PDA

View Full Version : 1911 compensator

mr guns
01-07-2008, 8:28 PM
Hi folks,

where can I find a compensator like this? How much usually they cause and do i need a smith to install on my 1911's. I got two 1911 i want to put the compensator on, one is a springfield loaded and he is a kimber custom. thanks.

mr guns
01-08-2008, 8:40 PM
sorry I just realize it, I post on the wrong place, mod can you move this or should I repost again? thanks

slick_711
01-08-2008, 8:45 PM
Don't. & Why?

The need on a .45 is low, and the benefit is low as well. .45ACP is a relatively low pressure cartridge. You don't gain much by blowing low pressure gas out the top of your gun... you gain by blowing high pressure gas out the top of a race gun in .38 Super Comp, 9mm Maj, or .40S&W. The one in the picture there is likely .38 Super Comp, it's a race gun, and its purpose specific. It looks cool, I'll admit, but it won't look cool on your SA or your Kimber because neither of them are race guns and they're not designed for the purpose that one is.

Also, Saint J.M.B. will smite you.

Furthermore, you'd be limiting your holster choices.

ETA: Alright it's none of my business and they are your guns, so: That's an SV race gun, I don't know where they get their comps or if they're in house, I'm not a gamer; but I can give you some starting points. Look around at the parts on both SV & STI's websites, they both use such compensators on their race guns. Check EGW & Barsto as well.

It's not necessarily something that will require gunsmithing for the comp, but they will require aftermarket barrels for both your guns. The barrels with require gunsmithing if you want them properly fitted. Make sure they're permanently attached to the barrels or pinned on, threaded barrels on pistols in CA are a no-no.

mr guns
01-08-2008, 9:14 PM
thanks slick 711, I know that gun on pix is a race but thought it's something I could just ad and remove on my 1911's. I was actually going for threaded barrell since my friend in az got one until we went to one of the smith in his town and told me check with ca laws first when he said that I opted not to take anymore. I think I'll just leave them alone for now. Thanks

slick_711
01-08-2008, 9:53 PM
You do have a simple add & remove option without worrying about your barrel. Like I said before I'm not a fan of them as I'm very much a traditionalist with my 1911s, but you may as well know what's out there. This is another one of those things I can't give you product details on though (don't use 'em).

I have seen various bushing replacements that had built in compensators. They would install by you simply fieldstripping your gun and using them in place of your bushing when you put it back together. However, they may need minor handfitting to function reliably, and as I mentioned, with .45 they aren't really all that needed. They'd give you the look you want though, and should be fairly inexpensive and something that can be done without gunsmithing experience.

For example, Wilson Compensator (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=683924&t=11082005). That one's ~$80 though and would likely require you use a Wilson guide rod (another $30). There are other similar products out there, I've seen cheap parkerized ones at gun shows.

uscbigdawg
01-09-2008, 2:28 AM
First, why would you want one on a single stack? Just curious really.

Second, 711 is spot on with it on a 45. Generally a low pressure round and with reduced gas volume you get very little return on the effectiveness of a compensator. Low bullet weight and high velocity (which increased gas volume = gas pressure) is your friend. Compensators work on the Venturi jet principle so the more "boom" the more your muzzle stays stable.

I (almost exclusively) shoot IPSC Open division. My 38 Super Open gun is second to none in performance but it does take some tweaking. If you did want it still on a single stack for plinkin' you'll get better results from a factory built SS in say 9mm or 38 Super and at that, with handloads.

Basically, figure out why you want it and then go from there.

Rich

P.S. The pictured gun looks like an airsoft and not a "real" open gun.

Sumo99
01-09-2008, 8:05 AM
My buddy has a comp on his Colt (not sure what brand), and it does help reduce muzzle flip a little, but not much. It might just be the extra weight up front. The break just replaces the barrel bushing. On the Colt it was a drop-in and no fitting was required, but when I tried to put it on my Kimber, it wouldn't fit.

joel1316
01-09-2008, 11:35 AM
If I'm not mistaken, threaded pistol barrels are a no-no in CA. The compensator has to be permantently installed on the barrel to be legit....

uscbigdawg
01-09-2008, 6:52 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/uscbigdawg/ee233078.jpg

Here's mine. Muzzle energy coming out of this with 115gr. CMJ's is equal to a 357 magnum. Dot tracks straight up and down and the muzzle only climbs about 1/4-1/2".

Rich

mr guns
01-09-2008, 8:41 PM
thanks for your reply, I did tried a 1911 (colt) from my wife's causin and to me it my alot of difference compare to mine. but it's no the compensator like the one in th pix. I just thougt does things look cool that's why I wanted one.

p.s. rich that is bad @$$ gun you have, hope you make it home soon.

Fjold
01-10-2008, 6:11 AM
I have shot single stacks for years both comped and uncomped and even in 45 ACP loaded to just make major power factor, the difference in recoil is noticeable.

A good comp works.

Franksremote
01-10-2008, 8:25 AM
Limcat