PDA

View Full Version : Surgeon is a driver

intensefab
08-24-2013, 8:39 AM
So think I finally found a load the Surgeon Scapel is happy with...

Lapua brass
Berger 168g VLD Match
CCI BR2
41.3g IMR 8208xbr

10 shot string of 1.136 at 300 yards with 3 flyers...my fault!

Stockton
08-24-2013, 8:43 AM
3 flyers almost on top of each other? Consistent flyers! LOL! I would measure your flyers before that other group. Much tighter than 1.136. Good shooting!

ERdept
08-24-2013, 4:15 PM
I had a surgeon scalpel as well, and regret selling it to this day.

Exodus343
08-24-2013, 4:50 PM
I wish I can shoot at your guy's level....

I can't even shoot under 1 MOA at 100 yards....

ExtremeX
08-24-2013, 5:10 PM
3 flyers almost on top of each other? Consistent flyers! LOL! I would measure your flyers before that other group. Much tighter than 1.136. Good shooting!

lol, I was thinking the same thing.

Those are some impressive flyers.

Grats you found ur load OP, always a good feeling.

intensefab
08-24-2013, 5:52 PM
lol, I was thinking the same thing.

Those are some impressive flyers.

Grats you found ur load OP, always a good feeling.

I know, I pushed those three but was pretty damn impressed that they were all in the same hole! Guess I gotta do that more often HA

killshot44
08-24-2013, 9:21 PM

You guys need remedial math.

He said he shot ten, I count seven -the three flyers aren't in the photo.

And yeah, all flyers "count" in the group measurement. Can't pick the ones you like or the best five.

Shoot five, 5-shot groups and get back to us.

CRTguns
08-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Just my experience... but what you're paying for with a top dollar custom rifle... should be a rifle that shoots well with any load? I'd be pissed if I paid surgeon money and then had to chase a load to get decent accuracy.

The 8 shots I see make a hair over 2"

What results did you get with the first batch of loads? Tried factory ammo? Fed GM?

707electrician
08-24-2013, 10:40 PM

And yeah, all flyers "count" in the group measurement. Can't pick the ones you like or the best five.

This was my thinking

ExtremeX
08-24-2013, 10:53 PM
but what you're paying for with a top dollar custom rifle... should be a rifle that shoots well with any load? I'd be pissed if I paid surgeon money and then had to chase a load to get decent accuracy.

I don't think that's how it works... but if it does, ill let you know once i'm finished with my custom build...

I'm my experience, just because you dropped a bunch of cash, doesn't mean EVERY load is going to shoot well or the same.

There is a reason to work up a load, and that's to find what plays nice or works the best, and extracts that last bit of accuracy the hardware can deliver.

Even with top shelf hardware… the load and its consistency from round to round is still a major player in how it’s going to perform down range.

intensefab
08-25-2013, 3:31 AM

Back to you

Three flyers were in the same hole on the left side. The other seven shots are in the five holes that were measured. Yeah, I could have measured the flyers, but the point was how nice the accuracy was at 300 yards.

Ninask
08-25-2013, 3:33 AM
OMG

intensefab
08-25-2013, 3:37 AM
Just my experience... but what you're paying for with a top dollar custom rifle... should be a rifle that shoots well with any load? I'd be pissed if I paid surgeon money and then had to chase a load to get decent accuracy.

The 8 shots I see make a hair over 2"

What results did you get with the first batch of loads? Tried factory ammo? Fed GM?

Factory ammo works just fine but like with all factory ammo consistency is not there. The reason I spend the time to find the load any of my rifles likes is to find the consistency and or repeatability. Just because it is a top dollar machine does not mean that crap ammo will shoot better.

Spyder
08-25-2013, 9:54 AM
Back to you

Three flyers were in the same hole on the left side. The other seven shots are in the five holes that were measured. Yeah, I could have measured the flyers, but the point was how nice the accuracy was at 300 yards.

I'm with Killshot. And he MAY know what he's talking about, or so I've heard. ;) Those five you measured sure as heck don't look like 7 to me!

Incidentally, if someone is looking to buy a Surgeon, I just decided that I don't need mine anymore...
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=12153371#post12153371

intensefab
08-25-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm with Killshot. And he MAY know what he's talking about, or so I've heard. ;) Those five you measured sure as heck don't look like 7 to me!

Incidentally, if someone is looking to buy a Surgeon, I just decided that I don't need mine anymore...
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=12153371#post12153371

Really son, so I guessing your calling me a liar?

russ69
08-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Back to you

It's the shots out of the group that determine the accuracy, not the ones inside the group. It's a 2 inch group at 300 yards, still very good.

HK Dave
08-25-2013, 11:46 AM

Great rifle... i love surgeon! I'm sure you bought one of the most accurate rifles in existence today and that's something to celebrate!

However i'm with killshot... when measuring groups, there is no such thing as "flyers". All shots count.

Spyder
08-26-2013, 6:13 PM
Really son, so I guessing your calling me a liar?

...dad?! :p

totus44
08-27-2013, 7:30 PM
To be clear, in the attached image: 5 shots in the orange, 2 intersecting in the black to the left, and "3 flyers" that are not shown? Are those the 10 shots?

Before an e-liar match breaks out, get on the same page. ;)

mofugly13
08-27-2013, 7:38 PM
Maybe t's a great three round group with seven flyers?

I shoot spectacular 1 round groups all the time.

choo2x
08-28-2013, 7:17 PM
I see 10 shots in the photo:

Two in the center shot of the group of five. The hole is too ragged to be a single shot.
Two shots in the top right shot in the group of five. The hole looks oblong toward the top
Three other shots in the group of five.
Three shots in the group to the left. The center shot left it's own trace in the yellow.

Just my two cents.

Bongos
08-30-2013, 1:08 PM
Either way it's an excellent group, I've seen 4.58" 5 round groups at 600 yards with a R&D Precision Guardian in 260 Rem... so if you practice every week and have a nice set up... it is possible