PDA

View Full Version : Will the post Sandy-Hook ammo shortage be permanent?

RMP91
09-07-2013, 4:12 PM
It's been almost 9 months since Sandy Hook and lots of gun owners are still complaining about the lack of ammo not just here in CA, but all over the United States (and I would guess, the world too because folks there are being rationed ammo as well because of all this gun control talk).

I'm starting to think this just might be permanent if it has lasted this long. :(

mosinnagantm9130
09-07-2013, 4:16 PM
The one after Obama got elected in 2008 lasted about halfway to 3/4 through 2009...that one was just as bad as this one.

It'll come back, it's already starting to. I've found 600 rounds of CCI mini-mags at a LGS the past few weeks, so that's a good sign.

RMP91
09-07-2013, 4:18 PM
The one after Obama got elected in 2008 lasted about halfway to 3/4 through 2009...that one was just as bad as this one.

It'll come back, it's already starting to. I've found 600 rounds of CCI mini-mags at a LGS the past few weeks, so that's a good sign.

I was starting to think I'd never see *any* .22 ammo on the shelves ever again, :p

The reason I started this thread was because I noticed that on the NRA's Facebook page where they advertise new guns that the lion's share of the comments on it are something like "Useless without AMMO" "Would have been a nice gun if THERE WAS ANY AMMO!!!!" and such.

SteveMartin
09-07-2013, 5:41 PM
I was in Casper, WY a few weeks ago, and the local Wal*Mart had zero handgun ammo, but a good selection of rifle ammo and reloading components.

The Sportsman's Warehouse had a pretty good assortment of everything, but a 2 box limit. The only 22 there was 22 short. Pricing was not bad (still not worth buying and shipping, especially with the 2 box limit per day).

RMP91
09-07-2013, 10:33 PM
I was in Casper, WY a few weeks ago, and the local Wal*Mart had zero handgun ammo, but a good selection of rifle ammo and reloading components.

The Sportsman's Warehouse had a pretty good assortment of everything, but a 2 box limit. The only 22 there was 22 short. Pricing was not bad (still not worth buying and shipping, especially with the 2 box limit per day).

Here's to not jinxing it by talking about it... :(

4DMASTR
09-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Around Modesto most of the LGS and Big 5always have ammo on the shelf. I went to Bass pro today and lots of everything but .22. Its not over but it is way better than it was

RonnieP
09-08-2013, 12:35 AM
What ammo shortage?

sd_shooter
09-08-2013, 7:32 AM
Maybe it will be over in the rest of the country.

But here in KA things will get worse before they get better. The shortage will be severe until all the bills settle since you can still buy ammo online and at your LGS.

Once ammo registration steps in, there will be even less. Oh you'll be able to get 9mm/40/45, but if you have anything more interesting (C&R, Milsurps) forget it.

This is the perfect time to stock up. Think in terms of cases, not boxes. But enough to last you for a long time.

Danodog
09-08-2013, 7:50 AM
Maybe it will be over in the rest of the country.

But here in KA things will get worse before they get better. The shortage will be severe until all the bills settle since you can still buy ammo online and at your LGS.

Once ammo registration steps in, there will be even less. Oh you'll be able to get 9mm/40/45, but if you have anything more interesting (C&R, Milsurps) forget it.

This is the perfect time to stock up. Think in terms of cases, not boxes. But enough to last you for a long time.

Yep....SB53 will kill the feeding frenzy as so many, including myself are getting those last minute orders in.

PhillyGunner
09-08-2013, 8:17 AM
Spoke to a LGS a couple days ago, and they had some supply but at poor prices. They stated that they have orders "out" that are at better prices, and when those supplies arrive, the prices will be better.

FUD or no, I don't know, but that's what they suggested.

As for what will happen post any legislation becoming law...

mattj9090
09-09-2013, 9:01 PM
On my latest exploration of the formally fruitful shelves of Wall-E-World, I stumbled across a loan box of the ever elusive 9mm lugar. Some scientists even speculated that this species had gone extinct some time ago, but lo and behold, in front of my eyes rested a fine specimen of the Federalalis-Valuepacko. I have seen photos of its glorious red and black box in my colleague's journal, but there is no comparison between a captured image and the lustrous glow of its hues behind that locked pane of glass in the mid-afternoon florescent lighting of the Outdoor Section. What an exuberant encounter! Now, what would a man like myself do in an opportune situation such as this?...

I BOUGHT THE DAMN BOX AND SHOT THAT $H!T LAST WEEKEND!

Journal entry 9/9/2013
-Matt

09-09-2013, 9:14 PM
No ammo shortage just look at the adds on cal guns lots of it for sale at 3or4 times what it should be! Until people quit buying it from guys that are hanging out at Walmart to buy it all and resale it !
Long rifle should be no more then 2 or 3 cents a round.
I think someone going to get burnt when they can no longer sell online.

4 pages of ammo listed today

Clownpuncher
09-09-2013, 9:50 PM
I think things are slowly but surely starting to come back. Bass Pro had a ton of hunting calibers (06, 270, etc) and some other stuff. Wally world this weekend had 5.56 and all pistol except 9mm plus a bunch of hunting rounds, even some 308.
I was in Baltimore a couple of weeks ago and went to a couple of sporting goods stores as well as a Bass Pro. Lots of reloading components at standard prices (for brick and mortar).
Plus, lots of stuff is starting to stay in stock online for more than 30 seconds now.
My guess is another 6 months before we see some semblance of normal, unless there is another opportunity for the grabbers to wave a bloody shirt.

Stewdabaker23
09-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Sportsman's warehouse in twin falls Idaho has tons of 223/556, decent amount of 308, rarely has any 22lr, and usually has most pistol ammo. 3 box limit per caliber.

bohoki
09-10-2013, 7:18 PM
production has to quadruple in order to make up the difference in dealing with hoarders and re-sellers

hatidua
09-10-2013, 7:49 PM
Long rifle should be no more then 2 or 3 cents a round.

Yeah, I've got gray hair too. When was the last time you saw a box of .22 for $1 ($.02/rd)?!

Rickrock1
09-10-2013, 7:57 PM
Plenty of ammo available just need to be on it and ready to pay. The biggest shortage from popular cal is the 22lr and 9mm

Last month I scooped up some 22 CCI and Winchester 9 from SGammo and it was gone within minutes.

wjc
09-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Yes, a prudent person would assume this is the way of the future and plan accordingly.

formerTexan
09-11-2013, 1:29 AM
I was in Victoria BC a few weeks ago and the Wal-Mart there had quite bit of 100-rnd and 50-rnd boxes of 22LR. Most centerfire rifle hunting rounds, including 303 British. Shotgun shells, as well. No handgun calibers, however.

The local Sportsman Warehouse in Portland can keep 22LR on the shelf for most of the day when their truck comes in. 223/556 is constantly on the shelf, because the cheapest stuff they have is the 1000 rnds AE223 for 499. 20 round boxes are 9.99 and up. One Wal-Mart still has the 1000 rnd M855 boxes, 6 of them in fact. They only put 2 out because of space limits.

Federal has been shipping lots of 22LR and 223/556 out to Wal-Mart lately. Don't know if this is break in the dry spell, before another long wait, or if this is the new normal where it is shipping out lots every week. Almost every store in the area has had the Fed 22LR 550 packs twice since last Friday. Some stores get 30-50 boxes in one shipment. They all go within 2-8 hours though.