PDA

View Full Version : New to Leverguns. Info needed.

MMXX
08-30-2013, 6:38 PM
I'm looking into lever guns with the side loading ability.
Where should I start?
I'm looking at commonly seen calibers right now using google/gun broker. I'm interested in .357mag/.38spl, .44mag, .45LC and .308 as of now.
Difference between side ejection vs others? Round count restrictions?
Any information or sites of information would be helpful. Add any info.
(Google Search is a bit of a cluster f***)

Superfreak
08-30-2013, 6:53 PM
There's also 30-30 and 45-70.
You might want to look at the Marlin 336 - its pretty affordable (I've read that there are QC issues on the Marlins ever since Remington bought them, tho). I own a Marlin 1895sbl and I don't have any issues with mine, I guess I got lucky.
Side ejection is good if you want to scope your rifle, otherwise you have to get an offset base (irons are fine if you ask me).
No round count limit because they're tube-fed magazines.
*Correction: No round count limit if they're tube-fed magazines.*

kielbasavw
08-30-2013, 6:58 PM
Angle eject model Winchester 1894. Still able to mount a normal scope base. I prefer the feel of the Winchester verse Marlins.

Round count will depend on magazine tube length and caliber.

Round count an issue? I can make you one of these. ;-)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/ezkiel/20130806_230234_zpsff0ffd5a.jpg

nickabeans
08-30-2013, 7:01 PM
I run a rossi 92 rifle in 357mag. I believe I get 11 rounds in the tube if recall right? It's been in the safe a while. I have had nothing but good with mine but I might have been lucky. It was onsale for 499 at big 5 I wanna say. It is one of my favorite guns. And would not hesitate to recommend one. All the issues people have are fairly easily fixable. It could be worth a look.

raygun5000
08-30-2013, 7:30 PM
+1 on the Rossi R92. I bought the 16" barrel with large loop chambered in .357 mag/.38 special. It has an 8 or 9 round capacity, depending on the caliber. Guess I'm lucky too, never had a failure to load or eject if you work the lever correctly (i.e., with some gusto). It's the firearm that I have the most fun to shoot. Recoil is very minimal with .38 special. The .357 magnum rounds have a little more kick, but nothing crazy.

It's a top eject, so it's not super friendly to adding a scope. If you want to go that route, you'll have to put it forward of the receiver.

Overall quality isn't as good as an older Marlin or Winchester from what I hear, but still goes bang and is fairly accurate. A rookie like me can hit the metal plates at the pistol benches at Angeles Shooting Range. Just my opinion, I kind of like the lesser quality of it. I don't feel bad if it gets banged up a bit, so I'll know I'll use it and not keep it locked away in a safe. Like nickabeans said, any issues can be easily fixed.

Loading is slow compared to magazine fed firearms. That's with any lever action. Learn to work the lever while you're still sighting the rifle or lower it all the way down to your hip. If you lower the rifle just a bit and work the lever, the spend casing might hit you in the face.

Hope this helps!

devster55
08-30-2013, 7:41 PM
I love my 1969 marlin 336 and my 1895.

UberPatriot
08-30-2013, 7:47 PM
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/
Lots of good info here.

UberPatriot
08-30-2013, 7:52 PM
Angle eject model Winchester 1894. Still able to mount a normal scope base. I prefer the feel of the Winchester verse Marlins.

Round count will depend on magazine tube length and caliber.

Round count an issue? I can make you one of these. ;-)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/ezkiel/20130806_230234_zpsff0ffd5a.jpg

Very NICE!

Can you make one for my Marlin 1894c 38/357?

smittty
08-30-2013, 7:55 PM
20" Rossi 92 in 45LC

NapalmCheese
08-31-2013, 9:33 AM
Very NICE!

Can you make one for my Marlin 1894c 38/357?

I might need one of those for an M94, nice work kielbasavw!

checkenbach
08-31-2013, 7:10 PM
I went with a Marlin .357 lever gun. Super easy to take apart to clean, takes about 5 minutes or less, and you can use a pass through cleaning rod once the bolt is out. Very sweet shooting gun.

CSACANNONEER
08-31-2013, 7:15 PM
No round count limit because they're tube-fed magazines.

Really? You might want to do a little more research before making a blanket statement like that. Some lever actions are single shots, some are tube fed, some are fed by detachable box magazines and some have internal rotary magazines.

tmh1
08-31-2013, 7:40 PM
The current Big 5 ad has the Rossi Rio Grande 30-30 lever gun listed for $439.99 (regular $499.99) through Tuesday 9/3. I've never shot a Rio Grande, but I have several R92's, all in 38 sp/357, with different barrel lengths and configurations. Love them all.

How are you planning on using the gun, and this will best determine the best caliber for you. I love shooting 38/357 out of a rifle, even a shorter barreled one. I have a Mossberg 464 lever gun in 30-30, and it definitely is not as much fun to plink/shoot holes in paper. Both on the shoulder, and in the wallet. Plus it seems like 30-30 (especially flat-tip or Lever-Evolution - compatible bullets for tubular magazines in lever guns) is unobtanium at the moment (but it is such a popular round that it will come back eventually). 38 sp and some 357 you can find now, although it is more expensive then before. But lots of companies do and will make it now and in the future. Seems like all the other calibers mentioned (other then 308) aren't as popular, and therefore are generally less available and more expensive. Gotta factor all of this into the purchase - the gun becomes the least expensive part of the whole equation!

Note that guns like the Rossi R92 are generally most popular in pistol calibers, and these will sell out the fastest when distributors like Davidson's (Gallery of Guns) post their new inventory. I have heard/read some stories about R92's not functioning all that well with 38 sp (IIRC), but I have never had a single hiccup with any of my guns, and have even used them with new shooters who may never have used a lever gun in the past. And their actions do smooth out over time/rounds.

BTW: When doing some 357 vs 30-30 searching myself, I became aware of the following article regarding their ballistics out of a rifle barrel. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the 357 does out of a longer barrel as I really enjoy shooting that cartridge vs the 30-30 for what I do.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05/chris-dumm/lever-action-ballistics-30-30-vs-357-magnum/

TMB 1
08-31-2013, 7:41 PM
Really? You might want to do a little more research before making a blanket statement like that. Some lever actions are single shots, some are tube fed, some are fed by detachable box magazines and some have internal rotary magazines.

Yep but the only ones I've seen that load through the side have tube magazines.

Wrangler John
09-01-2013, 5:29 AM
Here you go. http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/finder.asp?f1=003B

Removable box magazine, calibers from .223 to .450 Marlin, even 7mm Remington Magnum and .300 Winchester Magnum along the way. Use pointed bullets, not flat nosed pistol type bullets. More accuracy than other lever actions as the bolt locks into the barrel not sloppy loose rear locking bars of other designs. Faster to reload than a side loading gate, just drop the empty magazine and pop in another. Scope mounting easy. Costs a little more, but a better rifle unless you want that funky western look.

CSACANNONEER
09-01-2013, 5:53 AM
Yep but the only ones I've seen that load through the side have tube magazines.

OK, That makes sense.

zo6junki
09-01-2013, 8:51 AM
so if i wanted to buy a lever action rifle in 44 mag to match my revolver,would you go Rossi 92,Marlin 1894 or bite the bullet (pun intended) and find an older Winchester?

TMB 1
09-01-2013, 10:51 AM
so if i wanted to buy a lever action rifle in 44 mag to match my revolver,would you go Rossi 92,Marlin 1894 or bite the bullet (pun intended) and find an older Winchester?

If you think you might want to use a scope the Marlin is the way to go. I have both & like the feel of the 92s better but the Marlin is good too just a little chunkier feeling.

golfish
09-01-2013, 11:42 AM

I have a Rossi M92 44mag Carbine. It shoots all over the place and isn't good for much. I feel the forearm stock is the reason it so junky. She needs all new furniture. Once I get new wood on it I'm going to try and trade up.

I also have a .357 24" Rossi M92 Rifle. That sucker will hit a 12" gong at 100 yards all day long, all week long and not miss a beat. I really like the rifle. If your feeling lucky, I'd go after a 20" 44 mag Rifle (oct barrel) Those are a little hard to find but well worth it.

Tom-ADC
09-01-2013, 1:22 PM

I have an old Marlin one of the first in 44 mag, I'm also a old guy but I find the Williams FP peep sight with target knobs works great and I can even hit a steel chicken with it. This rifle just keeps on going.

adamjay
09-01-2013, 1:27 PM
I love my rossi 92 in .357, 16". Super fun plinker and right on the money at 100yds. Check out stevesgunz.com for his upgrades, slicking package, etc. .38s good for plinking, hardcast .357s for heavier work. Haven't had any problems, except its pretty stiff out of the box, gets slicker with a little use. Great gun for when the kids want to step up from a .22.

When I was looking, was also considering the marlin, but could t find one at a reasonable price at the time. Had a lot of guys tell me to insist on the pre- remington model, JM stamped on the barrel.

SCAR Face
09-01-2013, 9:28 PM
The 20" Chiappa 1892 Alaskan in 44RM is a sweet shooting lever action with 10+1 capacity. Large loop, octagon barrel, Skinner sights and the handy take-down feature for storage and portability. It's a little pricey but a great package.

mark501w
09-01-2013, 9:31 PM
Kiel, did you make that butt pad?

Emdawg
09-01-2013, 9:34 PM
My Marlin 1894c is .375 and is a nice shooting and compact carbine. Great for the pick-up or horse. Shoots straight and sweet. Side loading and side eject. Only thing though is that the lever is pretty stiff when they are brand new, so it needed a work-out.

I have a 1892 Winchester made by Puma/Chiappa in 45LC. It is one of the sweetest firing guns I have. Great quality in wood and metal.

Just got a brand new 1895 Remlin Gremlin (Marlin) in 45-70, so I will have to see how that one does after it gets out of jail.

'ol shooter
09-01-2013, 9:39 PM
Now that you are thoroughly overloaded with input, here's one more site you can check out. All levers, all the time. :)

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/

3006mv
09-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Winchester 1895 in 30-06, internal box mag.
Rossis are good, Henry and mossberg also good. The Italian ones are too pricey.
I have the 94s in each common caliber except .45LC

Invest in lead casting and reloading if you want to shoot a lot.

Chime in if anyone has had a .45acp converted from a LC, want/need
Edited: probably more likely conversion to 45 AutoRim?

reidnez
09-02-2013, 3:26 PM
Really depends on your use...Hunting? Plinking? If the former, I'd go with something in .30-30. If the latter, any of the pistol-caliber leverguns are just a blast to shoot. If you're only going to have one, I'd say pre-'64 Winchester '94. They can still be had in great shape for <$500. I just happen to think they're the prettiest, sweetest-handling, classic hunting rifles around. If I could only have one rifle it just might be my 1955 '94...it's not insanely powerful, or supremely accurate, or even particularly valuable, but there is just something about that piece that I can't explain. It's an unpretentious, purely utilitarian tool that somehow also manages to be beautiful. It's equally useful and full of charm. Maybe I've watched too many Westerns. I also think the Marlins are quite nice, albeit a tad chunkier. You really can't go wrong I think. Leverguns are where it's at.

CrippledPidgeon
09-02-2013, 4:03 PM
I'm looking into lever guns with the side loading ability.
Where should I start?
I'm looking at commonly seen calibers right now using google/gun broker. I'm interested in .357mag/.38spl, .44mag, .45LC and .308 as of now.
Difference between side ejection vs others? Round count restrictions?
Any information or sites of information would be helpful. Add any info.
(Google Search is a bit of a cluster f***)

.308 in a lever? That's a very uncommon caliber for levers because the spitzer bullet prevents its use in tube magazines (the point will rest against the primer of the cartridge ahead of it). A quick google search only came up with the Winchester 88, and it fed from a box mag. Probably similar to the 1895.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-02-2013, 5:07 PM
.308 in a lever? That's a very uncommon caliber for levers because the spitzer bullet prevents its use in tube magazines (the point will rest against the primer of the cartridge ahead of it). A quick google search only came up with the Winchester 88, and it fed from a box mag. Probably similar to the 1895.

Savage 99, Browning BLR are two that I can think of right off the top of my head.

TMB 1
09-02-2013, 5:40 PM

I figured he was talking about the 308 Marlin.

MMXX
09-03-2013, 5:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking 357 for plinking so I'll check those out. The box fed for hunting - when I get to that. Just shot the range-neighbors 30wc over the weekend (awesome) so I'm just going to have to look out for some others.
Also for 357/38 are there special rounds or should all type be fine? (HP?)

CrippledPidgeon
09-03-2013, 5:49 PM
Savage 99, Browning BLR are two that I can think of right off the top of my head.]
Okay. 3 models :p

I figured he was talking about the 308 Marlin.
*facepalm. I forgot about that cartridge. But that'd be a big mistake to make :o

thenodnarb
09-03-2013, 7:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking 357 for plinking so I'll check those out. The box fed for hunting - when I get to that. Just shot the range-neighbors 30wc over the weekend (awesome) so I'm just going to have to look out for some others.
Also for 357/38 are there special rounds or should all type be fine? (HP?)

Avoid certain bullet types in a tube fed gun. I loaded some FMJ round nose 38 spl into my new to me Rossi, and the round nose bullet dents the primers in the tube. I haven't fired it yet but I will stick to ammo that has a flat nose(hollow point OK probably).

Epaphroditus
09-25-2013, 11:15 AM
.308 in a lever? ...SNIP... Winchester 88, and it fed from a box mag. Probably similar to the 1895.

Box mag, yes - like the 1895 - not really in the slightest (besides the obvious).

I inherited a Win 88 in 308 Winchester from FIL and while the interwebs generally give it pan it shoots very nicely (better than I'm capable). Many elk and deer have fallen to the beasty.

I do like my Marlin 1895 but I'll not compare the two. Both fit their niche as I intend to use them!

scarville
09-25-2013, 8:28 PM
If you want a pistol caliber carbine in a lever action the 38/357, 44 and 45 LC are all excellent choices. My PCC's are all 357 magnum (or 9mm) because that matches the handguns in my safe, However, the 44 spl/mag or 45 Colt will stop a goblin just as well.

If you are just looking for a practice rifle then a pistol caliber carbine may be just the thing. I bought an 1894C in 2001 because the nearest indoor range would let me use it there. Yeah, it was only 50 feet but it was still a rifle. Now I like lever-guns and I will take one on a hunting trip over a bolt action when I can -- far more pigs and deer have fallen to my 308 BLR than my M-77 -- but that 1894 was still the best damned gun investment I ever made.

Sputnik
09-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Have you looked at Winchester's website? They still sell some decent lever guns. I have one of their '92s (.357) and its a nicely made rifle. It's made by Miroku in Japan now but they do a fine job of it.