PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Storage Question

50 Freak
01-07-2008, 2:56 PM
Sitting down one day, I did a mental note on just how much ammo I have….After resting from the initial headache from having to use my brain. I realized that “HOLY CRAP!!!!” I’ve got a boat load of ammo. I’m easily in the 5 figures with the first figure being in the 3-5 range. It then dawned on me….”Hey!!! maybe I shouldn’t store all my ammo cans next to the furnace”… I sat down and then promptly had a mild stroke as I thought of my ammo blowing up and taking my entire neighborhood with it.

So I’ve decided to move my “stash” to an outside location in case my house ever catches on fire. Because if that ever happens, I honestly think they will have to evacuate half of San Fran while my ammo burns, drag me off to Guantanamo and my neighbors will sue me so much even my grandkids will need lawyers.

So the question now is….How do I safely store my ammo outside in a secure place (secure as in weather proof, and two legged critter proof?). I was thinking of building a little brick enclosure outside and storing the ammo inside…Suggestions anyone…

Mac
01-07-2008, 3:39 PM

BillCA
01-07-2008, 4:00 PM
No real need to worry about it being close to a furnance unless your ammo cans get too hot to pick up.

If you're storing ammo in surplus military cans, it'll take a lot of heat to get the ammo to start popping. At that point, they'll just dent the can from the inside. If you want to store them in a garage, stack them along a wall and use a tarp to cover them from prying eyes.

My stash in the garage is probably only a little smaller than yours.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/BillCA/Hobby/misc/Ammodump.jpg

USN CHIEF
01-07-2008, 4:06 PM
I am just envious looking at all that ammo!!!!!!!!!!

50 Freak
01-07-2008, 4:30 PM
Mine is like that....It's actually about 6 feet away from the furnace and all are in ammo cans (AND LABELED TOO)

Mac
01-07-2008, 4:31 PM

mblat
01-07-2008, 5:46 PM
Now I know why ammo prices go up :D