PDA

View Full Version : Value of my Mosin

shda5582
08-27-2013, 8:58 PM
So I just picked up a MN at Big 5 two days ago, and, due to they fact it was gunked with cosmoline, I didn't bother to do much of an exam on it. Anyways, while on the 10 day wait, I was doing research about the Mosin, and came across information regarding what makes them more valuable as a collection piece. So once I got the cosmoline off and the rifle reassembled, I started to really look at the rifle and found the following:

-M91/30, 1943r, Izhevsk stamp.
-All the serial numbers match on all pieces. 5665 if that means anything.
-Round receiver.
-The barrel has not been recrowned or counterbored (probably not good if I ever intend to shoot it).
-The whole rifle, wood and all are in very good shape, with the wood still remaining most of the original shellac finish. It looks like it was hardly ever fired, but I know this is not the case when I was doing a barrel clean, I got green coming out on the patches.

So due to all of the above, would this jump up the value of the gun as a collection piece? If so, perhaps an estimation could be made of how much?

mofojoe
08-27-2013, 9:01 PM
I'll give you $150 for it cash.
It's just a run of the mill Mosin.
Hang on to it and enjoy.

plumbum
08-27-2013, 9:10 PM
It's worth what you paid for it. Care for it properly and it will serve you for many many years. It can be uncommon to find them all matching and non-counterbored and in good clean shape.

It's real value is when you realize how cheap it is to shoot when compared to other centerfire rifles of similar power. Consider that the cheapest new rifle at Big 5 is the Savage Axis for about $350, and .308 ammo is usually about $1 per bang. Even Big 5 has 7.62x54r ammo for $0.75 per shot, and can be had for less than a quarter per round if you shop online.

DennisCA
08-27-2013, 9:51 PM
shda5582 before you do any thing, check out this site:
http://62x54r.net/

Also check out youtube or calguns for cleaning como, it's not as hard as you think (it just takes a bit of time and effort). Once you clean it, take it out and shoot it! Once you do that - you may want to keep it. I started my C&R journey with a Big 5 Mosin (and it was a 1943 Izhevsk too - must have been a good year). Is it a tack-driver, prob not but it's a damn fun gun to shoot!

leman77
08-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Take it out and shoot it. One day soon the stores of them will be all dried up and you won't be able to find them anymore. I've got 3 of them...for the price they are cheap and fun.

Emdawg
08-27-2013, 10:16 PM
So I just picked up a MN at Big 5 two days ago, and, due to they fact it was gunked with cosmoline, I didn't bother to do much of an exam on it. Anyways, while on the 10 day wait, I was doing research about the Mosin, and came across information regarding what makes them more valuable as a collection piece. So once I got the cosmoline off and the rifle reassembled, I started to really look at the rifle and found the following:

-M91/30, 1943r, Izhevsk stamp.
-All the serial numbers match on all pieces. 5665 if that means anything.
-Round receiver.
-The barrel has not been recrowned or counterbored (probably not good if I ever intend to shoot it).
-The whole rifle, wood and all are in very good shape, with the wood still remaining most of the original shellac finish. It looks like it was hardly ever fired, but I know this is not the case when I was doing a barrel clean, I got green coming out on the patches.

So due to all of the above, would this jump up the value of the gun as a collection piece? If so, perhaps an estimation could be made of how much?

In all honesty, yours is probably one of the most mass-produced of all the Mosins.

It is just your average commie bolt-action from the Great Patriotic War.

Take it out to the range and have fun.

Chaos47
08-27-2013, 10:19 PM
In all honesty, yours is probably one of the most mass-produced of all the Mosins.

Pretty much this.
Without looking up the numbers I think Izhevsk 43 is probably one of the highest production years.

Remus
08-27-2013, 10:34 PM
Unless there is another movie/book that pushes a sudden interest in the Soviet story of WW2 I wouldn't exepect the value of the gun to go up (quickly). Be happy with it, shoot it. Though don't touch it, not even to fix a blemish, with sand paper etc. if you want to preserve the collectors value. In regards to the matching parts, that was likely performed when the gun was refurbished at the arsenal, see link below.

I personally would not purchase a Mosin with a counterbored barrel. Learned that lesson.

http://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/information/refurbishment/index.html

Nrai2020
08-28-2013, 12:40 AM
I saw a mosin at big 5 today for $175.. Worth it??

Gutz
08-28-2013, 12:42 AM
I saw a mosin at big 5 today for $175.. Worth it??

Not terrible considering I've seen people pay 400 bucks for one.

I'd wait though... Find one on here.

Yugo
08-28-2013, 12:46 AM
no, buy from someone selling it. $150 TOPS thats if it's nice condition.

Swagman00
08-28-2013, 7:12 AM
Got mine for $100, regretted not waiting to get it on sale @ $90 over two years back.

Since then the stock came off (went synthetic), removed rear + front sight for 2-7x40 scout scope, swapped out to a ring safety, and added a limbsaver recoil pad.

The Mosin is a hoot. I stil use a thick towel when shooting warm loads so I can actually enjoy the thing for more then an hour when I go to the range. I still remember the first day out. No recoil pad and 40 rounds left a nice softball sized purple bruise.

I should have taken pictures. :D

Manh3
08-28-2013, 7:39 AM
It's actually worth less than what you paid for it because you had to pay the dros and taxes and you wont be able to repoup that. Don't worry so much about having a collectors gun, keeping it a safe queen just for resell sake. Buy a gun because YOU want it and learn how the weapon system works, be proficient with it and enjoy.

I just gave my little brother a Mosin, in return all I asked him was to learn about the gun, its safety function, how to clean and maintain it. I hope he doesn't come on here trying to sell it in the classifieds.

Bobby Ricigliano
08-28-2013, 7:39 AM
I'd say if it is in nice shape and matching it could fetch as much as $200. Yes, wartime production Izzy's are common, but a lot of them are mix masters, counterbored, pitted, shot out, bubba'd. Keep it in original condition, shoot it, clean it good and it will last a lifetime and be an heirloom. I love Mosins.

Capybara
08-28-2013, 7:43 AM
Welcome to the Mosin Brotherhood. We dare you to stop at just one. As addictive as potato chips, but less fattening.

6mmintl
08-28-2013, 7:52 AM
Its a rare ONE of 64 million.

Bobby Ricigliano
08-28-2013, 7:54 AM
Welcome to the Mosin Brotherhood. We dare you stop at just one. As addictive as potato chips, but less fattening.

I've bought and sold several but I am down to a 'core' of Mosins that I am particularly fond of and will not be sold. I'd still like to add a Tula in there one of these days.

1937 Izzy
1940 Izzy
1943 Izzy
M44 (2)
M38

serjm1a1
08-28-2013, 7:55 AM
Unless there is another movie/book that pushes a sudden interest in the Soviet story of WW2 I wouldn't exepect the value of the gun to go up (quickly). Be happy with it, shoot it. Though don't touch it, not even to fix a blemish, with sand paper etc. if you want to preserve the collectors value. In regards to the matching parts, that was likely performed when the gun was refurbished at the arsenal, see link below.

I personally would not purchase a Mosin with a counterbored barrel. Learned that lesson.

Nice read, enjoyed that.

Bobby Ricigliano
08-28-2013, 8:09 AM

Yep, good read. The only 'modification' I have made to any of my MN's has been the addition of a rubber recoil pad. Of course the factory buttplate is set aside for safe keeping and this is easily reversible.

shda5582
08-28-2013, 8:50 AM
First, a thanks to everyone here for the great replies. :)

I honestly hadn't bought the Mosin as a collection item, it was intended as a sport shooter, and something to have my stepkids start learning proper rifle/gun handling as well as some range fun. Once I started reading into it and learning all of the stuff that made it collectable did I even think of checking the value of it.

To reply to Remus: I checked the site, and it says that (mostly) they ground down or crossed out the serial numbers on the parts. I can say for almost certain as I'm at work that that is not the case. I will, however, be checking when I get home.

Hopefully if I can find some ammo by this weekend and a place to shoot, I'll be breaking her in in her new life as my first rifle.

CSACANNONEER
08-28-2013, 8:56 AM
I won't pay more than $50 for it and, that's only if I was really drunk. After owning 4 of them, I've given up on Mosins. There are far better C&R shooters out there for not much more than Mosins are going for.

serjm1a1
08-28-2013, 9:19 AM
I won't pay more than $50 for it and, that's only if I was really drunk. After owning 4 of them, I've given up on Mosins. There are far better C&R shooters out there for not much more than Mosins are going for.

What issues did you have with your 4?

Bobby Ricigliano
08-28-2013, 9:22 AM
I admit that Mosin interest waned slightly when I got into Mausers, which are much more refined and more fun to shoot and seem to be more accurate. However, the fact that many collectors dismiss the Mosin is a good thing as it leaves more rifles for the rest of us.

Yugo
08-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Don't listen to CSA he is spoiled. :p

Nrai2020
08-28-2013, 1:05 PM
When people say matching numbers... where do you check to see if the numbers match? THey have a MN at the big 5 nearby and I was thinking about getting one this weekend?

0351USMC
08-28-2013, 1:11 PM
When people say matching numbers... where do you check to see if the numbers match? THey have a MN at the big 5 nearby and I was thinking about getting one this weekend?

Bolt,stock,buttstock plate,magazine floor plate and bayonet (probably will not match)

CSACANNONEER
08-28-2013, 1:19 PM
What issues did you have with your 4?

The issues where with ME. I just couldn't shoot them worth a damn. I found my self flinching by the time I reached the 38th stage of the trigger. That's OK, I have plenty of other rifles that shoot better than I was ever able to shoot a Mosin. Mausers, K31s, Carcanos, Arisakas. etc. I'll never miss the Mosins I sold.

Mr. Gillious
08-28-2013, 1:34 PM
It's worth about $150. It's nothing special. I actually have the same exact one....2 of them to be exact.

serjm1a1
08-28-2013, 1:42 PM
The issues where with ME. I just couldn't shoot them worth a damn. I found my self flinching by the time I reached the 38th stage of the trigger. That's OK, I have plenty of other rifles that shoot better than I was ever able to shoot a Mosin. Mausers, K31s, Carcanos, Arisakas. etc. I'll never miss the Mosins I sold.

I feel ya, sometimes you just don't jive with somethings...

0351USMC
08-28-2013, 1:46 PM
It's worth about $150. It's nothing special. I actually have the same exact one....2 of them to be exact.

Probably worth $5 more,if your bayonet has matching number:D

08-28-2013, 1:47 PM
I bought one 2 weeks ago for $120 cash

Wee Gussie
08-28-2013, 9:09 PM

+1
Be ready to lose a collarbone unless you're a big, fat fella like me and then the rifle just nudges you back on recoil

w55
08-28-2013, 9:21 PM
Matching numbers are nice. If prices continue as they have over last 5 years it will rise in value.

Tuck it in tight and recoil really isn't bad imho

Edvil91
08-28-2013, 9:27 PM
Bolt,stock,buttstock plate,magazine floor plate and bayonet (probably will not match)

They have number matched stocks???

I thought it was receiver, bolt, floorplate, and buttplate for the run of the mill mosins...Some had cocking knobs numbered and some had nothing on the floor plate.

Oh and to the OP, a counterbore is not a bad thing when finding a shooter, in fact it makes the rifle accurate compared to a uncounterbored shot out barrel. It just hurts collector value.

0351USMC
08-28-2013, 9:41 PM
They have number matched stocks???

I thought it was receiver, bolt, floorplate, and buttplate for the run of the mill mosins...Some had cocking knobs numbered and some had nothing on the floor plate.

Oh and to the OP, a counterbore is not a bad thing when finding a shooter, in fact it makes the rifle accurate compared to a uncounterbored shot out barrel. It just hurts collector value.
my mistake,no number on mosin stock.( I got confused with SKS stock)

Checkk
08-28-2013, 11:35 PM
Don't worry, worst case scenario they will be worth what you bought it for or appreciate in value once supplies dry up or new laws pass making more difficult to buy firearms in California. I bought mine last year for $89, got lucky and got a hexed receiver. Now its doubled in value.

BruinGuy
08-29-2013, 4:11 PM
Its a rare ONE of 64 million.

That means there is fewer than 1 Mosin per every 100 people on Earth! :eek:

I'm going to get a few more - demand is bound to go up!

6mmintl
09-06-2013, 3:41 PM
If the bore/muzzle are good (sharp rifling) then put a PU scope/mount on it and shoot out to 800 yards.

mosinnagantm9130
09-06-2013, 6:49 PM

A CB really doesn't concern me at all. Especially on a rare rifle, if the rifle is rare the bore condition isn't anywhere near as important as it is on a shooter.

shda5582
09-07-2013, 8:22 PM
Should have posted this last weekend....got back from the range and it seems to have shot rather well. I was only shooting from the shoulder and not on a rest, so I don't know how well the accuracy is on it yet, but I intend to go back after I get a gun rest and a scope to really test it out :)

Hopefully I won't be needing a CB to bring the gun up to spec....but if I did, is there anyone out there that anyone would recommend for doing quality work?

Capybara
09-07-2013, 9:09 PM
It would have already been counterbored at the arsenal if it needed it. If it's not counterbored, just shoot it and enjoy it, you don't need to counterbore it unless it can't hit the side of a barn or is keyholing.

Fate
09-09-2013, 7:24 AM
To reply to Remus: I checked the site, and it says that (mostly) they ground down or crossed out the serial numbers on the parts. I can say for almost certain as I'm at work that that is not the case.

Besides grinding and lining out numbers, they also had piles and piles of factory blank parts that were later numbered to match during the 70s Ukranian refurb. Actually the blanks were used first, IIRC and the lineouts/grindouts later.

If your rifle looks pristine and has the slashed box refurb stamp, Most of the parts (especially those without prefix letters) are not original to the rifle.

mosinnagantm9130
09-09-2013, 6:24 PM
If your rifle looks pristine and has the slashed box refurb stamp, Most of the parts (especially those without prefix letters) are not original to the rifle.

:yes:

Case in point, I've got a refurb 43 M44 that is completely stamped matching, including prefixes. But it isn't original matching, it was done when it was refurbed.