PDA

View Full Version : Route to the snow behind Livermore/milpitas hills

1919A4
01-06-2008, 4:19 PM
Does anyone know the roads to take to get to the snow in the moutains behind Livermore/milpitas hills.

ldivinag
01-06-2008, 7:18 PM
wrong section but...

try mt hamilton.

get off alum rock road on 680. then head east towards the hills. route 160 is mt hamilton road and will take you up to the observatory....

wilit
01-06-2008, 7:19 PM
wrong section but...

try mt hamilton.

get off alum rock road on 680. then head east towards the hills. route 160 is mt hamilton road and will take you up to the observatory....

Exactly the way. Or if you're coming from the Livermore side, you'd take Mines Rd.

FreedomIsNotFree
01-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Good luck....the roads are typically blocked below the snow line to those that dont live on the mountain. They do that every year to keep people from driving themselves off the roads in their honda civic's and such.

SamIAm
01-07-2008, 6:04 PM
Beautiful part of Santa Clara County. Glad to see that they've preserved the hills (unlike parts of Los Angeles County where I am now). Seems like there's more game up there when I was growing up. Seems that every time I go back to visit the folks, I see deer and wild turkey (well, except during hunting season -- but you hunters know how that works).

Laughing about the closures part. They didn't used to do that (not sure how much it's enforced, once they plow the roads since my folks live below where the closure portion). I just remember how the non-local drivers would make me crazy, going up the road at 15-25 mph because the narrow two-lane road with drop offs on the right hand side would freak them out.

FreedomIsNotFree
01-07-2008, 11:04 PM
They definitely lock the road down. I forget the name of the park near the base of the mountain, but that is where the LEO's setup.

ldivinag
01-07-2008, 11:10 PM
They definitely lock the road down. I forget the name of the park near the base of the mountain, but that is where the LEO's setup.

joseph d. grant county park...

FreedomIsNotFree
01-08-2008, 12:08 AM
joseph d. grant county park...

That would be it....just before the road starts really climbing up...