PDA

View Full Version : TURNERS new transfer fees.

dondo
01-05-2008, 7:52 PM
Anyone see the new sign in Turners for their new fees for FFL transfers. $125.00 plus fees and plus DROS. PPT remains $35.00 (the law). Good times. Ades is what...$45.00 for the first and $35.00 for any number after? I think.

USN CHIEF
01-05-2008, 7:56 PM
Man, that is too expensive. That's called robbery...:eek:

caduckgunner
01-05-2008, 8:01 PM
That way you have the choice of transferring in a gun, paying list price from them, or going somewhere else. The only guns I buy there are used one's I find for a good price or sometimes they have a really good sale price.

Mac
01-05-2008, 8:15 PM

moonrunrs
01-05-2008, 8:20 PM
I just bought my new .45 last week and Turners did the FFL. Even with the fee, it was still cheaper than at any Cali gun store I priced at. Gunbroker.com has some good deals on new and used.

mike100
01-05-2008, 8:22 PM
That is their way of telling people that they would rather have the staff hawk their in stock wares and would rather not be tied up with a transfer. Other, full service traditional gunshops charge $35.

Turners is still good for discounts due to volume sales and occasional odds and ends. I can't really complain- there are about 5 gun stores on my rotation, they're all good at something.

moonrunrs
01-05-2008, 8:40 PM
Yeah, I agree with Mike100 but at least Turners will do an FFL. I went to Martin B Retting and the overweight commando wannabe working there spent 10 minutes lecturing me on why they wouldn't do a transfer.

hawk81
01-05-2008, 8:43 PM
Turners suck ***.

dondo
01-05-2008, 9:57 PM
Yeah, I agree with Mike100 but at least Turners will do an FFL. I went to Martin B Retting and the overweight commando wannabe working there spent 10 minutes lecturing me on why they wouldn't do a transfer.
They will do it for 125 +. I heard it straight from the managers mouth that the reason its so high is that they want to discourage it. I am sure in a year they will stop providing that service. I think even grants Boys is cheaper than that.

bluestaterebel
01-06-2008, 4:15 AM
:eek:

Astig Boy
01-06-2008, 8:22 AM
This is good Turners charge +$125. Who really benefits from this, the small mom and pops gunshops.

CALI-gula
01-07-2008, 1:23 AM
Man, that is too expensive. That's called robbery...:eek:

No, read the subtext: it's called they don't really want to do them; so much so, you'll often overhear their sales people referring customers to other independent shops for out-of-state transfers. Besides the fact they would rather profit on selling you direct from their store, they also don't want the risk and hassle of potentially being on the receiving end of something that isn't 100% OK. They also don't want to be caught in the middle of a deal with a customer that doesn't show when the gun arrives (it happens), or end up receiving a handgun not on the DOJ Safety Approved List due to model confusion, and have to be responsible for sending it back to the originating seller, at the cost of time and effort, for no profit, etc.

I wouldn't do an out-of-state transfer at Turners even if they matched Ade's, Bright Spot Pawn's, or Metroshot's prices. I don't even like doing PPT's there.

About 4 years ago, I was selling a Nickle Colt Python, which was like new in the box, NO turn ring, but the buyer was insistent on doing a PPT at Turners (it was a Sunday and they were the only dealer open in reasonable range). Fine, whatever. As we are doing the PPT, one of the idiot high-school kids working there picks the gun up off the counter with the crane open, and spins the cylinder like a friggin' cowboy giving it a whirl on Wheel of Fortune. He hit it hard enough to have sprung the crane - it was amazing he didn't. He had no clue as to what a Colt Python was, and had no idea it wasn't anything any more special than the Taurus revolvers they had in their display case. After yanking it away from him, and explaining that it was not something you do with revolvers, especially with customer's guns for which he knew nothing about, he had the balls to be defensive over his actions - that was until his manager sternly told him to retreat to the back stock-room to do inventory or something.

At least the manager apologized.

douglasmorris99
01-07-2008, 7:40 PM
I over heard a dealing in San diego quote 95.00,, shocked me,,I just did one at royal pawn for 35 and so cal guns is 28.50..
125, I would tell em to kiss my *** and find someone else..

kermit315
01-07-2008, 9:25 PM
cheapest in Oxnard/Camarillo/Ventura area that I have found is 75 in Ventura and 105 at Shooters Paradise.

gazzavc
01-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Little by little the gears keep grinding away.......

This is exactly the scenario the anti's want. Death by 1000 cuts, or 1000 bucks to be more precise.

Keep upping the fees and licence requirements to stay in business, in that way the smaller gun shops close down, throw in some ATF audits for good measure to provide more FUD, another bout of gunshops close, then all thats left standing are the big chain shops who won't/can't/don't transfer this that or the other, and all of a sudden we wake up and there are no FFL's who can transfer a weapon under $250 plus DROS fees.....

It has almost become a huge pain to buy anything these days.

Is it approved yes/no ?

Can/Will my FFL bring it in yes/no ?

How far will I need to drive (twice in 10 days)

It is getting harder and harder.

Just some thoughts.....

CALI-gula
01-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Little by little the gears keep grinding away.......

This is exactly the scenario the anti's want. Death by 1000 cuts, or 1000 bucks to be more precise.

Keep upping the fees and licence requirements to stay in business, in that way the smaller gun shops close down, throw in some ATF audits for good measure to provide more FUD, another bout of gunshops close, then all thats left standing are the big chain shops who won't/can't/don't transfer this that or the other, and all of a sudden we wake up and there are no FFL's who can transfer a weapon under $250 plus DROS fees.....

Well no, in this case, THIS is what the CHAIN STORES like Turner's want - so you buy new, instead of buying over the internet, and so you don't become a collector of esoteric guns, but instead, you buy any one of their cookie-cutter assembly line offerings only.

Turners could just as easily lower their transfer price on out-of-state incoming. However, they want to sell you the same gun instead. Well sorry Turner's, but you don't carry that one-of-kind custom-made McBros rifle in .338 Lapua that I can only get online from "Bob" in Pennsylvania.

The future of gun purchasing IS through the internet, and vetting it through dealers that offer low transfer prices - those who can do so because of little overhead due to low-rent locations, minimalist inventory, or exclusive rural kitchen-table/gun show set-ups.

There is a very good reason Turner's started its online consignment list. ;)

Spiggy
01-08-2008, 4:22 AM
so uh... whose up for some moonin' at the Turner's HQ?

Nodda Duma
01-08-2008, 7:54 AM
In case you are ever on the eastern side of the Sierras. In Ridgecrest, CA the most a dealer charges for xfers is $20. The guys I go to charge $10. The #'s may have changed slightly since last I looked, but no way in hell they charge that much.

-Jason