PDA

View Full Version : Getting screws loose?

TurboFall
01-05-2008, 4:40 PM
Okay, this probably doesn't even qualify as gunsmithing, but I figured it's the most relevant place to post this.

I just got my Saiga 7.62 courtesy of DDsRanch, and as I was trying to disassemble my rifle, I noticed everything in the gun is really really stuck. Some of the screws on the rifle are starting to shear at the head without so much as budging :mad:

What're some cheap and easy ways to loosen these screws? I don't want to have to drill them out :D

j1133s
01-05-2008, 4:46 PM
Try WD40

Fjold
01-05-2008, 5:15 PM
They might have locktite on them. Take a soldering gun and hold it on the head of the bolt until you get it above 200 degrees that should melt the locktite.

Also, get a screwdriver that fits the slot correctly and put the gun in a padded vise, apply torque with one hand and tap on the screwdriver with a hammer while twisting.

ColdSteel
01-05-2008, 5:18 PM
Also, get a screwdriver that fits the slot correctly and put the gun in a padded vise, apply torque with one hand and tap on the screwdriver with a hammer while twisting.
+1
Works for me.

762cavalier
01-05-2008, 5:41 PM
if they are just stuck try using Kroil or PB blaster. Both are penetrating oils, whereas WD40 is not.

for what its worth though I've had a few screws loose for years:D

M. Sage
01-05-2008, 6:22 PM
+1. WD40 is next to worthless for stuck screws. If you can get it with WD40, you can get it without.

Don't be scared to combine a little heat and a penetrating oil. The heat can make the oil flow better, and get it into the threads. Just don't use too much heat, or an open flame (translation: don't be like me. :p)

Question: Why are you disassembling your new Saiga? There's nothing on an AK that you need to take screws out to clean or maintain.

Heck, the whole rifle is almost "nothing to clean or maintain."

TurboFall
01-05-2008, 9:48 PM
Thanks for the great tips, guys! I'll try them out immediately.

As for why I'm already disassembling, it's mostly due to curiosity at the moment. I just want to crack everything open just because I can :D I do plan on doing a total AK-103 conversion (BBed of course) on it in the future, and getting things loose and ready will just make it easier in the future.

ar15barrels
01-06-2008, 1:43 AM
They might have locktite on them. Take a soldering gun and hold it on the head of the bolt until you get it above 200 degrees that should melt the locktite.

Most loctite needs to get well over 300 to breakdown.
A soldering iron works on small screws, but I usually just use a heatgun or a torch.

TurboFall
01-06-2008, 8:49 AM
Is there any particular reason why my rifle would be loctited? I was under the assumption that loctite was something gun owners used, not factories.

M. Sage
01-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Loctite is something that anybody who doesn't want parts rattling loose would use. Or on fasteners they don't want people monkeying with.

Pulsar
01-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Is there any particular reason why my rifle would be loctited? I was under the assumption that loctite was something gun owners used, not factories.

Don't ever try and take out the action spring tube on a Beretta shotgun then, it's locktited.

On a saiga I would seriously doubt it's locktited, it's probably rusted in place as someone forgot to oil the screw before putting it in.

The tips above are good ones, but if that fails it's time to make a trip to Home Depot and pick up an Impact Screwdriver (about $20) it's basically just a screw driver that you hit like a punch and it applies twist to the bit. The one I got is good to about 200lbs of torque. You will probably have to shape the bit with a dremel or somthing to make it fit the screw slot.