PDA

View Full Version : Ruger M77 hawkeye 30-06

Usmc111001
08-22-2013, 8:14 AM
Don't know much about this rifle and was wondering if its worth getting. Any info would help as I'm seeing mixed opinions on the Internet. Some say the accuracy is good some say its crap. Anyone have experience with one? Also what would be a good price for a used one? Thanks

Divernhunter
08-22-2013, 1:01 PM
It is a good rifle.
Consider that sometimes it is the shooter and not the rifle for the accuracy. Also there may be some rifles that the QC was not as good. I can say I have found this true in the Rem rifles. Most seem good but then there is that one every so often.
Also the rifle that will not shoot: The quality of the scope? The quality and proper mounting of the rings/bases? Ruger has built in bases and the rings that are good. The shooter and how they are shooting? Off a good rest with a good shooter. I have taken rifles that "will not shoot " and after checking(often fixing) the scope bases/rings and stock screws I can get them to shoot well. Sometimes I have to replace the scope(usually a cheap one) with one of my extra scopes that I know works and then it shoots.
Consider this also. I have several rifles which will group 3-5 shots into one ragged hole when I am on my game. Other days I am lucky to get a 3" group with the same rifle/ammo. I know mine is often low blood suger(diabetic) or another medical issue I have. What about the next guy.

Awhile back I went to the range with a friend. He had a Rem SPS rifle and was all over the paper. He said the rifle would not shoot. I took the rifle and his ammo and put 3 into less than .5" using only a front sandbag. Another day he was hitting small targets at 200 yards with it. Good accurate rifle or not? Depended on the day and shooter.

What you read online is pretty subjective and often by people who are very under qualified to make such a judgment.

Usmc111001
08-22-2013, 1:41 PM
^^thanks for the input. Very much appreciated.

bigchinner
09-03-2013, 11:27 PM
same negative things were said about mini-14s and i've shot clay pigeons at 50 and 100 yards with open sights off-handed and from a sandbag. Rugers are every bit what a solid rifle should be. The hawkeyes are the shorter version with 26 inch barrels i think. They discounted a lot of them.
definitely shooter and ammo unless the rifle shoots "bad" for more than 2 people.

NorCalFocus
09-04-2013, 9:46 PM
I'm going to say about 400-500 for a used price.

My dad has 3 M77's. My favorite is his bull barrel 6mm. Great rifles.