PDA

View Full Version : Chromoly Muzzle Brakes

mound
09-10-2013, 2:08 PM
Any advantage over stainless steel? Disadvantages?

This would be for a .308 Rem700

Thanks guys!

Sent from my microwave

thegiff
09-10-2013, 3:48 PM
Chrome moly (4130) should be stronger but depends on its condition (annealed, normalized or hardened), is hardenable so can be made while soft then hardened. Can be blued. Rusts. Won't gall, especially if installed on a ss barrel. Can't be polished and shiny like stainless or at least won't stay shiny if polished.

SS most alloys not quite a strong, can't be blued, rusts really slowly, can gall if installed on stainless, but can be polished, and will match a ss barrel.

mound
09-10-2013, 3:59 PM
I will end up painting it flat black, I've read it's hard to paint chromoly.

And I did not know chromoly rusts...Thanks thegiff for the info! I guess I'll go stainless unless anyone here has a different suggestion?

LynnJr
09-10-2013, 5:15 PM
You can get it Melonized ,blued or painted but one opion that looks real spectacular is to polish the chro-moly to a high gloss then have it anodized black.
The two muzzlebrakes in the picture are over 15 years old.One is blued and the other is titanium.Bluing won't be a rust problem on the westcoast.

mound
09-10-2013, 6:00 PM
Thanks Lynn, I've decided to just spraypaint the damn thing and go with stainless as it's probably easier to paint than chromoly.

ar15barrels
09-10-2013, 6:45 PM
one opion that looks real spectacular is to polish the chro-moly to a high gloss then have it anodized black.

You can't anodize steel.
Perhaps you mean black oxide?