PDA

View Full Version : Bartlein Barrel - Help me pick a barrel Contour

ExtremeX
08-24-2013, 6:18 PM
I'm looking to re-barrel a Remington 700 .223 but not really sure which barrel contour I want or should get for a dedicated range / bunch gun.

I'm pretty happy with something like what would be found on an SPS Tactical, but I wouldn't mind something heavier.

I have always liked the "truck axle" contour. Not sure if its just an extreme amount of overkill for a 223 barrel.

I'm not too concerned about weight, I have other .223 rifles which are lighter, but just want to make a nice target rig for range enjoyment.

Is there such thing as too big, like contours which would have trouble fitting into certain stocks or chassis systems. I currently own an AICS for my .308, but changes are I would end up buying a nice stock or a different chassis for this build.

What do you recommend?
http://www.bartleinbarrels.com/contours.htm

If you have pictures, post em.

Cypriss32
08-24-2013, 6:25 PM
Medium palma or rem varmint. I take it you are running a 1-8 or 1-7tw?

ExtremeX
08-24-2013, 6:47 PM
Care to put any insight into the contour recommendation or is it just personal preference?

I have plans to get the barrel in 1:7.75 twist per Randalls recommendation. Primarily looking to play around with some 75gr and 80gr Amax in addition to what I already load for which is in the 68/69gr range.

LynnJr
08-24-2013, 9:14 PM
I would get the heavy varmint barrel or what everyone calls the 1000 yard taper or max heavy varmint.
They finish at 28 inches and have a 5 inch long section nearest the action that is 1.250 straight.
The 28 inch length gives you all the length a 223 can use plus you can set the barrel back if you want a higher performing cartridge down the road.
It is also about to the weight limit you can safely add to a Remington 700 action without hurting the bedding or bending the action.
The extra weight reduces felt recoil and a standard Harrells/Hoehn type tuner will fit the 0.940 muzzle.
If you go to a straight taper barrel the weight starts to become an issue.
Also the max heavy varmint can usually be found in stock somewhere so you don't have to wait a year to get your barrel.
If you order a Bartlien tell Frank Lynn says hello.

Switchbarrel
08-24-2013, 9:38 PM
For a dedicated range / bunch gun.

I have always liked the "truck axle" contour. Not sure if its just an extreme amount of overkill for a 223 barrel.

What do you recommend?
http://www.bartleinbarrels.com/contours.htm

If you have pictures, post em.

For what you have mentioned, the #9 HV would be awesome in a .223

Being able to run your shots downrange quickly when desired with minimal recoil or point of aim shifts is just plain fun. My .284 heavy gun is 58#, it's a blast launching 10 rounds downrange for a group in a hurry (pun intended).

Since weight is of little concern for this application, if it'll fit your stock, there's no reason not to. If you were closer, I'd let you try some of mine (Dasher's, 6.5x.284 & .284) with the #9 HV barrels. Then I'd screw on a Med. Palma and let you feel the difference. 2# of barrel weight is a noticeable difference when shot back to back.

I have them in a McMillan MBR, a Stockade long range BR, Master Class Master 1000, a Lone Wolf Ultra Tactical and an H-S Precision Varmint stock (had to open that barrel channel up a fair amount over the Rem. Varmint contour). I don't have any chassis so, can't help you there.

-Rick

LynnJr
08-24-2013, 10:14 PM
The barrel Rick is talking about above is the same one I described earlier.Some manufacturers call it a #17 contour as well.
On a barrel up to 28 inches there is no real difference in price either.
You can always cut one shorter or have it re-contoured but if you buy it small you can't add on later.

Switchbarrel
I packaged up your stuff and it will go out in mondays mail.Enjoy.
Lynn

Cypriss32
08-24-2013, 11:56 PM
My insight? My rifle all double as hunting guy and I carry them around. I only shoot at a square range if I am close to home. I learned a few years a m24 contour rifle doesn't suit my needs and I don't gain anything with 2 extra pounds of just barrel. That's me, if you want a bench gun buy a heavy barrel.

LynnJr
08-25-2013, 9:26 AM
I'm not too concerned about weight, I have other .223 rifles which are lighter, but just want to make a nice target rig for range enjoyment.

toby
08-25-2013, 9:47 AM
.850 at the muzzle is more than sufficient

russ69
08-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Oh crap, I agree with LynnJr. A heavy varmint class barrel is plenty heavy enough.

Spyder
08-25-2013, 10:59 AM
I like 'em short and stubby. :D Like this!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=12153371#post12153371

HK Dave
08-25-2013, 12:50 PM
If you plan to shoot in a tactical match or do anything other than benchrest, medium palma or rem/varmint.

If you will just be shooting off a bench, get the truck axle MTU #7. ;)

Seriously though, get the med palma or rem/varmint. It's thick enough that heat from repeated fire shouldn't affect groups, but still a heavy mofo... especially at say 26".

vintagearms
08-25-2013, 12:58 PM
I just picked up a Bartlein .223 in 1in8 Rem Varmit. Nice barrel. Expect a 3 month wait or so. Mounting a heavy contour is no problem if when you order the stock from say Manners to let them know what contour the barrel is.

I went with the Rem Varmit so it would fit any stock and I don't compete with it. Just a range toy.

BigBamBoo
08-25-2013, 2:07 PM
Med or heavy Palma has become my preferred contour. Just remember that a heav barrel takes longer to heat up....but it also takes longer to cool down. So after running a bunch of straight contour or straight taper contour, I switched to the Palma contour and like them much better.

Take care,Stan

totus44
08-25-2013, 7:17 PM
Talking about Bartlein barrels, what is the consensus on T-rifling?

HK Dave
08-25-2013, 9:12 PM
If you're referring to whatever rifling Bartlein barrels run, the consensus is that Bartlein makes the best barrels money can buy... well them and Krieger... but aren't they basically the same people that left Krieger and started Bartlein? ;)

LynnJr
08-27-2013, 3:06 PM
Oh crap, I agree with LynnJr. A heavy varmint class barrel is plenty heavy enough.

Russ69
Its okay to agree with me just not okay to admit it on Calguns.

totus44
08-27-2013, 8:08 PM
If you're referring to whatever rifling Bartlein barrels run, the consensus is that Bartlein makes the best barrels money can buy... well them and Krieger... but aren't they basically the same people that left Krieger and started Bartlein? ;)

http://www.bartleinbarrels.com/Trifling.htm

No, was referring to transitional rifling, gain twist or progressive twist. Curious is any comparisons have been made of the uniform rifling (start and fix twist) with the transitional rifling. The limit of discussion I have seen was in favor of smaller increments <1 or even <0.5. Nothing like adding one more variable to the equation.