PDA

View Full Version : cleaning my gun in the backyard

fred40
01-05-2008, 12:27 AM
is this legal?

Knight
01-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Sure it is, but it's also legal for your neighbors to freak out and call 911. If your neighbors are chill, or you don't mind the off-chance of the police stopping by, then I don't see why not.

I used to clean guns in my backyard when I lived with my parents, however most of their yard is well concealed.

fred40
01-05-2008, 12:35 AM
thats the problem. the neighbor has a 2 story house with a balcony, sometimes he goes out and smokes a cigarette. I like cleaning them outside better ventilation.

Knight
01-05-2008, 12:47 AM
thats the problem. the neighbor has a 2 story house with a balcony, sometimes he goes out and smokes a cigarette. I like cleaning them outside better ventilation.

Yeah, that makes it a tough decision; I don't really think anyone can tell you what is the right thing to do based on your specific situation and your own personal convictions. Just weigh your options carefully.

Army
01-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Invite your neighbor shooting. When you get home, invite him over for a smoke and cleaning session in the back yard!

oaklander
01-05-2008, 12:52 AM
I generally clean my guns at the range. That way when I get home, I just pop 'em in the safe.

:)

mothergreen
01-05-2008, 1:09 AM
if you can carry your gun on your hip while on your property you can do anything.. heck I'm pretty sure you can run around your backyard nude .. doesn't mean your neighbors will be happy with you but you can do it.

oaklander
01-05-2008, 1:11 AM
if you can carry your gun on your hip while on your property you can do anything.. heck I'm pretty sure you can run around your backyard nude .. doesn't mean your neighbors will be happy with you but you can do it.

The issue isn't whether it is legal (it is) the issue is whether someone might call the cops.

mothergreen
01-05-2008, 1:12 AM
oh, well in that case yeah but then that person has the right to get *****ed at by the cops for wasting their time.

762cavalier
01-05-2008, 7:32 AM
In my experience,especially with rifles, If you simply take it out of the stock and work on just the barreled action most people won't even know what you are cleaning. i have decosmoed several Mosins out in the FRONT yard this way with people walking by. If it doesn't look like a gun, no harm done;)

ocabj
01-05-2008, 8:28 AM
If I don't clean at the range before I leave, I clean in the privacy of the garage. I'll crack the side door open and open the garage door slightly to get some air flow going.

Rascal
01-05-2008, 8:29 AM
I always clean my rifles in the back yard. The neighbors can ***** all they want. I don't care. There is no law that says you can't, and the cops can come all they want. They can't do anything about it. I will be more than happy to explain to the cops that I am well within my rights to do this, and I'll see them next week, when I do it again. Maybe I'll buy some donuts so they can have something to eat while they watch me clean. :innocent:

Rob P.
01-05-2008, 9:02 AM
I clean in the garage with the big door open. I have had my whole arsenal in there at times in plain view. Who cares.

If the cops come by (never have), they're able to walk up the driveway and look inside. Once they see I'm not doing anything illegal they can leave. End of story.

Of course my neighbors are used to me doing this and seeing me carrying my sidearm everyday so it's no big deal to them. Even the kids walking by on their way home from the school bus stop don't seem to care. No one looks, no one screams, and no cops so far.

ONE caveat! NO AMMO. EVER! Not even if it's "over there". If you're cleaning you're not shooting so you shouldn't need ammo present. Lots of ND's have happened because someone was cleaning a firearm and then loaded it. Then they decided to "try out" the assembled action forgetting it was loaded. NEVER EVER have ammo around when cleaning. (Besides, having ammo present could bring complications on having a "loaded" weapon in public. It's not unless it's in/on the gun but being arrested for it won't be fun.)

smogcity
01-05-2008, 9:12 AM
If you have to ask the question, the answer is don't do it. Being young and not knowing your neighbors personaly will only lead to a 911 call reporting a "terrorist type in camo building machine guns!!!"

redneckshootist
01-05-2008, 9:52 AM
In my experience,especially with rifles, If you simply take it out of the stock and work on just the barreled action most people won't even know what you are cleaning. i have decosmoed several Mosins out in the FRONT yard this way with people walking by. If it doesn't look like a gun, no harm done;)

very true, Ive taken barreled recivers in to hardware stores looking for screws, roll pins, ect. and nobody even knows that is part of a gun

Turbinator
01-05-2008, 10:04 AM
I clean in the garage with the big door open. I have had my whole arsenal in there at times in plain view. Who cares.

I would care. I don't want to advertise to anyone I don't know about what I have. You never know who is casing the area for a future home invasion or burglary.

Turby

USN CHIEF
01-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Just do it. You are not breaking the law, if the PO PO shows up, so what, it is not like you will be gettting a ticket. And like many have said it, invite you neighbor over to the range..

Full Clip
01-05-2008, 10:32 AM
I would care. I don't want to advertise to anyone I don't know about what I have. You never know who is casing the area for a future home invasion or burglary.

+1 My neighbors are cool. But advertising is not.

Rob P.
01-05-2008, 10:33 AM

Turby

To all would-be burglars. JUST TRY IT! I have a secure perimeter fence, steel doors, solid walls, at least one large (more like huge) dog who knows his job freeroaming somewhere on the property at all times (inside & outside), and someone armed is always home.

My neighbor OTOH, is a fairly well off single female who has recently upgraded her home exterior with expensive/rich looking details (but no alarm system), has an expensive car parked visibly in the driveway & who abhors guns while owning a teacup chihuahua. :rolleyes:

ldivinag
01-05-2008, 12:02 PM
what is this CLEANING THE GUNS thing... ;)

ARRRR-15
01-05-2008, 12:47 PM
What about using a tarp or pop up shade to block his view? This way you can clean outside and you don't have to worry about him looking down at you.

DB2
01-05-2008, 1:46 PM
Why don't you just do what you want? It's your property. Are you so sure he is going to even care? He might ask you what caliber it is. And why would it be illegal to clean your gun outside? If you live in an apartment complex/condo, I might be able to see a privacy issue. But if you live in actual house, come on.

I wish people would stop being so afraid of what the other person is going to think when it comes to a gun. Personally I don't care if my neighbor sees me cleaning my gun through a window or carrying a rifle case to my truck.

I'm not baggin' the OP. Just tired of seeing "is this legal posts".

OH YEA, Is it legal to look at a unloaded gun leaning against my safe, since it's not in my safe?:rolleyes:

AJAX22
01-05-2008, 3:13 PM
I typically clean my guns in the bathroom (I don't have a garage)

although i might not be able to do that anymore... my wife caught me de-cosmoing some sks's last week and that did not go well....

Soaking them in WD40 for an hour in the bathtub and then runing a hot shower just works incredably well :(

the problem is when i get excited and forget to clean the cosmo/dirt/grime ring out of the bathtub...

SnWnMe
01-05-2008, 6:24 PM
It's your property and you're not bothering anybody. Cops may call, so receive them politely. All this hush hush about gun ownership propagates the image that they are verboten or taboo for Joe and Jane Public which is simply not true.

hawk81
01-05-2008, 8:52 PM
Screw the cops, it's your property. The cops may come out, but they can't do anything about it.

01-05-2008, 9:16 PM
I can't believe this question is even being asked. Gun owners should not have to live in fear merely because they own firearms. What I legally do on my property is my business. If the police show up, so what. If you a not doing anything illegal, you have nothing to worry about.

mhho
01-05-2008, 9:17 PM
is this legal?

Yes... if it is in your own backyard; otherwise your neighbor may mind. ;)

M. Sage
01-05-2008, 9:23 PM
A very big +1 to what SnWnMe said. Closet gun owners have a negative effect.

I did some welding on my Romy in a buddy's garage with the door open, near Golden Gate Park in SF, with a bus stop outside the garage door.

I clean guns in the back yard. I sometimes carry un-cased guns to my car parked curb-side. Meh. If they call the cops, be polite to the officers, and the person who called will probably get a short education from them.

AR-Ballistic
01-05-2008, 11:29 PM
My 2 cents take it for what it's worth. Yes, it's your property and you can do as you wish. But living in KOMIFORNIA I would rather NOT draw any attention to myself when it comes to guns. Remember it's the people that live by you in your and my neighborhood that probably voted for Dianne Fiendstein or Barbara Boxer. Do you really know your neighbors? Do you really want them in your business? I know I don't.It truly is a shame but when it comes to living in Kalifornia , IMHO discretion is your best friend when it comes to guns. ;)

N6ATF
01-05-2008, 11:59 PM

Unless cleaning outside prevented him from smoking that cigarette, I'd just as soon clean inside.

DigglerD
01-06-2008, 12:36 AM

Being in "Kali" works both ways... he calls on your for having guns... call the cops on him for smoking a cigarette...:D

ar15barrels
01-06-2008, 1:21 AM
Y'all need to get better neighbors.
I clean in my FRONT yard. :eek:

I have also been known to setup a reloading press or a rifle on sandbags and sight down the street, practicing my lead on moving targets. :)
When my neighbors see this, they usually come to see what I'm doing.

There is one that we don't know about so much so we just tell her that they are airsoft guns and she says, "oh, OK" :devil2:

SnWnMe
01-06-2008, 2:36 AM
Being in "Kali" works both ways... he calls on your for having guns... call the cops on him for smoking a cigarette...:D

Some great attention to detail there. You should join the Navy :43:

SnWnMe
01-06-2008, 2:37 AM
Y'all need to get better neighbors.
I clean in my FRONT yard. :eek:

Be careful, EPA might cite you for the Hoppe's#9 spilling on the grass.:)

ar15barrels
01-06-2008, 3:23 AM
Be careful, EPA might cite you for the Hoppe's#9 spilling on the grass.:)

No hoppes.
I use the foam.

bluestaterebel
01-06-2008, 3:54 AM
one time, when i was coming back fromthe range. i had about 4 rifle cases in my car. i thought, i better hurry up and get inside the house with these rifles before my neighbors think that i am some crazed nut getting ready for armaggedan. so i grab all the cases and hurry along my front yard and then it happened. like a dumbass i failed to properly zip one of the cases containing 2 rifles. both rifles slipped out from the case and onto the grass in my front lawn. i couldnt pick them up because i had my hands full, i had to hurry up inside, drop the other rifles and go back out for the rifles laying on the grass. i thought, oh no! this is not good. you never know what your neighbors will think.

you are well within the law to do what you ask but if your neighbors can see you it would probably be wise to let them know that you are a responsible legal gun owner so that it would not be a shock to them when they see it. it is your responsibilty as believer in the second amendment to educate people.
if you dont educate them they will come to their own ignorant conclusions. :gunsmilie:

ar15barrels
01-06-2008, 10:02 AM
you are well within the law to do what you ask but if your neighbors can see you it would probably be wise to let them know that you are a responsible legal gun owner so that it would not be a shock to them when they see it. it is your responsibilty as believer in the second amendment to educate people. if you dont educate them they will come to their own ignorant conclusions. :gunsmilie:

My neighbors are all gun owners and shooters.
I have worked on at least one gun for each of them except for the "airsoft" girl. ;)

M. Sage
01-06-2008, 10:40 AM
The problem with being discrete is that some people are overly-so.

When we take pains to hide what we do, it makes us look like we're doing something wrong. Trying to hide something draws even more attention, and of the wrong kind. It makes people suspicious and convinces them that they're up to no good.

Think about it: you see someone walking down the street, they look confident and relaxed. Will you even notice them? On the other side of the street, you could have that person's twin, dressed identically, but instead of walking confidently, he's obviously trying to escape notice. Which one are you going to notice, and which one is going to trip those "he's up to no good" alarm bells in your head. Which one would you remember tomorrow, or a week from now?

I say go ahead and clean your guns outside, just don't act like you're trying to avoid notice. You might be surprised and find your neighbor is a gun nut, too. It happened to me.

Turbinator
01-06-2008, 11:21 AM
My neighbor OTOH, is a fairly well off single female who has recently upgraded her home exterior with expensive/rich looking details (but no alarm system), has an expensive car parked visibly in the driveway & who abhors guns while owning a teacup chihuahua. :rolleyes:

So what are you waiting for? Single, female, money? Just work on her on the gun part, and you'll be set :)

Turby

ar15barrels
01-06-2008, 11:38 AM

I'd hit that. ;)