PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on Anza Knives?

SDPatriot
08-25-2013, 2:23 AM
Does anybody own one or used one?

Blademan21
08-25-2013, 9:32 PM
Charlie Davis started Anza Knives over 30 years ago. The company makes knives out of carbon steel files. The are annealed and then ground to shape and then heat treated. They are good for most any task as long as the are sharpened well. Will rust because they are carbon. Decent value for a EDC user.
Charlie made a steak knife set of 6 for me with the wood block over 25 years ago that I only use when I have company for dinner. Great conversation starter, as they are that good looking. Don't mistreat them and they will last a lifetime. Buy a small one and give it a try. Hope that helps.

Meety Peety
08-26-2013, 11:28 AM
I don't have extensive knowledge on the subject but I have owned two Anzas for several years and to be honest was never that impressed. I bought both of them at discount from some guy my dad knew but I have never in my life come across on that I would pay full asking price for. I don't know what it is - they just scream top quality to me. It has been my opinion that there are better options in the price range.

The two Anza knives I own are by no means junk, but I'd say they are worth about what I paid for them - around half of retail price. I would say the fillet knife was a good deal at $50, I probably wouldn't buy the hunter again even for what I paid for it, which was $60. I see these knives all over the place from swap meets to guns shows to local fairs.. usually marked at about double what I paid, I just shake my head every time. They are attractive knives though.

Meety Peety
08-26-2013, 11:30 AM
They don't scream top quality to me* I think that's enough posting from my phone today. :/

golfish
08-28-2013, 6:02 PM
I have way too many of these knifes (12 or more, don't ask) I do have a few problems with em. I really like these knifes and carry one everyday.

1) the handles are nice but don't ever drop the knife on a hard surface, they break off\come un glued very easy. I wish they used rivets or pins to hold the handles in place.

2) the sheaths are well made but they loosen up very easy

SDPatriot
08-31-2013, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the helpful insight. I asked because during the panic I managed to get some really nice Anza's at good prices. I even have one from 1983, a really awesome bowie knife. Glad to see they're liked in the knife community. Now I really want a custom steak knife set.

budah1999
09-26-2013, 11:34 PM
i own two of these knives they hold a good cutting edge very well but they rust extremely fast being that they are high carbon steel i paid way to much for one of them the boddington @$140 from a tool dealer and $60 for the other they are god hunting knives if you dont care about them getting used and abused i have to run mine through the polisher every other time I use them.

Blademan21
09-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Budah
After you polish your Anza do you coat them with some kind of oil? Maybe some CLP

golfish
10-05-2013, 1:40 PM
Budah
After you polish your Anza do you coat them with some kind of oil? Maybe some CLP

I bake on some frog lube. Seems to work ok.

Jazeronthelaser
10-05-2013, 1:46 PM
^^^Me too. I like my anza knives.