PDA

View Full Version : Need a knife for the alaskan wilderness

Dark Mod
09-03-2013, 1:07 PM
Long story short: Me and a few friends are buying a 5 acre parcel of river front land in remote alaska. The property is only accessable by boat and float plane, the nearest town is a LONG way away.

Uses: i need a kind of do it all knife, were going in on a float plane and wont be able to bring much gear. Were going to spend a few weeks up there each year, the first years trip will be spent building a small log cabin and some fishing/hunting while the salmon are running in the river. At any rate, i will need to strip logs, clean fish, clean game, eat, and do basic woodworking with the same knife,

It has to be robust enough to handle HEAVY use, pretty much anything i cant do with an axe or a chansaw will have to be done with this knife.

To save weight and space we will only be bringing axe and shovel heads, we will have to make the handles out of wood, so nothing with a chisel grind.

In fact i would prefer a flat grind since i hone with stones.

Any suggestions? I was looking at ESEE knives over Swamp Rat/ Scrap yard since it will be nice to have a sheath. The cold steel SRK looks like a good bet too, but i wanted to see if anyone with some first hand experience had any ideas.

roll2li
09-03-2013, 1:45 PM
Wow sounds like you're going on a trip that grows chest hair by the bushel.

I have owned several Cold Steel knives, both fixed and folded. They worked fine and had an excellent price point, but I had two problems. One their propiertary serration system was a PITA to sharpen (it has a 4 section serration over the standard 3 or so) even with the Spyderco kits, and their Zytel handles were complete garbage.

My current favorite pigsticker is the Ontario Rat. I have it in as a 5" and it has a flat grind. I like Micarta handles, but I think the only disadvantage for an Alaskan trip is the exposed spine. You probably want to minimize the amount of bare metal you handle. .

roll2li
09-03-2013, 1:46 PM
I also forgot to add the RATs are in 1095, there are limited runs in D2, which may be more bettah for your remote situation.

chad allred
09-03-2013, 1:56 PM
Find an old school Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie...
They are on eBay all the time..
If you want a shorter blade the shorter Recon Scout is a great knife too.

acourvil
09-03-2013, 3:16 PM
Busse Battle Mistress

Dark Mod
09-03-2013, 3:17 PM
Busse Battle Mistress

Yeah, i was all over that, its a little expensive and a little too large. Ive never tried to clean a fish with a knife that big, and i wont need to baton wood or anything since ill have an axe. Sweet knife though, i remember it got the highest score possible back when kifetests.com was still around

BOOGIEMAN
09-03-2013, 4:50 PM
Fallkniven A1 Survival knife, 6 inch long blade and about quarter inch thick get the one with a stainless blade or if you want a longer blade get the Fallkniven Wilderness knife, this one is about 8 inch long and also about a quarter inch thick.

Chokoloso
09-03-2013, 5:22 PM
Esee knives are proven and take a beating man. Full tang so they're made to take abuse. I have a 4 and an izula and I know if I were going to Alaska in your situation I'd definately be looking at either the esee 5 or 6. Mine haven't taken near the abuse that you're going to put them through but I've beaten the crap out of my 4, I battoned making firewood and my hands gave out before the knife ever would. 1095 HC steel, USA made,Plus they have a lifetime no questions asked warranty. That says a lot, I think at least.
This place has the best prices I found for mine:
http://www.knifeworks.com/ESEECutlery-1.aspx

http://www.eseeknives.com/warranty.htm

Blademan21
09-03-2013, 8:20 PM
Have you checked out Knives Of Alaska? They come in different combinations. Two and three piece sets. Sounds like you'll need more than just a large knife. Good luck.

Dark Mod
09-03-2013, 9:10 PM
Have you checked out Knives Of Alaska? They come in different combinations. Two and three piece sets. Sounds like you'll need more than just a large knife. Good luck.

I have! they look pretty awesome, and i like that they include their hardness rating, and also the bevel angle helps with honing.

Im going to look a little deeper, but ive been looking back towrads busse/swamprat/scrap yard.

I suppose the first year will be something of a test, all our gear will be put to heavy use and well figure out really quickly what has to go and what has worked well.

zio707
09-04-2013, 6:35 PM
+2 on Knives of Alaska, I have one of their 2 piece combo sets that I use for skinning deer and it works great.

jyo
09-07-2013, 3:09 PM
To "save weight" you're not gonna take the wooden axe handles? About the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time---then you're gonna make your own handles with your knife---total waste of time---bring the damn axe handles and get right to work---Alaska is a lot tougher place than you can imagine (I've been there)---don't start off by having to make your tools...

acourvil
09-07-2013, 4:29 PM
Yeah, i was all over that, its a little expensive and a little too large. Ive never tried to clean a fish with a knife that big, and i wont need to baton wood or anything since ill have an axe. Sweet knife though, i remember it got the highest score possible back when kifetests.com was still around

It's going to be tough to do ax handles with anything much smaller. You could go with something like a Busse SAR 8, which gives you less weight and a narrower blade, but if you are really going to chop tree branches and make them into ax handes it's a little light. But personally, I would go with a big knife and a little knife anyway. And if your going to be depending on these for survival, don't go with anything that you don't have confidence in.

Dark Mod
09-07-2013, 8:06 PM
To "save weight" you're not gonna take the wooden axe handles? About the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time---then you're gonna make your own handles with your knife---total waste of time---bring the damn axe handles and get right to work---Alaska is a lot tougher place than you can imagine (I've been there)---don't start off by having to make your tools...

Have you ever flown somewhere in a float plane? Weight and space is a HUGE concern. The axe handles dont weigh much, but they are long and take up space we wont have.

My Dad did a preliminary weight and balance for the aircraft and were looking at about 110 pounds useable payload, its gonna be close. This means everything that can, stays behind. The chainsaw is a necessity, as is a rifle, sleeping bags, tent, some food etc.. everything else we need to decide if we can leave behind or if its an absolute necessity. Axes and shovels come in a distant second, the handles a distant third.

I can imagine exactly how tough alaska is, i spend a lot of time there actually and am very familiar with the environment.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/markdoddridge/photo1-3.jpg

p1choco
09-08-2013, 8:44 AM
Tops knives would fit the bill. The model and length is a personal choice with whatever activities you anticipate yourself using It for.

toby
09-08-2013, 9:05 AM
+3
www.knivesofalaska.com

They have a nice assortment and everything you would need or want.

gorn5150
09-10-2013, 12:16 PM
A Buck 119 or 120 would do the job just fine. They are cheap and will last several lifetimes.

MigNoche
09-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Here is a nice trio....

1. KA BAR / Becker BK7 or BK9
http://www.knife-planet.com/becker-knife-and-tool/becker-knives-ka-bar-bk7-combat-utility-survival-knife.jpg
2. Ontario R.A.T. 1 or 2
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAAHbhmrYuP0wP2vazf2XF2Kk_X7EiB lT84jmWaQMtPgqEX_cG
3. MoraKniv Companion
http://www.fusiongear.com.au/images/IMG_7730.JPG

Total for all 3....$120

roll2li
09-10-2013, 3:52 PM
+3
www.knivesofalaska.com

They have a nice assortment and everything you would need or want.

I received a Knives of Alaska Bush Camp 5" when I graduated high school from my dad, still have it.

Only complaint is the leather holster wasn't the best, but it has nice full tang construction and firm covered handle.

The choils are nice to aide in control for fine prep work.

AG166
09-12-2013, 9:47 PM
Cutco Ka-Bar knife! You break it, they fix it for life! All you do is pay for shipping.

duckman1
09-13-2013, 6:53 AM
I know it costs a few bucks but the plane could make a second trip.....

The axe handles could be secured to the outside of the plane, it's not unusual and it's done for light weight items that don't fit in the cabin.

mod8guy
09-13-2013, 6:58 AM
Have you checked out Tops Knives?

RandyD
09-13-2013, 6:59 AM
If you are looking for quality, then check out the knives made by Bark River, especially the Bravo 1. http://www.barkriverknives.com/index/search-rescue/bravo-1/ I have two Bravo 1 knives and they are far superior to any other outdoor knives that I have owned.

ghostly7
09-17-2013, 2:17 AM
Becker bk9 and bk2. Together they will handle all your cutting needs and they are solid, rugged and affordable. You might want to also think about setting up a cache on the property so you can leave things behind each trip. each trip out you can add to the gear that stays behind.

gblacksmith
09-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Long story short: Me and a few friends are buying a 5 acre parcel of river front land in remote alaska. The property is only accessable by boat and float plane, the nearest town is a LONG way away.

Uses: i need a kind of do it all knife, were going in on a float plane and wont be able to bring much gear. Were going to spend a few weeks up there each year, the first years trip will be spent building a small log cabin and some fishing/hunting while the salmon are running in the river. At any rate, i will need to strip logs, clean fish, clean game, eat, and do basic woodworking with the same knife,

It has to be robust enough to handle HEAVY use, pretty much anything i cant do with an axe or a chansaw will have to be done with this knife.

To save weight and space we will only be bringing axe and shovel heads, we will have to make the handles out of wood, so nothing with a chisel grind.

In fact i would prefer a flat grind since i hone with stones.

Any suggestions? I was looking at ESEE knives over Swamp Rat/ Scrap yard since it will be nice to have a sheath. The cold steel SRK looks like a good bet too, but i wanted to see if anyone with some first hand experience had any ideas.

Ontario Blackbird............

gblacksmith
09-28-2013, 12:27 PM

+1.....Lived on Kodiak for 2 years. Don't scrimp on vital tools.

redcliff
10-23-2013, 9:50 PM
Perhaps a boat would be a better choice for your first trip as you could haul hundreds or perhaps thousands of pounds of gear and bring in the bulky items you'll need over the long term instead of flying in with a paltry 110 lb payload? As a pilot I can tell you that three people can easily consume 110lbs of payload just packing for a long weekend, let alone surviving in Alaska for weeks and bringing in tools, food, fuel, clothing and survival gear.

ElDub1950
10-24-2013, 12:45 AM
I know it costs a few bucks but the plane could make a second trip.....

The axe handles could be secured to the outside of the plane, it's not unusual and it's done for light weight items that don't fit in the cabin.

That was my first thought too. Can't imagine not having backups of critical tools also. The old '2 is 1 and 1 is none' saying certainly seems to apply to this situation.

aaronthearcher
11-19-2013, 9:48 AM
voxknives rold, get the one on amazon Boker Plus makes it, D2 steel, great size, strong holds a crazy good edge, I have my edge polished to a mirror finish (helps protect edge from oxidizing) I also sharpened it to a narrower degree than stock and it has held up really well no chipping even from batonning and other hard use, best heavy camp knife I own.

problemchild
11-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Bussee with infi steel.

Heres mine....

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/busse/busse1.jpg

boukca
11-25-2013, 10:34 PM
FWIW- I have seen Nutnfancy do some good knife reviews where he is surviving in the woods. Will try to post his videos below.

Ninask
11-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Now that's a good looking knife
(for $700 it better be, Bussee)
N

Tanner68
11-25-2013, 10:41 PM
If you are down for building a cabin, and making an axe handle, and spending a couple weeks in remote Alaska, then I think you oughta' know what kind of knife you like and need???

Bring a Mora. And since they are light and cheap, bring two. The axe will handle all the heavy chores.

Religious Shooter
11-26-2013, 1:26 AM
I wouldn't go up there with a $150-$200+ knife and come back with it. Then go back with it again and return with again then repeat.

I'd just get some cheap decent knives and leave them there. Me personally I would go up there with a $30 CS Pocket Bushman and a $33 Bear Grylls knife (that comes with a sheath, sharpener, fire steel and whistle). I'd leave them there and when I come back I'd probably bring another Pocket Bushman and maybe a fillet knife or even a second $33 Bear Grylls knife.

I'd bury one of the sets in a cache somewhere so if some miscreants come and ransack the cabin I'd have a back up.

This is assuming of course you have already have axes for wood processing.

yoteassasin
11-29-2013, 4:52 AM
PLEASE! For gods sake DO NOT purposely leave behind your ax handle. Anyone worth their salt knows you lash crap like that to the undercarriage . I second the first trip warrants a boat ride Idea . And don't buy an expensive hotrod knife. Get a couple moras and a couple mid. Size blades I like the bear grilis idea.

Yehosha
11-30-2013, 4:32 PM
Shrade makes great knives that are relatively low priced. I have this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035ELWS2/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i05?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and love it.

blazeaglory
11-30-2013, 5:27 PM
Ive been really fascinated by Kukris lately

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E2S806C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=O0DX8GMRRG82&coliid=I32KA6I9BFHEAI

optimus-primer
12-01-2013, 8:49 AM
I wouldn't have only one knife, and that's from only camping experience. I would at least take a decent folder too.

Decoligny
12-02-2013, 2:29 PM
Cutco Ka-Bar knife! You break it, they fix it for life! All you do is pay for shipping.

Warranty like that is useless in Alaska where you have to wait for the plane to come take you out. You want a knife that won't break in the first place.

thomashoward
12-02-2013, 3:56 PM
I've never lived in the Alaskan bush, so I'm not going to give any armchair advise,except take one you would trust with your life. It won't be a cheap one

CSACANNONEER
12-02-2013, 4:13 PM

Let's see, shipping from 100s of miles from the nearest post office only costs how much? and, how long does it take? Get a clue.

PLEASE! For gods sake DO NOT purposely leave behind your ax handle. Anyone worth their salt knows you lash crap like that to the undercarriage . I second the first trip warrants a boat ride Idea . And don't buy an expensive hotrod knife. Get a couple moras and a couple mid. Size blades I like the bear grilis idea.

Yea, anyone worth their salt knows that things don't weigh anything if you strap them to the undercarriage. :rolleyes: You're so smart.

yoteassasin
12-02-2013, 5:39 PM
Let's see, shipping from 100s of miles from the nearest post office only costs how much? and, how long does it take? Get a clue.

Yea, anyone worth their salt knows that things don't weigh anything if you strap them to the undercarriage. :rolleyes: You're so smart.

:sleeping: take an extra big crap before you take-off make up for the weight. I've spent enough time hundreds of miles from any road and have seen people do well and I have seen people go home broken to never come back. DONT BE A TOOL... BRING THEM
you are not survivorman and in this game you stack the deck in your favor.. trust me you WILL learn.

Oneaudiopro
12-02-2013, 5:49 PM
Randall made #5.............best of the best. Not cheap but worth every penny.

Sam Z
12-02-2013, 6:39 PM
Grayman Knives http://www.graymanknives.com/knivesa.html

recommend either the Ground Pounder or Mega Pounder

Religious Shooter
12-03-2013, 3:25 PM
I've never lived in the Alaskan bush, so I'm not going to give any armchair advise,except take one you would trust with your life. It won't be a cheap one
Allright... I'll bite. How do you envision that an expensive knife is going to save your life and a set of decent inexpensive knives is going to kill you?

Religious Shooter
12-03-2013, 4:01 PM
He's going to make trips back and forth. He's not going to stay there forever. So a warranty for a knife is OK to have. He's not going to send it back to the manufacturer from Alaska.

The point of getting inexpensive knives is you can literally buy 5-10 of them for one expensive knife. If he loses one while canoeing he has 4-9 more to back it up.

This Cold Steel "Mora" knife is $18

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Survival-Orange-Knife/dp/B006YBXEVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386118752&sr=8-1&keywords=cold+survival+edge

This is what an $18 knife can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nxAyrHIR5U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHFuxZozANk

BLACK LION
12-04-2013, 9:42 AM
I would recommend paying for a top quality American made knife.
I have spent hundreds on knives designed here and made in china or made in japan only to snap the tips off in bone or wood.
I would spend the money and get a Grayman "sub saharan" www.graymanknives.com/subs.htmlor get something like this.... http://www.mtknives.com/wsk.html

I have Mark Terells USK model and it is a tank... literally. The knife is unstopable and I have tried everything in my power to compromise it in some way, shape or form.

Decoligny
12-04-2013, 11:46 AM
I would also recommend hiring either a larger plane to allow you to carry more in, or hire a second plane to bring in another load of supplies.

thomashoward
12-04-2013, 5:40 PM
Allright... I'll bite. How do you envision that an expensive knife is going to save your life and a set of decent inexpensive knives is going to kill you?

That's funny :rofl2:
you need a "set" of inexpensive knives to equal one good one?
I'll bet you expect a cheap knife to perform like a good one.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/862788-Busse-Combat-%28and-Kin%29-Price-Guide
how's that
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1106927-Busse-price-justification

Religious Shooter
12-04-2013, 7:42 PM
So no examples?

thomashoward
12-04-2013, 8:22 PM
So no examples?

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/862788-Busse-Combat-%28and-Kin%29-Price-Guide

Dark Mod
12-04-2013, 8:48 PM
I would also recommend hiring either a larger plane to allow you to carry more in, or hire a second plane to bring in another load of supplies.

Thanks man, but im kinda married to this plan. The whole point of doing this is because its dirt cheap. Between the 3 of us, the property is going to cost us each about $200 a month (owner financed).

It makes sense because i own a plane and can fly up there for the cost of fuel, which sounds cheap, but the trip will cost a couple grand just in fuel which im comfortable with.

If i have to rent a second aircraft to carry up an axe i doubt i will use much, it makes a lot less sense. I cant think of what i would do with an axe that i cant do with a chainsaw other than chop firewood, but due to an abundance of caution i will at least take the head with me. Especially since it will fit in a backpack pocket without the handle.

All non essential stuff is getting left behind. Im sure ill realize i didnt bring all sorts of stuff i should have, but it can wait for the next trip.

Just some perspective: Ive got less than 1000 pounds of useable payload. 3 adults and 50 gallons of fuel just about uses that up.

Things that are a MUST:

Fishing pole/tackle
Rifle/ammo
Sleeping Bag
Tent
Chainsaw
Food/Water purification/Medical supplies
trashbags
Tarp
Pot
clothes

Things that can wait until the second trip:
inflatable canoe and a single oar
Nails
bow/arrows
Shovel/Saw/Axe handles
and whatever else we figure we need

Ronin2
12-05-2013, 8:51 AM
Thanks man, but im kinda married to this plan. The whole point of doing this is because its dirt cheap. Between the 3 of us, the property is going to cost us each about $200 a month (owner financed).

It makes sense because i own a plane and can fly up there for the cost of fuel, which sounds cheap, but the trip will cost a couple grand just in fuel which im comfortable with.

If i have to rent a second aircraft to carry up an axe i doubt i will use much, it makes a lot less sense. I cant think of what i would do with an axe that i cant do with a chainsaw other than chop firewood, but due to an abundance of caution i will at least take the head with me. Especially since it will fit in a backpack pocket without the handle.

All non essential stuff is getting left behind. Im sure ill realize i didnt bring all sorts of stuff i should have, but it can wait for the next trip.

Just some perspective: Ive got less than 1000 pounds of useable payload. 3 adults and 50 gallons of fuel just about uses that up.

Things that are a MUST:

Fishing pole/tackle
Rifle/ammo
Sleeping Bag
Tent
Chainsaw
Food/Water purification/Medical supplies
trashbags
Tarp
Pot
clothes

Things that can wait until the second trip:
inflatable canoe and a single oar
Nails
bow/arrows
Shovel/Saw/Axe handles
and whatever else we figure we need

What's your real name so we can look for you in the news.....

DuneShoot
12-06-2013, 7:08 AM
Grayman Knives http://www.graymanknives.com/knivesa.html

recommend either the Ground Pounder or Mega Pounder

I'm liking these knives! The single bevel seems like a good idea and looks good/different.

Prices seem very fair.

boukca
12-06-2013, 7:24 AM
FWIW- This thread motived me to finally go out and buy one good knife to hopefully last me a lifetime. I found this Gerber Prodigy locally for $60 and it fits my hand perfect. I don't know about about knife buying as most of you here do, but I know Gerber is a good name, has a nice sheath and a lifetime warranty. (Go ahead and flame me if needed) Anyways- here is a photo-

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/4uzuma4a.jpg

Fate
12-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Lose 5 lbs. beforehand. Take the tool handles.

Dark Mod
12-06-2013, 2:18 PM
Lose 5 lbs. beforehand. Take the tool handles.

No you

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/markdoddridge/1733A373-1458-4778-B3FB-60E1E160D3E1_zpsgpdspchl.jpg

bottomtime
12-07-2013, 8:00 AM
Busse
Take your pick.