PDA

View Full Version : Forum Splits

MudCamper
08-23-2013, 8:56 AM
This forum currently has 5 people viewing, while the other one (California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism) has 200 viewing.

If I want to ask a "legal" question, do I have to ask it here, where nobody will see it, or can I ask it over on the busy forum?

Do we really want this forum? Can't we put "legal" back in the other one?

(And my question is not a "2nd Amend. Litigation Discussion" question either.)

Southwest Chuck
08-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Agreed. I don't mind a split between CA and National issues like MDShooters (http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7) does, but the corresponding National/CA legal cases should be included in those respective forums, so I vote to ditch this 2A legal forum. It's just too confusing for people and will created nothing but work for mods constantly having to relocate various legal threads, IMO

Frito Bandido
08-23-2013, 11:23 AM
The new format is alot better IMO. It's just that people haven't learned to start posting their non-CA specific stuff in the National forum. Mods just need to police it a little more right now during the transition and it'll work just fine. Trying to find anything of importance in the old 2A forum sucks because there is so much crap and duplicate posts to wade through... and one of the reasons you see so many dupes is topics scroll away so soon and people don't realize there's already an existing topic on what they're posting about.

MudCamper
08-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Here's my problem. I want to ask a "legal" question. Let's say it's 4A and tangentially related to 2A, and is related specifically to California Penal Code.

Where do I post this? Here in this forum? No, because this forum is for national discussion. In the Other forum? No, because that forum is for politics, NOT legal issues (any more). In the other "litigation" forum? No, obviously not. When all of this was under one forum, "law/legal" was included in the topic. Once the forum was split into three forums, the subject "law/legal" was removed from all but this "national" one.

One of the main reasons I (and many people) originally came to CalGuns was to figure out how to walk the line and not break the law here in California. Now we no longer have a forum for this type of discussion.

Sure, I could go ahead and ask in the "General Gun Discussion", or the new "2A Politics and Activism", but I used to ask/answer these discussions in the "2nd Amend. Related Legal & Political Discussion".

Now, discussion about how to not break California law, or how to develop the next Bullet Button, or exploit the latest loophole, are off-topic no matter where they are posted.

Kharn
08-23-2013, 12:59 PM
The split either needs to be reversed, or have the mods sweep the original forum and move content to the appropriate venue.

Kestryll
08-23-2013, 5:31 PM
Here's my problem. I want to ask a "legal" question. Let's say it's 4A and tangentially related to 2A, and is related specifically to California Penal Code.

Where do I post this? Here in this forum? No, because this forum is for national discussion. In the Other forum? No, because that forum is for politics, NOT legal issues (any more). In the other "litigation" forum? No, obviously not. When all of this was under one forum, "law/legal" was included in the topic. Once the forum was split into three forums, the subject "law/legal" was removed from all but this "national" one.

One of the main reasons I (and many people) originally came to CalGuns was to figure out how to walk the line and not break the law here in California. Now we no longer have a forum for this type of discussion.

Sure, I could go ahead and ask in the "General Gun Discussion", or the new "2A Politics and Activism", but I used to ask/answer these discussions in the "2nd Amend. Related Legal & Political Discussion".

Now, discussion about how to not break California law, or how to develop the next Bullet Button, or exploit the latest loophole, are off-topic no matter where they are posted.

Remember, I did say that there would be some adjustments and refinements as they became needed, this looks to be one of them.

With all the shuffling it's not surprising that something got overlooked.
Fortunately I have all of you looking out for these kinds of things and you're willing to point them out...

:D

Nahuatl
08-24-2013, 6:51 AM
I disagree. I come here to keep up on current changes in both national and state policy. These forums have become so huge that the info is often buried so deeply by trivia that I give up looking. Threads are often sidetracked to the point of distraction.

I don't want to have to sort through all the worthless comments. Asking a question is often a wasted exercise thanks to the folks who have an opinion on everything and absolutely have to post it, comedians, internet regurgitators, and idiots.

I assume that I am not alone when I write that some serious restructure is long overdue or else the site is just noise.

Maestro Pistolero
08-24-2013, 9:51 AM
Kestrell, I see the need for the split and have confidence it can be sorted out for better functionality. Good move, IMO. In the meantime, do you have any interim suggestions for a quandary such as mudcamper's?

2nd Mass
08-24-2013, 5:40 PM
I thought the split with legal was in preparation for potential cases?

MudCamper
08-28-2013, 8:07 AM
Hey! The Litigation sub-forum's title got updated to include "Legal Discussion". Thanks!

Whiterabbit
08-28-2013, 9:41 AM
This forum currently has 5 people viewing, while the other one (California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism) has 200 viewing.

If I want to ask a "legal" question, do I have to ask it here, where nobody will see it, or can I ask it over on the busy forum?

Do we really want this forum? Can't we put "legal" back in the other one?

(And my question is not a "2nd Amend. Litigation Discussion" question either.)

I kind of like the splits. Before, I had ONE place to visit to view everything going on. Now, with so many forums, the best policy is to view none of them (I only saw this because it was on the main calguns page)

Now that I visit the 2A area less than once a week rather than every day or twice a day, I find myself much happier, like an ostrich with his head in the sand.

Thanks Calguns!