PDA

View Full Version : Converting Vulcan Arms Cal legal AR15

wwingnut
01-06-2008, 7:55 AM
I need help in converting a Vulcan Arms Cal legal fixed magazine AR15 to a removable magazine with a bullet button. Before I start,the release button is in the receiver solidly and I need to know if there is an easy way to remove it without drilling. also is the release clip made permanently to the receiver and can it be removed painlessly? Don't know if these parts are epoxied in place or if they are welded in somehow. I was thinking about drilling down the center of the release button past the threads and then trying to gently tap out the release clip. Then trying to remove the fixed button with a Dremel tool or drilling a larger hole in the center of it and trying to crush it inward to remove it. What do you think?
HELP
Mike

DV8
01-06-2008, 8:55 AM
I think Vulcan used epoxy on some mag releases to hold them in place. This was done after pinning the mag to the receiver. Do you see any epoxy in the release area?

You might want to try tapping on the mag release button with a rubber mallet to try getting it to move first. To give you an idea of what you're up against below are pics of the pin holding the mag:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/dv830/vulcanmagrel1.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/dv830/vulcanmagrel2.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/dv830/vulcanmagrel7.jpg

The third pic shows the pin being removed after drilling through its center with a 1/8 bit about 1/4 into the pin. This loosened it up enough so it could be moved with pliers.

TonyM
01-06-2008, 9:30 AM
The ones I bought before the OLL Invasion were heavily epoxied. So much so that when I heated the mag release button with a heat gun and hit it with a hammer the flat side of the mag catch on the other side of the receiver broke and part was still epoxied in.

If yours are like mine were:

Heating it to about 140F will make it easier to remove.

Drilling out the pin was no biggie. The hardest part was getting all the epoxy out of the mag release button well, they plastered that thing. A small dremel bit will fit in there and be able to remove the epoxy to let the button fit in the hole and move, but it will take some time.

I still have one Vulcan lower in stock epoxied form and have no plans to mess with it. It's much easier to leave it in the safe setup as a "top loader" and buy another lower that you know is built to spec.

wwingnut
01-07-2008, 3:42 PM
Thanks DV8 and TonyM.
Your info was really good. I just barely tapped the button with the plastic handle of a screwdriver and the button compresses. The mag release was not epoxied and it just screwed right off. Not much epoxy in the button cavity, in fact it took about 5 seconds and it just chipped out. The pin of coarse was a little more difficult, but it drilled out nicely. The mag had quite a bit of epoxy holding it in, but there again it was so hard it just chipped out nicely. I now have a clean receiver that I can install the bullet button in.
Thanks again for the advice. The whole project was a total of 20 minutes.

TonyM
01-07-2008, 8:51 PM
Very nice. you got lucky compared to my experience.

Cheers.

DV8
01-08-2008, 8:38 AM
Yup you sure did. Have fun!

Blue
01-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I got a Vulcan when they were first released and the glue they used was almost like silicone. It just peeled out.