PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun transfer

bbbppc
01-06-2008, 9:27 AM
My brother is moving to a free state and doesn't want to take his shotgun. he wants to sell it to me. What hoops do I have to go through to legally transfer it? Thanks for any responses.

thedonger
01-06-2008, 9:29 AM
you both just have to go to an FFL (gun shop) and do a PPT (Private Party Transfer) and pay $35 & wait 10 days. Oh and give up your first born child.

bbbppc
01-06-2008, 10:35 AM
you both just have to go to an FFL (gun shop) and do a PPT (Private Party Transfer) and pay $35 & wait 10 days. Oh and give up your first born child.

Even between brothers? for a shotgun?

Mssr. Eleganté
01-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Even between brothers? for a shotgun?

Yes.

The "family" exemption to FFL transfer requirements in California only goes up and down the family tree. So parent to child, child to parent, grandparent to grandchild, grandchild to grandparent transfers are exempt. Spouse to spouse transfers are also exempt under another part of the law.

Sibling to sibling transfers are not exempt.

If the shotgun happens to be over 50 years old then the transfer is exempted under the "C&R long gun" exemption.

hawk81
01-06-2008, 11:26 AM
If you trust your brother, and your brother trusts you, then just give him the money and it is yours.

56Chevy
01-06-2008, 1:02 PM
If you want to go by the book and avoid transfer fees, then he can give it to one of your parents. If they get tired of it they can give it to you...no paperwork necessary.

rivviepop
01-06-2008, 1:38 PM
If you trust your brother, and your brother trusts you, then just give him the money and it is yours.

If I'm not mistaken (IANAL), this is completely illegal within our state.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-06-2008, 1:43 PM
If I'm not mistaken (IANAL), this is completely illegal within our state.

You are not mistaken.

bbbppc
01-06-2008, 5:35 PM
If you want to go by the book and avoid transfer fees, then he can give it to one of your parents. If they get tired of it they can give it to you...no paperwork necessary.

Sounds good. When my dad get tired of it he'll give it to me.

56Chevy
01-06-2008, 7:16 PM
Sounds good. When my dad get tired of it he'll give it to me.
Yes, just wait for dad to get bored with it.

bwiese
01-06-2008, 7:22 PM

Please do not give out poor advice advocating illegal actions here.

There are a variety of reasons LE could get entangled with that shotgun (stolen, fire/exigent circumstances) - and then the illegal transfer comes to notice.

$35 is cheap grief prevention, keeping things clean.

Now, if your dad was around and CA resident, your brother could give it to your dad, who would sometime later give it to you. That's indeed kosher.

bbbppc
01-06-2008, 9:33 PM
Please do not give out poor advice advocating illegal actions here.

There are a variety of reasons LE could get entangled with that shotgun (stolen, fire/exigent circumstances) - and then the illegal transfer comes to notice.

$35 is cheap grief prevention, keeping things clean.

Now, if your dad was around and CA resident, your brother could give it to your dad, who would sometime later give it to you. That's indeed kosher.

I definitely will not be doing anything illegal. Yes my dad is a CA resident and will probably be receiving the shotgun. If he wants to give it to me later on so be it.

brianm767
01-06-2008, 11:50 PM
I definitely will not be doing anything illegal. Yes my dad is a CA resident and will probably be receiving the shotgun. If he wants to give it to me later on so be it.

There you go! your dad will probably get tired of it, and later give it to you.
Every gun I or my brother have ever given to my dad, has always ended up with the other , what a coincidence?

bigthaiboy
01-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Yes, just wait for dad to get bored with it.

And if your dad isn't particularly into shotguns, he may get bored with it after about 30 minutes. Then I guess he could then give it to you. ;)