PDA

View Full Version : New Ruger Gunsite Scout

SpunkyJivl
08-27-2013, 1:11 PM
Just bailed out of jail on Sunday. Love this thing! Super smooth action with awesome looks. Now, off to find some mags that dont cost an arm and a leg.

ExtremeX
08-27-2013, 1:26 PM
I know you are excited... but

:useless:

dfletcher
08-27-2013, 2:05 PM
Brownells sells the Ruger factory poly mags for about $29.00. The poly mags are much better than the metal - shorter, better fit. I just picked up the XS full length rail, makes switching from "Scout scope" to regular scope a bit easier. The PWS brake works great on the rifle, virtually no "off target" time when shooting.

axhoaxho
08-27-2013, 3:13 PM
I like my Gunsite Scout as well... And ditto on the Ruger polymer magazines, get some... And get some ammos... And shoot it a lot. Enjoy!

Gaspasser100
08-27-2013, 4:12 PM
Looks like a great gun! This shouldnt be affected by any impending legislation except for the long gun registration?

SpunkyJivl
08-29-2013, 9:50 AM
Looks like a great gun! This shouldnt be affected by any impending legislation except for the long gun registration?

Thats why I bought now. The registeration scheme takes effect on Jan 2014 on new purchases only.

SpunkyJivl
08-30-2013, 1:25 PM
I know you are excited... but

:useless:

Ok, here ya go. Just froglubed up!

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o84/willfortney/photo_zps54ad6f01.jpg (http://s118.photobucket.com/user/willfortney/media/photo_zps54ad6f01.jpg.html)

rico717
08-30-2013, 9:44 PM
I bought this thinking I would by a scout and never did. I have some new ammo . Let me see what I have and get back to you. Are you need the bay area?

Enjoy the rifle,

Rico

Nrai2020
08-31-2013, 2:26 AM
I want one of these so bad!!! I handeled one yesterday and have been in love ever since...But wouldnt the new legislation still affect these because of the detachable mag?

Hot Holster
08-31-2013, 3:09 AM
My hunting partner has one and it is dead on accurate. He just received his suppressor stamp and put a YHM Phantom Ti on it. We use an old metal sign to attach our targets, and while shooting it the other day for the first time, the "ping" from the metal at 75 yards, was louder than the shot, and no ear protection needed.

He went hunting yesterday and sent this photo overlooking the feeder he hunts. I was supposed to go but I'm lying here on a couch propped up with pillows because of a lower back problem that came up Thursday.

BHPFan
08-31-2013, 4:27 AM
I want one of these so bad!!! I handeled one yesterday and have been in love ever since...But wouldnt the new legislation still affect these because of the detachable mag?

Looks like that particular bill (SB 374) has been amended for centerfire caliber semi-automatics (with detachable mags and tubular mags over 10rds):

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140SB374

However, given how asinine our legislature is, who's to know if they will categorize detachable mag rimfires (Ruger 10/22 for instance) and bolt actions (Ruger Gunsite Scout) as AW in future years.

For further discussions on this topic, please go to the 2A forums as not to hijack this thread.

In regards to the subject at hand, I got my own Ruger Gunsite Scout on 10 day jail at the moment (it looks the same as the one in the pic as it's the non-Stainless Steel model). It is something I've looking for:
A handy .308 bolt action rifle with iron sights. Other bolt actions I like are either varminter or snipers, both of which costs too much and requires to put more $$$$ for glass. I was looking at 7.62mm Mausers and FR8's, but these C&R surplus rifles can only shoot 7.62NATO as .308 has too much pressure for them.

SpunkyJivl
08-31-2013, 9:45 AM
I'm really liking the concept of the Scout rifle, I think Ruger hit a home run with their interpretation. The action is butter smooth and the thing looks amazing. The forward mounted scope looks a little odd, but that is the nature of the scout design. I plan on installing a bipod, sling, and maybe a 2x fixed power long eye relief scope to keep it true to the scout pedigree.

Gem1950
08-31-2013, 9:56 AM
Just bailed out of jail on Sunday. Love this thing! Super smooth action with awesome looks. Now, off to find some mags that dont cost an arm and a leg.

In stock and good prices...unless you're into the whole gotta hate CTD thing.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ProductListing.aspx?catid=17601

Or, if you want to go straight to the head of the class - http://www.alphaindmfg.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

SpunkyJivl
08-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Im not a CTD bandwagon hater. They are a great source for ammo and accessories.

Thanks for the links.

Nrai2020
08-31-2013, 10:53 AM
My hunting partner has one and it is dead on accurate. He just received his suppressor stamp and put a YHM Phantom Ti on it. We use an old metal sign to attach our targets, and while shooting it the other day for the first time, the "ping" from the metal at 75 yards, was louder than the shot, and no ear protection needed.

He went hunting yesterday and sent this photo overlooking the feeder he hunts. I was supposed to go but I'm lying here on a couch propped up with pillows because of a lower back problem that came up Thursday.

At such a close range to the feeder your friend should use a Semi? He could take out a few pigs? with a bolt gun 1 is it?

G21Shooter
08-31-2013, 12:38 PM

Do you have your head in the sand? Get over to the 2nd A forum and check out what is going on!

EddieEd
09-01-2013, 8:50 AM
Just put one of these in jail yesterday, brandnew in the box. Its cool that it comes with rings and stuff in the box.
Can't wait to test the GSR out.

-hanko
09-01-2013, 9:07 AM
:sleeping::rolleyes:
Yeah, that's really the true spirit of "hunting". More like getting an animal used to a feeding place, and then blasting him at breakfast or dinner.

-hanko

Nrai2020
09-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Yeah, that's really the true spirit of "hunting". More like getting an animal used to a feeding place, and then blasting him at breakfast or dinner.

-hanko

Hogs are considered varmint..

Hot Holster
09-01-2013, 11:33 AM
At such a close range to the feeder your friend should use a Semi? He could take out a few pigs? with a bolt gun 1 is it?

His rule on the lease is one pig, per person, per hunt. Although the intention of the land owner is to get rid of as many hogs as possible, my friend wants to keep the population up so we have a place to hunt and to be reasonably sure of taking one or two periodically. Our take over the past year was 27 hogs in 42 trips to the lease. Most were done from stands but I think we did about 10 early morning stalks.

Hot Holster
09-01-2013, 11:47 AM

-hanko

Only if they show up, which is not guaranteed. And there have been times when hogs are spotted away from feeders where we stalk them on foot.

23 Blast
09-02-2013, 4:49 PM
The pending legislation has got me thinking harder about this rifle.

Posters here are raving about the smooth action. Has Ruger done something different to these? When they first came out, apparently the bolt was one of those things that was less-than-stellar about them.

Nrai2020
09-03-2013, 8:21 AM
The pending legislation has got me thinking harder about this rifle.

Posters here are raving about the smooth action. Has Ruger done something different to these? When they first came out, apparently the bolt was one of those things that was less-than-stellar about them.

I ve handeled a few of them and their bolts were all really smooth

Wildhawk66
09-03-2013, 12:31 PM
I have the 18" matte model and love mine. Spent a bit of time watching tv and working the bolt and it seemed to smooth out nicely. Also installed a Timney trigger and XS rail system and couldn't be happier with it. Now for a sling, PWS brake, and a case of ammo...

CRQuarto
09-04-2013, 7:36 PM
The bolt on mine has smoothed out after many times of racking it over and over while watching the tube. I love this rifle.

X-NewYawker
09-04-2013, 7:53 PM
Thats why I bought now. The registeration scheme takes effect on Jan 2014 on new purchases only.

Okay. I;ve heard that one of the pending bills will require the registration of our previsouly owned bolt guns if they take detachable magazines -- anyone else heard this --

BTW just got my SECOND Scout, a stainless left handed one for my lefty (not politically) wife. Waiting on Surefire MB762-211 which TOTALLY tames recoil and looks slick as well.

PS -- my wife modified an XS rail so it was beveled on the correct side for left hand ejection -- good wife!

BHPFan
09-09-2013, 5:18 AM
Okay. I;ve heard that one of the pending bills will require the registration of our previsouly owned bolt guns if they take detachable magazines -- anyone else heard this --

Please read this if you haven't or just go to the 2A forums to post questions:
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140SB374

BTW just got my SECOND Scout, a stainless left handed one for my lefty (not politically) wife. Waiting on Surefire MB762-211 which TOTALLY tames recoil and looks slick as well.

PS -- my wife modified an XS rail so it was beveled on the correct side for left hand ejection -- good wife!

Nice!!!!

Has it been shot? I wonder how much better shooting is the Stainless Steel version over the original blued version.

I recently sprang mine out of 10 day jail yesterday. I think I will follow posted advises on how to smooth up the action.

Any suggestions on what is a good lube for it?

Gem1950
09-09-2013, 5:59 AM
I think I will follow posted advises on how to smooth up the action. Any suggestions on what is a good lube for it?

Grease on the bolt

BHPFan
09-09-2013, 8:49 PM
Grease on the bolt

But wouldn't grease attracts more particles which make the bolt grittier to operate?

E92335i
09-09-2013, 10:20 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=747669

Check this out

SpunkyJivl
09-16-2013, 1:17 PM

Any suggestions on what is a good lube for it?

I like Froglube.

MapleSyrupSmuggler
09-16-2013, 1:43 PM

-hanko

:ban: