PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 Worry

rugerp345
08-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Here is a dumb question, but I will ask anyway. If you are loading a Lever action 30-30 and the bullets are all in line with each other. What are the chances of pushing the last bullet into the primer of the next bullet and causing it to ignite? Especially with the ballistic tip bullets. Does anyone know or had experience with this.

smittty
08-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Not with the rubber tipped or flat nose bullets but if someone loaded up some pointy tip bullets it could be a hazardous.

evlblkrfl
08-21-2013, 11:00 PM
The ONLY pointed bullets you can shoot safley shoot from the magazine of a tube fed rifle are Hornady flex tips. You can single load whatever.

evlblkrfl
08-21-2013, 11:02 PM
The ONLY pointed bullets you can shoot safley from the magazine of a tube fed rifle are Hornady flex tips. You can single load whatever.

NorCalFocus
08-22-2013, 7:11 AM
You're correct , the wrong bullet in a 30/30 lever will cause a problem.

If you want ammo with some punch for the lever action, get Hornaday's Lever-lution (sp?).

44fred
08-22-2013, 7:14 AM
OP
If you have an interest in lever guns, please visit the Marlin Owners Forum.
Great group of guys that are loaded with knowledge.

guns4life
08-22-2013, 7:17 AM
That's why I got the Browning BLR, box mag lets you load whatever.

rugerp345
08-22-2013, 7:25 AM
I just bought a Glenfield 30a which is in jail till Monday. Haven't shot it yet but I have the Hornady Lever Revolution flex tips. Just worried about an accident discharge.

gunboat
08-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Pointed nose bullets could cause a problem in tubular magazines -
If you do want to use them load only two rounds into the magazine, that gives you one shot and a follow up with no chance of a mishap.
my tuppence

killshot44
08-22-2013, 9:12 PM
I just bought a Glenfield 30a which is in jail till Monday. Haven't shot it yet but I have the Hornady Lever Revolution flex tips*. Just worried about an accident discharge.

As far as I'm aware, these are the only* bullets advertised to work in conjunction with tubular magazines.

Do NOT use conventional FMJ, pointed bullets in ANY tube-fed lever-action Centerfire.

Unless you really don't care about having a support hand and both eyes....

gunboat
08-22-2013, 9:41 PM
I certainly agree that a pointed bullet could discharge the bullet ahead of it in the magazine, especially with a hot load and a lot of recoil.
However, I don't think it is an absolute certainty --
Can anyone cite an actual accident ? Not just hearsay.
Remington resolved the issue with a spiral tube mag -
The French resolved it with an annular ring in the base of the 8mm lebel cartridge.

drh777
08-23-2013, 5:59 AM
You are just fine running the flex tip rounds in your 30/30. I run flat nose, soft point, and flex tip( ie. lever-evolution, zombie-max) all work great especially the flex tip... Very accurate. Just a side not you didn't specifically mention the model or age of the 30/30 you purchased. If its an older marlin you should check to see that it has the updated dished style mag tube follower.... If it does not then you may run into feeding issues on the last round out of the tube when using flex tip rounds.

rugerp345
08-23-2013, 6:02 AM
It was made in 1978, not sure if its been updated.

'ol shooter
08-23-2013, 7:56 AM
Another interesting site for Lever Lovers. :)

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/

smle-man
08-23-2013, 5:59 PM
I certainly agree that a pointed bullet could discharge the bullet ahead of it in the magazine, especially with a hot load and a lot of recoil.
However, I don't think it is an absolute certainty --
Can anyone cite an actual accident ? Not just hearsay.
Remington resolved the issue with a spiral tube mag -
The French resolved it with an annular ring in the base of the 8mm lebel cartridge.

Yes, and not only should you not use pointed bullets in a tube magazine (except for the Remington 14 or 141 series and the Lebel with the proper ammunition) I saw a warning and pictures in the American Rifleman some years ago where they were testing a handgun caliber lever rifle with FMJ flat point ammo in the tube. The FMJ bullets had a slight curve to the center tip and that was enough to touch off at least one round and maybe more. The forearm and magazine tube were pretty much missing in the picture.

drh777
08-23-2013, 7:05 PM
It was made in 1978, not sure if its been updated.

You want yours to look like the one on the right. Dished face with dimple :D

ty_w_massey
08-23-2013, 8:45 PM
They're called spitzer rounds.

otteray
08-28-2013, 6:09 PM
Maybe the primers of long ago were more sensitive than the newer ones are now.

Kokopelli
08-28-2013, 6:55 PM
What are the chances of pushing the last bullet into the primer of the next bullet and causing it to ignite?

Even the gun writers disagree on this subject. I've got one lever gun article where the writer attempted to get a bullet tip to detonate the primer of the round ahead of it in the magazine. I think he finally succeeded when the rifle was dropped 20 vertically onto a concrete floor, allowing the butt to strike the ground first.

In the 1980's, I used to load the Sierra 125 gr Sprizer in my Win 94 and used the gun as a two shot. With one in the chamber, there's only one in the mag for a followup.

If you want to use pointy bullets, the aforementioned Hornady LeverEvolution 160 grain fodder is excellent stuff. :)

nastyhabts26
08-28-2013, 7:03 PM
Lever revolution or round or flat tipped bullets only please.
We want to keep you around for a while.

smle-man
08-28-2013, 7:54 PM
Lever revolution or round or flat tipped bullets only please.
We want to keep you around for a while.

Round or flat tipped soft nose; see the earlier post about the danger of FMJ bullets in tube magazines.