PDA

View Full Version : NY SAFE act update?

Calplinker
08-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Been looking around and don't see any updates on the lawsuit(s) against New York's SAFE act, particularly the efforts at an injunction.

Last I heard, one of the suits asking for an injunciton was denied by a judge, but I believe there are others still in the works.

I checked at Firing Line and there have been no updates in some time. Any hope for them on this or are they resigned to their fate of no more AR's, etc.?

pc_load_letter
08-29-2013, 11:23 AM
You might have better luck with new info over at the New York section under "Hometown" at ar 15 dot com.

cress
08-30-2013, 3:27 PM
The lawsuit from the NYSRPA (New York State Rifle and Pistol Association v. Andrew Cuomo) is scheduled to be in court 9/12. Here is a link to NYF covering some of the latest developments:
http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/60146-nysrpa-legal-update-8-28-a.html
Nyshooter1 is an attorney and gives his professional opinion on the case.
This is a link to the NYSRPA regarding the lawsuit
http://www.nysrpa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=860&Itemid=215
It looks like the latest set of documents submitted by the state are best described as sub par, so this is good.

I do not know the status of the lawsuits from the Tresmond law firm, there are two of them for which I do not remember their names. All I know is that Nyshooter1 (from NYF) is an attorney working with the Tresmond law firm and he is confident in the cases.

As for an injunction there isn't one and it isn't clear if there will be one, we will either win or lose in court.

Calplinker
09-01-2013, 9:09 AM
Cress,

Thanks for the update and links. Very glad to hear there is still some activity and crossing my fingers you all prevail in court.

It looks like we here in CA will be right behind you at the courthouse steps for very similar laws which will likely pass here later this year.

cress
09-06-2013, 3:42 AM
Another link to NYF, this gives a brief overview of the main cases going on in NY right now.

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/55489-lawsuit-information-quick-view-updated-8-7-a.html

Bustercat
10-14-2013, 8:06 PM
here's another one, point by point QA from a lawyer actively fighting the Safe Act. Lots of takeaways here.

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/46785-tresmond-lawsuit-information-use-thread.html

rero360
10-14-2013, 8:14 PM
I know my cousin is a Sheriffs deputy in Western NY, the Sheriff told them all if any of them try enforcing that law that they would be fired. My cousin said he and pretty much all the other deputies wouldn't have enforced the law regardless. From what I've been hearing, that's pretty much the norm across much of the state, maybe Monroe County and down state being the exception.

cress
10-15-2013, 4:19 PM
here's another one, point by point QA from a lawyer actively fighting the Safe Act. Lots of takeaways here.

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/46785-tresmond-lawsuit-information-use-thread.html

Yes, lots of good information. MaximillianTresmond holds some position at Tresmond Law (not an attorney, I can't remember what it is). Shooter is an attorney working with Tresmond Law.

Dywinski trial is set for Jan 16. This lawsuit covers AW registration and magazine ban. Unfortunately this comes after the mandatory A̶W̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶i̶s̶t̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ magazine discard. The legal team is seeking an injunction for this so people are not forced to r̶e̶g̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ discard their preban mags while waiting for the trial.

Edit - AW registration does not go effect until April 15 2014

Bustercat
10-15-2013, 4:28 PM
Yes, lots of good information. MaximillianTresmond holds some position at Tresmond Law (not an attorney, I can't remember what it is). Shooter is an attorney working with Tresmond Law.

Dywinski trial is set for Jan 16. This lawsuit covers AW registration and magazine ban. Unfortunately this comes after the mandatory AW registration and magazine discard. The legal team is seeking an injunction for this so people are not forced to register and discard their preban mags while waiting for the trial.

As I understand it, the AW reg starts on 4/16, so no need for injunction for that. The magban starts the day before the trial(!) however.

Bustercat
10-15-2013, 4:30 PM
I know my cousin is a Sheriffs deputy in Western NY, the Sheriff told them all if any of them try enforcing that law that they would be fired. My cousin said he and pretty much all the other deputies wouldn't have enforced the law regardless. From what I've been hearing, that's pretty much the norm across much of the state, maybe Monroe County and down state being the exception.

Proud the Sherriff in my area (Ulster) has refused to enforce as well. I still have some of collection in storage back there, so am trying to follow the whole thing pretty closely.

cress
10-15-2013, 5:14 PM
As I understand it, the AW reg starts on 4/16, so no need for injunction for that. The magban starts the day before the trial(!) however.

Yes, I got that mixed up. I edited my post, but it looks like its 4/15, and not 4/16, not that it really matters right now.

Ammo purchase background checks also go into place Jan 15.