PDA

View Full Version : French MAS 36/51 Ventura $275 Will Ship

toenail
08-25-2013, 3:49 PM
Here's a great French MAS 36/51 bolt action rifle for sale. I have several other MAS rifles and think they are really neat historical pieces as well as great shooters. This rifle is in really nice shape with only the usual scratches you would expect from a 60 year old gun from the other side of the world. The bore is clean and shiny and muzzle hugs a 7.5 round quite well (I'd say a 1+). It has the rear peep sight and the guarded (not hooded) front post. The spike bayonet fits snugly on the lug and in its nested spot under the barrel. The action cycles smoothly and locks up solidly. The metal is in nice shape with no pitting or patina whatsoever. There are only factory stamps on the receiver so it was likely a bringback from some godforsaken colonial war somewhere. From the "F" serial number, the rifle was made in 1953 or 1954.

$275 firm FTF in Ventura via Island View Enterprises. Or if you've got a 03 FFL, I'll FedEx it to you for another $20. This is a nice gun and they ain't making any more of 'em (nor is it 1990 anymore then these things were $100) so the price is firm, though I am open to trading for other military rifles and/or ammo. I'll do checks or cash or money orders or Bank of America transfers if you're all new school and good with the online banking stuff.

If you're not familiar with the rifles, here's a good link about them.

http://armedbutnotdangerous.blogspot...6-and-mas.html

They are extremely well built (the craftsmanship makes my Springfield Garand look like it was made in China) and are great shooters. I've put literally thousands of rounds through my other MAS 36 and you'll have no problem keeping up with the Garand, Mosin or 1903 shooters at shooting matches if you're one of those types who likes shooting big bullets at things really far away. Compared with SKS rifles or the US surplus M1s, these things saw scarcely any real service in combat. Without getting into the geopolitics of the 1930s and '40s, there is some truth to the "Issued once, never fired, dropped once" cliche about the French guns.

This rifle, like all the good ones of its ilk, is chambered in the 7.5 French cartridge which is more or less comparable to the 30/06, 8mm Mauser or 7.62 x 54 cartridges in terms of recoil. The ammo isn't something you're going to find at Big 5 or WalMart, but I've had no trouble keeping my other MAS 36 and 49/51 fed for 75- $1 a round from gun shows or off the interweb. Prev Parvi makes some really good new issue stuff for $16/box if you look hard enough, though I myself am partial to the cute French surplus ammo which looks like the packaging was designed by little schoolkids in berets.

Emdawg
08-25-2013, 4:09 PM
Linky no worky.

ccandgc
08-25-2013, 5:31 PM
PM inbound....

DennisCA
08-25-2013, 6:16 PM
Linky no worky.

Same problem....

knucklehead0202
08-25-2013, 7:51 PM
that looks like a 36 rather than a 36/51. very nice though, and a good price. if I were closer i'd probabaly buy it.

Armistice
08-25-2013, 8:35 PM
I will drive to you to FTF if ccandg falls through

knucklehead0202
08-26-2013, 11:42 PM
has anyone heard from this guy? i'm interested but he hasn't responded on here....

ccandgc
08-27-2013, 6:15 AM
Nope....

mj1
08-27-2013, 9:32 AM
has anyone heard from this guy? i'm interested but he hasn't responded on here....

Where is the faith? Cut a new guy some slack. Send a followup email.

ccandgc
08-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Heard from him this morning.....I passed on the deal.

smle-man
08-29-2013, 9:59 PM
No response to my PM.

Heard from the owner, he's a pleasant person and willing to provide any information that you request. Shoot him a PM for more details on the rifle.

09-01-2013, 11:25 AM
bigger pics?

toenail
09-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Sorry for the slow responses. Limited internet access during the workweek. The rifle is stamped MAS 36/51 on the receiver and has a slightly different design than my MAS 36s (which seem to be slightly taller on the receiver). As SMLE-man was smart enough to ask (and I was dumb enough not to post originally), the serial numbers on the receiver and bolt don't match and the bore has been counterbored 1/4"-1/2". I can email larger pictures but they will be from the same iphone camera and might not be as great as one would hope. Feel free to PM me your email address and I'll get 'em back to you.

Oh, and the link is

http://armedbutnotdangerous.blogspot.com/2012/05/les-fusils-grands-french-mas-36-and-mas.html

The guy that writes it seems like a good guy to know.