PDA

View Full Version : WTB: C&R Hunting Gun, shotgun

thejestre
08-25-2013, 8:30 PM
Hi all,

I posted in the regular WTB area before I found this awesome sub-forum.
[Original thread here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=12142274#post12142274)]

I've been target shooting for a while and now I'm interested in hunting. A lot of the C&R guns here are within my price range, and thus seem very attractive. Is it a bad idea to get one of these as a first hunting rifle? As a first hunting rifle, I don't want to get anything too fancy or expensive since I will likely beat it up while learning.

Looking for an older used rifle [preferably in the .30-06 or .308 caliber, or another caliber I can buy at Big 5] that will be a good gun for me to beat up while I learn it.

I bet most people will want some sort of "proof" that I am eligible to own a gun, and I am fine with that. I can show the paperwork from one of my rifles, my Cal ID, a HSC, but beyond that I don't know what a seller would want to see. Let me know your suggestions please.

I'm looking for a mechanically functioning gun, but it doesn't have to be beautiful. It just has to work reliably and shoot accurately enough for the task.

I am in the San Francisco Bay Area, willing to drive to much of California for the right gun. I plan to pay in person in cash but can also pay in Bitcoin if you'd like [based on MtGOX daily avg.].

Also looking for a shotgun in an easy to find caliber like 12 or 20 gauge. I'm interested in starting to shoot clay pigeons at my local outdoor range, so round capacity isn't too much of a concern. An older double barrel would probably be a great gun to fill this desire.

Thanks,

_theJestre

knucklehead0202
08-25-2013, 8:57 PM
a mosin-nagant carbine would make for a great hunting rifle. 7.62x54r is available with soft-point bullets, it's a great round and will knock down anything you're likely to hunt here. they're a handy-sized rifle and accurate enough. Chinese type53s, a copy of the m44 carbine are around and fairly cheap. that'd be the ticket for you i'd say.

jpscoot_21
08-25-2013, 9:52 PM
Or a sporterized 03. There seem to be a few around here.

rm1911
08-26-2013, 4:53 PM
While I hunt with a spoterized 03A3 that got many many years ago it was waaaaay cheap. Back then. Now?? Probably not gonna be so lucky.

Honestly, a big 5 or for us in SoCal turner's, will have a savage combo on sale for under 4. Is it be best rifle in the world? Deer will be no less dead than the guy with be $1200 rifle.

I've looked into sporter 03's and swede mausers on GB. Not cheaper for sure. Good luck with the search.