PDA

View Full Version : Cattaraugus 225q with family significance.

deadcoyote
08-31-2013, 9:31 PM
Jus a random thread for you knife people. I did another thread sometime back about how my grandfather passed and his guns were split up to non gun owning family members as the executor of the estate decided that I as a gun owner had enough guns already. Touchy subject, out of my control, moving on,

The upside was after the guns were split up a wall safe was discovered in his house. The safe contained good and silver, and a "no name" revolver and a knife. I was given the revolver and knife. Triumphantly I will note the revolver was a 4" Dan Wesson .357. I paid no mind to the knife other than a wipe down and throwing it in a safe with the revolver. Just got around to googling it and apparently these were WWII issue knives. My grandfather was an Army veteran who served in the pacific, so there might be some real provenance to this piece. I'm actually more excited about it now than the revolver. Just thought I'd share.

xrayoneone
08-31-2013, 9:51 PM
Cool. Fairly common knife. I assume it had some significance or it wouldn't have been in the safe.

wjc
09-01-2013, 2:44 PM
pics please.

deadcoyote
09-01-2013, 3:58 PM
Two things: I'm picture incompetent so perhaps if someone is willing to pm me either their email address ill take a couple pics of the revolver and the knife and send em off.
2nd thing, I just wanted to clarify I'm not excited about the knife re: potential value, I'm stoked this could potentially have been my grandfathers issue knife from the war. He rarely spoke about his service in the war, other than to point out he had mixed feelings as he had dated a Japanese woman when he immigrated from the Soviet Union to CA, and had mixed feelings a out internment of the Japanese.

NorCalFocus
09-01-2013, 4:08 PM
Do have a Facebook account? If so, post the picture to there. Then right click on the picture, select the "copy URL link". Come here, click the little icon with the mountain and sun, paste your copied URL in the box that pops up.

deadcoyote
09-01-2013, 5:11 PM
I took a picture of revolver, knife, and scabbard together. Embarrassingly enough I'd do not have a Facebook account. If anybody will let me email or text the photo to them let me know.

NorCalFocus
09-02-2013, 2:58 PM
Email it to me. I'll be in my home office working tomorrow, so I can post it.

norcalfocus@rocketmail.com

NorCalFocus
09-04-2013, 7:40 AM
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn242/chrispaints/photo_zpsd5a829b0.jpg (http://s306.photobucket.com/user/chrispaints/media/photo_zpsd5a829b0.jpg.html)

wjc
09-04-2013, 9:48 PM
Nice!

That revolver looks to be in pretty good shape. The knife looks like it's been "fixed" at the pommel. The leather rings probably loosened up.

deadcoyote
09-05-2013, 8:44 AM
The revolvers in great shape and the serial dates to ~73/74, which is when my grandfather moved out of san Francisco and bought a ranch in Idaho.