PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg MVP PATROL

Moemoe1
09-05-2013, 2:52 PM
Just picked it up from Turners :D it's crazy how lightweight this rifle is I will try to post some pictures of it when I get home. Does anyone else have one!?

bubbasks
09-05-2013, 2:58 PM
I have the 24" varminter and love it

k1dude
09-05-2013, 5:08 PM
I wish they would hurry up and release the .308 version.

rxl
09-05-2013, 10:54 PM
I have one on order with Turners. Did you have to wait long for yours?

Moemoe1
09-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Having trouble uploading pics. Will try with the imjur tomorrow. @rxl nope it was in stock and the last one too.

Nrai2020
09-08-2013, 11:18 PM

When is that suppose to come out? I hope soon?

BHPFan
09-09-2013, 4:50 AM

Why not buy a Ruger Gunsite Scout, which is in .308?

That being said, if Mossberg releases a .308 version, is it gonna be using Magpul/SR-25 mags or Armalite mags or M1A/M14 mags? I think it would be a great seller if it uses either Magpul or M1A mags.

bubbasks
09-09-2013, 5:58 AM
All reviews say sr-25/dpms pattern

gorenut
09-10-2013, 11:30 AM
yeah.. I'm currently debating if I should go for the MVP Patrol or the Ruger Scout. It really comes down to I want a lightweight bolt action carbine with iron sights and 10-round detachable mag, but can't decide if I wanna go 223 or 308. I have no real-world applications for either other than just having fun at the range so the 223 might be more practical. 308 would definitely double up better as an all-purpose rifle, but its not like I live in the woods or anything.

I wouldn't mind a CZ 527 either.. but their mags are expensive (and not sure if they have 10 rounders). At least the Ruger Scout has factory poly mags that are great, able to top-load, and relatively cheap.

Either way.. Mossberg has a neat rifle in their arsenal and one I've followed for quite some time.

bigchelis
09-10-2013, 11:57 AM
yeah.. I'm currently debating if I should go for the MVP Patrol or the Ruger Scout. It really comes down to I want a lightweight bolt action carbine with iron sights and 10-round detachable mag, but can't decide if I wanna go 223 or 308. I have no real-world applications for either other than just having fun at the range so the 223 might be more practical. 308 would definitely double up better as an all-purpose rifle, but its not like I live in the woods or anything.

I wouldn't mind a CZ 527 either.. but their mags are expensive (and not sure if they have 10 rounders). At least the Ruger Scout has factory poly mags that are great, able to top-load, and relatively cheap.

Either way.. Mossberg has a neat rifle in their arsenal and one I've followed for quite some time.

The CZ527 American only comes in 5 round expensive mags, but that 1lbs set trigger does wonders during bench shooting.

bigC

gorenut
09-10-2013, 1:15 PM
The CZ527 American only comes in 5 round expensive mags, but that 1lbs set trigger does wonders during bench shooting.

bigC

Ditto. Even though I prefer to shoot irons.. I still like the option to mount optics. I know the one downside to the 527 is that you need high scope rings to mount certain optics unless you modify the bolt.

Standard
09-10-2013, 1:29 PM
Looks like a neat rifle in concept. Looking forward to pics and a review.
I wouldn't mind one with a 1-4x or something, though I always enjoy shooting irons.
May I ask how much it cost?

Moemoe1
09-10-2013, 3:58 PM
http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b519/nismoee/th_image_zps8f2d9e91.jpg (http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/nismoee/media/image_zps8f2d9e91.jpg.html)

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b519/nismoee/th_image_zps890ec4fd.jpg (http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/nismoee/media/image_zps890ec4fd.jpg.html)
Sorry for the horrible picture quality. Been really busy lately. I've tried all the AR mags that I have and they all fit and cycle smoothly. The rifle was dry when I got it so I put a little froglube on the bolt and it's extremely smooth. Their is some wiggle with the magazines though but nothin problematic. I love the iron sights it has, as you can see in the picture. Just need to take it to the range and find a nice optic for it. Weights around 7.5lbs loaded really really lightweight

Moemoe1
09-10-2013, 3:58 PM
Out the door is cost me $628.00

smittty
09-10-2013, 6:20 PM
I love the concept of the Patrol rifle and if I didn't already have the Predator I'd have bought the Patrol when I saw it 2 weeks ago. I think it's a very versatile gun.

I also owned the CZ 527 for a shirt while and it's pretty good but it's not an equal comparison. It's higher quality but not "better" IMO. It's longer, magazine limited to 5 rounds max and needs modification if you intend touse a scope.

The Patrol will be released in 308 hopefully this year but I won't buy one. It's way more caliber than I want to shoot or buy. If they do it in 7.62x39 that takes AK mags I'd be all over it.

Nrai2020
09-10-2013, 11:12 PM

That being said, if Mossberg releases a .308 version, is it gonna be using Magpul/SR-25 mags or Armalite mags or M1A/M14 mags? I think it would be a great seller if it uses either Magpul or M1A mags.

The ruger scout seemed like a pretty sweet gun when I handled one at Turners last week.. I like that the Mossberg can take larger mags (SHTF purposes and what not)..

Moemoe1
09-10-2013, 11:24 PM
The ruger scout seemed like a pretty sweet gun when I handled one at Turners last week.. I like that the Mossberg can take larger mags (SHTF purposes and what not)..

That's one of the reasons why I picked up the MVP. I will be able to use my primary's ammunition and magazines without modification. It's a good SHTF rifle for MY needs. I also like the threaded barrel option and trigger pull adjuster :D

alvarezbar1
09-11-2013, 5:32 AM
now just needs a cerakote! lol

hossb7
09-11-2013, 11:11 AM

Even if the Ruger Gunsite Scout came in .223, i'd still lean towards the Mossberg MVP for the sole reason of it using AR magazines.

bruss01
09-11-2013, 1:09 PM
I don't see much use for the 5.56 version but I could definitely see owning a .308 as a scout rifle concept. That it would share mags with my .308 AR (SR25/DPMS) gives it an edge over the Ruger Scout IMHO. I will buy one of these and put a great hunting/sniping scope on it.

madhouse
09-11-2013, 2:24 PM
Do yourself a favor and read several reviews of Ruger Gunsite. From what I got out of it the Ruger left a little to be desired. Barrel length was a little on the loud
end, bolt a little problematic and accuracy not top shelf and heavy trigger. The reviews on the Mossberg were pretty much the opposite. But all boils down to expectations, the Ruger does look nice.:)

Nrai2020
09-11-2013, 3:53 PM
I saw them recently for $499 (varmint 20 inch version) .. Worth it?

tmh1
09-11-2013, 4:03 PM
Fortunately the MVP Patrols seem to be coming on-line with gun stores. I just got the notification today from Grabagun that they had some 27716's come in:
http://grabagun.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/o/mosspic27716.jpg.jpg
Their price was just under $512 shipped to your FFL.

They are gone now. I would have bought one but with SB347 voted through yesterday my funds are tied up in AR land.

Moemoe1
09-11-2013, 4:22 PM
I saw them recently for $499 (varmint 20 inch version) .. Worth it?

Seems like a good price. But the varmint and the Patrol are two different rifles in my opinion. No sights, no threaded barrel and it has a longer barrel too compared to the patrol 16.25 I got mine for $520 from turners after all taxes and fees came out to $628otd

Standard
09-11-2013, 4:34 PM
I think I'll get one next year, as I don't really care if it's registered. I'll finish out the year with semi autos.

Moemoe1
09-11-2013, 4:40 PM
I'm with you brotha. Just wanted something different from semi autos and since I don't own any bolt action what's better than a an MVP that takes PMAGS and shoots 5.56!! Lol

tmh1
09-11-2013, 5:48 PM
...what's better than a an MVP that takes PMAGS and shoots 5.56!! Lol
My thoughts too. Consistency across platforms is always a good thing.

postal
09-11-2013, 6:21 PM
My thoughts too. Consistency across platforms is always a good thing.

See... this is what I dont get.....

If you already have an AR or several.... why the need for a bolt gun in the same cartridge?

It's like saying "I have a motorcycle, but I'm gonna take the scooter today".

I only have 2 AR's- one is short and light with red dot and BUIS-

The other will be a 'varminter' style longer stainless barrel with scope only.

Between the 2, I have accross the room, out to about 5-600 yards covered...

Why would I go bolt gun in the same cartridge that would fit the SAME role as the varminter, except slower follow up shots?

Now... the 308 does fill a purpose beyond that.... going beyond 600 yards... So the it fills a different role of heavy hitter from say 3-400 out to 800+...

Just wondering why people are so excited about it.

I suppose to dip your toes in the pool with bolt guns/some varminting/paper punching would be fun.... but as a truely usefull ROLE that wouldnt likely already be covered by someones existing AR/AR's is :confused:

Moemoe1
09-11-2013, 6:25 PM
Because I only own 1 AR. If something were to ever happen to it during a SHTF scenario I won't need to worry about finding another gun that uses the same cartridge and magazines. Also because I can lol

3006mv
09-12-2013, 11:32 AM
How often do you shoot your ar's?
Just wondering. I am a reloader and i can and do shoot and load alot of ammo, say more than the average shooter. Lately I find myself shooting my bolt actions much more than the semiautos, mostly to save on components. Takes a lot more time to shoot a bolty, and more fun to me b/c of greater accuracy too. However I got into bolt actions years before I even thought about getting an ar. I would be interested in a 7.62x 35 bolty and would probably shoot it more than my upper in that caliber.

Standard
09-12-2013, 1:18 PM

If you already have an AR or several.... why the need for a bolt gun in the same cartridge?

It's like saying "I have a motorcycle, but I'm gonna take the scooter today".

I only have 2 AR's- one is short and light with red dot and BUIS-

The other will be a 'varminter' style longer stainless barrel with scope only.

Between the 2, I have accross the room, out to about 5-600 yards covered...

Why would I go bolt gun in the same cartridge that would fit the SAME role as the varminter, except slower follow up shots?

Now... the 308 does fill a purpose beyond that.... going beyond 600 yards... So the it fills a different role of heavy hitter from say 3-400 out to 800+...

Just wondering why people are so excited about it.

I suppose to dip your toes in the pool with bolt guns/some varminting/paper punching would be fun.... but as a truely usefull ROLE that wouldnt likely already be covered by someones existing AR/AR's is :confused:

Because variety is fun.
Because owning an AR in CA can be a PITA sometimes.
Because working a bolt can be fun, kind of like driving a manual transmission when you have an auto available.
Because one likes the feel of a traditional rifle stock.
Because one likes the look of a nice bolt gun.

Not everything has to be a strictly logical and utilitarian exercise.

unusedusername
09-12-2013, 1:45 PM

Because too many BLM and NF rangers have never heard of featureless ARs and .308 is too expensive for me to plink with.

Moemoe1
09-12-2013, 2:13 PM
Just wondering. I am a reloader and i can and do shoot and load alot of ammo, say more than the average shooter. Lately I find myself shooting my bolt actions much more than the semiautos, mostly to save on components. Takes a lot more time to shoot a bolty, and more fun to me b/c of greater accuracy too. However I got into bolt actions years before I even thought about getting an ar. I would be interested in a 7.62x 35 bolty and would probably shoot it more than my upper in that caliber.

Been shooting it since I was 18 I would be shooting around 650 rounds a week. Now it's slowed down and shoot around 500 rounds a month. I don't reload just look for the best deals online. But I've always wanted a bolt action since I like the feel of manually cycling it. Like someone said above me it feels good to drive a manual car sometimes not just autos. lol my AR might be in the safe for a while.

-hanko
09-12-2013, 2:43 PM
Do yourself a favor and read several reviews of Ruger Gunsite. From what I got out of it the Ruger left a little to be desired.

Barrel length was a little on the loud end, bolt a little problematic and accuracy not top shelf and heavy trigger. The reviews on the Mossberg were pretty much the opposite. But all boils down to expectations, the Ruger does look nice.:)
You forgot the part about the Ruger being phenomenally overpriced. ;)

3006mv
09-12-2013, 3:45 PM
Been shooting it since I was 18 I would be shooting around 650 rounds a week. Now it's slowed down and shoot around 500 rounds a month. I don't reload just look for the best deals online. But I've always wanted a bolt action since I like the feel of manually cycling it. Like someone said above me it feels good to drive a manual car sometimes not just autos. lol my AR might be in the safe for a while.

That's cool, oh I was kinda referring to the guy who posted before you, sorry.
But shoot that MVP a lot and get proficient with it. I bet it is also lighter than at least my AR
Also get into reloading, save your brass now. You can make that thing sub moa with your reloads I bet.
I really want a scout scoped 7.62x35 version. Hope mossberg is listening....

postal
09-12-2013, 4:43 PM

Last weekend I shot about 35 rounds of 308 out of the bolt gun, and about 80 through the AR. I reload. I brought a few hundred 223, but only shot about 80. I recently loaded up 750... I brought about 80 rounds of 308 and only shot 7- 5 shot groups. Couple hundred of 22lr and about 50 rounds through the 45acp. It was a fun couple hours. I was just function checking the 45. I remember a couple months ago I had to drop out of an IDPA match because of feeding issues.... that IDPA match can run about 200-250 rounds.

I like bringing buckets of ammo. Shoot what I want and usually return home with ammo.

As to taking longer to shoot... not really.... I used to run a blind mag top feeder in the competitions... and could get 10 aimed shots out in less than a minute. Sure- 10 rounds in an AR can be faster, but while actually *aiming* not a lot faster.

As to more accurate... it would depend solely on your upper.

855R
09-13-2013, 4:21 PM

yeah but they look so cool!! And I'm not helping getting them priced lower I bought one too:)

Forrestchump
09-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Anyone see the MVP flex? that thing looks pretty cool imo

Gem1950
09-15-2013, 6:26 AM

Hmmm. Perhaps. One could say the same about the Steyr. Sometimes you get what you pay for. The GSR sells like it does because feature for feature, dollar for dollar it stands alone.

Nrai2020
09-15-2013, 6:48 PM
Personally I was interested in an MVP or more likely the 20 inch varmint version as an entry bolt gun.. it ll be my first and I think I ll be able to shoot it more being that its .223 at .25-.40 cents vs a .308 at .70 - $1.00?

Like others have said there is just something inherently fun with operating a bolt... like driving a stick shift.

Nrai2020
09-15-2013, 6:48 PM
Also just to verify what I m 95% sure about.. SB 374 will not effect the MVP or varminter right?

hardlyworking
09-16-2013, 5:34 AM
Not a semi-auto, does not apply

SMarquez
09-16-2013, 6:09 PM
I fondled a Varmint in .223 at Bass Pro the other day. I like the feel of rifle and the dark gray laminated stock. It would be a good little step brother for my 700p in .308

3006mv
09-16-2013, 6:25 PM
Have you pulled it from the stock? Was wondering what the bedding was like. Pillar, massive block?

smittty
10-05-2013, 9:44 AM
Have you pulled it from the stock? Was wondering what the bedding was like. Pillar, massive block?

It's bedded just like a Remington 700.

Masterdebater
10-06-2013, 8:49 PM
i have the 24 inch varmint model and its an absolute tack driver with my handloads. for those of you who have one the Jard trigger for the 4x4 rifle fits in the mvp as well.

bubbasks
10-07-2013, 6:16 AM
i have the 24 inch varmint model and its an absolute tack driver with my handloads. for those of you who have one the Jard trigger for the 4x4 rifle fits in the mvp as well.

Oh reallllly? Thanks for the tip!

axhoaxho
10-07-2013, 9:08 AM
I have a MVP Predator, and I love this rifle especially for its price.

Whenever I shoot my AR (or my friends shoot theirs :)) at the range, I bring my MVP. Uses the same ammos and magazines, shoots and recoil straight, nice trigger for the money, lots of fun, and a brisk to clean.

tacticalcity
10-07-2013, 10:35 AM
:useless:

Renaissance Redneck
10-08-2013, 7:40 AM
I don't like the feel of the bolt while cycling the action in my MVP. I'm used to my Rem700, though, so I'm spoiled. I didn't actually go out in search of an MVP; I got it new in box in a barter trade with a friend. The MVP is pretty accurate, and a nice predator rifle for my purposes. I wish the MVP were available in a left-handed action; I e-mailed Mossberg and they have no immediate plans to make one. I wished it were a Ruger Gunsite Scout Left Hand. I'm going to build my Rem700 into a custom scout rifle instead of buying a Scout-type out of the box. I would not get an MVP again, but I'm keeping mine nonetheless (I don't get rid of ANY guns).

vincewarde
10-08-2013, 9:56 PM
I love Ruger products, own lots, and even owned some Ruger stock - but unless you are a hunter who only needs one mag, or one that uses strippers (like my Yugo Scout), magazine cost and availability - as well as capacity - are very important concerns. Ruger Scout rifle mags aren't propitiatory but they aren't cheap either and the highest capacity I have seen is ten. (I know, we can't buy anything bigger in CA anyway - but what if you move out of state.) Mossberg has addressed this by creating guns that use very common magazines available in several capacities. If AB374 becomes law, we all may be looking for guns like these......

smittty
10-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Mossberg has addressed this by creating guns that use very common magazines available in several capacities. If AB374 becomes law, we all may be looking for guns like these......

I bought my Predator before they introduced AB374 yet I felt all those same concerns answered in this rifle. Mine will hit dimes at 100 yards all day. I have shot it out to 400 yards easily hitting 6" plates.

The new magpul 10 rounders work nicely in it. Mine has a Weaver grand slam 3-10 Tactical scope. It light weight like a hunting rifle but shoots like a precision rifle. Overall a great gun!

Rigma
10-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Having a hard time finding the Predator model in my area (at least that is not insultingly overpriced). I would prefer the Predator stock, so assuming the Varmint model is the same barrel but longer (I can live with that), could I buy the Varmint and put a Predator stock on it?

My google-fu has come up with nothing and I ask because I e-mailed Mossberg about buying a replacement stock 2 weeks ago and have had no answer.

bubbasks
10-09-2013, 6:12 AM
Check armslist for Sacramento. Theres a shop advertising a varminter

Full Clip
10-09-2013, 6:19 AM
If they do it in 7.62x39 that takes AK mags I'd be all over it.

That would be pretty sweet, even if it only took x39 AR mags.

smittty
10-09-2013, 8:04 AM
Having a hard time finding the Predator model in my area (at least that is not insultingly overpriced). I would prefer the Predator stock, so assuming the Varmint model is the same barrel but longer (I can live with that), could I buy the Varmint and put a Predator stock on it?

My google-fu has come up with nothing and I ask because I e-mailed Mossberg about buying a replacement stock 2 weeks ago and have had no answer.

Your google-fu is weak. 31 in stock from Davidsons Gallery of Guns. Search their site with your zip code and order thru your favorite ffl.
http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/subsites/inven_product.asp?dealer_id=161558&item=27711&instock=in&manufact_combo=Mossberg&mod_ser_combo=None&category_combo=2&model=None&g_type=None&act_type=&finish_type=None&calib_combo=223&sight_class_combo=None&price_range=None&left_handed=&youth=&Offset_rec=0&num_rec=50&item_num=

TMB 1
10-09-2013, 1:37 PM

Pester Boyds Stock maybe they'll start making them. They have a form you can fill out on their web site for the make& model firearm and type stock you would like to see them make.

LBDamned
10-09-2013, 2:49 PM
Wish I could find a Patrol... I knew I should have nabbed the one Rifle Gear had a few weeks ago:o

mikeinla
10-09-2013, 6:31 PM
Wish I could find a Patrol... I knew I should have nabbed the one Rifle Gear had a few weeks ago:o

Turners Pasadena had one two days ago when I was there. It was selling for $569 or $579

LBDamned
10-09-2013, 6:46 PM
Turners Pasadena had one two days ago when I was there. It was selling for $569 or $579

Dang - I wish I knew this earlier today:(

Thanks for the heads up though - maybe I'll get lucky

Rigma
10-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Your google-fu is weak. 31 in stock from Davidsons Gallery of Guns. Search their site with your zip code and order thru your favorite ffl.
http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/subsites/inven_product.asp?dealer_id=161558&item=27711&instock=in&manufact_combo=Mossberg&mod_ser_combo=None&category_combo=2&model=None&g_type=None&act_type=&finish_type=None&calib_combo=223&sight_class_combo=None&price_range=None&left_handed=&youth=&Offset_rec=0&num_rec=50&item_num=

When I search with my zip code the price is considerably higher... Anyway, thank you! Since the google-fu is strong with you, can you find one in the 18.5" med. bull barrel instead of the 20" Sporter?

It appears everyone can find the 20" sporters, but does anyone have a 18.5" med. bull barrel?

Here is the reality. I have a Rem 700 BDL in .270 that covers large(ish) hunting requirements.

I don't hunt predators because I have not been drawn to it by those that educated me on hunting (because they did not have the interest). It sounds very interesting, but is not my reason for wanting a MVP Predator.

My reason, and reason for wanting the 18.5" bull barrel version is that the primary use will be at the range. So, since it the goal is not hunting, and the 5.56 cartridge and magazines to hold the round is something I already have in quantity, it seems the best option.

I would love to plunk down the $$$ on a .308 rifle, but the cost effective choice (since that is a consideration) is the MVP with a 18.5" med bull barrel with the preferred predator stock because it seems to be the more logical choice given my requirements.

I want it as a trainer to move up from what my .22 currently has to offer. The MVP seems to be not only a great predator rifle, but seems to be a great choice for that purpose.

smittty
10-10-2013, 7:41 PM
You know I did not realize it had the 20" barrel. Mine has the 18.5". They had a truck load of the 18.5" a while back and I posted a "heads up" email here.

Keep checking Davidsons "new arrivals" on a daily basis and jump on it when they get it. I check that daily in case one of my "wants" shows up.

Rigma
10-10-2013, 10:54 PM
You know I did not realize it had the 20" barrel. Mine has the 18.5". They had a truck load of the 18.5" a while back and I posted a "heads up" email here.

Keep checking Davidsons "new arrivals" on a daily basis and jump on it when they get it. I check that daily in case one of my "wants" shows up.

Good idea, I will do that. Thanks. I have secured a preferred local FFL for transfer just in case.

To the OP, sorry for the thread jack, sometimes it is better then starting yet another thread on a similar topic.

Shopping optics now so I am ready.

bubbasks
10-11-2013, 6:20 AM
Shopping optics now so I am ready.

Might i suggest an m or p 223. They work amazingly on one.

smittty
10-11-2013, 6:38 PM

Weaver Tactical Grand Slam 3-10x40 is perfect on these rifles.

LBDamned
10-11-2013, 7:40 PM

thanks again for the heads up on this... I called a couple local Turners and started DROS on one at Norwalk...

I was pretty set on purchasing even before shouldering one... but I must say, it felt a little "chintzy"... however, for the price and purpose, I think it's a good buy and I'm happy to add it as a versatile option.

bubbasks
10-12-2013, 8:24 AM
Weaver Tactical Grand Slam 3-10x40 is perfect on these rifles.

I got to lookin at those but had thr kaspa series instead. Great little scopes and glass for the price. I used the p223 bc of the bdc. Its relatively close

Rigma
10-12-2013, 8:58 PM

I do like that BDC 600 reticle! I have some time to wait and find a good deal while I search for a Predator in 18.5 med bull. Thanks!