PDA

View Full Version : matched upper/lower?

Bluntbone
01-09-2008, 8:14 PM
I am researching what is necessary to build my own CA legal AR. This forum has been an awesome resource! My next (read first) step is to buy a OLL and an upper. I have not seen much discussion on whether a matched set is necessary so I guess it is not. However, a friend of mine bought a lower and a parts kit from the sdame manufacturer, but the takedown pin would not go in when he tried to assemble them! The holes in the upper and lower didn't line up. So, to those with lots of experience doing these builds... is that a common problem? Should I go to the extra expense of ordering a matched set? Thank you.

five.five-six
01-09-2008, 8:28 PM
did you try any other uppers with it? if you screwed the reciver extension (buffer tube) in too far with some CAR stocks, what you described would be the symptom. I have several builds and I personaly do not pay too much attention to the astetics of the finish matching from manufacture to manufacture, then again I go out and shoot my guns :p

Bluntbone
01-09-2008, 8:55 PM
He sent it to the manufacturer and they found an upper that fit. I would rather that not happen to me. I don't care about finish either. I just want to be reasonably sure that if I buy say a Stag lower and an N4 complete upper that they will mate as they should.

Blue
01-09-2008, 9:03 PM
That's not a common problem. If you buy name brand stuff, it should all fit together no problem.

Hopi
01-09-2008, 9:06 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Why don't you list what brands and parts you're thinking about using for your build.

Bluntbone
01-09-2008, 10:31 PM
That's good news Blue. Thanks.
Hopi Thanks for the welcome. I am thinking of using:
Stag stripped lower
Stag internal parts kit
Bullet button
Noveske N4 light carbine upper
Some type of flip up iron sights as backup (suggestions welcome)
Aimpoint Comp M4 (Suggestion on mount and rings?)
Magpul MIAD grip
LMT SOPMOD stock

I have been researching this for a couple weeks. I am fully open to suggestions on all these items from those who have experience with this. Thanks.

Linh
01-10-2008, 1:15 AM
Just to let you know Stag has great customer service. I though I had a problem with their lower and emailed them and they responsed very professional and helpful but I found out it was the magazine and not the lower.

mike452
01-10-2008, 2:25 AM
I would get a Noveske lower too. Why mix?

I thought the Aimpoint Comp M4 mounts directly to the rail.
You might want to buy your flip up sights later. I found them useless.

Bluntbone
01-10-2008, 9:04 AM
Thanks guys. I was impressed bby the stats onthe Noveske barrel, but I looked at it further and I see that the Noveske barrels are chambered for 5.56 and they are double the average price for a complete upper. I'd rather have the Wylde chamber so I could use 223 or 5.56 without difficulty. Anyone have experience with the RRA or Stag uppers?

bobfried
01-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys. I was impressed bby the stats onthe Noveske barrel, but I looked at it further and I see that the Noveske barrels are chambered for 5.56 and they are double the average price for a complete upper. I'd rather have the Wylde chamber so I could use 223 or 5.56 without difficulty. Anyone have experience with the RRA or Stag uppers?

You have it backward, .223 (Wylde also) won't feed everything 5.56 will.There's a reason why all the top tier brands (such as Noveske) chamber their rifle in 5.56 and that's because it will feed and function with almost any type and brand of ammo. Rifle chambered in .223 or with the Wylde specification will sometimes have problem with ammo such as Wolf or RG. Wylde especially have a hard time with ammo such as RG and will not cycle them reliably from every barrel.

Pretty much all of the posts you see about problems shooting a certain type of ammo will be from .223 or Wylde chambered rifles. The 5.56 will eat everythingn up and spit them out without a problem.

Fo rthe money of a Stag or RRA I would suggest you look at LMT. The noveske is pretty much a boutique brand so they will be very expensive. An LMT is still considered first tier (same as Colt or FN) whilst still being reasonable in price. If you have the money, go for the N4, buying a better upper will pay off in the end.

brianm767
01-10-2008, 11:47 AM
For your first build, I would look at a Stagg or RRA or CMMG or what ever is least expensive, to leave more money left over for your second build,

All of the AR's I currently have left, (I've owned numerous brands over the years) are Pre ban Colts, and many folks are Colt crazy and think they are the top of the line, but I can honestly tell you, they shoot or fit together no better than the other brands I've owned, infact the upper to lower fit is loser than many of the other brands that I've seen including, Stagg, RRA and CMMG etc... now of course this has absolutely nothing to do with how well the rifle will shoot nor does it have any effect on it's accuracy, just kind of bugs some folks, I couldn't care less.

I originally wanted a Colt because I figured hey if the US Army uses Colts, thats what I want, then I found out many Army M-16's are made by FN, infact every M-16 I've seen, including the one my wife was issued is made by FN. maybe the newer ones are?

Personally I would keep an eye on the classifieds here, and pick up whatever becomes available and is a good deal on a lower in your area, and as far as uppers or barrels , I would just get what ever has a good finish match to your lower, maybe the same brand, ( If that matters to you?) and I would try to stay with a 5.56 barrel. but almost any upper should work with any MIL spec lower, your friends problem is not common,

Might want to check this out? you can see that there are four major makers of lowers, many of the brands out there are all made by the same Co's LMT, CMT. LAR and MMS, there are some others but for the most part, these four make most of them, then send them off to the different manufactures for them to finish.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=318113

I recently took a look at Sabre Defense lowers out in Utah, man they have a nice finish on them! a lot of detail when filing off the extra forge flashings, I wouldn't mid picking up one of those, and when you buy the lowers alone, they don't have any goofy logos on them, I believe if you buy a complete rifle they do have a Sabre cat head on them, but the lowers I looked at did not.

Bluntbone
01-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Thank you for clarifying that for me! So 5.56 chamber is what I want. I will look at the LMT. I have the money for the Noveske, but if I can buy 2 LMT fo rthe samre price and they will still be good shooters...