PDA

View Full Version : Is the NRA worth joining?

dotchoy
01-05-2008, 8:58 AM
Doesn't seem to me that they have any power here in California?

Hopi
01-05-2008, 9:03 AM
Use the search function to find the huge positive impact the NRA has had on our continued fight for freedoms....California would be as fascist as England if it weren't for the war being waged against the gun grabbers.....

Spiggy
01-05-2008, 9:16 AM
plus you get a subscription to some good bathroom material when you sign up!

dustoff31
01-05-2008, 9:22 AM
Some might argue that they don't do all they can, but the fact is that they have accomplished more than any other pro-gun organization. Especially in California.

Hopi
01-05-2008, 9:30 AM
Some might argue that they don't do all they can, but the fact is that they have accomplished more than any other pro-gun organization. Especially in California.
Some might argue that those are the people that didn't use the search function.....:p

dadoody
01-05-2008, 9:32 AM
Only 5% of Americans who own firearms are members of the NRA.

Those 5% have done much much more than the rest of the 95% to protect and in some cases advance gun rights in all states.

hoffmang
01-05-2008, 9:36 AM
CA NRA is *very* active and hugely supportive of everything Calguns does and does a tremendous amount of work behind the scenes to stop bad bills and even get good bills through.

Last session NRA got a new law passed that keeps California from performing Katrina style gun confiscations for example: http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/fairfax/ab1645signed/

-Gene

Blue
01-05-2008, 9:38 AM

+1 and I'd rather put my money on the biggest dog in the fight too.

4 Brigada
01-05-2008, 9:40 AM
Those 5% have done much much more than the rest of the 95% to protect and in some cases advance gun rights in all states.

Statistics can represent what you want them to, in this case how many of those in 95%, vote and if they do vote, vote on gun issues and/or for legislators that support gun ownership and the second amendment. 5% can do but so much, the real power is in that 95%. Im a member of the NRA.

Rob454
01-05-2008, 9:51 AM
I joined because no matter what we need a lobby group. Also I like the american hunter mag.
Rob

USN CHIEF
01-05-2008, 10:43 AM
I like the american rifleman mag.

wilit
01-05-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm always curious as to why people say the NRA isn't active in CA. Because we have gun laws enacted by legislators against the will of the people? I'm sorry, but no amount of lobbying is going to change that.

Join the NRA and join the team for the big win. :)

rmeyer
01-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Just make sure you have a big mailbox because once you join the flood of junkmail comes.

hoffmang
01-05-2008, 12:28 PM
You can ask the NRA to not send you tons of mail or to not call. I've done it simply because I get too much mail as is. Just call the member service number.

-Gene

mxndrnks
01-05-2008, 12:28 PM
:threadjacked: Quick question for the old timer NRA members.... a few years ago I let my NRA membership expire. (I was pretty poor at the time). I want to renew it now or join up again. I have sent a couple of emails to the NRA asking them if I can renew with my old number or if I have to join as a new member. I have never recieved a response...... any insight? I am sort of frustrated I can not get a response out of them..... :rockon:

maxicon
01-05-2008, 12:30 PM
They're the single most effective gun rights organization in the world. They have their warts and problems, but every American gun owner should be a member - no excuses.

There's just no other effective alternative. Do it. Do it now!

ocabj
01-05-2008, 12:37 PM
NRA membership is a requirement if you plan on shooting in NRA approved/registered matches since your member number is your competitor number.

TonyNorCal
01-05-2008, 12:46 PM
The NRA certainly isn't perfect (but what in life is). However, it is the most influential organization fighting for our gun rights. If you care about your right to own firearms it is worth joining. When it comes to politcial influence numbers are power and having x million members means something. Each person counts.

I know in California, with our draconian laws, one can wonder what they're done for us. But, as others have said, they do fight here and fight hard. California is so anti-gun/liberal that even the best efforts aren't going to turn us into Texas.

The NRA also fights on the federal level. And, federal laws impact us all. Remember the Clinton gun ban? Want to see another?

I frequent a few internet gun forums and when this topic comes up people always bring up the flood of mail the NRA sends. Well, as Hoffmang said, you can call the NRA and ask them not to mail you these things. I hardly get any mail from them.

I think that being a gun owner there's a lot more in favor of joining the NRA than not

hoffmang
01-05-2008, 1:00 PM
Also, its far easier to drive changes at NRA by being a member in the first place.

-Gene

rivviepop
01-05-2008, 1:02 PM
I too am very interested in hearing the positive (and negative! let's hear 'em) views on joining the NRA, because personally I've "almost done it" a few times but backed off because of one thing they support or another than conflicts with another interest of mine. I tend to confuse some rabid gun owners (not necessarily Calgunners)(*) because I'm a *liberal* (in the Libertarian sense, limited government and strong constitutional beliefs) gun owner - so there are conflicts in what the NRA might do in isolated circumstances which don't jive with my other beliefs. But of course I *want* to be part of positive change, I'm a card-carrying ACLU, EFF, SPCA (heh) and AMA (motorcyclist not medical) member and realize that every organization has things you don't quite agree with (like I'm sorta anti-dirtbike and don't like that part about the AMA). There's a stigma that surrounds me regarding the NRA and I really do want to join, but am just not sure.

Almost like the X-Files, I want to believe.

EDIT:
(*) clarification since I don't want to accidentally offend; what I mean by that are comments (I see these a lot on Flickr, I'm in the different Guns groups) like "damn liberal commies are taking our guns!" - dude, I'm a liberal gun owner. chill.

hoffmang
01-05-2008, 1:23 PM
Dude, as an EFF supporter who sees their warts, there are no worse warts at the NRA. I've only had two beefs with NRA national (and none w/ CA NRA). One beef is that they could be a bit more polished in controlling how they position certain things - granted that polish could alienate the base at the margins. The second beef was that they allowed Hallbrook to get territorial on Parker/Heller early on. That has since been remedied when a whole bunch of NRA members like me made it clear that there would be hell to pay if the NRA didn't support Levy and Gura.

If you care about the Second Amendment as much as you clearly care about the first you must be an NRA member period.

-Gene

Hopi
01-05-2008, 1:28 PM
"damn liberal commies are taking our guns!" - dude, I'm a liberal gun owner. chill.

That's almost sig-line caliber.....

williamd
01-05-2008, 3:07 PM
Some folks ar anti-NRA ... but they owe much to the NRA!! What other organization carries the load and lobbies for us? It may not be perfect but it is worthy of support.

cactus
01-05-2008, 3:33 PM
I think its simple together we stand divides we fall. Your support is vital because the NRA is the only strong outfit that washington listens to. The media wants you to say " I like what the NRA does but I dont believe in all there views". This is the same tactic as what does any one need a fifty caliber for anyways? Or A true gun enthusiest and hunter would not need more than 10 rounds. Keep in mind here in california the media isnt always going to tell us what the NRA is up to. One good thing the NRA will do for you is keep you informed on local laws you need to watch out for. Hell its 25 to 35 bucks a year for your voice to be heard that alone is worth it! As for not agreeing with all there views; nobody does but if we unify we have a strong voice! Also when you send your check to the NRA you know what its for, be careful for outfits baiting you with if dont agree with the NRA join us. Its rumored the Brady campaign under a different name solicited funds from gun owners with this same tactic. Sorry for the rant but joining the NRA is the best thing you can do as a gun owner and odvios second amendment supporter if your posting here.

762cavalier
01-05-2008, 5:22 PM
I worked at the Sacramento gun show today trying to enlist more NRA members. We had an OK turnout, but I also heard every excuse under the sun as to why not to join. My favorite one today was "It's a scam" I asked the guy why he said that and he didn't give an answer. I then asked him who he was going to blame when he wasn't able to go to a gun show anymore. Again no response. Some people are just thick.

At the gunshow today we were offering membership for 25 dollars and free admission to the show, which made membership effectively 14 dollars as entry into the show was 11 dollars.

The simple fact is NRA is the largest entity for 2A rights, has national recognition and a lot of influence in DC. They are also the only 2A organization where the people in charge are elected by the membership. Members absolutely have a say in what NRA does. Try getting that with CRPA, GOA, JPFO or others.

Also a reminder to those NRA members out there to get involved with your local members council.

rkt88edmo
01-05-2008, 5:52 PM
Yes, it is worth joining.

liketoshoot
01-05-2008, 7:26 PM
I finaly joined last year and except for the junk mail I'm very happy to suport them as they DO help to protect our 2nd A rights.
I like to shoot alot and feel even if you only go once a year you need them to fight for you against dumb laws. They are effective not perfect but effective.
I just wish all gun owners would join and then demand that our politicans backed the 2nd A. With the number of gun owners out there it would be a loud voice.
This is one of the things I will look for in the canidate that I'm going to vote for.

dotchoy
01-05-2008, 7:35 PM
Check in the mail:D

01-05-2008, 9:20 PM
Simple answer is YES.

MedSpec65
01-05-2008, 9:28 PM
Yes, please join the NRA. I'm a life member and continue to help fund NRA-ILA programs that lobby for us. They ARE effective.

bluestaterebel
01-06-2008, 4:12 AM
i have been pondering bout this for a while, guess its time to join:gunsmilie:

gmcal
01-06-2008, 10:00 AM
I too am very interested in hearing the positive (and negative! let's hear 'em) views on joining the NRA, because personally I've "almost done it" a few times but backed off because of one thing they support or another than conflicts with another interest of mine. I tend to confuse some rabid gun owners (not necessarily Calgunners)(*) because I'm a *liberal* (in the Libertarian sense, limited government and strong constitutional beliefs) gun owner - so there are conflicts in what the NRA might do in isolated circumstances which don't jive with my other beliefs. But of course I *want* to be part of positive change, I'm a card-carrying ACLU, EFF, SPCA (heh) and AMA (motorcyclist not medical) member and realize that every organization has things you don't quite agree with (like I'm sorta anti-dirtbike and don't like that part about the AMA). There's a stigma that surrounds me regarding the NRA and I really do want to join, but am just not sure.

Almost like the X-Files, I want to believe.

EDIT:
(*) clarification since I don't want to accidentally offend; what I mean by that are comments (I see these a lot on Flickr, I'm in the different Guns groups) like "damn liberal commies are taking our guns!" - dude, I'm a liberal gun owner. chill.

rivviepop,

I found myself in your shoes not too long ago. Basically, I didn't want my money going to the Republican Party. But the current legislature and governor in CA made it easy for me to decide to join the NRA. Take a look at what our legislature and governor are doing or trying to do to our gun rights and ask yourself if you find it acceptable. If you don't, you should join the NRA.

rivviepop
01-06-2008, 10:15 AM
I found myself in your shoes not too long ago. Basically, I didn't want my money going to the Republican Party. But the current legislature and governor in CA made it easy for me to decide to join the NRA. Take a look at what our legislature and governor are doing or trying to do to our gun rights and ask yourself if you find it acceptable. If you don't, you should join the NRA.

No argument there, gmcal - no argument there. I am reading and listening and will admit I'm starting to get a better feeling about joining. I respect many of the "lawyer-like" Calgunners here (that's a compliment, guys :) ) who have consistent, good views and knowledge and take their comments to heart. I realize that part of the issue is to overcome my own prejudices about the NRA and look at the bigger picture - am I willing to accept a few cuts & bruises in return for healing a broken arm or leg, e.g.

fal_762x51
01-06-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm seeing the NRA warming up to military style firearm collectors. They have the ability to lobby, which does more then my membership to GOA and JPOF. I'm thinking about joining, but I just need to know.

hawk81
01-06-2008, 12:29 PM
If you like their magazines, then you should join.

DrjonesUSA
01-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Is the NRA worth joining?

Absolutely, unless you do not like guns or gun rights.

rivviepop
01-17-2008, 7:17 PM
Hunter is offering Calgunners a deal right now:

WT Offer: NRA Life Memberships - $300!!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=82833

rue
01-18-2008, 7:53 PM
About 4 years ago I lost my health insurance while changing jobs. I was on some medication and had to refill my prescription shortly after the coverage ended and I noticed the back of my NRA card said some % off of prescription meds if you present your member card. Since I had no health coverage I figured what the hell and gave them my card at the local Walgreens. The guy looked at me funny and called the number on the card and walked up and discounted the presciption like $50. I looked at my GF and said damn a $25 membership just got me $50 off my prescription! I love the NRA!
I don't know if that's still a part of membership but it's nice if you have to use it. Not only that but they used to have some kind of insurance that came with membership if a firearm was stolen from you. I can't remember the details but it was explained to me when I signed up. Not a big deal now for me since I have homeowner's insurance now but at the time I was a renter and that was the icing on the cake for me when I joined.
I need to renew mine once again.

aileron
01-18-2008, 9:50 PM

That has got to be the biggest truth about being a member. :D

ghostwong
01-19-2008, 12:11 AM
+1. I joined the other day.

Simple answer is YES.

ViPER395
01-19-2008, 5:26 AM
Maybe i'll have to join when I get an extra $30 in a couple weeks.

I forgot about the free subscription.

Rhys898
01-21-2008, 12:36 AM
They are running a renewal promo right now and I just signed up for 5 years for $100, and I get a free watch, add that to the 5 years of "bathroom reading material" and the $100 was more than well spent. If I had the funds right now I would do the life membership.

Jer