PDA

View Full Version : Noob question RE: Length of Shotgun

bfriz07
01-09-2008, 9:02 AM
I know that this is probably a really stupid question, but when it comes to pump shotguns, what is the overall length supposed to be and is that measured with the stock folded or open?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/22/47/32/i224732sn02.jpg

is this shotgun legal? thanks a lot for the help and sorry for the stupid question.

bwiese
01-09-2008, 9:44 AM
For both CA & Fed law, shotguns need 18" min. barrel length. Long-gun firearms generally need 26" min. overall length.

[The firearm you show is not really a shotgun, just a firearm that can fire a shotgun shell - since it's not able or designed to be fired from the shoulder. In fact, an FFL dealer can't sell this gun to someone btwn 18-21 yrs old, since it's not an exempt shotgun per GCA '68.]

In CA, overall firearm length is measured with the stock folded due to state court decision (People v. Rooney).

[Feds are less stringent, and min. overall length can be achieved when stock is opened - even though when closed, the firearm may have overall length shorter than 26".]

For pistol-grip only pump shotguns like the Mossy Cruiser 500 and similar 870s you are interested in this is not a worry: these are around 27.5" - 27" overall length anyway given the combined length of 18" bbl and a fairly long receiver, even without pistol grip mounted (i.e, bare rear of receiver).

26" length may only be a worry for 18" bbl'd 'coach guns' and a cut-down 'long pistol grip' stock. These guns lose some length in comparison to pump/auto guns due to shorter receivers (since there's no cycling action).

Calguns2000
01-09-2008, 1:01 PM
Since its not a pistol, rifle or a shotgun, how is a pg'd cruiser shotgun treated for purpose of the CA dros process?

bwiese
01-09-2008, 2:50 PM
Since its not a pistol, rifle or a shotgun, how is a pg'd cruiser shotgun treated for purpose of the CA dros process?

I'm not sure of exact entities allowed on 4473/DROS.

It really should just be 'firearm' or 'long gun'.

I'd bet 85% of the time it's miscategorized as shotgun (unless it came with a buttstock in the box, which meets the ATF standard for GCA '68 compliance).