PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone bought a new Mossberg 464?

RDT72
08-22-2013, 10:41 AM
I manipulated the action on one of these and compared it to the new Marlin 336's action. The mossy felt more fluid compared to the Marlin feeling more mechanical. Are the 464s any good? I like the wood stock with pistol grip option.

Super Chicken
08-22-2013, 5:00 PM
+1 on that question.

Super Chicken
08-23-2013, 9:44 PM
No 464 peoples here?

Sweden9
08-24-2013, 5:31 AM
Did not even know they made a lever action 30-30. You might check out Mossberg owners forum.
http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewforum.php?f=23

RDT72
08-24-2013, 8:54 AM
I guess, I went into my local Herb Bauers and the guy behind the counter fed me the "Marlins have been around my entire life" rhetoric, he hadn't heard of the lack of quality control issues. He was pushing me towards the pricier Marlin.

golfish
08-24-2013, 4:35 PM
I manipulated the action on one of these and compared it to the new Marlin 336's action. .

What kind of work did you do to it? I have never shot one but I have heard\read good stuff about em. Some of the Zombie stuff they are doing to em kind of turns me off but kudos to MB for offering these mods.

Got a pitcure?

tmh1
08-24-2013, 7:09 PM
I've got a 464, but, er, not one of the ones with the wood stocks. Yeah, thats right, go ahead and laugh, I'm one of "those people" who actually went out and bought an evil black lever gun!:D

I don't have experience with the current Marlins, so I can't really tell you of any differences. But... my FFL is a long time hunter and gunsmith, and he is very opinionated about the quality and smoothness of various actions. And he specified that the 464 action felt better to him than anything currently coming out of Marlin. So take that for what it is worth - He has a much longer and more extensive gun pedigree then I do.

I haven't shot this gun much - 30-30 was kind of unobtanium for a while, and I was reserving my cache. Plus to me it is not the most fun round to shoot out of a plastic lever gun. But as to the 464's performance for me on the range: Plenty accurate shooting off-handed, never mis-fed a single round (although I am VERY DELIBERATE when I work the action on my lever guns, even when I am going after a little speed shooting), and it went "bang" every time I pulled the trigger. Pretty much all I could ask for.

BTW: For anyone interested in building up a bolt gun he recommends starting with the Howa 1500 action over virtually any other, including Rem 700. Just says that they are smoother and stronger then what's coming out of Remington, Thompson Center, etc.

RDT72
08-26-2013, 1:34 PM
I didn't do any work to the rifle I just cocked the lever back and forth on both the Marlin and Mossberg. I agree with tmh1, the Mossberg felt much smoother and I would probably trust it over the much criticized newer Marlins. tmh1- the tactical levers look alright I just thought the collapsible stocks would be kinda cheap feeling, but I have never handled one of those.

Cal44mag
11-04-2013, 1:31 PM
I just bought a 30-30 464.

Haven't gotten it to the range yet.

Fit and finish is very nice. Perhaps a bit better than some current Marlins.

I don't buy the Marlin has been around forever line as they now have new owners.

The beginning with Remington seems a bit rough, but Remington should eventually get things sorted you would think.

Now I have two Mossys -- a 464 and a 500.

breath007
11-05-2013, 6:45 PM
I will keep it in mind thanks for sharing the information.