PDA

View Full Version : M77 replaced stock

DuknBucks
09-07-2013, 3:48 PM
Changed my Ruger M77 stock from wood to composite. Love the feel but im am a little concerned that the "fit" between the barrel and the stock is too tight. I understand the reasons for "free float" barrel but after taking to the range its still shoots the same groups at 100yards.

I have been advised by several folks to removed some material on the stock to free float but im really wondering if the pain of trying to work the composite will be worth it?

swifty
09-07-2013, 4:18 PM
It may or may not be worthwhile. What size groups are you getting now, and at what distance?

If the groups are the size you want, and they are consistently so, then I would leave it alone.

The pressure point can always be replaced if you decide to remove it now.

toby
09-07-2013, 4:51 PM
I free float all of my rifles regardless of how well they shoot at first, a pressure point is very easy to replace. Better to have a free floated barrel and not have to worry as much about the stock swelling,twisting,bending,flexing, touching the barrel at all. If after you free float and should it not shoot as well sometimes it's just a change in ammo or recipe.

TMB 1
09-07-2013, 5:12 PM
Some rifles just shoot better with a pressure point. I have two M77s both have pressure points. My old Savage 1920 has a screw for tuning in bottom of the stock.

russ69
09-07-2013, 6:49 PM
Some rifles just shoot better with a pressure point. I have two M77s both have pressure points...

Light weight barrels often need the pressure point.

Divernhunter
09-07-2013, 8:12 PM
I have 6-7 Ruger M77 rifles. Only one has not been freefloated. Only 3 still have wood stocks. My 338win mag is freefloated and the action bedded in the wood stock. The 30-06 Ultra-lite is as was from the factory. The 6mmRem is freefloated in the wood stock and will maybe get a syn stock also.

You can see what floating the barrel will do by shimming the action up temp and shooting it.

DuknBucks
09-08-2013, 7:49 PM
right now the .243 is shooting 1" groups at 100yds......my feeling is if every hunting rifle i own does that im happy.......

my older 77 has the composite stock (skeleton style) and it has pressure points and in 15 years its never lost zero at 100yds.....1" groups or less.....