PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing comment at the range

tom_92673
01-09-2008, 12:18 AM
I was at an indoor range the other night shooting, when I started talking to someone about their AR. He had a magpul stock and I asked him about how he liked it. He showed it to me, and offered to let me fire his pre ban. Well, I break out my post ban with bullet button and the RO comes over to tell me that it's an assault rifle. He said since i have a VFG that didn't come with it and a collapsible stock that it's an assault rifle. He said that I'd be arrested if the police saw it. I tried to explain the bullet button, but he wanted to hear nothing of it, just kept telling me that I needed to dissasemble it when I left. He didn't throw me out, but I was shooting with a client, so I just packed up and told him we should go. I've been to this range a number of times and nobody has ever said anything about it before. It was kind of un nerving. Has anyone ever had a similar experience? What would you do? I didn't want to get into a pissing match with my client there, I just told him that the guy didn't know the law, but we should go. Any feedback?

VAHEVAHE
01-09-2008, 12:39 AM
I was at an indoor range the other night shooting, when I started talking to someone about their AR. He had a magpul stock and I asked him about how he liked it. He showed it to me, and offered to let me fire his pre ban. Well, I break out my post ban with bullet button and the RO comes over to tell me that it's an assault rifle. He said since i have a VFG that didn't come with it and a collapsible stock that it's an assault rifle. He said that I'd be arrested if the police saw it. I tried to explain the bullet button, but he wanted to hear nothing of it, just kept telling me that I needed to dissasemble it when I left. He didn't throw me out, but I was shooting with a client, so I just packed up and told him we should go. I've been to this range a number of times and nobody has ever said anything about it before. It was kind of un nerving. Has anyone ever had a similar experience? What would you do? I didn't want to get into a pissing match with my client there, I just told him that the guy didn't know the law, but we should go. Any feedback?

When you go to a range you go to have fun right? Weather your shooting groups of hitting steel your goal is to have a good time. Some jerk pisses you off by thinking he knows everything and can tell you what is right and wrong. Stuff like this is the reason why im not going to be going to ranges anymore. I know how you feel iv been there before . I want to plan some kind of shoot in the desert in which we can all go to and shoot in peace.

BTW im 19 years old with a AR-15 and AK-47 Hispanic LOOKING dude, try that for a day when you go to the range.

Jason762
01-09-2008, 12:48 AM
I'd say...

You were doing nothing wrong. He made you think you were doing something wrong, and by leaving you confirmed you also thought you were doing something wrong. He won.

If it were me, I would've shrugged and just done my thing when he left.

tom_92673
01-09-2008, 12:50 AM
I'd say...

You were doing nothing wrong. He made you think you were doing something wrong, and by leaving you confirmed you also thought you were doing something wrong. He won.

If it were me, I would've shrugged and just done my thing when he left.

I was with a client who I didn't want to make uncomfortable. Discretion is the better part of valor.

Jason762
01-09-2008, 12:56 AM
In that case, you did what you thought was right.

I'd say you did fine.

mattmcg
01-09-2008, 1:07 AM
Which range if you don't mind me asking? Sounds like we need to send a bit of OLL education their way......

Stormfeather
01-09-2008, 3:46 AM
When you go to a range you go to have fun right? Weather your shooting groups of hitting steel your goal is to have a good time. Some jerk pisses you off by thinking he knows everything and can tell you what is right and wrong. Stuff like this is the reason why im not going to be going to ranges anymore. I know how you feel iv been there before . I want to plan some kind of shoot in the desert in which we can all go to and shoot in peace.
BTW im 19 years old with a AR-15 and AK-47 Hispanic LOOKING dude, try that for a day when you go to the range.

Jump on board for the next Area 52 shoot. Im getting ready to start planning it now that Im back! We spend a weekend out in the desert, in nevada, shooting OLL's in real configurations. PLus if we get lucky, a friend brings his full autos! Do a search for Area 52 shoot on here and read up on it!
Heres a video just to give you an idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJgxVYA2pbc

Everyones welcome to come and have fun with us! Those are all CalGun'ers in the video too!

sloguy
01-09-2008, 5:10 AM
stormfeather, that looks like a whole lotta fun. when is the next one?

larryb
01-09-2008, 5:58 AM
I keep paperwork in my gun case that shows the legality of OLL rifles and configurations. On the way out i would have given him a copy of my paperwork and told him to study it before giving out bad information on what is and what is not a assault weapon.

DANGERCLOSE
01-09-2008, 6:40 AM
i would ask him if i violated any safety rules, if not buzz off.

why cant people keep their stupidity to themselves, everybody has to be a lawyer or deputy da or nostradamus. i hate the attitude that people get when they are a range safety officer, firearms instructor, or gun store clerk. its like they are automatically transformed into gun, tactical, range, and law experts when they have no business talking about said things. i always consider myself the eternal student even if i am a sme in anything. i have changed the attitude of other instructors at work by setting an example that they have to follow. all because some suits said they had a good time when they had to qualify while working with me. not to toot my own horn.:taz:

thedonger
01-09-2008, 6:44 AM
I keep paperwork in my gun case that shows the legality of OLL rifles and configurations. On the way out i would have given him a copy of my paperwork and told him to study it before giving out bad information on what is and what is not a assault weapon.

+1

I'm going to print out an extra copy for my gun case for just this reason.

M1A Rifleman
01-09-2008, 6:45 AM
One thing I have noted about this hobby is there are too many "Know It All's at the range or gun shop" :mad:.

My suggestion in the future is: - if you know your weapon is legal, ignore the geeks who feel the need to educate everyone at the shooting bench and do what you know is right.

As for his comment about the tear down before you left the range - BS, as this is not even required for a registered AW, only a locked container is required - like any handgun.

liketoshoot
01-09-2008, 6:45 AM
Jump on board for the next Area 52 shoot. Im getting ready to start planning it now that Im back! We spend a weekend out in the desert, in nevada, shooting OLL's in real configurations. PLus if we get lucky, a friend brings his full autos! Do a search for Area 52 shoot on here and read up on it!
Heres a video just to give you an idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJgxVYA2pbc

Everyones welcome to come and have fun with us! Those are all CalGun'ers in the video too!

Isn't having that much fun ilegal? sure looks like a good time!

Two Shots
01-09-2008, 6:47 AM
[QUOTE=DANGERCLOSE;926881]i would ask him if i violated any safety rules, if not buzz off.

I agree with you except it's like everything "There house there rules" the best way is to bring the owner paperwork showing whats legal and if he fails to agree with it. Contact the NRA and ask how this can be corrected.

Mac
01-09-2008, 6:47 AM

dustoff31
01-09-2008, 7:26 AM
Next time just ask these self-appointed experts, "Do you have a safety or range regulation issue you would like to discuss? If not, I'm paying to shoot my firearm here, not to listen to your opinions on unrelated matters."

Diablo
01-09-2008, 7:35 AM
It's kind of messed up that your client was with you. It puts doubt in their head.

Shtgnr
01-09-2008, 8:49 AM
I have had problems and / or attitudes from both rangemasters or other shooters concerning what I have shot. It just seems people are not knowledgeable about Ca. firearm laws. The only range I go to now is a indoor handgun ammo only range, otherwise I go to my spot out in the desert, no one disturbs me and I get to shoot what I want as far as I want.

Fate
01-09-2008, 9:05 AM
I would've asked him, "Did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night?" :44:

philthy209
01-09-2008, 10:15 AM

can someone send me a link so i can print a bunch of these out?

I'm lazy and already spent the 2 minutes i had set aside for the search button on the marketplace.:)

ar15barrels
01-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Some jerk pisses you off by thinking he knows everything and can tell you what is right and wrong.
Stuff like this is the reason why im not going to be going to ranges anymore.

This kind of stuff only seems to happen at INDOOR ranges.
Try some outdoor ranges. ;)

Soldier415
01-09-2008, 11:50 AM
This kind of stuff only seems to happen at INDOOR ranges.

Never at ours...:D

8200rpm
01-09-2008, 3:56 PM
You should have told him his shoe laces are an assault weapon, and that he should untie them before leaving, or the police will arrest him if they saw him with them tied.

Stormfeather
01-09-2008, 4:12 PM
stormfeather, that looks like a whole lotta fun. when is the next one?

Hopefully looking at mid-april. Ive got to get all my ducks in a row for it.

Soldier415
01-09-2008, 4:15 PM
Ive got to get all my ducks in a row for it.

Yes, you don't want to have a non-linear waterfowl problem...

Maddog5150
01-09-2008, 4:23 PM
Everyone should just mind their own damn business! Does the RO know that he is also a cop? Does he know if you have your registration papers in the truck? Does he know that your LEO? Does he know that your Iggys second in command and that your the only one qualified to handle evil black rifles? No he doesnt know what the situation is so he should STFU and run a range not narc.
Argument goes both ways also. Everyone should mind their own business. Like when Im at the outdoor range with my father and someone walks up to us and starts bugging us on how the money we spent on my 10/22 I could of bought an off list lower. :p
There should be a shirt like the Carls Jr saying. Box of ammo, high-powered rifle, and a coke. DONT BOTHER ME! Im shooting.

Stormfeather
01-09-2008, 4:27 PM
Yes, you don't want to have a non-linear waterfowl problem...

Yes, "non-linear waterfowl" is always a issue when playing in the nevada desert.

Fjold
01-09-2008, 6:00 PM
Just ask him "What law?"

USN CHIEF
01-09-2008, 6:15 PM
I hate little bastards that pretend to know it all. And no matter what we do, where we go, that damn "Sea Lawyer" will find you and put his two cents in. And what sucks the most is that you were with a client, which I totally understand that kind off limit your response options to that punk jerk idiot!!! You handled very well...

Blue
01-09-2008, 6:25 PM
I had some RO jump on me about my 1919 once. 4 RO's came by and talked about how sweet it was and then the 5th one came by later in the after noon and flipped out. I put it in my truck and shot other guns for the rest of the afternoon.