PDA

View Full Version : FFL between Fresno and Modesto Question

JohnC'sBobcat
01-08-2008, 2:30 PM
Does anyone know of an FFL somewhere between Fresno and Modesto (inclusive) who charges less than $70 for a transfer (of an approved handgun) from out-of-state?
My local shops in Merced want $100+DROS for it, so I'm interested in an alternative, if one can be found.

Thanks in advance!

paradox
01-08-2008, 2:41 PM
Does anyone know of an FFL somewhere between Fresno and Modesto (inclusive) who charges less than $70 for a transfer (of an approved handgun) from out-of-state?
My local shops in Merced want $100+DROS for it, so I'm interested in an alternative, if one can be found.

Thanks in advance!

Come up to Sonora. It's a pretty drive (red hills should be flowering now), J59 is being repaved, and the Sportsman in downtown Sonora will do it for around $20 + DROS.

Oh, and you can get a beer while you do the paperwork ;)

tamaneko
01-08-2008, 2:42 PM
$100?! Jesus, why the hell for that much?!

JohnC'sBobcat
01-08-2008, 2:43 PM
$100?! Jesus, why the hell for that much?!

Well, if I had to guess, I'd say they're setting the fees so high to discourage folks from buying a gun from someone other than them. Sort of a protective tariff.

mds2004
01-08-2008, 2:48 PM
The Gun shop in Clovis will do it. $70 after DROS. I just used him and he is now my main gun shop in Fresno.

This is Rob's policy at Breco

"Thank you for your inquiry.

The fee's we charge for transferring a firearm are as follows.
DROS fee ........................$25
Transfer fee.................... $45
TOTAL............................$70

Handgun Purchasers. Click on the following link to see if the handgun is California legal. http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

HOW THE PROCESS WORKS:
(1)You bid and win an on-line auction.
(2)You arrange payment with seller.
(3)You contact me via e-mail with, your contact info, the sellers contact info. (Name, address and or fax number) & gun type.
(4)I will mail or fax my FFL to seller, than notify you via e-mail that this has been done. (I can not accept handgun shipments from non FFL holders)
(5)When the firearm arrives, I will contact you for inspection of firearm and the background check. (This is when payment is due)
(6)After the 10 day waiting period, you may pick-up your firearm.

TO KEEP YOUR COST TO A MINIMUM, WE RECOMMEND THAT THIS OUTLINE BE FOLLOWED.

Sincerely,
Rob Brechmann
BRECO ENTERPRISES
(559)322-1710 "

4 Brigada
01-08-2008, 3:01 PM
I just used him and he is now my main gun shop in Fresno.

Seems that he is also the best one to deal with, he also does AR type OLL receivers. No one else does them in Fresno.

+1 on BRECO

DANGERCLOSE
01-09-2008, 7:25 AM
+10 for working with rob of breco. he is awesome and deserves our business. i drive 45 minutes instead of using the local guys. i have referred over 5 friends who have purchased from him. it is well worth the drive.:)

FEDUPWBS
01-09-2008, 8:26 AM
BRECO WILL NOT DO ANY OLL EXCEPT AR OLL. ie. no aks, ptrs, etc.

paradox
01-09-2008, 8:32 AM
BRECO WILL NOT DO ANY OLL EXCEPT AR OLL. ie. no aks, ptrs, etc.

The Sportsman will do anything that is Cali-legal. I've personally bought AR lowers, NDS AK recievers, and RAA Saigas through them.

spencerhut
01-09-2008, 1:29 PM
Breco is great and so is the Sportsmen's Den in Oakhurst. I think Sportsmen's Den is $55 for a transfer. I've never done just a transfer before. If I want a gun I have Breco or The Sportsmen's Den find it for me. I'm so happy they are both even around in this wacko state that I just pay them. Little silly, I know, but they are both good people. Hell, Breco even gave me a refund at pickup day one time because he said he overcharged me $20.00.

Both Breco in Clovis and Sportsmen's Den in Oakhurst are good folks.

JohnC'sBobcat
01-11-2008, 6:59 PM
Come up to Sonora. It's a pretty drive (red hills should be flowering now), J59 is being repaved, and the Sportsman in downtown Sonora will do it for around $20 + DROS.

Oh, and you can get a beer while you do the paperwork ;)

Was just up there on Thursday to get the ball rolling. Nice town, and the store definitely has character!

valleyrat
01-12-2008, 9:50 AM
Breco is great and so is the Sportsmen's Den in Oakhurst. I think Sportsmen's Den is $55 for a transfer. I've never done just a transfer before. If I want a gun I have Breco or The Sportsmen's Den find it for me. I'm so happy they are both even around in this wacko state that I just pay them. Little silly, I know, but they are both good people. Hell, Breco even gave me a refund at pickup day one time because he said he overcharged me $20.00.

Both Breco in Clovis and Sportsmen's Den in Oakhurst are good folks.

Interesting... is that $55 inclusive of DROS fees? Looks like a good alternative to driving to Sac. I need to order some NDSs.

paradox
01-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Was just up there on Thursday to get the ball rolling. Nice town, and the store definitely has character!

That place has been there forever. Next time you're there ask to see the cellar. It used to have a mine tunnel connecting it to the house of a previous owner so he could walk home without being mugged.

Blackhawk556
03-27-2009, 3:34 PM
as of 3/27/2009 breco charged 85 bucks for trasfer, I bought a OLL online and he trasfered it for me great guy. will definitely do business with him again.

$85 included-----> $60 transfer + 25 DROS

JeffM
03-27-2009, 3:41 PM
as of 3/27/2009 breco charged 85 bucks for trasfer, I bought a OLL online and he trasfered it for me great guy. will definitely do business with him again.

$85 included-----> $60 transfer + 25 DROS

Are you Breco? Why are you digging up threads that are 1-2 years old or older just to pimp him?

PRK is cheaper, and will transfer legal rifles like AKs that Breco is too scared to touch.

Jeff (not me, the owner of PRK) is a great guy to deal with, and I share his sentiments that gun dealers shouldn't be p***ies.

What he said^

Burnit7
04-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Hate to necro this post from such a long time ago but I figured it was preferable compared to creating a new thread on almost the exact same issue. :chris:

Getting back on topic, I was planning on buying/transferring my first OLL from the out-of-state manufacturer to my local gun store in Merced. Gathering from the fee, I'm pretty sure I've arrived at the same one as OP, as they're still charging the same 100$ amount. :(

While I have experienced nothing less than great and friendly service from the store, this fee feels way too high and I'd prefer to save as much as I can to spend on future parts for my rifle.

So in that, I was wondering if the recommended stores referenced in this thread still have the cheapest fees. 4 years is a pretty long time for fees to change and new FFLs to get into the business, so unless there is something I'm missing I was hoping someone could steer me to an FFL with the cheapest transfer + dros fee while being reasonably close to Merced (is a fee below $50 feasible?). Additionally, are there any FFLs that don't charge tax? The tax I'd be paying on the lower would be rather high. If the information would rather be passed by PM, I'd be grateful either way.

Anyways, sorry for the barrage of questions!
Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Also, before anyone mentions it, I have already read the sticky on FFLs fees, but I feel that the list remains rather meager in regards to FFLs located in the central valley area near Merced.

Peter.Steele
04-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Last I knew, Sheppard's in Chowchilla was charging $75, but I can't recall if that was including DROS or not.