PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into archery after several years... need help!

anti
08-29-2013, 8:08 PM
Hey, several years ago I was somewhat into archery but didn't really have a clue as to what was going on. My step dad had bought me his co-worker's circa 1980s PSE compound bow strung at 75lbs, a leash, several arrows, and said "Have at it!"

I now know that I'd like to start small and definitely stick with a recurve. I've been hearing the Samick Sage is a great bow for beginners. Any other suggestions? I'm 5'8" 150lbs... what size/draw weight should I go with for a recurve?

onewheelwes
08-29-2013, 8:18 PM
This seems a common question in the early days of this sub-forum. I think it is one where a good archery shop kicks the living daylights out of anything you will find on the internet. You need to learn the muscle groups you use to pull a bow, so you get an idea of what weight you want.. You need to shoot some bows to see what you like and what you are willing to pay for. Sorry, my only helpful advise is to make a trip to a good shop. I shoot a Mathews Conquest 3 that is almost 10 years old. I haven't found anything I like better yet. When I do, my wife will be pissed.

anti
08-29-2013, 8:31 PM
This seems a common question in the early days of this sub-forum. I think it is one where a good archery shop kicks the living daylights out of anything you will find on the internet. You need to learn the muscle groups you use to pull a bow, so you get an idea of what weight you want.. You need to shoot some bows to see what you like and what you are willing to pay for. Sorry, my only helpful advise is to make a trip to a good shop. I shoot a Mathews Conquest 3 that is almost 10 years old. I haven't found anything I like better yet. When I do, my wife will be pissed.

Thanks, your advice definitely makes sense, I remember wanting a newer Matthews compound bow (as if I had the money in high school, right?) and the employees at OC Archery offered to fit me for one.

I did a little more research and others recommended the Matthews Jaguar and Saber also. I think I'm going to go with the Samick Sage strung at 40lbs. Now I need to figure out what limbs to get.

I plan on building the bow piece by piece to get it just where I like it. I'm already set on a right-handed Samick Sage riser.

Can you recommend a decent set of limbs, string, and other parts to go with it?

anti
08-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Nevermind, I've decided to go with a 35# Samick Sage complete bow. All I plan on buying is velcro for the arrow rest, arrows, tab/guard, bow case, and a sling.

Bongos
08-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Nevermind, I've decided to go with a 35# Samick Sage complete bow. All I plan on buying is velcro for the arrow rest, arrows, tab/guard, bow case, and a sling.

If you know what you want, the best place to buy is FS Archery in Orange, it's more of a warehouse but they are 30% less than OC and HiTech.. you have to know what you are looking for as they don't offer any advice and their customer service sucks but hey, they are 30% less.

frankm
08-30-2013, 10:55 AM

That's a good choice for a beginner.

covingtonhouse
09-06-2013, 6:28 PM
Join or at least go check out a local archery club. You will find many others who enjoy the sport and most archers are more than willing to provide advise or help. some clubs also offer lessons and outreach programs.

BigBronco
09-07-2013, 9:55 PM
I would not recommend velcro for a rest. That bow was designed for a rest. It will perform better with an inexpensive rest.

p1choco
09-08-2013, 10:35 AM
I would not recommend velcro for a rest. That bow was designed for a rest. It will perform better with an inexpensive rest.

While it may shoot "better" from a rest, with the proper bow and shaft tuning, it can perform very well shooting off the shelf. I had the chance to try one shooting off the shelf and I was impressed it shot as well as it did. It is not on the level of well built custom, but for the price, it's very decent.

Anti, I when buying this, I would highly recomend buying a new flemish string from a reputible string maker and look into the art of tuning arrows and your bow. You will experience a more pleasurable shooting experience when you're form, release and equipment is tuned just right. Shoot me a pm I can get point you to some great resources if you decide you want to stick with the bow for a while.

Bongos
09-08-2013, 9:09 PM
still shooting off the shelf will require some type of rest material whether it's a piece of leather or rug material. There is no wrong answer.

BTW, BigBronco got me started in Archery years ago, though he doesn't like to brag, he was State Champ for a number of years

p1choco
09-09-2013, 7:28 PM
still shooting off the shelf will require some type of rest material whether it's a piece of leather or rug material. There is no wrong answer.

BTW, BigBronco got me started in Archery years ago, though he doesn't like to brag, he was State Champ for a number of years

Correct, velcro works well. I like using calf hair, but velcro is abundant, cheap, predictable, self adhesive and can easily be customized. I have recently switched to velcro on my current bow and chilling be happier. Different strokes for different folks.

mossy
09-09-2013, 8:28 PM
sage is a great bow, i love mine. i like shooting off a rest, and require pin sights. i tried to shoot instinctively but was never that great, once i got the pin sights on i instantly improved my shooting. if you are new, stay with lighter poundage limbs.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc386/mossyman2/CAM00032_zpsc903d2fc.jpg

wjc
09-09-2013, 9:56 PM
You might want to consider a brace for your left arm, Mossy.

I've gotten a lot of nasty bruises on my wrist if the brace height isn't correct.

BTW, what bow is that?

Update: Nevermind...I just saw the picture thread...Sammick, right?

sl0re10
09-10-2013, 6:23 PM
Hey, several years ago I was somewhat into archery but didn't really have a clue as to what was going on. My step dad had bought me his co-worker's circa 1980s PSE compound bow strung at 75lbs, a leash, several arrows, and said "Have at it!"

I now know that I'd like to start small and definitely stick with a recurve. I've been hearing the Samick Sage is a great bow for beginners. Any other suggestions? I'm 5'8" 150lbs... what size/draw weight should I go with for a recurve?

I'll give you some unconventional advice. Samick little fox in a light draw. 30-40ish pounds. I bought a left handed that I hold with my left hand like this \ and draw with my right thumb (arrow on top \' ). A lot of people get a thumb ring with a bit that sticks out to hold the bow string. So no normal finger guard and no arm guard (never hit my arm shooting this way).

Like imperial measures; British long bows are different than most of the rest of the world.... and when we buy recurves we still think in British terms. Check out Korean, Mongolian, Hungarian, et cetera archery for another view. There are pages and youtube videos about how they do it. Not as much power but something you can do without full attention (like on horseback) and more rapid fire (no one tell Yee).

dgc357
09-14-2013, 9:45 AM
Is there anything wrong with buying a take-down bow for a beginner?

frankm
09-14-2013, 9:48 AM
Is there anything wrong with buying a take-down bow for a beginner?

Not a thing!

mindwip
09-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Or do what I did and build your own bows. Much better that way. Have made about 5 of them gave most away.

tomah
09-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Come by the Archery Outpost in Los Alamitos! We will take care of you there :)

dgc357
10-05-2013, 9:33 AM
I went and shot a few bows at my local archery shop Thursday. Decided to go with a 40lb Samick Sage. Unfortunately the only one they had in stock was the demo unit so now the wait begins until they get the one I ordered in. Seems like a lot of people recommend replacing the string.

Now time to build a little range in the back yard. Any suggestions? Are straw bales the way to do it on the cheap side?