PDA

View Full Version : Finally pulled the trigger and bought a bow

Hispanic_Hercules
08-20-2013, 11:54 PM
I have been thinking about purchasing a bow for the last few years, but have never pulled the trigger. A killer deal came my way through a buddy at work which I could not refuse so I finally broke down and purchased one. Being there is an outdoor archery club 5 minutes from my house and a new indoor club, Absolute Archery in Shingle Springs opening shortly, I figured it was about time to learn how to shoot an arrow in preparation for the zombie apocalypse lol. My buddy whom hooked me up with the bow also took me up to the owners house of Absolute Archery, Darren Mack, and introduced me too him and his son. Both are great guys. Judging by all the products he will be carrying, this place is going to be legit for both products and indoor archery as winter is approaching...

This is the bow I ended up picking up: 2009 Bowtech Sentinel, 70lb limbs. Spott hogg hunter hoggit 5 pin .019 sight, Rip cord code red rest, 1 dozen PSE x weave arrows and hard case..

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/techna04r1/20130813_230352_resized_1_zpsbe99c52b.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/techna04r1/media/20130813_230352_resized_1_zpsbe99c52b.jpg.html)

shooterbill
08-21-2013, 1:02 PM
Very cool. I hope you like archery. You can learn a lot by attending local 3-D shoots. Check out the CBH site for schedules.

Thanatos2203
08-21-2013, 3:12 PM
My shooting buddy runs a similar era bowtech; you will not be disappointed. After the initial costs, archery is way cheaper than shooting guns and fun for something new and different. Sounds like you are up by El Dorado Bowman?

diverwcw
08-21-2013, 3:13 PM
I love shooting archery, I just don't do it enough.

mif_slim
08-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Yeah, up front I think archery can cost as much as firearms. But in the long run you save since your not dumping 40-100 dollars on ammo per range. if you shoot well and have quality arrows, it should last you a long time. I have some aluminum arrows I've had since 1994 and still shoots great. haha..

VictorFranko
08-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Time to stop saying "I pulled the trigger" and start saying "I pulled the string".
I keep saying to myself that I'm going to get back into it, but never seem to.

Thanatos2203
08-22-2013, 2:07 PM
Time to stop saying "I pulled the trigger" and start saying "I pulled the string".
I keep saying to myself that I'm going to get back into it, but never seem to.

Haha but with a release technically you are still pulling the trigger, no?

Hispanic_Hercules
08-22-2013, 9:38 PM
Haha but with a release technically you are still pulling the trigger, no?

LOL very true. Purchased a scott little bitty goose and it does have a trigger :party:

My shooting buddy runs a similar era bowtech; you will not be disappointed. After the initial costs, archery is way cheaper than shooting guns and fun for something new and different. Sounds like you are up by El Dorado Bowman?

Yes sir, will be out there Sunday practicing..

wjc
08-24-2013, 7:47 PM
Nice bow...congrats.

BTW, don't ever "dry fire" it. I could tell you stories of shattered bows that would make your hair curl.

:43:

Hispanic_Hercules
08-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Nice bow...congrats.

BTW, don't ever "dry fire" it. I could tell you stories of shattered bows that would make your hair curl.

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware of the dry fire until a friend told me about it. After seeing vids on youtube, looks expensive.

wjc
08-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware of the dry fire until a friend told me about it. After seeing vids on youtube, looks expensive.

...and it can be painful.

:D

socalbowhunter
08-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Nice bow Hercules. Welcome to the club.

shooter41022
08-26-2013, 11:35 PM
very cool. dont know a lot about em but been keeping an eye out myself for an entry compound bow and now after reading that absolute archery will be less than 2 miles away from my parents place looks like ill be on the same boat soon.

Ron Swanson
08-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Based on how things are going a bow might be my next purchase.

lrj812
08-27-2013, 8:12 AM
I re entered the archery sport after a 30 year absence. Purchased a new compound bow and all the cool accessories. I benefited from buying new from an established pro shop because so much had changed and there are so many products to choose from. I might have bought used if I had more experience or a trusted experienced archer friend. I had neither.

I don't always pay retail but when I do it's because I am paying for expert advice. In this case it was money well spent from equipment selection to actually shooting a good number of arrows (with coaching) to compare bows.

onewheelwes
08-29-2013, 7:35 PM
Nice Bow HH. Great decision to pull the release!

Hispanic_Hercules
08-29-2013, 8:47 PM
very cool. dont know a lot about em but been keeping an eye out myself for an entry compound bow and now after reading that absolute archery will be less than 2 miles away from my parents place looks like ill be on the same boat soon.

Thanks guys.. Yes I went up there yesterday and I picked up some new accessories. Darren is still getting the store together, but it is up and running and open for business. I was told I needed longer arrows by another archery shop, but after going to his shop and drawing my bow back with my current arrows in place, he said mine were fine and there was no need to waste money on something I didn't need. I was taken back by his honesty as most places would have jumped on the chance to take my money as I am new to the sport and just learning. While I was there I checked out the indoor range, pretty nice place. He is supposed to get a league up and running by November. Cant wait.

Ninask
08-29-2013, 8:58 PM
A bow with training wheels:)

Bongos
08-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys.. Yes I went up there yesterday and I picked up some new accessories. Darren is still getting the store together, but it is up and running and open for business. I was told I needed longer arrows by another archery shop, but after going to his shop and drawing my bow back with my current arrows in place, he said mine were fine and there was no need to waste money on something I didn't need. I was taken back by his honesty as most places would have jumped on the chance to take my money as I am new to the sport and just learning. While I was there I checked out the indoor range, pretty nice place. He is supposed to get a league up and running by November. Cant wait.

Thing is compound bows are very custom, until very recent, each bow requires the correct wheels for the individual draw length, just because it might be a great deal doesn't mean it's going to fit you... sounds like you have a longer draw length (DL) than the bow, thus the longer arrows suggestion. if this is the case, you should ask the bowtech the DL on the bow and your DL, if you are shooting a shorter DL bow, you will ruin your muscle memory because you are not shooting the correct bow in the first place. The fix is simple, ask the bowtech (or you can do it yourself) find the correct wheel for your DL, used wheels are commonly bought and sold all over ArcheryTalk since it's common practice to change out the wheels when buying a used bow.

Word of warning, Archery is highly addictive, the compound player tend to shell over $1500 into their EQ, looks like you have some good gear, the only problem is, you will get to a point (about 3 to 4 months) when it becomes ridiculously boring, but already vest so much money into the bow. The reason lots of seasoned Archers refers "Compound Bows as Training Wheels" is because before long it doesn't take much skill to hit the bull's-eye at 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60 yards. The EQ does it for you, it's like shooting a scoped rifle. Eventually you will move over to Recurves, then longbows, then horsebows.. way way more challenging.. just you, the Stick, string and arrow...no drop down rest, no sights, no stabilizers, no sling, no 80% let off.. ALL SKILL.. 1000% satisfaction when you score a perfect Robinhood!!!

Thanatos2203
08-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Thing is compound bows are very custom, until very recent, each bow requires the correct wheels for the individual draw length, just because it might be a great deal doesn't mean it's going to fit you... sounds like you have a longer draw length (DL) than the bow, thus the longer arrows suggestion. if this is the case, you should ask the bowtech the DL on the bow and your DL, if you are shooting a shorter DL bow, you will ruin your muscle memory because you are not shooting the correct bow in the first place. The fix is simple, ask the bowtech (or you can do it yourself) find the correct wheel for your DL, used wheels are commonly bought and sold all over ArcheryTalk since it's common practice to change out the wheels when buying a used bow.

Minor differences in the DL can also be compensated for by the type of release you use. I don't know what used cams run for but a simple release like the T.R.U. Ball Stinger is cheap and plenty long. Others are even adjustable. Might just solve the problem without having to pay for cams and labor.

wjc
08-30-2013, 7:33 PM
A bow with training wheels:)

...and the trad v. compound war begins.

Thanatos2203
08-30-2013, 8:41 PM
I'm surprised how many traditional shooters there are on this forum.

Hispanic_Hercules
08-30-2013, 9:05 PM

Word of warning, Archery is highly addictive, the compound player tend to shell over $1500 into their EQ, looks like you have some good gear, the only problem is, you will get to a point (about 3 to 4 months) when it becomes ridiculously boring, but already vest so much money into the bow. The reason lots of seasoned Archers refers "Compound Bows as Training Wheels" is because before long it doesn't take much skill to hit the bull's-eye at 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60 yards. The EQ does it for you, it's like shooting a scoped rifle. Eventually you will move over to Recurves, then longbows, then horsebows.. way way more challenging.. just you, the Stick, string and arrow...no drop down rest, no sights, no stabilizers, no sling, no 80% let off.. ALL SKILL.. 1000% satisfaction when you score a perfect Robinhood!!!

Thanks for the heads up. Not knowing anything about bow's, I took my buddy who's life revolves around archery and bow hunting up with me when purchasing it. He ensured me it was going to be adjustable for my draw length before I purchased it. I took it up to the shop and they adjusted the bow to fit my draw length and now all is great. I probably will get into the recurves eventually, but as for now, I am just getting into compound bow shooting as I want to go bow hunting for elk and deer next year up in Colorado and idaho.

Triad
08-30-2013, 9:58 PM
I just bought a Hoyt Charger last month. I am having a lot of fun learning. My aim is getting better :D

igorts
08-30-2013, 10:01 PM
anyone going to State 900 shoot?

SOAR79
08-30-2013, 10:11 PM
I've been wanting to do the same thing

igorts
08-30-2013, 10:38 PM
join ArcheryTalk, lots of info

Bongos
08-31-2013, 9:21 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Not knowing anything about bow's, I took my buddy who's life revolves around archery and bow hunting up with me when purchasing it. He ensured me it was going to be adjustable for my draw length before I purchased it. I took it up to the shop and they adjusted the bow to fit my draw length and now all is great. I probably will get into the recurves eventually, but as for now, I am just getting into compound bow shooting as I want to go bow hunting for elk and deer next year up in Colorado and idaho.

Though I love Traditional Archery more than any other form of Archery, if I were to go hunting for boar, elk or deer, I would go with a compound. The reason is, it will be a very humane kill, compound bows are nearing crossbow power (+400fps), with a +400 grain arrow with speeds of over +300 fps, the best traditional bows I shoot which is a 48lb Toekle Whip slinging a 413 grn arrow (29.5" Axis 125 Broadhead) only can achieve about 180fps

Sure it will still kill the animal but with the lower speed, the animal have a better time to react and the arrow can miss the boiler room

igorts
08-31-2013, 9:43 AM
big game minimum recommended KE is 66, need speed and heavy arrow or good combo (:-)
I use calc from here:
http://utopiaprogramming.com/ke/ke.php

Citadelgrad87
08-31-2013, 1:28 PM
I did the same about a year ago, bought a solid beginner bow, PSE stinger. I put top notch sights, release, rest, etc. that way, if I feel the need to upgrade, I can keep my stuff and easily unload the bare bow. I can hit a silver dollar at 20 y consistently,and want to take a boar with it.

fresnohunter
09-06-2013, 4:10 PM
Archery is a lot of fun, been doing it for 3 yrs and went from a beginner to pretty good shooter. I am a member at Maya in Roseville. I shoot a lot of 3d tourneys , I think I have shot about 10 this yr.
Darrin is a good guy, the most knowledgeable at the other Archery shop when he worked there. Glad that he has his own place. Need to stop by and check it out.