PDA

View Full Version : Must be gettin OLD!

golfrj
01-07-2008, 9:56 AM
Hey Guys, I seem to be going full circle on pistols, (anyone else?) Don't get me wrong I still think for home or protection use a semi auto is the correct choice.. But Not anywhere near a vintage S&W revolver for sheer looks and shooting enjoyment..

I Know, I know, Tactical is IN, but for this Old Guy those beautiful old Blued revolvers are FUN... Anyone Else have any thoughts?? Jim :D

1911A-1Fan
01-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Yeah, except that my full circle leads me to prefer a revolver for home defense - fewer things to think about to make it "work" - except now I have kids so a semi-auto is safer, and hence a "must" - here's my thinking:

Gun in locked container during daytime; unlocked under pillow at night.

Kids not strong enough to cycle slide to chamber a round if somehow they got past me and under the pillow - so the semi-auto is safe enough at nighttime, after the kids are asleep, subject to re-locking when I wake up. No need to unchamber/rechamber a round. Keep "one less" in magazine and rotate magazines for spring life.

A revolver in the same situation is not as good - the old "kid's use their thumbs on triggers, not their fingers," trick, and hence might operate a revolver (if they woke up in the middle of the night and got past me and under the pillow) even though it has a heavy, double action, trigger.

Yeah a semi-auto that isn't chambered isn't "ready for immediate defense" but at least by cycling the slide it can be made so. No a DA/SA semi-auto doesn't quite work when chambered because of that "kids use their thumbs on DA triggers" issue. On the other hand an unchambered semi-auto is better than an empty revolver - try loading a revolver, even with a reloader, during panic time.

(My preferred semi-auto' is DA/SA with a decocking mechanism, full size so the slide is easier to operate. A Kahr P40 is darn hard to operate the slide!)

mds2004
01-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Nope, just taste. I am 21 and just bought a P226 without the rail because I do not like the look of rails.

I am also thinking of buying a revolver as my next handgun purchase next because I just love shooting these things.

Timberwolf
01-07-2008, 12:22 PM
LOL - I have a fondness in my heart for S&W wheelguns and have even been know to use one in two and three gun comps - get the funniest looks when I walk to the line with a rev on my hip and a few speed loaders on my belt.

bigkahuna04
01-07-2008, 2:05 PM
I started out with a revolver .. Ruger 6inch Security Six...great fun and built like a tank...then I got started on Semi-Autos/1911 types. Now some 20 years later...I'm rediscovering Revolvers again, and having great fun. I've now switched to having my home defense choice to revolver.

I will be picking up a S&W 4inch 625 this Thursday...and really looking forward to getting to know it. I bought this from a fellow Calgunner....:D

KenpoProfessor
01-07-2008, 2:25 PM
I've never even liked revolvers until two years ago when I had an oppurtunity to pick up an almost new S&W 686 4" 7 shot for $350. I now have another rev to keep it company, a Ruger 6" GP100. I planned on getting a 629 within the next few months but, with the cost of ammo, it's getting further from a reality.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Mac
01-07-2008, 2:31 PM

metalhead357
01-07-2008, 6:19 PM
Heck...if its a legal weapon I'm there.

Had a buddy that went this route, from Semi's to Revolvers then back again and then again. Made for some great deals to ME. If its a gun and it shoots...I'm down with THAT:)

ETD1010
01-07-2008, 7:03 PM
I think revolvers will ALWAYS have a place, no matter how "cool" "tactical" or "in" semi-autos are. Granted, I love my semis, and I don't even own a revolver anymore.... but that doesn't mean I don't' want to.. or I think they are old news. Revolvers are awesome.

Blacktail 8541
01-08-2008, 7:35 AM
I've gone back and forth a couple of times, from revolvers and single actions to semi autos. I always end up with my 1911s'. Now I have a wrist problem that puts a sever limit on all handgun shooting. I sold off all but 3 handguns. Kept a 22 auto and 2 1911s. Plan to get 22 converions for them so that I can still shoot ocasionally.

Guess I will have to shoot my long guns more.