PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone (WY, UT, MT) open carry

DeadmanWalkin
09-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Hi all,
I am going to go to Yellowstone and the website said that you can open carry in the park. It said to check the laws for wyoming, utah, and montana. So i looked at the links that yellowstone park provided and each state said that open carry is allowed on your person and in the car.

Then istarted browsing the web and started hearing things like open carry but unloaded or something like2 steps needed (rack the slide, pull the trigger) and a whole bunch of other stuff that just makes things confusing. I am new to the whole gun scene for the most part. I have never carried my gun open or concealed. I have a 1 year old son and plan on taking him on some hikes to see stuff along with my wife. I'd feel a little better being armed.

Does anyone know if open carry actually means i can have the gun ready to go? I knowit sounds like a stupid question but there is so much conflicting info out there that i would rather sound stupid than do something stupid and get arrested. Also, open carry in a car, could i then just be able to leave the handgun in my holster in the same loaded or unloaded (If the above question is answered that way) state? I know that all buildings inside yellowstone are designated as gun free. Thats fine i am mostly just worried about being out in no mans land. Granted a 9mm isnt going to take down a bear but if someone else is around i can shoot them in the leg so i can out run them (just kidding).

Like i said, i looked on the states law pages that yellowstone provided but the info is vague. So i turnto this forum because someone here has the answers.

Thanks for the help!

VegasND
09-02-2013, 7:43 AM
The '2-steps' is for Utah -- open carry without a permit means no round in chamber but loaded mag is okay. If you're not in Utah open carry loaded with no problem. Don't take it into any of the buildings in the park.

DeadmanWalkin
09-02-2013, 7:21 PM
Thanks! Do you know about the open carry inthe car? Can i have it holstered on my belt while driving as long as there in no round in the chamber when in utah?

Thanks again. I wish we had open carry here!

VegasND
09-02-2013, 8:03 PM
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=135
http://apps.opencarry.org/images/travelmap.png
Also check here:
http://handgunlaw.us/

Some may be more up to date than others

DeadmanWalkin
09-02-2013, 8:20 PM
Thanks a ton! That is really helpful. I searched the web before i asked but didnt find anything like what you shared. Its exactly what i needed.

Thanks a ton!

BigPimping
09-08-2013, 7:26 PM
Free America, ahhhhh.......

CAL.BAR
09-08-2013, 8:13 PM
You know if you do you may look a bit out of place. No one (at least none that I've ever seen) runs around with guns on their hips in MT. They live in a free state and they know it. They don't have to carry their guns to prove it.

therealnickb
09-08-2013, 8:22 PM
OP,

Just take bear spray on your hikes. CC if can and feel the need but all you'll get in Yellowstone is unwanted attention with a sidearm exposed.

mag360
09-08-2013, 9:13 PM
Hi all,
I am going to go to Yellowstone and the website said that you can open carry in the park. It said to check the laws for wyoming, utah, and montana. So i looked at the links that yellowstone park provided and each state said that open carry is allowed on your person and in the car.

Then istarted browsing the web and started hearing things like open carry but unloaded or something like2 steps needed (rack the slide, pull the trigger) and a whole bunch of other stuff that just makes things confusing. I am new to the whole gun scene for the most part. I have never carried my gun open or concealed. I have a 1 year old son and plan on taking him on some hikes to see stuff along with my wife. I'd feel a little better being armed.

Does anyone know if open carry actually means i can have the gun ready to go? I knowit sounds like a stupid question but there is so much conflicting info out there that i would rather sound stupid than do something stupid and get arrested. Also, open carry in a car, could i then just be able to leave the handgun in my holster in the same loaded or unloaded (If the above question is answered that way) state? I know that all buildings inside yellowstone are designated as gun free. Thats fine i am mostly just worried about being out in no mans land. Granted a 9mm isnt going to take down a bear but if someone else is around i can shoot them in the leg so i can out run them (just kidding).

Like i said, i looked on the states law pages that yellowstone provided but the info is vague. So i turnto this forum because someone here has the answers.

Thanks for the help!

you are in grizzly country. short of a 44mag desert eagle, there are no autoloaders I would trust my life with out there. If I was just sticking to the main visitor areas I'd feel comfortable with my standard 9mm glock 26 concealed appendix carry in a blade-tech nano holster.

If I was venturing anywhere off the beaten path I would open carry a ruger redhawk 44 magnum or 454 casull ruger Alaskan loaded with the hottest loads you can handle.

*might* consider my glock 20sf as long as I had the 6" hunter barrel from KKM, loaded with underwood ammo 220gr hardcast solids running about 1300fps :) but I'd probably let my girlfriend carry that one, and I'll take the big iron loaded with something that weighs about 300gr+ moving 1400fps :D :D

oh, since you have never carried, make sure you dry-practice drawing your handgun many, many, many times from concealment.

M. D. Van Norman
09-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Get yourself licensed and carry without creating a ruckus. Every park building will likely be signed as off limits, including ranger kiosks. :rolleyes:

Al Norris
09-09-2013, 6:26 AM
I don't have a clue as to why you would worry about Utah!

Yellowstone is mostly within WY, but there are some parts that are in Montana and Idaho. Utah is a couple of hundred miles to the south.

CBR_rider
09-12-2013, 2:30 AM
I chose to carry concealed when I was out that way this year and I only saw one guy open carrying a firearm (good sized knives were pretty common..). He was at Grand Prismatic Pool on a pretty busy day and I don't think anyone batted an eye. I watched people around him for about five minutes, I'm not sure most of them even saw his 1911.

Maestro Pistolero
09-12-2013, 10:02 AM
The '2-steps' is for Utah -- open carry without a permit means no round in chamber but loaded mag is okay. If you're not in Utah open carry loaded with no problem. Don't take it into any of the buildings in the park.

What about revolvers?

VegasND
09-12-2013, 6:27 PM
Never thought about it ...

TWO empty chambers? 1 pull trigger - click. 2 pull trigger - click. 3 pull trigger - Bang!

I'll stick with one in the pipe of a concealed pistol with my Utah permit in my pocket.
What about revolvers?

Sakiri
09-12-2013, 8:00 PM
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=135
http://apps.opencarry.org/images/travelmap.png
Also check here:
http://handgunlaw.us/

Some may be more up to date than others

CA: clearly visible where local law allows..

thought they eliminated all open carry in CA?

mej16489
09-13-2013, 2:44 PM
CA: clearly visible where local law allows..

thought they eliminated all open carry in CA?

No, only in public places of cities and areas of a county which prohibit shooting.

ChrisC
09-13-2013, 3:14 PM
http://www.nps.gov/yell/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

You can carry, but you can not discharge your firearm inside the park. So basically you have no reason to carry. If you shoot a bear for protection, they can still bust you.

Sakiri
09-13-2013, 7:41 PM
http://www.nps.gov/yell/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

You can carry, but you can not discharge your firearm inside the park. So basically you have no reason to carry. If you shoot a bear for protection, they can still bust you.

I'd rather be busted for shooting than end up as a bear snack.

Sakiri
09-13-2013, 7:43 PM
No, only in public places of cities and areas of a county which prohibit shooting.

"public areas of cities".. so like "most of the county worth a F to be in."

Pretty sure you can't carry at state parks either, and the only places I'd be in Humboldt here that aren't "public areas in cities" are BLM land and redwood forest land. Can't remember if the lands around here are state or national and I'm too lazy to look it up. Though I can guarantee you I'd have the sole person I run into on the trails flip a b about seeing my M&P.

RudyCakes
09-14-2013, 7:11 PM
I've always wondered about open carry in your car while within 1000' of a school. How the heck are you supposed to know where all the schools are? Does it count if you're in your car driving by?