PDA

View Full Version : Kings Gunworks Glendale - Closing forever :(

Black_Talon
01-05-2008, 4:58 PM
Heard rumors of this, so I called them today. Salesguy that answered the phone said "yes, we'll be closing in mid-March". He said that their 1911 parts will still be available via mail-order.

Kruzr
01-05-2008, 5:37 PM
That's kinda like Disneyland closing. There is a rich history at King's Gunworks. It's really a shame.

Greg-Dawg
01-05-2008, 6:05 PM
Is there a particular reason why?

randy
01-05-2008, 6:06 PM
It's and end of an era. Many a gun smith got there start there and they were one of the first to build custom 45's. If you shot one of theirs you'd throw rocks at many of the other custom name brands.

Equalizer2
01-05-2008, 7:58 PM
That just really sucks!!! I can still remember going there with my Dad when I was just eight years old. I am now 65, it is truly the end of an era.:(:(:(

mike100
01-05-2008, 8:39 PM
Bummer, but I can see why. CA has become a hostile environment for certain types of businesses. Certainly a lot of the good gunsmiths and firearms industry has moved to greener (and cheaper) pastures.

bridgeport
01-05-2008, 8:50 PM
I guess this will mean another RIP sign up on the wall of shame at Angeles Range. It is tough to find good smiths who are willing to work in California
these days,for obvious reasons.

rorschach
01-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Man....I'm at a loss. This is a major disappointment.

TacFan
01-05-2008, 10:55 PM
that sucks. Did they stop taking any orders for work to be done on 1911s ?

bear308
01-06-2008, 12:16 AM
they haven't been accepting work for a while now. Truly a huge blow to the Firearms World.

Randy, remember if you ever sell that old workhorse of yours I called first dibs.

Sgt Raven
01-06-2008, 1:06 AM
An another one falls. I got my first rifle from Harry Sanford's gun shop. :D

ar15barrels
01-06-2008, 1:17 AM
I guess this will mean another RIP sign up on the wall of shame at Angeles Range.

Where is this wall so I can look at it next time I am there?

Fate
01-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Where is this wall so I can look at it next time I am there?

On the side of the rifle line wall as you walk to the men's room. Kinda fitting.

Max-the-Silent
01-06-2008, 10:10 AM
That's a shame.

F. Bob Chow gone, now King's, it truely is the end of an era.

bear308
01-06-2008, 10:14 AM
I guess this will mean another RIP sign up on the wall of shame at Angeles Range. It is tough to find good smiths who are willing to work in California
these days,for obvious reasons.

It's gone now. And it was never a gun store RIP wall, it was a these are stores that supported the range wall. They lost so many they just took em down.

bridgeport
01-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Bear, You can call it whatever you want but that wall is a sure demonstration of the shame that the gun market in california has become with all of those dealers out of business. I know it was intended originally to show support
but now it looks more like a graveyard of memories. This is just my thought,
and I am sure that anybody who has seen it will agree that it is a sad testament.
So now it is gone, well I dont know if that is a good or bad thing as it did represent the historical record.
Today of course, and thanks to a few good men, we have turned over a new leaf here in california.
I hope it continues.

gunsmithcats
01-06-2008, 12:45 PM
IIRC, King's is still doing mailorder for parts, and is looking for a buyer for the store and services. Hopefully, maybe someone can take it up.

bridgeport
01-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Part of the problem is that being a good (or great) gunsmith (mechanic) does not necessarily correspond with being a success at business. Two different things entirely. This is just a general comment and not related to Kings in particular.

CALI-gula
01-06-2008, 2:27 PM
Part of the problem is that being a good (or great) gunsmith (mechanic) does not necessarily correspond with being a success at business. Two different things entirely. This is just a general comment and not related to Kings in particular.

That would apply in the "old days", i.e, pre SB-15/SB-23. Have no doubts that California is specifically making it harder to run a gun store as a profitable business. Most gun stores that remain in CA have been in business for at least 10 to 15 years, or more. Very few start-ups are happening now-days. The only newer gun shop I can think that seems to be growing, and that's likely due to the OLL situation giving them a business injection, is Metro-Shot. I fully expect them to be a well-stocked and typical 9-5 store within the year, rahter than just PPTs and transfers. They are already well on their way. Their website alone is gobs better than it was a year ago at this time. But without the OLL situation? I'm not sure if they would be any bigger or broader at this point.

CWS is also re-establishing a CA location - THANK GOD (or thank Hector at least, or is that one and the same entity?) :D

slowfire
01-06-2008, 2:40 PM
That's kinda like Disneyland closing. There is a rich history at King's Gunworks. It's really a shame.

The rumor has been going around for the last three months, but I guess that I was in denial about it. :(

bridgeport
01-06-2008, 8:45 PM
Caligula, yes you are right about the pre SB days for sure. I think now more than the brick and mortar stores I am speaking to the rennaisance in California much of which is fueled by receivers being purchased through those FFL's willing to do the transfers on off listers ( this is where the "few good men" deal comes in) coupled with the "surge" in home building / assembly
of parts into working cali compliant rifles. Internet sales have for sure put a dent into the brick and mortar business establishment regardless of the product being sold. Also, many a good man sends his arms out of state for
repair or simply back to the factory for warranty work and that does'nt help the local gun mechanic either. Maybe if kings had stepped up to the plate and sold off list receivers and part kits and stuff, they could have attracted the clientele that has ended up at BSP, metroshot , TenP, Gunrunners etc.
and kept up with the times. Oh Well, business is all about decisions and risks,
and of course the number one decision should be to keep the customer, past present and future happy. So, as some close up shop, other new young bucks come and take their rightful place. Thats the way it is and always has been.
Come to think of it though, Maybe they just got tired of working so hard and decided to throw in the towell, I have also heard for a while that they just cant find new guys to come here and do the work and it gets awful lonely behind that bench day after day backlogged to the gills and no apparent way out from under it all. I wish all the folks over there the best
of luck in whatever their decisions for the future are as they are good folks.

apbrian112
01-06-2008, 11:28 PM
man, just when i was just about ready to pick up a 1911 pattern pistol (w/i the next couple of months) what seems to be a honest store with great gunsmiths in my city is closing. i was really looking forward to going down there (5 min drive) and picking stuff up instead of having to order my stuff online. my bul m-5 needs something to shoot .45 with, and while the bul is a 1911 pattern (widebody) pistol, i really wanted to pick up a springfield mil-spec or loaded to work on. best of luck to them with their on-line/mail-order business.

brassburnz
01-13-2008, 7:44 PM
King's is one of my favorite stops. You could have knocked me over with a feather the day I heard that Al had passed. Now this.

Whenever I do a PPT at King's, I always bring them something to say thanks. One time it was movie tickets, a couple of boxes of cookies, etc. The last PPT I did there was right before Halloween, so I stopped by with a big bag of candy from Albertson's.

I'm glad I was able to take my son there and introduce him to the "guys".

ghostwong
01-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Man, It's a sad day for all of us in Souther Cal.

99medic
01-13-2008, 11:33 PM
It's certainly a blow to the firearms community. At least I had two of my Colts worked on by them.

BULLET8071
01-16-2008, 1:27 AM
wow...i just had this handed down to me..he kept bragging about how he spent over $900+ on just parts and smithing from KINGS..you can kinda see their stamp on it..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/fiddyboy818/DSC01279.jpg