PDA

View Full Version : CA Laws regarding edged weapons?

banacek
08-26-2013, 3:46 PM
I'm new to the world of carrying a knife for SD, and I'm sure the state has plenty of rules on what is and isn't acceptable. Where does one go for finding these rules? For example, maximum blade length for concealed carry? Fixed blade vs folding? And any types not allowed, such as karambits, double edged, etc?

Tripper
08-26-2013, 3:47 PM
look for user librarian on here, and look at the 'wiki's above ^^^^.

Tripper
08-26-2013, 3:48 PM
Heres a thread to look at
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=590337

Meety Peety
08-26-2013, 8:50 PM
This is a great resource and I'm sure there are more to be found too.

http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/knifelaw.html

The general rundown:
A fixed blade can never be concealed.
Stay away from double edged fixed blades unless you can prove they are work tools.
A folder can almost always be concealed (Certain local regulations apply just like LTC)
Length is typically a non-issue for most conditions. Some rules do apply, not likely to apply to EDCers (you should check for your specific knife anyway)
Be aware of your surroundings and how laws might change when walking into a building or onto a campus etc.

P5Ret
08-26-2013, 9:22 PM
The biggest problem with knife laws is not the state but the counties and cities. The state is pretty good not perfect, most of the big cities have an ordinance on knife length for folders, and it changes every time you cross a city limit it seems.

mif_slim
08-27-2013, 4:55 AM
For SD be sure you know how to use it or it can quickly become your foe.

mej16489
08-27-2013, 10:20 AM
A fixed blade can never be concealed.
Stay away from double edged fixed blades unless you can prove they are work tools.
A folder can almost always be concealed (Certain local regulations apply just like LTC)

There is no difference in CA law between a "fixed blade" and a "double edged fixed blade." Both are legally considered a dirk/dagger; which as you pointed out may not be concealed 'on the person'

A locking folder, which is locked in the open position is a dirk/dagger. Do not conceal when locked open.

As used in this part, “dirk” or “dagger” means a knife or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death. A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not prohibited by Section 21510, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position.

As used in this part, “generally prohibited weapon” means any of the following:
(i) A concealed dirk or dagger, as prohibited by Section 21310.

Except as provided in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any person in this state who carries concealed upon the person any dirk or dagger is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

Librarian
08-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Now that it has a home, added a sticky in this forum, a copy of the 'Knife laws' link, below in my signature.