PDA

View Full Version : looking to get a mosin nagant.

macman9
09-09-2013, 4:55 PM
My local gun shop said they Could order a mosin for $130. Big 5 wants $199.
What is The going price for a mosin?
And If I they have to order it I wont know What kind of condition it will be in. Will it be trash Fair or good.
I really want 1 or 2 before next year. Dont know If should I pay more or take The change of getting a crap rifle.

NapalmCheese
09-09-2013, 5:13 PM
That's about the spread, $130 - $200+.

Some people are really into collecting Mosins, I'm not, I'm into them for the cheap ammo. They are good, tough guns but I would be hard pressed to pay $200 bucks for one that wasn't at least sort of special (numbers matching hex receiver at least) even then that's more than I would value it.

Some of the C&R places have Chinese type 53s for $100 if you are just looking for a cheap gun to high power plink with.

Gutz
09-09-2013, 5:17 PM
$130 isn't too bad.... I'd pick it up if the bore looks descent.

0351USMC
09-09-2013, 5:18 PM
I would wait for Mosin Sale from big 5. ($149-169 sale price)

mosinnagantm9130
09-09-2013, 5:21 PM
I'd look for a private sale here on CGN first. $130 isn't bad though.

Chaos47
09-09-2013, 5:55 PM
Nowadays 200 Cash and Carry FTF is about the going price for the run of a mill round, 220 for a Hex.
Carbines especially M38 are worth more.

California44
09-09-2013, 5:58 PM
The hex receiver is valued higher due to it likely being manufactured before the war before speed and volume was essential.

http://www.impactguns.com/russian-mosin-m9130-excellent-condition-with-accessories-m9130.aspx

E Michael
09-09-2013, 6:00 PM
Where are you from, this guy named berserker sales them around San Jose for a decent price and its cash and carry. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=820244

macman9
09-09-2013, 6:17 PM
Im in fresno. The thing is it has to be ordered. So i wont know What kind of condition it will be in. Im Looking for a scooter not. Not really in to collecting them.

Chaos47
09-09-2013, 6:18 PM
I'd look in the WTS section for one first.

BroncoBob
09-09-2013, 6:25 PM
I would think in todays climate the going price will be north of $150, if below that jump on it

macman9
09-09-2013, 6:30 PM
I have looked in wts section and there is Nothing local. And by The time i pay for The gun and shipping and transfer it will be well over $200. Local shops want $100 or better for transfers.
I guess I might just order one and see What I get. I dont really like big5.

NapalmCheese
09-09-2013, 6:36 PM
pay 35 dollars for a C&R, wait a couple of months, buy a crate.

macman9
09-09-2013, 6:49 PM
No thank on The c&r and buying a crate. Wont The c&r be useless after The end of The year. After next year dont they have to be shipped to a gunshop anyway. I Could be wrong.
After Looking around online $130 seems like an ok price. I just want one for plinking anyway.

NapalmCheese
09-09-2013, 7:04 PM
C&R won't be useless. You can still buy out of state and 'import' into CA. Likewise, having a C&R and a COE would be useful right now if you plan on buying multiple handguns and may or may not be useful depending on the pending legislation about ammo permits/licenses.

If you think you might like searching for interesting guns out of state then it might be worth exploring.

You could also just buy a single gun from any of the major suppliers and not pay the $100+ dollars someone quoted for internet transfers. Either way, you're saving at least $65 bucks.

Ogrewagon
09-09-2013, 7:14 PM
What shop are you look at ordering through here in Fresno?

I bought my Mosin from Big 5, and it's a great rifle. I got to choose from the three they had in, which made it easy to find one in good condition.

Ogrewagon
09-09-2013, 7:14 PM

I bought my Mosin from Big 5, and it's a great rifle. I got to choose from the three they had in, which made it easy to find one in good condition.

macman9
09-09-2013, 7:15 PM
I have looked in to The c&r and read how it works. But dont know If I would buy to many to make it worth it. And yes Its only $35. But The mosin is The only rifle i really want.
Im kicking myself for not buying one years ago when they use to be under $100.

macman9
09-09-2013, 7:19 PM

Prkarms. Big5 only had one in clovis. And they would not even take it off The rack so i Could have a look. I have never really liked them any way.

NapalmCheese
09-09-2013, 7:28 PM
I have looked in to The c&r and read how it works. But dont know If I would buy to many to make it worth it. And yes Its only $35. But The mosin is The only rifle i really want.
Im kicking myself for not buying one years ago when they use to be under $100.

Quick math (because I don't necessarily understand your situation).
If you can find a Mosin for $130 + $25 DROS + 9+% tax and NO transfer fees then you'll save $10 dollars over getting a C&R and ordering from an outside vendor (you'll also save time in that you can get it in 10 days instead of waiting for your license to come in and then waiting for the rifle to ship).

If you can find a Mosin for $130 + $25 DROS + 9+% tax + >$10 transfer fee you'll save money by just getting a C&R and being patient. You'll have the added bonus of being able to find fun C&R (not just milsurp) guns out of state, cash and carry, and bring them home.

If you spend $35 dollars for a C&R and are willing to gamble on how quickly you can order your Mosin online (like say a beater type 53 for $100 dollars) you won't have to pay DROS ($25 bucks) and you'll only be liable for taxes on that purchase at the end of the year.

IMO the more CA residents with a C&R we have the better.

Also realize you can buy C&R handguns out of state as well. As a gun enthusiast there is no reason to NOT have a C&R. So many fine shotguns, so many fine and historic rifles, and so many awesome handguns. Not all C&R is military surplus.

macman9
09-09-2013, 7:35 PM
Quick math (because I don't necessarily understand your situation).
If you can find a Mosin for $130 + $25 DROS + 9+% tax and NO transfer fees then you'll save $10 dollars over getting a C&R and ordering from an outside vendor (you'll also save time in that you can get it in 10 days instead of waiting for your license to come in and then waiting for the rifle to ship).

If you can find a Mosin for $130 + $25 DROS + 9+% tax + >$10 transfer fee you'll save money by just getting a C&R and being patient. You'll have the added bonus of being able to find fun C&R (not just milsurp) guns out of state, cash and carry, and bring them home.

If you spend $35 dollars for a C&R and are willing to gamble on how quickly you can order your Mosin online (like say a beater type 53 for $100 dollars) you won't have to pay DROS ($25 bucks) and you'll only be liable for taxes on that purchase at the end of the year.

IMO the more CA residents with a C&R we have the better.

Im not trying to start a fight over The whole c&r.
I was just trying to see If $130 is a good price for a mosin. Sorry.

NapalmCheese
09-09-2013, 7:53 PM
Im not trying to start a fight over The whole c&r.
I was just trying to see If $130 is a good price for a mosin. Sorry.

I'm just trying to elucidate why getting a C&R isn't a bad thing, even with past and impending legislation. Carry on and buy from whomever you prefer. No apology necessary. $130 is not a bad price at the moment.

macman9
09-09-2013, 8:08 PM
I'm just trying to elucidate why getting a C&R isn't a bad thing, even with past and impending legislation. Carry on and buy from whomever you prefer. No apology necessary. $130 is not a bad price at the moment.

Thanks. But I dont think a c&r will help me much. I shoot pistols more than anything. I just thought a mosin would be fun to shoot as a change. I have other rifles too But just have more fun with hand guns.

Im just going to order a mosin for The shop tomorrow. Thanks for The info.

DennisCA
09-10-2013, 6:23 PM
macman9: location?

I'll be selling one shortly, pm me

Spyder
09-10-2013, 7:02 PM
Where are you from, this guy named berserker sales them around San Jose for a decent price and its cash and carry. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=820244

Im in fresno. The thing is it has to be ordered. So i wont know What kind of condition it will be in. Im Looking for a scooter not. Not really in to collecting them.

Go all in and buy a few from Berserker. Good dude, with good prices and great rifles. Take a half a day and drive to San Jose, pick up a few rifles, and drive back home. They're cash and carry from a private person, as long as you're not a prohibited person.

macman9
09-10-2013, 7:46 PM
Go all in and buy a few from Berserker. Good dude, with good prices and great rifles. Take a half a day and drive to San Jose, pick up a few rifles, and drive back home. They're cash and carry from a private person, as long as you're not a prohibited person.

Im thinking about it now. If I can convince My dad to go. Im self employed with My dad. I would lose a whole day at work.
I know it depends on The date of The rifle But are all mosins Cash and Carry.