PDA

View Full Version : looking for a nice and safe place to shoot rifle outdoor in San Diego

mtenenhaus
08-31-2013, 2:32 PM
Hi, I finally got a day off tomorrow, i usually shoot at an indoor range but i'd love to try shooting outdoors. I'd sure appreciate it if someone could pm me some safe places to shoot outside. i'm in San Diego. thanks and have a great holiday

Flintlock Tom
08-31-2013, 2:55 PM
South Bay Rod and Gun club just off highway 94 South of Dulzura.
$25 to shoot all day, 50-300 yards.
Check their web-site, http://www.sbrgc.org/.

ummmmmm456
08-31-2013, 3:17 PM
i second south bay rod and gun. great place to shoot.

mtenenhaus
08-31-2013, 4:10 PM
thank you,

it looks like they have 2 different events going on. is there a separate range where i can shoot rifle and pistol without being in a competition. i have to sight in my rifle and was just hoping to practice.

sammass
08-31-2013, 6:26 PM
Mtenenhaus,

Ah... there is a simple solution to your range issue.

Walk up to the front gate at MCRD and ask to enlist. There are MANY excellent ranges you will be directed to and there is always someone available to assist you in zeroing in your rifle. :-)

Seriously, I will have to defer to your local folks. Visited Hathcock Range on MCAS Miramar recently, but it was closed at the time. :-( It does have short and long range, the latter being electronically marked. Unfortunately, although we paid for it's construction, I doubt it would be available for civilian use. Go raise your right hand?

Be Well. USN Ret. :-)

Jeymz
08-31-2013, 6:36 PM
thank you,

it looks like they have 2 different events going on. is there a separate range where i can shoot rifle and pistol without being in a competition. i have to sight in my rifle and was just hoping to practice.

The pistol range is open tomorrow. You can shoot rifle there as well. The main range has an event going from 8-12. Usually they have a few spots open for walk-ons during their events. It's best to call ahead and ask or just show up at noon when it's over. I'll be going there tomorrow as well.

rvicta
08-31-2013, 7:17 PM
I may be heading out to South Bay Rod and Gun tomorrow also. Need to play around with my mounted cameras.

frankm
09-01-2013, 8:09 PM
If the range isn't full, they may also let you shoot during a competition. Just call ahead.

pigpen66m
09-01-2013, 8:37 PM
Mtenenhaus,

Ah... there is a simple solution to your range issue.

Walk up to the front gate at MCRD and ask to enlist. There are MANY excellent ranges you will be directed to and there is always someone available to assist you in zeroing in your rifle. :-)

Seriously, I will have to defer to your local folks. Visited Hathcock Range on MCAS Miramar recently, but it was closed at the time. :-( It does have short and long range, the latter being electronically marked. Unfortunately, although we paid for it's construction, I doubt it would be available for civilian use. Go raise your right hand?

Be Well. USN Ret. :-)

I did that 30 years ago, but the range is at Camp Pendleton.

baja619
09-02-2013, 11:44 PM
Campo has some areas.
Secluded valleys down near the border. Not easy to find unless you got gallons of gas to burn.

mtenenhaus
09-03-2013, 5:36 PM
thank you everyone,

i took a ride there yesterday on my motorcycle and had a chance to briefly check the place out. looked pretty nice and the RO seemed very friendly. I'll definitely bring my rifle and pistol with me next time.

I had hoped they might have some steel targets for pistol practice.i'll keep searching

looking forward to joining the club, will be nice to shoot outdoors for a change.

mtenenhaus
09-03-2013, 5:36 PM
thank you everyone,

i took a ride there yesterday on my motorcycle and had a chance to briefly check the place out. looked pretty nice and the RO seemed very friendly. I'll definitely bring my rifle and pistol with me next time.

I had hoped they might have some steel targets for pistol practice.i'll keep searching

looking forward to joining the club, will be nice to shoot outdoors for a change.

yoitsbruce
09-12-2013, 6:32 PM
octotilla

CelticMonster
09-12-2013, 8:41 PM
Project 2000 has a nice indoor, 100 yard set- up. Their range has improved vastly over the years

The Paper Pimp
09-12-2013, 11:51 PM
not a fan of P2K. prefer SBRGC, RO's have always been friendly and helpful.

Bonecrusher
09-13-2013, 10:39 PM
octotilla

x2. Just clean up after yourself, take home more than you brought in.