PDA

View Full Version : Question: Pig Hunting with a Marlin 1894 Cowboy

Rebel
09-06-2013, 9:40 AM
Howdy,

A friend and I are thinking of doing a pig hunt, and my weapon of choice is a Marlin Model 1894 Cowboy chambered in .45 Colt. This is my choice mostly because I already own one and don't have the cash to get another rifle :D

I want to know if anyone has pig hunted with a .45 Colt lever gun and, if so, what loads did you use? I have access to a reloading setup so I can make my own loads if need be, though I actually have 2 boxes of Leverevolution squirreled away.

Thanks,
Rebel

Ninask
09-06-2013, 9:59 AM
I have a 45 lc in a pump,
seems a little anemic, esp. for pigs, but a well placed shot will definitely do the job

Divernhunter
09-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Not my 1st choice but will work. Get close and shot placement is important.
Good luck.
If you plan to do much hunting do youself a favor and buy a rifle that will not handicap you so much. That does NOT mean a 223.
I took several deer with a 44mag. But I got up close and placed my shot properly.

Tom-ADC
09-06-2013, 10:17 AM
I load Winchester 296 with a 260 grain JHP bullet 20 grs & CCI 350 mag primer gives 1100 FPS and I'm sure the energy is high.

Also look at Hodgdons site for 45 Colt loads for T/C & Ruger Blackhawk only.

Rebel
09-06-2013, 11:42 AM
I've heard good (and expensive) things about Buffalo Big Bore ammo for hunting. Eventually I want to get a Marlin .30-30 but that's down the road. I'm a fan of lever guns, and they seem to do the job for hunting. I'm not interested in buying a dedicated hunting gun as i don't ever see myself becoming an avid hunter.

Tom - I will look into that. Thank you.

MongooseV8
09-06-2013, 11:51 AM
The 45 Colt is very potent when loaded correctly. I shoot 250 grain HP at 1400 FPS through my Marlin Cowboy. If you aren't going to be hunting in the condor zone a hardcast lead bullets will punch a hole right through a boar. Don't feel undergunned, just make a good hit.

Tom-ADC
09-06-2013, 11:53 AM
If you use Winchester 296 notice it has a narrow band you must load in. I do like it in 357,44 mag & 45LC. I even load it for 30 carbine.

3006mv
09-07-2013, 12:26 PM
+1 buffalo boar
Close second http://www.midwayusa.com/product/840114/barnes-vor-tx-ammunition-45-colt-long-colt-200-grain-xpb-hollow-point-lead-free-box-of-20

fighter4cage
09-07-2013, 12:56 PM
That weapon will do the job if you can get close enough, "But" bare in mind that many shots at wild pigs are made at long yards.

If you are hunting private land and able to stalk "un-pressured pigs", shots under 100 yards are possible.

If you are hunting on open range or public land, Your average shot will be well over 100 yards (200-400 yards or more)

Pigs will head for heavy cover after a hit, So accuracy is important with these guys...

No matter which load you choose, you will need to get within 150 yards to be accurate.

3006mv
09-07-2013, 6:33 PM
or maybe reload with these!
https://www.hornady.com/store/45-Cal-.452-250-gr-FTX-for-450-Bushmaster/

otteray
09-07-2013, 8:40 PM
Don't forget to use non-lead in the so-called "Condor Zone."
Barnes might make them in .45 Colt.

Rideordie805
09-08-2013, 2:00 AM
If you really like your Marlin lever I highly recommend the Marlin Classic 1895 big bore. I know you stated you were not looking to buy but if you want a great all around cartridge I highly recommend the 45-70. Granted if your not in the "condor" zone. Rounds are expensive yes, rounds hard to find yes. Luckily I reload all my brass. But for an all around lever gun that can take anything in North America its a great caliber.

Barbarosa
09-09-2013, 3:40 PM
I use to hunt feral pigs with my Contender handgun with an 8" barrel. It was very effective, so I would imagine your lever gun will do just fine.

BroncoBob
09-09-2013, 6:07 PM
I would not hunt feral pigs with a 45 colt, I've seen pigs keep going after being hit in the face from a 30-06. Just my $0.2

NapalmCheese
09-09-2013, 6:45 PM
There's two schools of thoughts on feral pigs:
ZOMG they are armor plated and best hunted with African dangerous game calibers of at least .375 H&H lest they attack you for pissing them off by shooting them with a lesser caliber.

and

Put a slug with decent energy/construction into it's boiler maker and watch it die.

That being said, this ammo (https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=253) in your gun is good for 950 lbs or so out to 100 yards with a tough bullet that should penetrate well. If you hit the pig in the heart lung area at 100 yards, and the pig somehow sees you and decides it needs to try and kill you, you'll have plenty of time to follow up shots.

For various reasons (I have no idea about your shooting acumen and don't even know if you hunt, for all I know you're some random schmo that feels a need to shoot something with no plan to take hunter safety, get a license, get tags and do your best to make a quick humane kill) I wouldn't take a shot past 100 yards if I were you anyway.

Don't take my word for it though, I'm not a successful pig hunter. I've tried with bows and rifles but have yet to come home with pork. Out of state deer and antelope however, are a different story.

ElvenSoul
09-09-2013, 6:51 PM
Taken pigs with 7.62x39 from a sks

NapalmCheese
09-09-2013, 6:58 PM
As an adjunct to what I posted earlier, the Winchester Razorback .223 ammo makes 990 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards in whatever test barrel they use (probably 24 inches).

Ergo, hot .45 Long Colt is not entirely dissimilar to .223, but with a larger frontal area that will adversely affect penetration but will positively affect damaged tissue (.223 ammo can expand to, say, double, .45 ammo starts at double the frontal area of .223 and expands to something bigger).

Cool Custard
09-09-2013, 7:09 PM
Buffalo bore has some great ammo! I got some real hot stuff for my marlin in 45-70 and the 1st shot definitely woke me up!!! Need to keep my head down and the gun pressed a little more firmly pressed into my shoulder. I think in 45 LC you would be fine. There are some Internet articles about loading up the colt pretty hot iirc.

Ninask
09-09-2013, 7:17 PM
As an adjunct to what I posted earlier, the Winchester Razorback .223 ammo makes 990 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards in whatever test barrel they use (probably 24 inches).

Ergo, hot .45 Long Colt is not entirely dissimilar to .223, but with a larger frontal area that will adversely affect penetration but will positively affect damaged tissue (.223 ammo can expand to, say, double, .45 ammo starts at double the frontal area of .223 and expands to something bigger).

45lc and 223 are apples and oranges, 223 gets its terminal effect from velocity and penetration,
the 45lc from its large frontal surface imparting shock and a heavy bullet for punching through bone etc.

ss1442
09-09-2013, 7:36 PM
Most of the people I know that hunt hogs use knife after the dogs get a hold of them. :D

NapalmCheese
09-09-2013, 7:45 PM
45lc and 223 are apples and oranges, 223 gets its terminal effect from velocity and penetration,
the 45lc from its large frontal surface imparting shock and a heavy bullet for punching through bone etc.

Yes, but when both are making similar energy levels at a certain distance (as is the case, they both make similar energy levels at 100 yards) they can be compared effectively.

The .45, unexpanded, has as much frontal area as the .223 once expanded. Even if the velocity is not high enough to fully expand the .45 at 100 yards, it will still have as much frontal area as the .223 (assuming it DID have enough velocity to expand at 100 yards). The energy levels are very smilar, and energy being 1/2mv^2 (that is, the energy equation takes into account the disparities in velocity and weight, thereby accounting for momentum), they should both penetrate to similar levels (in the perfect world of physics).

If your argument is that the terminal effects of both rounds are different, then I don't know, I've never shot anything living with either. If your argument is that the terminal ballistics of both are different at 100 yards I would agree. I imagine the wounding characteristics would be different for both. The .223 would encounter the skin and gristle plate with a .223 caliber bullet than expands after some amount of penetration, therefore it would hit with 990 ft/lbs of energy and a small frontal area that would create higher pressure and allow potentially better penetration. The .45 would hit with higher frontal area at roughly 950 ft/lbs of energy and encounter more resistance/lower pressure (pressure being force/area) but carries more inertia being roughly 4 times heavier than the .223 slug.

It is my opinion that both calibers are marginal for feral pigs when you consider that it is your responsibility as a hunter to make quick, humane kills; but I wouldn't feel undergunned (again, I feel fine chasing pigs with a bow, unless I actually shoot one and have it eat me someday).

Biigg50
09-09-2013, 8:36 PM
I have shot many pigs in NorCal with my trusty Winchester 94 SRC in 45 LC. It is my gun of choice because it gets it done. I have one load just for pigs it has a 335gr hard cast wide flat nose bullet that out of my 16" barrel is doing approx 1680 fps. There is nothing anemic about that.
Next best thing is the Buffalo Bore 325 gr load going almost as fast.
Buffalo bore does load a Barnes copper bullet as well for lead free areas, just never tried it yet.
Check out Extreme Impact Ammo for Buffalo Bore much cheaper than ordering direct.

TackyDriver
09-09-2013, 11:32 PM
I have hunted pigs only a couple of times. I've been interested in buying a Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt for a while and will get one after I get a Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt. I am interested in how your hunt works out.

I agree with Rideordie both about the 45-70 and Bufalobore ammo. If you don't reload, it's worth the price. Just don't get carried away with your practice shots. My Marlin 1895 loved the 350 gr. JFPs so I didn't need many practice shots.

I also agree that you should be fine within 100 yards. Just take enough time to place your shot where it will be the most effective and humane. If not, then pass on it for a better opportunity. Hogs aren't going anywhere and there'll be other chances. Besides, if you can regularly stalk a hog to 100 yards or less, then you'll be the man.

Since I plan on handgun hunting in the future, the 1894 seemes a logical step in my de-evolution. Like I said, I'm interested in hearing your experience so please let us know. Good Luck

ballyhoo
09-10-2013, 6:38 AM
I hunted pigs on private land in Cali this year and our group did really well. Out of six pigs shot, all the shots were from about 100-200 yards. We were able to get pretty close to some groups of hogs, but unfortunately they were sows with piglets.

We used traditional hunting calibers: 270 Win and 30-06. One of the guys has a 300 Weatherby Mag. All six pigs were hit by these rounds (copper) in the perfect spot and they were fatal hits. Five of the six ran between 75 and 200 yards.

During the field dressing of these five pigs, the guides showed us how the rounds went thru both lungs and the heart. The hearts of these five pigs were liquefied. One of these pigs took a follow up head shot after 10 minutes of getting up and down.

The sixth pig was hit right in the armor plate on the shoulder with the 300 Weatherby Mag. The exit wound on the opposite shoulder was devastating and broke that shoulder plate in half. That pig ran close to 75 yards uphill before going down.

All of our shots were thru and thru.

I think if you are in an area where you can shoot lead and can get close enough, the 45LC will do the job with proper shot placement.

It is true how tough these pigs are. I just could not believe how far they could run with a fatal hit and liquefied heart.

dangerranger
09-10-2013, 8:46 PM
I hunt in the thick brush where a 100 yd shot is a long shot. I use a marlin in 45 colt, and a H&R Classic carbine in 45 colt. I have used 255 gr lead bullets but my new favorite is the Lee 300gr flat point. Poured with hard cast lead they do a number on a hogs shoulder! If you listen to those on the web anything under 50BMG is a gamble, But from someone who has shot a few the 45 colt is nothing to worry about. I would be comfortable out to 150yds easily. If my gun was scoped Id open that to 200 yds. My top end 45 colt loads easily approch the lower end 45-70 loads. the only thing about loading for the rifle is you need to be sure they dont end up in an old colt pistol! Good luck DR