View Full Version : How to replace a barrel on a small ring Swedish mauser?

01-04-2008, 7:28 PM
Hi All,

Can anyone please tell me know to go about changing the barrel on a small ring mauser? How difficult is this to do with just home tools (i.e. no lathe etc). I have done a bunch of searching here and elsewhere, but most of the answers I found relate to those using lathes etc.

I recently acquired Swedish Mauser sporter which has a 30 cal barrel (308 I think) attached. I guess that someone years ago took a standard Swede, drilled and tapped for scope, and put a 30 cal barrel on it instead of the original 6.5mm.

I am considering removing the 30 cal barrel and putting on a heavy 6.5x55 barrel to make a 6.5 Swede target rifle. Before I undertake such a project, I'd like to hear from anyone with experience of doing this.

How hard is this to do?
Any specialized tools required?
What problems were encountered in removing the old barrel and installing/fitting the new one?

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith in Bay Area or Sacramento who could help with this? Basically, if specialized tools are needed to pull off the old barrel, install the new one and ream the chamber to fit, I would probably need a gunsmith's help, or at least advice from someone who has done this before.

I read elsewhere that the large ring mausers were quite difficult to remove a barrel from, but the small rings were easier. I don't know if this is true or not. Anyone got any experience of this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

01-04-2008, 8:12 PM
You will need specialized tools.
At the bare minimum:
Barrel Vise
Action Wrench
Chammber Reamer
Headspace gauges

You may also need a lathe too.

Re-barreling mausers is not a "common hand tools" project.

01-04-2008, 9:25 PM
Well, I just found out (courtesy of the Dutchman, thanks!) that this is an original Swede 94 carbine barrel in 6.5x55 but it has a funky extension on the end to make it legal length pre-1968. The extension has approximately a 30 caliber width, hence I thought it was 30 caliber. With a flashlight looking up the muzzle you can see the 6.5 mm barrel about half an inch back.

So looks like I won't have to mess with the barrel after all :-)

01-06-2008, 12:15 AM
...it has a funky extension on the end to make it legal length pre-1968....What? The gun had to be 5'11" rather then the standard issue 5'9" length? That last thing I would ever call a m96 sweed is too short!

01-06-2008, 4:24 PM
The swedish mauser is an 1894 carbine, so has a standard barrel length of 17 inches.

It doesn't shoot as well as my 96 Swede, I think that the barrel is a bit worn and almost a foot shorter (17 vs 27 inches) than the regular 96 Swede.

So, anyone in the San Fran Bay Area know/have tools to remove a small ring Mauser barrel? I'd love to replace it with a match grade sporter barrel. If so please let me know.