PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco Gun Show in Jan Any Good?

1911A-1Fan
01-07-2008, 8:33 AM
What can I expect to see if I hang around Jan 19, 20, for the SF Gun Show (my alternative is to take the wife and kids down to LA to see their grandma). I've been away from shooting for a decade and am just getting back into it - gun shops are scarcer (the San Francisco Gun Exchange has long closed down). I've been trying to rebuild my collection but it's slow thanks to the "one a month" rule (when did THAT pass?). I've been buying ammo from ammoman.com so ammo isn't a problem, I've discovered Midway. Any chance of finding a NIB (or close) private party 1911 at a good price? ($500 or less for a GI or Mil-Spec?)

Thanks!

cartman
01-07-2008, 9:30 AM
I'm surprised theres a gun show in SF. You can expect Newsom to go on the news and talk a good game about protesting and then nothing, probaly too busy cheating on his gf. You can expect claims that this will be the last gun show in SF ever. Also you can expect to see a more jerky then guns ratio and a guy selling body armor claiming there going to be illegal any day now. As much fun as:90:

USN CHIEF
01-07-2008, 9:38 AM
The local PD will be there exchanging guns for diapers thingy they do all the time, I think.

jchen76@gmail.com
01-07-2008, 9:47 AM
Was there for November. Miwall has great ammo prices, but if you want the good deals, you have to be there first thing! Missed out on the .45 and Wolf 7.62X39 pricing. Still great prices for the ammo, very wal-mart competitive plus more selection in HD rounds. Coldwar Shooters were there, lots of nice toys, picked up a Saiga and they had OLL configured rifles. Don't expect too many deals. Usually the pistol/rifle selections are MSRP or more, but there's more to see.

PJA
01-07-2008, 11:18 AM
The show is not in SF, but rather at the Cow Palace in Daly City.
Pete

QuarterBoreGunner
01-07-2008, 11:25 AM
^ what he said; there are no gun shows in SF.

Well... no legal gun shows in SF; I'm sure that at various parts of the night and early morning in Vis Valley; the Western Addition and HP/Bayview, you would be able to find may young men willing to show you their guns.

PressCheck
01-07-2008, 12:19 PM
It's good IF you like "Beef Jerky.

1911A-1Fan
01-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Was there for November. Miwall has great ammo prices, but if you want the good deals, you have to be there first thing! Missed out on the .45 and Wolf 7.62X39 pricing. Still great prices for the ammo, very wal-mart competitive plus more selection in HD rounds. Coldwar Shooters were there, lots of nice toys, picked up a Saiga and they had OLL configured rifles. Don't expect too many deals. Usually the pistol/rifle selections are MSRP or more, but there's more to see.

What about an inexpensive carbine that will take handgun ammunition so I don't have to keep so many varieties - e.g. a Ruger Police 9mm? Or a Kel-Tec SU16 (are these any good? I haven't seen one at a dealer). I can always order a Mini-14 or 30 (if they still make the 30), but it annoys me to spend so much on a rifle. I don't care about the so-called assault weapon bells and whistles, but I'd like a basic carbine or rifle for my collection. Or should I just ask my dealer to order?

jchen76@gmail.com
01-07-2008, 1:12 PM
I've seen Ruger Police 9mm at the show, Kel Tecs (you either love them or hate them according to this forum) along with M1 carbines (expensive). There wasn't too much in the variety of carbines except for the Cohaire MP5 clones which were 1400 from coldwar shooters. I just picked up OLL Rock River AR 9mm for 775 used. Just like you, wanted a carbine for plinking since .223 is getting expensive. I'm sure there's plenty of dealers at the show willing to order a rifle for you. As for me, I picked up a saiga rifle in 7.62x39 for 289 shipped to my FLL at the cow palace show. You may want to look at the saiga, great value, relatively cheap ammo (4 bucks for box 20 rounds of wolf also picked up at the show) and tough as nails (irvington arms in fremont carries these in stock). If you interested in kel-tecs, city-arms.com in pacifica carries them.

bonjing
01-07-2008, 1:21 PM
It's good IF you like "Beef Jerky.

hey you can't forget the popcorn lady :lurk5:

1911A-1Fan
01-07-2008, 1:43 PM
I've seen Ruger Police 9mm at the show, Kel Tecs (you either love them or hate them according to this forum) along with M1 carbines (expensive). There wasn't too much in the variety of carbines except for the Cohaire MP5 clones which were 1400 from coldwar shooters. I just picked up OLL Rock River AR 9mm for 775 used. Just like you, wanted a carbine for plinking since .223 is getting expensive. I'm sure there's plenty of dealers at the show willing to order a rifle for you. As for me, I picked up a saiga rifle in 7.62x39 for 289 shipped to my FLL at the cow palace show. You may want to look at the saiga, great value, relatively cheap ammo (4 bucks for box 20 rounds of wolf also picked up at the show) and tough as nails (irvington arms in fremont carries these in stock). If you interested in kel-tecs, city-arms.com in pacifica carries them.

Thanks for the Saiga tip. The price is right, and if the gas operated system is based on the Kali it should be reliable. I just can't see spending close to $800 for a Ruger based on the M1 Garand design. Under 300 for a sporter seems like a great price.

I like the Kel-Tec only because it folds down for transport (the Kel-Tec owners forum is full of lists of defects and upgrades on the 9mm single stack, so I guess it takes them half the alphabet to work the bugs out). When I got an 870 last year I couldn't fit it in my car in the box! I mean I have a smaller car but its not THAT small. There's a reason they call them "long guns.":mad:

ivanimal
01-07-2008, 1:48 PM
The Cowpie shows have been getting better lately. I feel they are worth attending.

jchen76@gmail.com
01-07-2008, 2:25 PM
The saiga is based on the Kalish rifles with the gas piston system, and same disassembly procedure. Saiga came wrapped in grease paper, cleaning rod, plastic oil bottle (empty), and a small tool kit tube that had a Cleaning Jag(used to hold cleaning patch), multi tool, pin punch and plastic bore brush. It also had sling mounts installed. Can't you tell it's a great value by now :-). Buy an SKS/AK sight pusher for 5 bucks, and you're good to go. Magazines were little bit pricey ($25), but there's tutorials on the web to convert the saiga to use the cheaper AK magazines (pre-ban or 10/30 of course). At the past November show, they had the saiga in .223 (syntheic stock) and .308 with wood furniture ($389). As a last option you can always buy an AR OLL receiver for around 100 bucks and up, and save your pennies for AR 9mm upper and parts.

Sampachi
01-07-2008, 3:36 PM
I usually go to hang out with friends and buy ammo. It's been a long time since I've bought any firearms there.
Go for the jerky, stay for the ammo.
At least they don't have Beany Babies anymore.

1911A-1Fan
01-08-2008, 8:10 AM
No gun show for me. Bad dog...bought the Kel-Tec SUS16CA from Dimitri at City Arms in Pacifica yesterday when I went in to pick up my FN9...now there's no dough for the gun show. :chris:

The price blew me away, but Dimitri swore they were competitive and in fact they had discounted it from the Kel-Tec website price. Plus Dimitri is going to install a Vulcan extractor for the parts costs only (he groaned about that).

gwl
01-08-2008, 8:54 AM
No gun show for me. Bad dog...bought the Kel-Tec SUS16CA from Dimitri at City Arms in Pacifica yesterday when I went in to pick up my FN9...now there's no dough for the gun show. :chris:

The price blew me away, but Dimitri swore they were competitive and in fact they had discounted it from the Kel-Tec website price. Plus Dimitri is going to install a Vulcan extractor for the parts costs only (he groaned about that).

Nice pick up from Dimitri. Great guy. He usually hooks me up on parts and other stuff.

Soldier415
01-11-2008, 9:44 AM
I'm going to be at the Cow Palace Show on Saturday manning the Fred Thompson booth...if you come you should stop by and say hi.

Always down with meeting calgunners :D

gwl
01-11-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm going to be at the Cow Palace Show on Saturday manning the Fred Thompson booth...if you come you should stop by and say hi.

Always down with meeting calgunners :D

see you there.

Toolbox X
01-11-2008, 1:54 PM
If you want to become exempt from the 1 handgun per month law just get your C&R FFL and Certificate of Eligibility. They are both easy to get.

metalhead357
01-11-2008, 5:26 PM
The Cowpie shows have been getting better lately. I feel they are worth attending.

Ditto........

Davidk
01-11-2008, 5:35 PM
What about an inexpensive carbine that will take handgun ammunition so I don't have to keep so many varieties - e.g. a Ruger Police 9mm? Or a Kel-Tec SU16 (are these any good? I haven't seen one at a dealer). I can always order a Mini-14 or 30 (if they still make the 30), but it annoys me to spend so much on a rifle. I don't care about the so-called assault weapon bells and whistles, but I'd like a basic carbine or rifle for my collection. Or should I just ask my dealer to order?
Build your self a 9mm AR 15:D

http://ninthstage.com/index.php/2006/03/02/build-your-own-9mm-ar-15-lower/

UBFRAGD
01-12-2008, 10:43 AM
"What can I expect to see if I hang around Jan 19, 20, for the SF Gun Show?"

You'll see me making a beeline to Miwall if you get there early enough. If there's any dough left over my man at the jerky table's gonna get it.
Psychologist: Say the first thing that comes to mind when I say "Ammo"
UBFRAGD: Jerky

I didn't even like/eat dried meat products until I met that guy at a gun show years ago........now I can't imagine a road trip without it......

Later!

sc15
01-12-2008, 11:20 AM
I'll echo what other posters have mentioned; the Cow Palace shows are gaining steam once again. It's not as big as it was back in the 90's or 80's, but it's certainly not dead slow like it was back in 2001-2. I am looking forward to going to the show next weekend.

Lots of OLL parts to fondle and buy :)