PDA

View Full Version : Obama Rolls Out New Gun-Control Efforts (Executive Orders)

sacto929
08-29-2013, 5:31 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/29/obama-announces-new-gun-control-measures-targets-military-surplus-imports/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fpolitics+%28Interna l+-+Politics+-+Text%29

PhillyGunner
08-29-2013, 5:42 AM
Beat me to it while I was searching for dupes. Guess this answers the question posed by the How'd that Brady Campaign Go in D.C. this Weekend? thread.

I particularly like how they manage to say both gun control advocates and the Administration know what they are talking about... despite the CDC's very own report... required by one of these same Executive Orders, that shows they are barking up the wrong tree.

"Still out of reach for Obama were the steps that gun control advocates and the administration's own review say could most effectively combat gun violence in the U.S., like an assault weapons ban and fewer exceptions for background checks for individual sales. Only Congress can act on those fronts."

Guess they found a couple more trees.

EM2
08-29-2013, 6:01 AM
AP Exclusive: Obama offers new gun control steps (http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-exclusive-obama-offers-new-gun-control-steps)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Striving to take action where Congress would not, the Obama administration announced new steps Thursday on gun control, curbing the import of military surplus weapons and proposing to close a little-known loophole that lets felons and others circumvent background checks by registering guns to corporations.
Four months after a gun control drive collapsed spectacularly in the Senate, President Barack Obama added two more executive actions to a list of 23 steps the White House determined Obama could take on his own to reduce gun violence. With the political world focused on Mideast tensions and looming fiscal battles, the move signaled Obama's intent to show he hasn't lost sight of a cause he took up after 20 first graders and six adults were gunned down last year in an elementary school in Newtown, Conn.

One new policy will end a government practice that lets military weapons, sold or donated by the U.S. to allies, be reimported into the U.S. by private entities, where some may end up on the streets. The White House said the U.S. has approved 250,000 of those guns to be reimported since 2005; under the new policy, only museums and a few other entities like the government will be eligible to reimport military-grade firearms.

Yeah cause them gang bangers love to haul around an M1 Garand.:rolleyes:
Ignorant/evil bastard

desertjosh
08-29-2013, 6:09 AM
Damn, you beat me to it. Does this mean tbe end of CMP?

Rock6.3
08-29-2013, 6:17 AM
Damn, you beat me to it. Does this mean tbe end of CMP?

No. CMP only handles 30 and 22 caliber rifles that are surplus to the needs of the U.S. Military.

CMP is not an importer.

jrock
08-29-2013, 6:26 AM
...."However, felons, domestic abusers, and others prohibited from having guns can easily evade the required background check and gain access to machine guns or other particularly dangerous weapons by registering the weapon to a trust or corporation.* At present, when the weapon is registered to a trust or corporation, no background check is run.* ATF reports that last year alone, it received more than 39,000 requests for transfers of these restricted firearms to trusts or corporations.·*********Today, ATF is issuing a new proposed regulation to close this loophole.* The proposed rule requires individuals associated with trusts or corporations that acquire these types of weapons to undergo background checks, just as these individuals would if the weapons were registered to them individually.* By closing this loophole, the regulation will ensure that machine guns and other particularly dangerous weapons do not end up in the wrong hands."
-the weekly standard

Ninety
08-29-2013, 6:31 AM
I wonder if these people even know what they are trying to ban..

The lunacy that comes out of Washington is amazing..

CortoPasta
08-29-2013, 6:40 AM
Honest question: Does this mean no more Mosin Nagants or surplus ammo?

Uranium238
08-29-2013, 7:06 AM
Yep, I would like to know this too. I have been wanting a Mosin.

I woke up to find out the surplus ban was an executive order just signed.

lasbrg
08-29-2013, 7:09 AM
This just in! WSJ: Obama Administration Rolls Out New Gun-Control Efforts (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323324904579042793499670358.html)
Changes Aim to Limit Imports of Some Weapons, Close Background-Check "Loophole" (quotes mine)

WASHINGTON—The Obama administration on Thursday rolled out new efforts aimed at curtailing gun violence, announcing steps to limit imports of certain military-style weapons and close a loophole that allows certain purchasers to evade background checks.

The new regulations build on earlier efforts by President Barack Obama to reduce gun violence and come as sweeping changes to the nation's gun laws have failed to gain traction in Congress.

The White House, in announcing the new regulations, said the changes should help keep dangerous weapons off the nation's streets. One proposal would block imports of weapons that the U.S. sold or provided to allies abroad—with a few exceptions such as to allow the weapons to be placed in museums. Since 2005, the White House said, the U.S. has authorized 250,000 imports of such weapons.

The other action would close a loophole in gun laws that allows felons and others to bypass a background check when purchasing machine guns or short-barreled shotguns by registering their weapon with a trust or corporation. The White House said the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which oversees much of the country's guns, received more than 39,000 requests last year for weapons through trusts or corporations.

Mr. Obama has taken a series of actions since the mass school shooting in Newtown, Conn., last year to reduce gun violence. His other actions include steps to fill gaps in the background-check system, allow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to research the causes and prevention of gun violence and put in place a permanent director at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, also known as the ATF.

The White House said the government has completed or taken significant action on a majority of the president's proposals. Indeed, on Thursday the new head of the ATF, Todd Jones, is expected to get sworn in by Vice President Joe Biden. Earlier this week, Mr. Obama met with 18 mayors to discuss efforts to reduce gun violence.

But even the White House acknowledges that significantly reducing gun violence will require congressional action. Congress has considered steps to limit the types of weapons that are sold on the streets and expand background checks. But those efforts have failed amid a strong pushback from gun-rights groups such as the National Rifle Association.

Norsemen308
08-29-2013, 7:11 AM
the mosin, the sks, mausers....etc... have all been put on point..

this blows....

my question is can he really with a stroke of a pen do this?? Or does he have to go to congress again?

North86
08-29-2013, 7:14 AM
I am not 100% sure exactly what this would affect. Anyone have a good idea what this will impact?

Caleb1911
08-29-2013, 7:19 AM
Our dear leader is at it again . . . here is the article headlined on Drudge:
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-exclusive-obama-offers-new-gun-control-steps
Another link from FoxNews.com
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/29/obama-announces-new-gun-control-measures-targets-military-surplus-imports/
It would appear from these articles that Obama is banning the repatriation of American military weapons that our government has given away to other governments. I would assume this move would impact the large quantity of M1 Garands and Carbines that are said to be still overseas. I am sure it will also impact an assortment of other guns that legitimate shooters and collectors would like to be able to purchase. Does anyone have a list of guns that are good candidates for repatriation that would be impacted by this ban and I was wondering if this action would have any impact on the import of AK parts kits and the like. I have not seen the executive order, but I am suspicious that it might have some verbiage that goes beyond what is being initially reported here.

mossy
08-29-2013, 7:21 AM
I am not 100% sure exactly what this would affect. Anyone have a good idea what this will impact?

I think stuff like old 1911's, m1's and any thing US made.

hadjin
08-29-2013, 7:24 AM
Yup, get your Garands while you can.

daveinwoodland
08-29-2013, 7:24 AM
I had read this article earlier today and could on shake my head and the continued stupidity and FUD this administration continues to practice.

The comment that stood out to me as completely ridiculous was that felons and others not allowed to purchase could bypass the law and purchase machine guns etc. etc. etc. :facepalm::facepalm:

Caleb1911
08-29-2013, 7:33 AM
Another question is how this will impact the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program - odcmp.com) which sells a large quantity of M1 Garands and is itself a government entity. Does anyone know if CMP imports any of its guns? If so how many and how will this impact them and their mission to train up quality young shooters? Is this, to a certain degree, an effort to dry up the supply of CMP surplus weapons?

alosix
08-29-2013, 7:34 AM
No clue on the AK parts kits yet. Though.. it does make me want to order a few more just in case..

What they are probably doing is here is just making sure we can't import the stuff they lost in F&F and Bengazi :)..

(that was sarcasm for the slower reading folks..)

the86d
08-29-2013, 7:36 AM
They are denying the trusts because they want to get RID of firearms, and do away with that pesky 2nd Amendment, and the rest while they are at it...

These "military-style"/"military-grade" (meaning long lasting that you might be able to pass-on to your children?) firearms must be removed "for the children", however all firearms started with military-based design, RIGHT? For killing bad guys.

MolonLabe2008
08-29-2013, 7:37 AM
But...but...but...Obama signed a post 2008 crash credit card bill that had an attachment allowing firearms in National parks.

The Obama sycophants will be along shortly to remind us of that.

Caleb1911
08-29-2013, 7:39 AM
I have read in several places that a lot of parts kits came about as a result of U.S. Government purchases from European and Middle Eastern governments and then were transferred to groups in other war zones like Bosnia, etc . . . They were used in battle and then eventually demilled and kitted out. If these guns have U.S. Government fingerprints on them, would they not also be included in the ban?

lasbrg
08-29-2013, 7:42 AM
Dupe. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=815355

hotwls13
08-29-2013, 7:44 AM
Why would this affect Russian/Yugoslavian/Chinese manufactured firearms or ammo?? Am I missing something?

It say's "sold or donated by the U.S. to allies, be reimported into the U.S. by private entities". Aren't they talking about US military firearms like the Garand??

artoaster
08-29-2013, 7:46 AM
A president should not be allowed to cut and paste laws already on books. That would be like an Executive Order to change the national speed limit because of a tragic school bus accident on an interstate and is just not how our system is supposed to work.

It's time to go back and get a president's power in check.

Hoooper
08-29-2013, 7:47 AM
what is the point of doing this? It says they approved 250,000 surplus bring backs since 2005. At 35,714 per year that is 0.21% of all gun sale background checks in 2012

lasbrg
08-29-2013, 7:48 AM
If we agree to ban import of US-made weapons, then import of everything else would be the new "loophole". I think the strategy is to try to create as many new "loopholes" as possible so that they can complain about them later.

Hoooper
08-29-2013, 7:54 AM
If we agree to ban import of US-made weapons, then import of everything else would be the new "loophole". I think the strategy is to try to create as many new "loopholes" as possible so that they can complain about them later.

second amendment loophole will be the next one

chris
08-29-2013, 7:54 AM
Well the CDC study didnt go the way he wanted it so he's doing it anyways. But i doubt any legislaion will make it out of the house when they get it.

PhillyGunner
08-29-2013, 8:04 AM
I read this article as an AP Exclusive this AM, through my Earthlink home page.

I then found the article (1st up was ABC, though all the majors were in the google search) and went to that link, so I didn't have to link through my home page.

I just tried to access the article for quotes, on the ABC site and then through Earthlink, and the article is no longer the same!

It now has VP Biden in the title, and NO use of the words EXECUTIVE or ORDER!!

I don't have WSJ so it won't let me read the article. Does anyone have access to the original article through any of the mainstream media outlets that originally ran the story?

TNP'R
08-29-2013, 8:10 AM
Yep get those M1 Garands out of the hands of those mass shooters and street thugs. They sure are a problem!!:rolleyes:

CessnaDriver
08-29-2013, 8:11 AM
Yep get those M1 Garands out of the hands of those mass shooters and street thugs. They sure are a problem!!:rolleyes:

Exactly.
It's pure vengeance on us. Nothing practical.
This admin is pure evil. Balls to bone.

SilverTauron
08-29-2013, 8:11 AM
In taking the long view,it would seem Obama is preparing for a Democrat victory in 2014.The fate of the Bill of Rights rests on a divided legislature-we cannot afford to lose the House to the hoplophobes.

If we do,you can bet Obama will make up for lost time.

CenterMass90068
08-29-2013, 8:15 AM
I noticed that the ATF is now referred to as the ATFE???? Just an observation I didn't know about.

tpliquid1
08-29-2013, 8:15 AM
when this go into effect? I got serbu on order.

PhillyGunner
08-29-2013, 8:17 AM
In taking the long view,it would seem Obama is preparing for a Democrat victory in 2014.The fate of the Bill of Rights rests on a divided legislature-we cannot afford to lose the House to the hoplophobes.

If we do,you can bet Obama will make up for lost time.

"Sooner or later, we are going to get this right," Obama said that day in the White House Rose Garden, with the families of Newtown victims and former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords — herself a victim of a gunman — at his side. "The memories of these children demand it, and so do the American people," the president said at the time.

Renewing his pledge to keep working for legislative fixed, Biden suggested that one opportunity for improving prospects for gun control may come next year in the midterm elections. Liberal groups and those supporting gun control have vowed to hold accountable in 2014 those lawmakers who voted against gun control.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-exclusive-obama-offers-new-gun-control-steps

"If Congress won't act, we'll fight for a new Congress," Biden said. "It's that simple. But we're going to get this done."

PhillyGunner
08-29-2013, 8:21 AM
This is also a dupe, BTW. Some way to merge the (2) threads in National 2A and this one?

Here's the original:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=815331

CessnaDriver
08-29-2013, 8:24 AM
They will not get that congress. .

Obama invokes the children again. I am convinced blood of babies make him get erections for gun control.
But of course, not if it's Chicago's black children murdering each other with strict gun control in place day after day, month after month, year after year.
Or the blood he caused to flow in Mexico with Fast and Furious.

Just the memory of defenseless white children in "gun free" zones without anyone who could protect them to serve as political launch pads to attack essential rights that preserve liberty. Liberty I am convinced he deeply despises.

Maestro Pistolero
08-29-2013, 8:40 AM
My reply and share on my timeline (feel free to cut and paste):

If the president were serious about reducing gun violence, he would spend his efforts on this issue targeting inner city drug and gang-related violence where it actually occurs. If that crime could be removed from the statistics, it would represent a 95% reduction in violent crime such as murder and assault. Regarding the proposed executive order to ban military surplus rifles: these guns are relics, antiques, curios and collector's items, not modern military small arms.

Examples of a military surplus rifle of any type being used in a violent crime are nearly non-existent. In fact, rifles of all types, including modern so-called assault weapons, are responsible for a paltry 3 percent of all gun crime. So this effort targets ONLY collectors who represent ZERO threat to public safety. This is yet another stick in the eye of law-abiding folks that cannot possibly be related to public safety.

Disingenuous, specious, cynical, and off-target moves like this on the part of this administration serves only to stir anger on the part of those who know better.

The president KNOWS this measure could NOT BE LESS RELATED to the real source of violent crime. Therefore, the president is NOT serious about ACTUALLY reducing the crime where it ACTUALLY occurs, nor even curbing the criminal misuse of the type of gun that is actually used in crime, handguns.

Maestro Pistolero
08-29-2013, 8:42 AM
By the way, shouldn't this thread be here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=331)?

Uranium238
08-29-2013, 8:43 AM
I am worried about ammo. It's hard to find 5.45x39 locally as it is.

lasbrg
08-29-2013, 8:43 AM
I don't have WSJ so it won't let me read the article. Does anyone have access to the original article through any of the mainstream media outlets that originally ran the story?

All but the last sentence of the WSJ article is quoted in the OP.

Mr. Obama and Mr. Biden, who is leading the administration's efforts to curtail gun violence, have said they will continue pushing for gun legislation in Congress.

Ford8N
08-29-2013, 8:46 AM
Who is going to enforce these unconstitutional gun laws? Who?

five.five-six
08-29-2013, 8:46 AM
lose a little-known loophole that lets felons and others circumvent background checks by registering guns to corporations

Yes, because we have had a rash of local crack addicts and gang banger incorporating so they can register otherwise illegal guns.

You can't make this stuff up. I can't believe that anyone is that ****ing stupid :facepalm:

Maestro Pistolero
08-29-2013, 8:47 AM
Dupe. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=815355

Yes, and should be in this sub forum (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=331).

lasbrg
08-29-2013, 8:55 AM
By the way, shouldn't this thread be here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=331)?

Ok. Someone else started a thread on this there: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=815338

/thread

Rebel
08-29-2013, 8:56 AM
For importation, Obama only mentioned firearms "sold or donated by the U.S. to allies, be reimported into the U.S. by private entities". In most cases that is going to be U.S. hardware, such as Garands, M1 Carbines, etc. Going to have to wait for the actual text of the Order.

As to trusts, it seems all beneficiaries and trustees would be required to undergo the same fingerprint-based background checks required to purchase a firearm. What I want to know is if I create a trust, place my firearms under it, have a child (who becomes the sole beneficiary), and croak when that child is 15, what happens then? Again, going to have to wait for the text of the Order.

I'm working on a form letter to send out to my local district representative; when I'm done I will put it up in this thread. As I am at work I can only work on it off and on throughout the day. I'm figuring complaining isn't going to do much (no one wants to hear it anyway) so I will make an attempt at acting through writing.

Hoooper
08-29-2013, 8:57 AM
I noticed that the ATF is now referred to as the ATFE???? Just an observation I didn't know about.

BATFE, been that for a long time, its ATF for short(er)

CessnaDriver
08-29-2013, 8:58 AM

If the president were serious about reducing gun violence, he would spend his efforts on this issue targeting inner city drug and gang-related violence where it actually occurs. If that crime could be removed from the statistics, it would represent a 95% reduction in violent crime such as murder and assault. Regarding the proposed executive order to ban military surplus rifles: these guns are relics, antiques, curios and collector's items, not modern military small arms.

There's not a single known example of a military surplus rifle of any type being used in a violent crime. In fact, rifles of all types, including modern so-called assault weapons, are responsible for a paltry 3 percent of all gun crime. So this effort targets ONLY collectors who represent ZERO threat to public safety. This is yet another stick in the eye of law-abiding folks that cannot possibly be related to public safety.

Disingenuous, specious, cynical, and off-target moves like this on the part of this administration serves only to stir anger on the part of those who know better.

The president KNOWS this measure could NOT BE LESS RELATED to the real source of violent crime. Therefore, the president is NOT serious about ACTUALLY reducing the crime where it ACTUALLY occurs, nor even curbing the criminal misuse of the type of gun that is actually used in crime, handguns.

Oh he knows exactly what he is doing, all this is is proof he is after our rights and not stopping "gun violence".

Norcal Industries
08-29-2013, 8:58 AM

its actually the BATFE.

SLO1911Fan
08-29-2013, 9:00 AM
So, let me get this straight...

He's essentially banning the importation of C&R surplus guns. Like the ones we have in Korea?

Here I was getting ready to go buy a bunch of AK parts kits.

And I still want to know where all these mythical "felons" who bother to set up legal trusts live.

donw
08-29-2013, 9:25 AM

M1 Garands, M1 carbines and the 1911's we gave to Korea and other counties are some of them after we adopted the M14 and M16 battle rifles.

remember...the M1 Carbine does have a "Detachable, box, magazine" and i doubt if most politicians understand the operational intricacies of the M1 garand other than it is a semi-automatic rifle.

the other provision is one that i certainly can understand but i don't quite understand how it is utilized now: "individuals using corporations and companies to purchase guns" ? are people using their employers to buy guns? HOW? unless it's a LEA i don't understand how anyone can do that? most companies will not purchase, or allow employees to purchase firearms in their name(s)...will they?

Dantedamean
08-29-2013, 9:39 AM

I think they added explosives to their name after 9/11.

ll-Rafael-ll
08-29-2013, 9:44 AM
The nfa trusts don't allow felons! What loophole? And really you're gonna keep vintage M1 garands of the streets? When's the last time an M1 garand was used in a drive by?

donw
08-29-2013, 9:46 AM
if we gave these rifles/carbines to another government...they became the property of that government...it would then fall under IMPORTING firearms into the U.S. wouldn't it?

CBruce
08-29-2013, 9:55 AM
AP Exclusive: Obama offers new gun control steps (http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-exclusive-obama-offers-new-gun-control-steps)

So a corporation (which I have been told are people my friend) have the constitutional right to contribute unlimited 'free speech' to political campaigns, somehow simultaneously do not have the right to keep and bear arms? Do corporate rights stop at 1, or do they skip over 2 and proceed to 3, 4, and 5?

I'm sure that the government, law enforcement, domestic security agents, private security, domestic-based military contractors, etc. etc. will be exempt from these restrictions. After all, these people need the actual military weapons (select-fire, SBR, suppressed) on our streets and not the semi-automatic civilian versions that ordinary people don't need.

None of this would have stopped the shooting in Arizona or the Sandy Hook massacre, but we'll continue to prop those corpses up in front of the podium, jam a hand up their ***, and make them puppet "Why won't someone thing of me???"

1911Vince
08-29-2013, 10:13 AM
There's gotta be more to this ban! I guess we'll find out a few years from now.

ChrisC
08-29-2013, 10:20 AM
The comment that stood out to me as completely ridiculous was that felons and others not allowed to purchase could bypass the law and purchase machine guns etc. etc. etc. :facepalm::facepalm:

They can in a face to face transaction with a private seller. No background check is required in some states with a private firearms sale.

ICONIC
08-29-2013, 10:22 AM
phew I was starting to worry about those Hoodlums with m1 Carbines and Mosin Nagant rifles. Our fearless leader have made our streets safe once again.

Hoooper
08-29-2013, 10:25 AM
They can in a face to face transaction with a private seller. No background check is required in some states with a private firearms sale.

what does that have to do with setting up a trust to buy NFA weapons?

"The other action would close a loophole in gun laws that allows felons and others to bypass a background check when purchasing machine guns or short-barreled shotguns by registering their weapon with a trust or corporation"

Best sale
08-29-2013, 10:32 AM
They will not get that congress. .

Obama invokes the children again. I am convinced blood of babies make him get erections for gun control.
But of course, not if it's Chicago's black children murdering each other with strict gun control in place day after day, month after month, year after year.

Just the memory of defenseless white children in "gun free" zones without anyone who could protect them to serve as political launch pads to attack essential rights that preserve liberty.

A++++++++ on that

Ain't it a shame what these two face politicians are doing and will continue to do just to fulfill their own agenda*****

ArmedJackal
08-29-2013, 10:32 AM
What a silly executive order. Can't pass anything of consequence (thank god) on gun control so he is just doing a little point sparring.

Melissa
08-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Whether or not this will have a direct impact on the CMP or the supply thereof in the end (which indeed is running out), one thing's certain: any and every attack on our naturally given rights is even more dangerous and inexcusable than the next, and absolutely NONE should ever be tolerated under any circumstance (emergency or otherwise), or by any standard of moral value.

Even if the government decided to abolish all gun restrictions except for one or two seemingly harmless laws, those two laws are still like cancer cells entering the body. Simply in those minute laws existing, the government asserts its right to dictate what you may own, and what you may do with it-- even if to a small degree. Like a cancer, if left untreated and ignored, it will only grow into more and more toxic, destructive laws that will eventually bring the body to the critical state of morbidity our country is in. This is our last fighting chance, lest we are completely overtaken and destroyed by the disease.

OneFunGuy
08-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Sort of strange that Obama is doing an Executive Order on the re-import
of the Garrands and Carbines. Back in 2010 South Korea wanted to return
those weapons to us. In September of 2010 he placed a ban on those re-imports
and blocked most of those returns. He had already banned the return and now,in addition, an EO?

Reason given was, "... they could potentially be exploited by individuals seeking
firearms for illicit purposes".

The EO is intended to stop "re-imports". I don't believe that would apply to
guns made in other countries, it's talking about guns the US made and lent
or sold to other countries.

Nick Justice
08-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Last time I looked, no one used a machine gun, SBR, SBS, suppressor, or "AOW" at any school shooting.

Hoooper
08-29-2013, 11:02 AM
wouldnt anything coming through a "re-import" need to go through a background check? Apparently they arent the excellent solution he was touting them as just a handful of months ago

hellayella
08-29-2013, 11:18 AM
haha, get ur parts kits now boys!

morfeeis
08-29-2013, 11:24 AM
I keep trying to formulate a coherent sentence to express how i feel about these freedom killing EO's. But every time i do all that comes out of my mouth is a bunch of expletives.

I just wonder if with all the pressure they were under if this is nothing but a smoke screen to make us look away from all their scandals?

connorr931
08-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Just got off the phone with AAA Sporting goods. I called looking to see if they had a Arsenal SGL-21 in stock. I was told they that they had recieved a phone call this morning informing them that due to executive action, the import of Semi auto's with detachable mags were banned yesterday.

Found this posted 3 hours ago. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=executive+action%5C&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEgQqQIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2F2013%2F0 8%2F29%2Fobama-executive-actions-guns_n_3836183.html&ei=pJ8fUvqxLsG0igLVnYHYDQ&usg=AFQjCNHEWPN9gB83hns-LiD81G1iX0bB7w&bvm=bv.51495398,d.cGE

Did I miss something?

tpliquid1
08-29-2013, 11:28 AM
EO was announced today i thuogt???

nastyhabts26
08-29-2013, 11:47 AM
We are truly a vessel without a captain.

SonofWWIIDI
08-29-2013, 11:54 AM
A president should not be allowed to cut and paste laws already on books. That would be like an Executive Order to change the national speed limit because of a tragic school bus accident on an interstate and is just not how our system is supposed to work.

It's time to go back and get a president's the governments power in check.

FIFY

FXR
08-29-2013, 12:26 PM

There's not a single known example of a military surplus rifle of any type being used in a violent crime. In fact, rifles of all types, including modern so-called assault weapons, are responsible for a paltry 3 percent of all gun crime. So this effort targets ONLY collectors who represent ZERO threat to public safety. This is yet another stick in the eye of law-abiding folks that cannot possibly be related to public safety.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Kennedy_assassination_rifle

JDay
08-29-2013, 12:50 PM
And I still want to know where all these mythical "felons" who bother to set up legal trusts live.

Obama 's head.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

MichaelKent
08-29-2013, 1:00 PM
I work for a UK company (we do a lot of world war 2 military paraphernalia stuff) and was talking to my boss about M1 Garands, and he said our company had "tons" of stockpiled world war 2 weapons in crates in a location in Germany. Most are reportedly in great condition.

I suggested we should look into the laws and try to import some into the US for sale, since there's a major collectors market out here for those weapons. He thinks we even have an assortment of Thompson submachine guns (which are worth like $25-45,000?), and it would really help us out put those up for auction or whatever... Hell, I'd just love to get one of the Garands.

Looks like now that's not going even going to be possible... Damnit. :(

Czechsix
08-29-2013, 1:32 PM
Even though this targets the trusts/corporations, and re-importation of ex-DOD firearms, just wait for the next EO to come through, when they figure out about foreign surplus.

Plus of course, running a foreign ammo ban.

Just a matter of time.

mosinnagantm9130
08-29-2013, 1:34 PM
This isn't a shot at the CMP. The CMP gets it's rifles from the U.S. military...when other countries return their rifles to the US, they go through the Army first, who then offers them to the CMP. The CMP has previously stated they would not take any of the SK rifles as they are reported to be in poor shape.

This would stop a private company from buying the SK M1s and importing them.

RMP91
08-29-2013, 2:13 PM
Is there any legal way to challenge Executive Orders?

At the rate we're going, practically *all* imports are going to be banned...

No more genuine, authentic WWII firearms and parts/magazine kits used by foreign armies...

If the collectors and C&R'ists didn't think that they would be targeted, this is their wake-up call. We're all in this together!

pastureofmuppets
08-29-2013, 2:14 PM
Q. Why is it so hard for people to understand gangs = violence?

A. Because a politician can't grandstand on a part of their job they have failed to address from day one.

PhillyGunner
08-29-2013, 2:19 PM
There's gotta be more to this ban! I guess we'll find out a few years from now.

What a silly executive order. Can't pass anything of consequence (thank god) on gun control so he is just doing a little point sparring.

I'm no international business law lawyer... but I believe that the Congress would need to pass any law that deals with imports of items produced by foreign manufacturers. These "re-imports" were probably manufactured here, for the U.S. of A., and I'm sure the Attorney General has suggested to the President that, as such, they fall under his control.

As for points... according to the new CDC sponsored report "Between 1986 and 2010, the domestic production of firearms has increased by 79 percent; firearm exports have increased by 11 percent; and firearm imports have increased by 305 percent (ATF, 2012)..." (IOM & NRC, 2013)

I guess the President gets some points from the U.N. for 'taking action' to reduce that large importation number. Of course, how many of those 'imports' are W.W.II era Garands... and how many are brand new, Austrian Glocks?

smirnus3000
08-29-2013, 2:23 PM
Im confused, did this go in effect today or is it just a proposal? And taking a shot at nfa trusts wtf is up with that. Who is going to take the time and spend $ to set that up just so they can go do something evil with a nfa item?

gwgn02
08-29-2013, 2:28 PM
Maybe this will wake up a whole bunch of shooters not aware of this tyrant Obama gun grabs.

durandal
08-29-2013, 3:36 PM
Hit this petition https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/retract-executive-order-against-re-importation-us-military-firearms/Gw1Pc64d

Ford8N
08-29-2013, 4:28 PM
Q. Why is it so hard for people to understand gangs = violence?

A. Because a politician can't grandstand on a part of their job they have failed to address from day one......also they are deathly afraid of being called Racist.
fixed.
:hide:

RMP91
08-29-2013, 5:18 PM
Hit this petition https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/retract-executive-order-against-re-importation-us-military-firearms/Gw1Pc64d

Signed

CessnaDriver
08-29-2013, 5:24 PM
Maybe this will wake up a whole bunch of shooters not aware of this tyrant Obama gun grabs.

Or some of the fools on this forum that claimed Obama wasn't going to go after our guns.

CessnaDriver
08-29-2013, 5:31 PM

Done. Love to hear them try to justify it logically.

2nd Mass
08-29-2013, 11:57 PM
the mosin, the sks, mausers....etc... have all been put on point..

this blows....

my question is can he really with a stroke of a pen do this?? Or does he have to go to congress again?

Includes Garands. Thank you to all those on calguns that pushed me to jump on CMP!

The types of surplus weapons that have been re-imported under this provision are all more than 50 years old, and fall under the definition of "curio" or "relic" firearms. They include M1 Garand rifles and several other models -- a list can be found here. As such, it is safe to assume that few are used in crimes.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/29/obama-announces-new-gun-control-measures-targets-military-surplus-imports/#ixzz2dR8bp6xe

There had been rumors about this coming for awhile. He truly showed his intentions by doing this during the Syrian media blitz. This seriously needs to stop. People need to wake up!!!
"Sooner or later, we are going to get this right," Obama said that day in the White House Rose Garden, with the families of Newtown victims and former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords -- herself a victim of a gunman -- at his side. "The memories of these children demand it, and so do the American people," the president said at the time.

Only need 100,000 signatures nationally by Sept 28th to retract!!! We can do this!

bohoki
08-30-2013, 12:20 AM
so can a corporation buy a gun at big 5 how does the 4473 work with that?

also their proposals will have to completely rewrite corporate law as a corporation is an entity and someone else can become the owner/shareholder

i say they are just pissed that it avoids the "local" stumbling block

Ladyrr
08-30-2013, 12:28 AM
So the 1943 M1 Carbine I have here I should or should not sell now because of this? It was imported back to the US on the shoulder of the army soldier it was issued to back in 1943.

johnthomas
08-30-2013, 12:54 AM
He is worse than a has been, he is a never was.

Plum1
08-30-2013, 2:40 AM
At the time of this posting only 925 signatures on that petition.....that's pathetic, I hope the rest of you can get off your duffs and sign it. It probably won't change anything, but we need to at least try!

Napalm Bulldog
08-30-2013, 3:21 AM
Done, I just signed it! Thank you for posting.

Packy14
08-30-2013, 8:24 AM
what a loser.

Packy14
08-30-2013, 8:25 AM
Includes Garands. Thank you to all those on calguns that pushed me to jump on CMP!

There had been rumors about this coming for awhile. He truly showed his intentions by doing this during the Syrian media blitz. This seriously needs to stop. People need to wake up!!!

Only need 100,000 signatures nationally by Sept 28th to retract!!! We can do this!

signed.

durandal
08-30-2013, 9:02 AM
Only need 100,000 signatures nationally by Sept 28th to retract!!! We can do this![/QUOTE]

Please crosspost the petition if you want to see the number rise. only about 1,000 signatures since i signed it. :(

Plum1
08-30-2013, 1:04 PM
1982 now signed, I emailed all my peeps... have you?

mosinnagantm9130
08-30-2013, 1:37 PM
So the 1943 M1 Carbine I have here I should or should not sell now because of this? It was imported back to the US on the shoulder of the army soldier it was issued to back in 1943.

Keep it

2nd Mass
08-30-2013, 3:22 PM
Sacto929, Please edit your original post to include the petition to stop the executive order. This way people know we can still take action instead of giving up and accepting the order. Thank you.

Btw, the petition already has 2050 votes since yesterday. Keep up the momentum, spread the word to everyone you know in every state. We can hit 100,000 by Sept 28 easy if everyone pitches in. Let's nail this one!!!

EM2
08-30-2013, 5:49 PM

Do you guys seriously think obummer gives a rats *** how many people "sign" an on-line petition?
He is not required to abide by any petition and saying you need 100,000 signatures to retract is more than a bit misleading.

we would be better served to pressure our congressmen to step up and do their damn job.

.30-06
08-30-2013, 6:26 PM
Yes because mosin nagants are used all the time in drive-by shootings. Great idea banning them. These guns (mosins, sks, and mausers) serve one main purpose in this day and age. Hunting...you know, the guys who Obama said these laws were for. This president is a f***ing idiot.

durandal
08-30-2013, 6:28 PM
the number of signatures is not to retract. the petition that reaches that number will merit an official white house propaganda writer to write a dismissive response.

durandal
08-30-2013, 6:29 PM
NOT to discourage you to not sign the petition. sign the damn thing.

NotEnufGarage
08-30-2013, 10:17 PM
NOT to discourage you to not sign the petition. sign the damn thing.

I wonder how many of you petition signers take the time to vote EVERY SINGLE TIME?

Orlando
08-31-2013, 5:56 AM
This will not affect CMP as they do not import rifles.
Garands etc are returned to the US Army that were loaned to other countires. They are then turned over to CMP for sale. CMP is not a Importer

General
09-20-2013, 7:06 AM
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/retract-executive-order-against-re-importation-us-military-firearms/Gw1Pc64d

Sakiri
09-20-2013, 1:08 PM
Just remember, the only school shooting involving the M1 involved the National Guard shooting at college protesters in Ohio.