PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Marketplace Layout

Kestryll
08-21-2013, 3:02 PM
As much as I like the idea of splitting the Marketplace I'm not sure I'm happy with the Long Gun/Handgun split.
There are several threads that have both a handgun and a long gun, what happens to them and do we make/allow multiple threads per user one in each forum?

I need to think about this a bit, as difficult as it is I think a North/South split might be better in the long run.

I can see it working one of two ways:
A stated line, if you're above Fresno it's Nor cal, below Fresno it's So Cal.
Or a seller based option, if you consider where you live So Cal post it in that forum, same for Nor Cal Calgunners.

I'm going to discuss this with the Mods but in addition to that I want to see what the people who use the marketplace prefer.

seal20
08-21-2013, 3:18 PM
I think a type of firearm split is more user friendly. Yes, users will post in each section if they have a long gun and a pistol for sale. Just like now, posting accessories and the firearm in separate sections with multiple threads.

tbblizzard
08-21-2013, 3:19 PM
NorCal/SoCal split would be preferred.

SanDiegoMan
08-21-2013, 3:21 PM
I agree a regional split makes sense. Most sellers these days don't want to ship.

DocSpaulding
08-21-2013, 4:08 PM
Yeah, the log gun/handgun split is nice but with most people posting multiple firearms it dose not make sense to kill space with the two while if you split it geographical/seller choice(might be out of town for the month.) you make it a hole lot easier for the end user to figure out weather he is in a location that even allows for the meet. After all how many times have we all seen the infamous "location?" bump.lol

thomashoward
08-21-2013, 4:38 PM
I had a pistol listing that ended up in long-guns. I had to migrate it myself.
Long gun /short gun split is OK. people still do not put North or South in their post heading though. cant have everything or there would be 50 forums

Gryff
08-21-2013, 4:39 PM
Geographic split makes a LOT of sense, since anything more than 100 miles away from a buyer is pretty much a deal breaker since it takes two trips to buy the gun/take possession of it.

Mr. Magoo
08-21-2013, 4:40 PM
Option 3 is for me.

DrjonesUSA
08-21-2013, 4:44 PM
I'm torn, I like the long gun/handgun split, but it's true that many sellers don't want to ship.

Then again, it's also kind of nice to just see everything in one forum too...

STR8 Shooter
08-21-2013, 4:53 PM
Geographic split makes a LOT of sense, since anything more than 100 miles away from a buyer is pretty much a deal breaker since it takes two trips to buy the gun/take possession of it.

I agree, but it needs to be limited to major metro areas, like how Craigslist is set up. I wouldn't travel half the state to make a deal happen.

CSACANNONEER
08-21-2013, 4:55 PM
It really needs to be split up into only two categories, What CSA is going to buy and everything else. I'm just tired of looking through adds for items I don't want and this would help me to stop wasting time.

BTW, I've driven to the Bay Area and Sac. to buy items and even to deliver them so, I don't like the idea of a geographic split at all. In fact, I tend to drive 6-8 hours North far more often than 2 hours South. Since I'm usually just looking for a deal, I'd rather not have to look too many places for it. I say, leave it in one big forum.

bender152
08-21-2013, 4:57 PM
I like the split between handguns and long guns. Just as we do now, allow one active "for sale" thread in each section.

As for location, are there any vbulletin mods that would require the poster to specify location before being able to create a new thread?

-edit- Here's an idea... if you can make the "post icons" required (these are the icons that show up to the left of the thread title), you can edit the icon images to represent different sections of CA. (Make them images that say "norcal", "socal", "central", etc.)

micf3e
08-21-2013, 5:01 PM
I voted for the long gun/hand gun split. The more I think about it the north/south split is probably better. I have found many guns I would have jumped on but they end up being to far to meet.

BlackSpork
08-21-2013, 5:26 PM
IMHO leave it one big forum or hg/lg split. My reasoning is this, sometimes when I'm looking for something, I come across something else I want that I wasn't looking for and end up buying that. This happened when I was looking for my next glock, I found the perfect deal on my xds.

MODS;
It's like accidental advertising. Also, if we enforce "location" somehow that would solve that question. Or maybe make "location in heading" mandatory.

2nab
08-21-2013, 6:03 PM
I think there is a large enough market to see a rimfire only split. Allow a user to have one thread in each rimfire and centerfire.

North vs South CA is tough but possible (many travel both or live in middle, will ship, etc.).
but I see the handgun vs long gun working as long as users can post in each. It is more work for those browsing to buy.

I do think that rimfire vs centerfire is a cleaner line to split the forums with.

Previous poster referenced location. While location in title is visible, a drop down catergory for "region" within the same forum would be extremely valuable for searching or browsing. Simply require each sale thread to pick from a predetermined choice of region.

XenosAce
08-21-2013, 6:20 PM
I say we should do it by caliber :43:

In seriousness I like the long gun/handgun split. I feel like alot of people are browsing to buy. While a region split would be cool, it does not make to much sense. For example some one living in San Diego is going to have to make approx hour drive for someone in fresno. I have always wanted the split between long gun/handgun though. So I am bias to it.

monsterhook
08-21-2013, 6:35 PM
I like the Long Gun/Handgun split.

As long as the seller remembers to put the Location into the add, like the rules state.

ebigga67
08-21-2013, 6:38 PM
I think the N. Cal./S. Cal split would work since most people prefer not to ship. It's irritating to see a firearm you're interested in only to click the link to find out its down south and they won't ship.

midvalleyshooter
08-21-2013, 7:17 PM
I voted for geographical split. I will no longer have to yearn for a good deal in Socal:)

Thanks Kestryll

tmorse
08-21-2013, 7:24 PM
I am typically looking for the right thing. It is kind of I'll know it when I see it. and want to see both long guns and handguns in the same section. Would much rather see a geographic split since I am only going to do a FTF transfer and guns for sale in southern California are pretty much off limits to me.

eville
08-21-2013, 7:25 PM
If the buyer is willing to ship what does geographic location mean?

03fatboy
08-21-2013, 7:45 PM
After using the pistol and long gun split, I don't like it, especially when someone is selling both.

I have been a fan of the NorCal and SoCal split for awhile now and it makes better sense, then sellers can lump all they want to sell according to region. I also hate getting psyched out when I think I found one I want and then discover its up north, AwShucks.

Go with the north and south division and never look back, at least give it a try and change it if for reasons it doesn't work out. Thanks for the consideration and trying something new.

dpop24
08-21-2013, 7:49 PM
I like the NorCal/SoCal split.

03fatboy
08-21-2013, 7:51 PM
If the buyer is willing to ship what does geographic location mean?

Lets face it, shipping a firearms is the least likely option or occurrence I think, although it happens, it's an expense that usually makes it a bad deal.

rogerthedodger
08-21-2013, 7:53 PM
I like the split of long guns-handguns. I for one have no interest in rifles. It would be better if the ad required location, as I always do a sort on Fresno. Thanks for the change.

Pauliedad
08-21-2013, 7:59 PM
So I've been using marketplace for my long gun purchases (pre 2014 stock up) and always scan everything for some kind of deal. When location is listed in heading (close to me, northern ca) I always look.
I'd like to see location in heading (if they won't ship) but what really annoys me is multiple gun listings. One will sell and I still have to scroll through the thread to see which one is gone. Usually the one I want. Seems fine with accessories and parts but each firearm should have its own posting.
I do like seeing what's available down south. Kind of keeps things in perspective. Plus, if its that awesome, road trip!
Really dig the forum and how fast you delete the knuckle heads.
Paul

Pablo5959
08-21-2013, 8:03 PM
I checked it out today. I like the new split handgun/ long gun. Weeding out the locations is not bad. I like to compare prices between north and south.
If it was split up more, there would be only 1 or 2 pages. And no need to bump a post.

RJ7
08-21-2013, 8:42 PM
I like the split , but I've noticed there are still a lot of handguns listed on the long gun layout . If I have to check out both of them anyway I would rather have them in one. Hopefully everyone will learn to list the proper item in the proper marketplace.

Leadingall
08-21-2013, 9:09 PM
thumbs up on the split...

DSB
08-21-2013, 9:39 PM
Regional.

five.five-six
08-21-2013, 9:46 PM
bothe handgun longgun and geographical.

GlennG31
08-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Hey, Kes. I'm liking the new handgun / long gun split, but I can see the dilemma where someone has both types of guns in their ad. Which forum do they put their ad in? I know one of the Marketplace rules is to consolidate all of a person's sales into one ad to keep the clutter down. But if you stick with the handgun / long gun split, how about amending that rule to allow a person to post a separate ad in each forum if he/she has both a handgun and a long gun to sell?

Lone_Gunman
08-21-2013, 10:26 PM
I actually like it split by long gun/hand gun. It makes it much easier. I would support requiring the location (city/county) in the title.

CA is just too damned big to have it split NorCal and SoCal. Somebody in Sacramento is a 7 hour drive from Eureka, but they're both NorCal. Just either split it long gun/hand gun and require a location in the title or put it back he old way and require a location.

1recluse
08-21-2013, 10:32 PM
I would say it is a numbers game that should not be hard to define. Number of handguns vs rifle ads, numbers of north verse south which works out best for CalGuns on their data used?

Personally for me I want to know about 1911's sold state wide. I keep a database of guns that interest me throughout the state. As CSA said I will drive hours if I want it twice, so north or south is not a deal breaker.

jimdelmar
08-21-2013, 10:34 PM
I like long gun / hand gun. Location should be REQUIRED in the title though.

shotcaller6
08-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Long gun / hand gun is OK, however all in one works as well. I do think regional is a great idea as well. I would suggest as North, Central and South, with the North extending from the Oregon border to Santa Rosa , the Central extending to Fresno.

bubbapug1
08-21-2013, 11:21 PM
Handgun long gun split only.

Don't split it north south as some buyers DO ship an I don't want to miss a great deal because I have to look in 4 forums!

ColdDeadHands1
08-21-2013, 11:46 PM
Gosh darnit! Personally, I do not want a geographical split. Why? People travel, people ship. Even people that don't want to ship may do so eventually.

Rather than split the forum, REQUIRE that location be stated in the thread title.

Sorry Kes, but I do not like the new format of the 2A and Firearm Sales forums. What I could once browse in two forums now takes me five. This will lead to me skipping forums and ultimately missing topics / ads that I would have previously read.

Ubermcoupe
08-22-2013, 12:01 AM
While I prefer the NCal/SCal split, I really like the idea of location in the title thread.

“NCal: WTS Ruger mini 14 & SA XDS stainless” or even “NC: WTS SMolt 686 stainless” ;)

At the end of the day, i’ll be browsing both (http://www.revitforum.org/attachments/forum-suggestions-feedback/8351d1339274585t-facepalm-smiley-facepalm.gif) and may be willing to drive down south for a gun or two, but most often than not, i’ll be up here in NCal.

Let me know if you need help keeping the subject lines divided Kes :thumbsup:

Tanner68
08-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Location required in title.... that's it. The geographic split is only a partial fix and creates new issues. Some will live near the split. Others will live in the far north or south aren't helped much.

SOAR79
08-22-2013, 1:03 AM
what a headache!

EXTREMEOPS1
08-22-2013, 3:41 AM
Norcal and Socal option 3 for me

Equis
08-22-2013, 3:59 AM
Please no geographical split, how hard is it to just google up the location, and decide if its too far for you. I like the original recipe, as long as someone puts their location it's not bad. The long gun, handgun split, I see new posts in the long gun for handguns. I'd stay with the keep it super simple rule, I'm already checking double just in case I missed something if someone incorrectly posted in the wrong category.

Then we got this whole NorCal, SoCal, and Bay Area. I've never considered the Bay Area any kind of NorCal, it's just then Bay. In relation to LA, San Diego, I guess we're NorCal, but then where does it start, and where does it end?

Brandon04GT
08-22-2013, 4:06 AM
I much preferred the older style. One forum for everything. Makes it easy to keep an eye out for deals lol!

But really...the firearm marketplace thread template was made in such a way that anyone can use hover their cursor over the title and get all the essential info they needed.

zfields
08-22-2013, 5:59 AM
Just leave it as is and require better ad titles.

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

five.five-six
08-22-2013, 9:24 AM
Location required in title.... that's it. The geographic split is only a partial fix and creates new issues. Some will live near the split. Others will live in the far north or south aren't helped much.

Yea, county in the title mandatory. I might drive further for a colt than a bersa :shrug: But I generally only buy PPT so I am not interested in shipping.

joefrank64k
08-22-2013, 9:36 AM
I'm another for "back to all-in-one"...I can't count how many great deals I've got on a gun when I was looking for another!

I do think that requiring (maybe enforcing through vBulletin?) a location in the OP header may help some. Ex: If I see a deal on a Bryco Jennings .25ACP in NC, I'll probably pass. But if it's on a Dan Wesson Pistol Pac in NC, I'd check it out.

calif 15-22
08-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Hey Kes,
Another vote for SoCal and NorCal. Handguns and long guns combined. As it is now you have to search both anyway when a seller has a handgun and long gun in the same ad.

As others have stated most transactions are face to face and if you are really hunting for that allusive gun you can always search both forums.

Also ever consider adding a listing fee? Say $10 bucks or so to weed out the riff raft and flakes and give Calguns some revenue based on sales. I would be more than happy to pay $10 to list something for sale.

NorCal and SoCal for me!

TheChisel
08-22-2013, 2:34 PM
I agree with others as far as the mandatory location in the thread title.

Requiring a location prefix for every thread title negates the need for a split when most of us will not look at offerings that are too far away anyways.

dpop67
08-22-2013, 4:03 PM
I prefer the one marketplace for handguns and long guns. I would prefer a split between regions unless we can add location into the title. If County was in the title and we could pull a search it would narrow down the area people are willing to travel too.

I live East of Sacramento, but have driven to Vacaville and Pleasant Hill for the right deal.

2nab
08-22-2013, 4:39 PM
Nothing wrong with the long gun / hand gun split as long as user can post in each catergory. Regarding location: The easiest and most efficient way to search and browse is if the seller picks their region from a list of pre-determined regions in a separate data field from the title. Buyer then in their search or browse window simply checks the region or regions they wish to include in their search.

Picking from a predetermined list of regions is the only way to ensure 100% inclusion. The problem with simply including location in the title is there is no consistency and a buyers search will never be entirely comprehensive.

Yes location is visible in title but it is not adequately searchable. Unavoidably, people will spell wrong or used different names for same City (SanFran, San Francisco, SF), making search less comprehensive. Plus it does not include the neighboring areas you may be willing to drive to. Example: If I live in San Francisco I may be willing to drive to San Jose Area which of course would also mean I'd like to see items in Milpitas, Redwood city, Campbell, LosGatos, Palo Alto, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Fremont, etc. That is a lot of separate searches to try to find something and still no guarantee that my searches will be comprehensive.

In comparison, selecting a pre-determined region in a separate data field would allow for a comprehensive search. While searching, a potential buyer simply checks a box for each region they wish to include in the search. There is no chance for misspellings or not knowing the name of every small town within the region to search by.

This type of data field is common for search queries.
It allows everything to remain in one forum and drastically improves search accuracy, search relevance, and inclusiveness.

Since we are talking about improving the marketplace, why not also have check boxes for caliber, how about a check box for type of firearm (handgun, rifle, shotgun)? why not manufacturer? Then everything can stay in one location and users can select which item specifics they want to browse or search.

Heck, put the entire marketplace together in one forum and allow the user to narrow a search however they want. Allow me to search "colt" and then based on which boxes I check (handgun, rifle, parts and accessories) everything with colt in the title will be in one search. I can then narrow that even further by checking the two or three regions I may travel between.

I'd be willing to help in this endeaver if anyone wishes to contact me. I have a strong background in database creation and in creating data queries.

naeco81
08-22-2013, 4:40 PM
Reposting this here because we have two threads about this poll... already this is a problem!

Problem with splitting is the formation of more than one marketplace; people having to post in multiple places, bump in multiple places, and search in multiple places (imagine if I want to find SoCal sellers that will ship). It's also more work for the moderators.

Kestryll: I have seen some forums where the thread title is automatically generated based on selections from a drop down during the new thread process. I think that would be our best solution if vBulletin supports this. Here's how it might work:

All threads in the marketplace require geographic location and yes/no to shipping. This info is then automatically inserted in the title. For example "[SoCal][Ship] WTS: H&K P7M8" for a seller down south that is willing to ship. Alternatively "[NorCal] WTS: H&K P7M8" would indicate a seller up north that only wants FTF.

Generally speaking the goal should be as few forums as possible to contain the discussions had, IMO. I believe this would be a better way to avoid fragmenting the marketplace, but still have Calguns automatically curate the goals we were ultimately after.

ixta70
08-22-2013, 4:47 PM
I think the Long Gun / Hand Gun split is best because if you really want the firearm in question you'll drive to get it no matter where it as CSACANNONEER stated. If it's split into NorCal and SoCal you'll be missing out on deals up north if you never look in that section.

As far as the selling both types, I think they should post each individually but with a 30 day automatic deletion upon no activity on the thread (only for marketplace) this saves server space. Assuming automatic deletion is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

skanless
08-22-2013, 4:59 PM
This split would be a great idea. Much more convenient if you are looking for a particular item.

Yerman
08-22-2013, 5:01 PM
How about both?

SoCal Long Gun
SoCal Handgun
NorCal Long Gun
NorCal Handgun

2nab
08-22-2013, 5:12 PM
So Cal vs Nor Cal split means that everyone in the middle who can reasonably travel to both has to search both distinct threads separately.

thomashoward
08-22-2013, 5:15 PM

Mods delete listings with no location in title.Won't take long for most people to figure the error of their ways

beancounter928
08-22-2013, 5:16 PM
I have been wanting a Nor Cal and So Cal split forever!!! Especially because a lot of sellers are not putting their locations in the title like they are supposed to per forum rules.

Dutch3
08-22-2013, 6:16 PM
I have been wanting a Nor Cal and So Cal split forever!!! Especially because a lot of sellers are not putting their locations in the title like they are supposed to per forum rules.

Sure, but what is your definition of nor cal/so cal? It is probably different than anyone else.

Where I live, 'nor cal' is considered to be anything north of Sacramento.

For someone in Orange County, 'nor cal' might be considered anything north of Bakersfield.

There's a lot of acreage in between subject to interpretation.

Better to list a city or county in the title.

Dutch3
08-22-2013, 6:18 PM
Mods delete listings with no location in title.Won't take long for most people to figure the error of their ways

^ This. And 'location' means city or county.

WieDonE
08-22-2013, 7:08 PM
I would vote for the handgun/long gun split! I think we all enjoy looking at the guns in general and it helps us price them with a street value. Also it is fun to get jealous of some NorCal deals every now and then!

Mr. Magoo
08-22-2013, 7:56 PM
I guess a 3 way split north/central/southern would make more sense. If it had to be two way then long/handguns sounds better. Like said above there are thread badge mods so that the seller could mark the local.

2nab
08-22-2013, 8:10 PM
I cant believe im the only one that would rather not see any split. Leave everything in one forum but allow the buyer to narrow selection and browse based upon separate data fields for region/ long gun, short gun/ even by caliber would be great.

I think sales would be easier because desired items are easier to find. I get exhausted trying to browse the way its set up now. LOL.

searching by city is not enough. If I type in "sacramento" I miss all the surrounding areas ( elk grove, vacaville, woodland, roseville) too many cities to type them all in to separate searches.

bluegas101
08-22-2013, 9:51 PM
I think that the best idea is to make 1 thread to search for, both WTS and WTB. If you were able to check or uncheck boxes and those would be able to refine our searches. Look at ebays search boxes to the left.

TheWalkingDead
08-23-2013, 12:36 AM
i recommend the best of both! long gun/ hand gun split, and stating the location is MANDATORY in the title. this would allow for quick scrolling and no more having to open up the post to see where they are located!

This and maybe state Ship or No Ship?

Saym14
08-23-2013, 7:00 AM
Location dies not make sence. What if one is willing to ship or from out of state?

kmca
08-23-2013, 9:28 AM
I'd like to see the reloading equipment/components for sale moved back to the marketplace :)

RedDawn
08-23-2013, 9:40 AM
Location dies not make sence. What if one is willing to ship or from out of state?

A geographic split does make sense. Just because the forum is split by location does not mean one must only shop in one's own region ;)
IMHO I believe most buyers prefer a FTF PPT transaction, saving them money on both shipping and ridiculous FFL fees.

A split of long guns/handguns does not make sense as this will inevitably create extra threads that could have been combined.

Inquirer
08-23-2013, 3:00 PM
Gosh darnit! Personally, I do not want a geographical split. Why? People travel, people ship. Even people that don't want to ship may do so eventually.

Rather than split the forum, REQUIRE that location be stated in the thread title.

Sorry Kes, but I do not like the new format of the 2A and Firearm Sales forums. What I could once browse in two forums now takes me five. This will lead to me skipping forums and ultimately missing topics / ads that I would have previously read.

This. An LG/HG split makes sense, but it would be nice to be able to browse everything at once.

Jpzum
08-23-2013, 3:36 PM
All together was fine, but it would be nice to narrow your search. If I want to find a handgun in the Bay Area, it's nice to not have to scroll through so many long guns in so cal. But it's nice to be able to see everything. Some are willing to ship/travel, etc. and it can help you compare the market. It works good on craigslist. You can narrow your search parameters to find more specific things in specific areas. Force people to put their location with a check box?

Jasen G
08-24-2013, 3:43 AM
NO NorCal/SoCal split please

Being on the border of NorCal/SoCal border I would find that split frustrating. I always thought I was in NorCal (so did Disneyland, PGE and my professional orgaization) but according to CGN I'm SoCal.

I would either prefer NO split whatsoever and LOCATION IN TITLE or Long/Hand split with LOCATION IN TITLE. Possibly with "Ship/NO Ship" <-- titles get long though

I do however find myself looking for a handgun more often than a long gun; this makes sense to me. I'd be willing to pay the wife and kids off with a trip to Disneyland in order nab a sweet deal in the OC.

dtm925
08-24-2013, 2:37 PM
I love the new layout. It caught me off guard. I'm digging the current split but a geographic option would be awesome. Norcal, Central, and SoCal each having a handgun and long gun secton? Just an idea.

Beercandan
08-24-2013, 2:44 PM
On thread title there should be a place for their zip code also, because some of these cities I have no clue where they are anyway

vintagearms
08-24-2013, 2:49 PM
I like long gun / hand gun. Location should be REQUIRED in the title though.

THIS

ParaLarry
08-24-2013, 11:00 PM

Seriously LOCATION should be required in all marketplace listings. I have wasted hours clicking on what looked like a good deal only to find buried in the posting that it's 500 miles away.

Joe Blowitup
08-24-2013, 11:50 PM
I always thought changing the market was needed but already see people screwing it up with pistols in the rifle section. Whichever way this goes i would like to see a all in one so that everyone can look in one to see all or pick by location/rifle/pistol.

bmb29035
08-25-2013, 5:58 AM
I think there are still pistols in the rifle section because the old "for sale" section was simply renamed. Anyone with a bookmark to the old section will go to the rifle section. And there's no message or announcement once you get there. I made this mistake myself for a week.

stryper
08-25-2013, 9:17 PM
I don't think we need to split California into regions because of the way it is populated. Of course you have your large cities in the north and south but you also have many citizens that live in the central valley, mountain and coastal areas. How would they get classified? I believe it would be too much for the webmasters to maintain and the moderators to oversee.

Also as others have mentioned, each listing should have the sellers location. It's not that difficult to list the city where the item is for sale and would give the potential buyer an idea where they might have to travel to in order purchase the item in case the seller does not want to ship. It saves a lot of time posting and sending pm's to find out the simple information where the item is.

I for one am very happy with the recent long gun/ hand gun split and think it's great. It makes it a lot easier to locate what you are interested in without searching through many pages of listings. Many times I have gone back through and seen listings that I have not noticed before. I know the search option is always available but it's nice to look through similar ads.

A couple of changes that I really would like to see is a "Firearms for Trade" and a "Firearm Parts and Accessories for Trade" section. I think these sections would help alleviate many sellers from fielding unwanted pm's or posts in their ad for trade offers when the only want to sell the item. On the flip side, double posting in the for sale section and trade section should be allowed in case the the seller wants to accept both.

Just my opinion but I have browsed through other sites and like the ease of choosing where I want to go and look. CalGuns is fantastic, keeps getting better, like how the moderators aren't too overbearing and always willing to hear the opinions and ideas from their members. Thank you and please keep up the great work!

Mjam777
08-25-2013, 9:32 PM
Split by location. A north and south split makes sense. That is still a huge geographical area. I think if it is going to be split. It should be subdivided then the buyer/seller could pick the area they want to target.

RCinright
08-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Fresno is NorCal. Nobody in SoCal is going to go any further north than Bakersfield (if that) or Santa Barbara so you might as well cut if off there.

Mobetter
08-27-2013, 10:31 AM
agree with RC, no one in Socal is going to go any further north of LA

owenismo
08-27-2013, 1:25 PM
The split won't make much sense for people close to the line. Also some times there are people willing to ship or drive down.

acemeister990
08-28-2013, 9:39 AM
The search feature worked fine for me when everything was in one forum...

FalseProfit
08-28-2013, 5:11 PM
I'm just finding this thread now. It looks like 'split by location' won the popular vote.

Honestly, when I shop for firearms, I want to see ALL of them. I may have been in the market for a revolver, but I've changed my mind after seeing a pretty rifle ;)

I would prefer the marketplace to be split by location, or revert to the way it was. I don't like the long gun/handgun split.

Treb5
08-30-2013, 7:46 PM
Kes, make it simple, do the North/South split you suggested.

Damiiaaannn
08-30-2013, 8:25 PM
Back to one big section, but my second option is north/south split.

springfield4ever
08-31-2013, 2:54 PM
Would love to see it merged back into one thread; much easier browsing, maybe enforce a mandatory title layout or something

Steph
08-31-2013, 4:15 PM
I kept seeing a lot of threads titled "Item, Location, Will Ship/No Shipping" and was wondering why...then I clicked to start a new thread and found out why. Granted people are not that smart, but maybe there should be big annoying red text next to that field that says "CHANGE THIS TITLE ACCORDING TO YOUR AD." :confused:

DocSpaulding
08-31-2013, 6:41 PM
I have an idea, we should try something enforceable instead of the junk we have right now. long gun/handgun split my butt has anyone else besides me realized that people are to Ahhm should I say,, to figure out "longgun forum"= where you put your long guns ie RIFLES. "handguns forum"= HANDGUNS.. I like the regional split I think it would help the not so sharp crayons on the site to lump there guns and just figure a Geo location. Might I suggest, do to the long stretch that is California a north, mid, south split might be a little more friendly to the end user and will keep the forum traffic light enough that users wont feel the need to "over bump" there post to keep it around not only that but it allows for a more stable sale/trade forum under heavy site load, leaving plenty of "room" for new users in the future.

blasterp7
09-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Change it back to the way it was. If anything, a north south split. I am finding as a lot of handguns in the longgun section. So I have to check both anyway

Roninx13
09-02-2013, 4:37 PM
"Honestly, when I shop for firearms, I want to see ALL of them. I may have been in the market for a revolver, but I've changed my mind after seeing a pretty rifle

I would prefer the marketplace to be split by location, or revert to the way it was. I don't like the long gun/handgun split."

+1 for this. I use the search function if I want something specific but generally I like browsing everything and that's easier when it's in one place.

nitroxdiver
09-02-2013, 11:45 PM
I would prefer a geographical split, with all firearms listed together in the appropriate geographical location sub forum. Thanks for asking out opinion on the topic.

Sent from classified location using Tapatalk.

ChrisDM
09-03-2013, 5:48 AM
Sounds like Cali beaurocracy in general, solutions looking for problems. In Texas we used to say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

---------------------------------
Chris

josh_b
09-03-2013, 1:01 PM
Why not add a county tab when listing items and the ability to search by county?

AIMSMALL
09-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Original recipe, I like to see what's out there and having everything split makes it harder to look at everything. Location is required already, just add it to the title.

adamjay
09-09-2013, 10:42 AM
i dont think the geogaphic split makes the best sense for me - just bought something from socal, shipped to norcal, besides, 2 people in norcal can still be 4 hours apart. i like the handgun/longgun split. i do sometimes wish i could more efficiently search postings - like to show only ads willing to ship, but that was not your question.
thanks for working so hard to make the sight the best it can be!

ifilef
09-09-2013, 6:01 PM
I kind of like the way things are right now. Usually, buyers know whether they are in the market for a rifle or handgun, and they should remain separate forums (sub-forums).

The listing title should include the seller's CITY OR TOWN and 'No Ship' where applicable.

tlor
09-11-2013, 10:34 PM
I agreed, another vote for NorthCal/SouthCal split. I would prefer all the guns in one place.

monk
09-11-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm always annoyed when I see a gun that I want but realize it's in NorCal. I'd rather have regional listings with a handgun/long gun.

DanInChico
09-14-2013, 4:58 PM
I haven't worked with vBulletin in a long time, but is it possible to 'tag' a thread so that it will be shown in multiple forums?

Example (assuming a regional split): If someone's close to an adjacent region or willing to ship, can they select the regions where the offer will apply and have the thread appear in the forums for each region?

Maintaining multiple threads is unwieldy, so this format would only make sense if vBulletin has the functionality. (Or if the CG techs are willing to add the functionality).

If it's a regional split, 3 would be better than two. Oregon to SF, SF to Tejon Pass, Tejon to Tijuana.

And if vBulletin will show the same thread in multiple forums, might as well split the state into 6+ regions.

03fatboy
09-18-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm warming up to the Handgun and long gun split rather than one large thread. Don't think an area split works very well either. Seems more people are putting the area in the title now as well.

For me it works as I have none to very little interest in long guns.

ROCKofGLOVE
10-08-2013, 5:45 PM
Geographic split. I'm sorry to all the Central Cali folks. When I'm shopping, I'm Shopping! Let me see it all! Long, short, doesn't matter. That's what she said.

jimdelmar
10-10-2013, 11:31 PM
After using this for awhile I find myself checking both.....so although I voted for this one north /south would be better.

Now if people would just put the city in the title!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

redrex
10-14-2013, 1:04 PM
Why not both? A Nor/So split with Sub categories under there?

smith629
10-14-2013, 6:40 PM
My #1 problem with the marketplace is I find a great firearm that I'm interested but the seller is in Sacramento and I'm in Orange County. California is a big state--800 miles long--so my vote is for the seller location split north/south.

curtru
10-14-2013, 8:38 PM
Ether a split of north and south or a search feature that you can select north or south or maybe if posters could put in there title or at least in there thread.

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk 2

oso grande
10-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Sounds like Cali beaurocracy in general, solutions looking for problems. In Texas we used to say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

---------------------------------
Chris

This!

oso grande
10-15-2013, 11:25 PM
If people would get off their butts and make an effort to ship, there would be no need for a North South split.
Seems divisive...all the socal guns stay in socal, all nocals stay up north.

glock_this
10-16-2013, 8:38 AM
Regional split. What people have for sale doesn't matter if they are not near me or willing to ship or I am willing to pay to have shipped. So, I would rather not even be bothered seeing those listings not near me as more times than not, a FTF would be ideal to save shipping and/or transfer costs.

glock_this
10-16-2013, 8:40 AM

Then you guys in TX must spend all day fixing stuff :eek: d'ohhhh

crya79
10-18-2013, 1:21 PM
Geographic split seems to be in the lead! When can we look forward to a resolution of this? Dropdown menus of some location format similar to how Craigslist requires you to put in your location would be great! Having been bouncing around between my longgun and handgun ads for the past few weeks, I can confirm I'd like to have a location split and not necessarily a type of gun split, but a more advanced search/sort function would be ideal!

Gogo2nd
10-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Divide by type in a section...ex: handguns, n.ca.

Well Oiled Machine
10-29-2013, 5:37 PM
i voted seller location split, but i think any split by location would be preferred.I should have voted geographic line where my vote would have done more good.

Trgt
10-29-2013, 7:43 PM
The problem has been solved before - see Craigslist :-)

You can view everything. You can look at specific regions. You can look at specific categories. You can search.

I realize the problem is forcing the way folks use CL or Amazon into a whatever it is that vBulletin will allow or that folks are used to here.

In my opinion, given the nature of most firearms transactions, those make sense by region, as those are mostly face to face transactions.

But parts, etc, could be statewide as those are just as easy to transact by UPS.

oso grande
10-31-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm sure many members are confused by the term "Handguns", so I suggest that we change to "Shortguns".
Goes better with "Longguns", and will eliminate the confusion.

OG :rolleyes:

ejhc11
10-31-2013, 12:49 PM
If I have money - I like to see all guns for sale, there may be something of interest that pops up and could sway me to buy either. Also, easier on sellers who have both for sale.

Location - should've been in the Ad anyway. Everyone lives and travels differently - so Norcal or Socal sale thread would only create more issues.

NoSmoke
11-17-2013, 7:03 PM
Ideally, in order to allow members to search in the category they are interested in, there should be four (4) categories of firearms sales:

1) Northern California - Long guns
2) Northern California - Handguns
3) Southern California - Long guns
4) Southern California - Handguns

That's my 2, YMMV !

CenterX
12-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Splitting the state into north and south ---- yikes.
Several of us travel the full length of the state to find what we want. It is also good to have a quick comparison of all areas in one search. Strange enough to have long guns and hand guns split.
Next, will it be split into brand name forums?

Kess,
If I may suggest - if it must be divided, then do it so the mods can spend efficient time being useful.
An immediate help would be to make Location mandatory and not optional for all posters.
Cheers!

TATER313
12-18-2013, 8:08 PM
I like the handgun/longgun split. Maybe split from semiauto/ revolver. same with rifle semi/lever/bolt

FSTJACK
12-18-2013, 9:52 PM
I like the way it works as is !
It is much easier to read the new threads when they are broken down by handgun, and long gun.
A north south split does not work for me beacus some hand guns can be shipped, single action, and those that are on the CA. Handgun list.
I don,'t mind reading a new thread to see if I am interested, first and then to see what can come of meeting the buyer or seller for the transaction.
I do not want to wade through a long list of threads, if looking for one type of gun.
Please keep it the was it is.

Go Packers!
12-21-2013, 11:15 PM
I think there should be two sections.

1.) Firearms priced at an amount that is more expensive than buying readily available firearms brand new.

2.) Firearms priced at an amount that is less expensive than buying readily available firearms brand new.

Unless it is no longer being manufactured or is rare for some reason, the first section mentioned is of no interest to most people. I would frequent the marketplace more often if it weren't flooded with the aforementioned listings.

AragornElessar86
01-07-2014, 4:44 PM

This. I live in San Diego. I'm not going to drive to Victorville or other places potentially considered "SoCal", so a binary north/south split doesn't help.

I like handgun/long gun because so often someone has the gun I want in their post, but I don't realize it because the title only lists the first gun, which is the wrong type. This way at least there's a better chance of the gun I'm interested in being in the title.

Sleeper
01-07-2014, 8:47 PM
Keep it Long Gun / Handgun. I live in Nor Cal, but have traveled to "Mid Cal" to meet up for a FTF. Most people collect either long guns or handguns.

Can'thavenuthingood
01-07-2014, 9:32 PM
Go with the seller based option.
I do like the division of long gun and handguns, so much easier for shopping.

Or SoCal-Central Valley - NorCal

I really do like the idea of resting the cursor on the add for the Quickview lok see, very nice.

Vick

NoSmoke
01-08-2014, 6:35 PM
The ideal setup is Handgun & Longgun categories, with North and South sub-categories under each.

This narrows it down to type and geographic region. For instance, if I'm not interested in buying from someone in Northern California I don't have to spend time looking at those ads. This would be much more beneficial for Calgunners.

Jsapata
01-08-2014, 6:49 PM
I like HG/LG split with county or some other georeference in the title.

pyrotec
01-09-2014, 4:49 PM
umm try "will ship"...vs "no ship"...then a socal/norcal...split..then you'll make everyone happy!! :D... This is my first post... I hope everyone loves it!! :D

JDay
01-10-2014, 3:45 AM
We need to split by region.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

scrubb
01-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Require city in title along with WTS, or WTT etc. It is very helpful to know the location right off the bat. Most of us are probably only interested in local transactions.

Cheers,

iamnoone
01-10-2014, 11:36 AM
It's not a big deal. Why is it such a huge inconvenience to post multiple listings?
My God, are the sellers that lazy?

crya79
01-24-2014, 2:45 PM
Split by geographic location is still the clear favorite. Let's make this happen. NorCal and SoCal are very easy to separate. And to make it even easier, the mods can through up a map of the state showing one color for North and one color for South.

oso grande
01-24-2014, 7:32 PM
I strongly support grouping all the , "Won't Ship" people together.

OG

ptgarcia
01-24-2014, 10:22 PM
North/south split gets my vote.

Paul

shoot_first
02-05-2014, 12:12 PM
North/South and LongGun/HandGun ......is 4 catagories too hard to program?
Since the poll is split, seems like the way to go.
More Choice is the disappearing American way

Redlands Shooter
02-05-2014, 6:29 PM
People can probably adapt to any layout but some mandatory information in the header and or the post would be helpful. I think an enhanced, easy to use search tool that permits searching multiple criteria is what is needed most. Thanks for the opportunity to provide feedback.

ifilef
02-09-2014, 8:25 AM
I like the Marketplace just the way it is when using the Search function.

It is set up with a forum long guns and one for handguns. If one wants to know if a particular seller is listing in either forum, just click on seller's Profile and look at threads recently posted or commented upon, or just PM the seller.

If one wants to know which long guns or hand guns are listed for instance, in San Diego, go to the thread display for that forum and do a 'Search this Forum' and type in San Diego,

It then displays all the local transactions where seller or person wishing to trade has mentioned San Diego. Very helpful to ascertain which handguns or long guns are being offered in your area.

One can likewise do such a city Search under the WTB forum and find out what the locals want to buy.

tamalpias
03-08-2014, 1:00 PM
geo split is preferred because i don't want to buy shipped and i have been discouraged many times by the location after clicking on the thread and finding out they are far away. We live in a big state. :-/

Barang
03-08-2014, 4:46 PM
NorCal/SoCal split. Handgun/Long gun split. Easier to sort out for buyers and sellers.

oso grande
03-08-2014, 4:52 PM
Always amazed, that, it seems to be members that have sold the least that want change.

mrfat
03-25-2014, 4:15 PM
Nor/So Cal isn't a very good split as it still encompasses large areas. Instead consider the adoption of tags. We can have a tag for each county and a user can choose which counties they want to search within. We can also do a tag for shipping or no shipping. We could even have tags for each manufacturer but that's excessive. Someone looking for a particular gun could just use the search option then refine that search via use of tags.

jeff63a
03-27-2014, 9:28 AM
Location required in title with separate LG/HG forums sounds good.

Just a thought, would it be possible to have the option of providing a zip code in user profiles, or just in the post itself, then allow advanced search in the forum to include a geographical radius search based on the searcher's zip code? (5, 10, 25, 50, 100 miles, etc.)

Could even give posters the option to check a box for long gun or handgun, or both, which could be searchable as well. Guess it all depends on the flexibility of the software.

BruceR
03-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Location is of prime importance to me. Even if a gun is offered for free in Temecula, it's not worth it to me to take the two trips to complete the transfer. Ideally, the forum would let me set a rough distance that I'm willing to travel, perhaps based on ZIP code or area code.

Stephen83
04-18-2014, 1:42 PM
I'd vote for a Norcal, Central and Socal.

socoinfantry82d
04-18-2014, 2:27 PM
Nor Cal So Cal split. Maybe add a section of ship no ship?

biker777
04-18-2014, 3:58 PM
I am liking the handgun/long gun split really well..but

Sellers need to put their city in the title..

That would settle the location problem.

I don't understand how its so hard to add that?

I always have my city in my thread titles..

takes what a few seconds more to type in " San Diego" etc..

BEE
05-14-2014, 6:03 PM
Having a hg/lg split is easier when looking for something in particular like a handgun or long gun. Sellers just need to include their city in their thread title and buyers really need to pay extra attention to that. So I think the current layout is working.

ptgarcia
05-15-2014, 8:21 AM
Always amazed, that, it seems to be members that have sold the least that want change.

So the marketplace has to cater to the seller? What about the buyer? Its the buyer that is more inconvenienced with having to make two trips to the FFL.

Rhinofly
05-28-2014, 9:05 AM
The current layout is fine. However, it would be most beneficial to all if users could search based on posting tags such as location, willingness to ship, cost, etc.

scobun
06-16-2014, 12:34 AM
Geographic split would be awesome.

Rexxss98
07-30-2014, 1:54 AM
Geographical Split Please! Thanks!

caliberetta
08-13-2014, 9:36 PM
Definitely Geographic

AmericanRedoubt
08-23-2014, 10:32 AM
I'd vote for a Norcal, Central and Socal.

Agree

That would settle the location problem.

I don't understand how its so hard to add that?

I always have my city in my thread titles..

takes what a few seconds more to type in " San Diego" etc..

well said

acepilot55
08-23-2014, 3:03 PM
Personally I think it will be hard to come up with a definitive split that will satisfy everyone. And anyway, what if someone in NorCal will ship to SoCal... or vice versa? People are going to have to search both forums regardless of their location. Just keep it as it is (works great for me) and require that everyone put mandatory info in the title line.... and if the info is missing, then the ad gets deleted until they fix it.

....maybe enforce a mandatory title layout or something

Agreed. And is there anyone that checks listings on a regular basis... or only if they're reported? It'd be good to have a mod(s) scan through and have people edit titles if necessary.

Shoot, I'd be happy if all the *SOLD* posts got deleted in a timely fashion, lol.

Having a hg/lg split is easier when looking for something in particular like a handgun or long gun...

Exactly. It takes long enough to sort through all the listings that have changed since the last time I logged in. If I'm looking for a handgun, I don't want to have to weed through rifles at the same time.

So the marketplace has to cater to the seller? What about the buyer? Its the buyer that is more inconvenienced with having to make two trips to the FFL.

It doesn't have to, but if someone really wants that gun they will drive twice to get it.

jayr103
10-23-2014, 10:14 PM
How do I get bold title for my thread display? Choosing the Bold doesn't work for title, thanks!

350skylark
10-23-2014, 10:22 PM
I havent looked through all the comments so i dont know if it has been posted or not, but what about people who are willing to ship firearms? then north and south makes no difference. I agree with putting location in title. I dont know how much work it would be but would it be possible to put anouther spot in the link to the post where it says "Thread/ Thread starter, Last post, replies, views" and add location for where the profile is set?

Hayduke Lives
10-26-2014, 7:50 PM
Would love to see it split into geographic areas. I'm soooo tired of people not putting their location in the headline\post. Even though it is a required rule it's never enforced:mad:

crazyhorse305
10-27-2014, 3:23 PM
Split by location, geographic line work for me.

ElDub1950
11-04-2014, 6:07 PM
why not a 2 way: North, South and Will-Ship

locc408
11-08-2014, 8:56 PM
It would be great to have the following categories.

Northern California Long Guns
Northern California Hand Guns
Southern California Long Guns
Southern California Hand Guns

It is a huge bummer to find a gun I want and then find out seller will not ship, and I don't want to drive to LA/San Diego just to buy a gun.

faterikcartman
11-08-2014, 11:57 PM
I worry that if you do the geographical split there will be people near the border who will have to search multiple forums.

Split it up by long guns and handguns, allow users to post in both if they're selling both types, and take a firm stand on requiring sellers to include their city or county in the header.

Tovarish
11-09-2014, 12:17 AM
I've made deals with people from NorCal. Sometimes travel plans align.

The geography thing is only a problem when people ignore the rules and don't put their location in the thread title. And even then it only takes two clicks to see that it's on the other side of the state and not worth making something happen.

The occasional irrelevant thread with no location in title is a small price to pay for finding a rare gem that I might have to drive a few hours for.

Velvetmonkey
11-12-2014, 6:04 AM
Location in the title should be mandatory. Allow thread crapping in threads posted without title until poster fixes issue or mods delete.

Mr Wizard
11-12-2014, 1:18 PM
I mostly scan the titles. Put the description, location, and price in the title. If I'm interested, then I'll open the thread. Two clicks on a slow PC is a lifetime, when you only have minutes a day to browse.

BigPimping
01-09-2015, 1:12 PM
I say segregate the locales.

StefanJanowski
01-09-2015, 6:23 PM
I always search with keywords usually geographic words. So Norcal/SoCal would be nice but also dividing them again in Long gun and handgun those specific sections would be an even better idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ifilef
01-10-2015, 6:10 PM
As I've said numerous times before, just place in the 'Search this Forum' box the city, and/or type firearm that you are looking for .. I do believe the present system works fine.

I like the Marketplace just the way it is when using the Search function.

It is set up with a forum long guns and one for handguns. If one wants to know if a particular seller is listing in either forum, just click on seller's Profile and look at threads recently posted or commented upon, or just PM the seller.

If one wants to know which long guns or hand guns are listed for instance, in San Diego, go to the thread display for that forum and do a 'Search this Forum' and type in San Diego,

It then displays all the local transactions where seller or person wishing to trade has mentioned San Diego. Very helpful to ascertain which handguns or long guns are being offered in your area.

One can likewise do such a city Search under the WTB forum and find out what the locals want to buy.

cusco19
01-20-2015, 4:08 PM
i wish the for sale forum can be categorized by the seller's location first and then enable the search in that particular categories by type.

since i got my first handgun, this for sale forum is like an addiction... but often times, i find a gun i really wanted and then suddenly location wise is not listed in the subject or when i find out seller is in socal. :facepalm:

if location can be set as priority first and then allow me to search for what i want.. then at least i'll know those sellers are within the area that's close to me.

just my new year's wish... thanks~

oh btw, i think we can get rid of the WTB section, since i've posted several but never even heard from sellers. I find it easier to search for it by contacting the seller directly in the FS forum.

ACfixer
02-02-2015, 5:44 PM
North of Bakersfield, South of Bakersfield. For those that actually live in Bakersfield... well you have bigger things to worry about. :p

(This coming from a guy that lives in Victorville) ;)

I think a geographical split or as another member mentioned, perhaps a mandatory location in the thread title.

Sgt. J Beezy
02-04-2015, 6:36 PM
A subsection under the main section (handgun) where it can be separated by location, I think would work very well.

Limit the single post count to the main section (1 per handgun/long gun/...) to prevent multiple area listings.

Good luck

KenzaZ
02-26-2015, 2:28 PM
Stuff haven't changed in the private sales section for at least 5 years since I joined so nothing will change anyway. A northern vs southern CA area would definitely help filter out most of the listings for me since 70%of listings are SoCal listings.

meno377
02-26-2015, 2:35 PM
Stuff haven't changed in the private sales section for at least 5 years since I joined so nothing will change anyway. A northern vs southern CA area would definitely help filter out most of the listings for me since 70%of listings are SoCal listings.

That is technically incorrect. The long guns and handguns were combined in July of 2013, then they separated at a later time. I agree though for a change between Southern CA., and Northern CA.

MiXoLoGiSt
03-31-2015, 1:29 PM
Yes I agree there need to be a split between NorCal and SoCal. I live in SoCal and can't count how many times i saw a gun I wanted then realized it was in Northern California.

markob50
03-31-2015, 4:10 PM
I would also like to see a seperation between Northern and Southern California for Sales.

softmentor
03-31-2015, 7:46 PM
I like the way its working now, Most people put an area in the title bar, that works well for me.
Depending on the gun I may drive more or less for it.
I'm not usually in the market for both and the LG / HG split helps me narrow my reading by a good bit.

Sleeper
03-31-2015, 7:59 PM
I like the way its working now, Most people put an area in the title bar, that works well for me.
I'm not usually in the market for both and the LG / HG split helps me narrow my reading by a good bit.

I agree and have driven over 4 hours each way for HG's more than once and have met fellow Calgunners half way with two/three drives each way.

MiXoLoGiSt
04-01-2015, 4:22 AM

I agree and have driven over 4 hours each way for HG's more than once and have met fellow Calgunners half way with two/three drives each way.

Well in that case you would be able to just check both sub sections. Even if you live in SoCal you will still have access to the NorCal section, but would be up to you to check it. It will help filter out the NorCal posts to their own section and make it less cluttered for the people in SoCal who aren't willing to drive 4-8 hours for a gun.

Pauliedad
04-01-2015, 7:22 AM
Being in the Bay Area, I would also like to see the split by north/south but I think the issue is where to split? Anyone near that split gets screwed too.
As time has gone by, the titles have location listed in them more and more.

MiXoLoGiSt
04-01-2015, 4:38 PM
Being in the Bay Area, I would also like to see the split by north/south but I think the issue is where to split? Anyone near that split gets screwed too.

As time has gone by, the titles have location listed in them more and more.

I'd say consider anything from Bakersfield and up part of NorCal and anything south of Bakersfield would be SoCal.

Or even easier let the users who are kind of in the middle decide what section they should post in to get the best results in their sale.

The main posts I wish I didn't have to sort through would be the ones from the Bay Area, Fresno and Sacramento areas. Those are pretty far from SoCal.

shooting4life
04-03-2015, 9:49 PM
Just make people enter their zip code in a new field and search by distance.

scoutsniper687
05-05-2015, 3:30 PM
For the love of dog can we include "please put pictures" in the "new thread" template that is automatically there when you click new thread. Its a epidemic of no picture threads!

kz45
05-05-2015, 4:43 PM
Northern and Southern Cal are each so big that it could still end up irrelevant. I would prefer a Long/Hand gun split.

vmumford
05-06-2015, 2:06 PM
I for the NorCal/SoCal split.

AhSpray
05-06-2015, 3:41 PM
If you do a Norcal/ Socal split, the guys in Fresno are going to be like cats in a tennis court.

Octaviob
05-06-2015, 6:14 PM
The distance to do a PPT is a huge factor in addition to the price and condition. Most people would not drive twice unless it was something extra special. I skip the majority of the ads that are more than 100 miles away.

On the plus side, I have learned the geographical location of a lot of small towns. I am in the Los Angeles area and I would consider driving to Bakersfield a long distance. It is more than 500 miles to do the trip twice. It would really need to be something special and on the assumption that nothing is being falsely represented.

MiXoLoGiSt
05-17-2015, 1:50 AM
Northern and Southern Cal are each so big that it could still end up irrelevant. I would prefer a Long/Hand gun split.

Ummm there is already a Long/Hand gun split.

Uxi
07-17-2015, 12:55 PM
Voted geographic. Not entirely displeased with the type split, though

FireCloud9
08-15-2015, 4:02 PM
It would be very helpful if there was a geographic split of Northern and Southern California. I'm in Sacramento and there's just no way I'm going to travel to L.A., Orange County or any other Southern Cal region to buy any weapon.

I'm guessing that for most transactions they happen within 100 mile radius. Few people travel the whole State.

North / South is really basic. I'd rather see North / Central / South and within each sub-regions encompassing major cities, counties or an East / West split.

There are enough users and Calguns is robust enough to support such splits.

Spending a couple of hundred dollars in gas to travel multiple times 3, 4, 5 or 6+ hours for a gun that's anywhere from $400 to $800 or so is a non-stater for most. And from what I see, most transactions are sub $1,000.

This idea that folks like to "look" at all the guns available in a single thread may make sense in a State where shipping is common or the geographic span is 3 hours or so, but in California with its painful restrictions, it really limits most people to in person transactions and the geographic distances are huge.

Just imagine someone in PA traveling to GA to pick up a firearm. Those are the distances we're talking about. I lived in Europe and 8-9hrs would span several countries!

It's fun to see the gun you want is out there, but frustrating to see that it's 6, 7, 8 or 9+ hours away.

Hell, Reno is closer to me. Traveling 9hrs would take me to Salt Lake City, Utah. 5hrs and I'm in Medford, Oregon. 8.5hrs and I'm in Twin Falls, Idaho. Las Vegas is closer to me than some places in Southern Ca.

And that's not taking into account California traffic!! Take that into account and I can travel to every adjacent State and beyond!

numpty
08-15-2015, 8:24 PM
It works for me the way it is.

I just do a search for my town. Thins things out nicely.

Pauliedad
08-15-2015, 8:39 PM
I have to add now that I do take in what's being offered down south. Not that I'd make that drive but seeing what's going on is interesting.

FireCloud9
08-18-2015, 11:15 AM
I have to add now that I do take in what's being offered down south. Not that I'd make that drive but seeing what's going on is interesting.

That's exactly my point.

Maybe we should do a poll to figure out how far people are willing to drive for a sub $1,000 purchase.

I think a lot of users like to look at what's trading and for how much in other parts of the State, but that doesn't really reflect the local market prices.

For example, a firearm that's $450 in L.A. where the same firearm that's posted as $500 in S.F. and $550 in Sacramento.

If the buyer is in Sacramento, it'd cost them a lot more than $100 to travel to L.A. and more than $50 to travel to S.F.

Don't get me wrong, I like to look too, but it's easier for me to just click on another thread to see what's selling in SoCal. Yes, I can do a search for Sacramento in the title, but that may miss a NorCal labeled listing. And yes, I know that I can do multiple searches.

But what we find in most marketplaces ie. Craigslist, etc. is that they're organized by major cities. It's the way virtually all marketplaces are organized where shipping is uncommon.

If shipping is the norm ie. Amazon, then location doesn't matter.

Big Data
09-22-2015, 11:45 AM
I'd like to see "county" required in the title. In my case searching for "Ventura" misses listings for nearby cities like Oxnard, Simi, etc.

skycrane
10-23-2015, 8:37 PM
I always search using location because we need to PPT most guns in california. Can we change the marketplace broken down into general locations? Say from SFO north, middle and SoCal?

milsurpseller
11-08-2015, 7:46 PM
I have a Q about proper selling etiquette and didn't know where to post it. If a buyer declars that he will take an item and then doesn't get back to the seller in 4 or 5 days should the seller consider the buyer as flaking out or should the seller keep waiting for this buyer?

This just happened to me, I waited a good 4 or 5 days with no response from the buyer so I put the item back up and sold it to someone else, the original buyer just messaged me today on the item which is now over a week past him saying he'll take it. as a seller that is out of work and in need of money I felt 5 days was long enough, was I in the right or wrong?

scifigunner
11-08-2015, 8:13 PM
I have a Q about proper selling etiquette and didn't know where to post it. If a buyer declars that he will take an item and then doesn't get back to the seller in 4 or 5 days should the seller consider the buyer as flaking out or should the seller keep waiting for this buyer?

This just happened to me, I waited a good 4 or 5 days with no response from the buyer so I put the item back up and sold it to someone else, the original buyer just messaged me today on the item which is now over a week past him saying he'll take it. as a seller that is out of work and in need of money I felt 5 days was long enough, was I in the right or wrong?

You did fine, 5 days is more than enough time to determine someone is a flake.

skycrane
11-11-2015, 1:00 PM
California is a pain because you cannot ship gun easily. Most of us we want to shop for guns that we can "actually" drive to in a reasonable distance. Plus with the 10 day wait you have to drive there twice making it more costly.

SEPARATE INTO REGIONS PLEASE!

lillian
12-12-2015, 7:29 AM
Everyone has made good comments to consider. I personally prefer the split and separation of regions and items; it makes a lot easier to find item of interest. Maybe we can have it all if the search function is more flexible and customize able.

giantsfan
12-24-2015, 8:26 AM
Why do people get rid of the price after the weapon is sold? I'd like to see what the sold price is or at least what the offering price was to get a gauge of the market for any given item.

I didn't see in the rules that this must be done but it was, admittedly, a quick glance so it could be there.

epic4444
12-24-2015, 11:00 PM
Calguns is big enough to have both a norcal /socal AND a rifle/handgun split, it's pretty tiresome seeing guns for sale in LA I want

DeCloaK
12-24-2015, 11:16 PM
What about people willing to ship?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

UNLTD1487
12-30-2015, 3:56 PM
Just wondering if there is any progress report on this issue? The original post was dated back to August of 2013. Thanks.

MUKAK
12-30-2015, 4:01 PM
i like it the way it is now! perfect

xxxx
01-05-2016, 2:05 PM
Why not use a tag system? Like you get to tag 10 things in your sale.

If you're selling a HK P7M8 in LA you can tag "Pistol, Handgun, SoCal, LA, Los Angeles, 90210, HK P7M8" and people could easily search/browse off that if you have filters.

CockedAndLocked
01-08-2016, 6:55 AM
I think there should be a mandatory field in each listing that states nor cal or so cal that way when you search you can just add your area and get the relevant results only.

epic4444
02-03-2016, 8:59 AM
What about people willing to ship?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Have you purchased a used gun on calguns and had it shipped? You would pay 35 for shipping and another 75 "handling feee" for a gunstore to accept and DROS the gun, thats +100 cash might as well buy brand new locally.

Mr Wizard
02-03-2016, 10:15 AM
I like it the way it is now split between long and short, but it kills me when I find a deal only to open the thread and find out it is out of my region. Require location be the second word of the thread title! Example: WTS- So Cal, rare Glock, $$$

Sure I might drive to Nor Cal (twice) for a smokin' deal, but that would be the exception, not the norm. Can't have everything.

mmesa005
02-09-2016, 8:44 AM
I like the split between long and handgun but would like to see the location enforced in the header. Some have it some don't so you have to open the listing to know where the seller is located. Also would be great to enforce listing "WTS/WTT" in the heading.