PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a gun locker in their car?

Blue
01-04-2008, 2:56 PM
I was thinking that it'd be kind of neat to have a built in transportation "safe" area in my Suburban. I was thinking of building something that fit in the rear most portion that was maybe 4" tall and had a tilt up type lid that can be locked down. Cover it with factory color carpet and people looking in the windows (cops or thieves) probably wouldn't notice it. It'd be great for taking rifles to the range or shooting trips and not have to worry about someone breaking into my truck and stealing all of my guns right out of the back of it.

FEDUPWBS
01-04-2008, 2:59 PM
They make something that you are needing for service vans. But they have a really long drawer that rolls out . And that is a great idea if camouflaged correctly probably not found in a theft situation.

Californio
01-04-2008, 5:09 PM
Great Idea.

I had a tool box in my Jeep CJ7 that went under the rear seat. With the rear seat bolted to the lid of the box and carpet cut to cover the box in front about 6" high box, no one could tell. Welded custom partitions into the box so all I had to do was lift the top tray of my tool box and set it into Jeep box. If you do it right no one will be able to tell, just will loose a little headroom in the third row.

hitman13
01-04-2008, 5:20 PM
iirc my old scoutmaster ( a member on here) had one of the rolling tool box ones in his old van. maybe her will chime in.

only thing i can see wrong with this is that if you are storing handguns in it i think that if it is bolted to the vehicle it becomes a utility compartment instead of a locked container. may want to ask someone else more knowledgeable about that though

PressCheck
01-04-2008, 5:23 PM
Yup. I have a pistol lock box bolted down on the "hump" between the front seats.

Solidmch
01-04-2008, 9:54 PM
I keep this in my trunk. It Is nice and secure in its sleeve. I can go to the indoor ranger at lunch I can then remove it and put it into another sleeve in my office.

http://www.truckaccessoryguy.com/product/AS110/THE_SECURITY_BOX.html

Paul
01-05-2008, 2:56 PM
I'm 90% certain I'm going to buy one following a recent break-in. I'll bolt in down in the back of my SUV and likely run DC power into it to charge the toys that will hide in there along with the pistol.

What Just Happened?
01-05-2008, 4:06 PM
only thing i can see wrong with this is that if you are storing handguns in it i think that if it is bolted to the vehicle it becomes a utility compartment instead of a locked container. may want to ask someone else more knowledgeable about that though

I've heard that too.

tygerpaw
01-05-2008, 7:08 PM
I know a guy who has one in his suburban. Its about 10" tall, 4 feet wide, and about 6 feet long. It has two drawers with combo locks and is carpeted with sections for guns and ammo. Made of steel. You have to pull out the very back seat, but it is sweet! If I only had two kids instead of 4, I'd get one.

Lethal_addict
01-05-2008, 7:16 PM
I have a truck vault... So yes I do...

U2BassAce
01-05-2008, 8:09 PM
Just don't put handguns in there and you are good!:cool:

tygerpaw
01-05-2008, 9:47 PM
Just don't put handguns in there and you are good!:cool:

Why, is it considered a glove compartment or utility compartment?

Matt C
01-05-2008, 9:50 PM
Why, is it considered a glove compartment or utility compartment?

It think it might be. It's probably a case of 58 DAs/do you want to be a test case.

tygerpaw
01-05-2008, 9:59 PM
If I had a vault bolted into the back of my Suburban, I'd put a handgun in there. The DOJ or BOF says you cant put it in a glove compartment or utility compartment. I'm assuming by utility compartment they mean the center console compartment. I would be comfortable with taking the risk that a locked vault in the back of my Suburban would be considered a "trunk".

Matt C
01-05-2008, 10:05 PM
If I had a vault bolted into the back of my Suburban, I'd put a handgun in there. The DOJ or BOF says you cant put it in a glove compartment or utility compartment. I'm assuming by utility compartment they mean the center console compartment. I would be comfortable with taking the risk that a locked vault in the back of my Suburban would be considered a "trunk".

Yeah, if it was inaccessible from the driver's seat I would think you'd be ok.

caliboy1321
01-06-2008, 11:57 AM
What about under the driver seat if it is not bolted down? can the gun have a loaded mag in it if it is in the locked box? or only next to it?

FortCourageArmory
01-06-2008, 12:57 PM
These guys have the "Truck Vault" I think you all are referring to:

http://www.truckvault.com/

I was going to install one in my F-150 but I didn't feel like paying $1,800 for one. So, I built one myself and installed it in the bed of the truck. I mad it out of " plywood, 2x10's, and 1" boards. Total cost was a couple hundred dollars and a few weekends worth of work. Been using it for four years now and I still like it. When the tailgate is closed and locked, the only way someone is going to get into my gun vault is with a saw and a lot of noise. It qualifies as a hard-sided locking storage area for ALL gun transport requirements.

E Pluribus Unum
01-06-2008, 1:32 PM
What about under the driver seat if it is not bolted down? can the gun have a loaded mag in it if it is in the locked box? or only next to it?

Loaded means rounds in the gun, not the magazine. If the rounds are in the magazine and the magazine is in the gun, it's loaded; everything else is kosher.

Stormfeather
01-06-2008, 2:59 PM
Yup. I have a pistol lock box bolted down on the "hump" between the front seats.

Same here, comes with the bio-metric lock, locked and loaded at all times!

Ak47owner
01-06-2008, 6:23 PM
Can someone give me some more info on this. It would be cool and make me feel better knowing i can protect my family driving in a bad area, but would'nt it have to be in a vault type thing and is it "legal" to always keep a gun in the vehicle in this vault?

Vehicle being a pick-up truck. I know you can do this with RV's because they are considered a extended part of the home.

Solidmch
01-07-2008, 8:25 PM
Where does it say it cannot be secured while driving? It is not permanent. It is dangerous to have a 15 pound object unsecure in your car!

40mph x 15lb=600 lb object hitting you.

I have seen 1lb objects hit kids in a 25mph crash and cause serious injury.

I keep mine in the trunk. The trunk is a secure container bolted to the car.

Your utility is your center consol. Your glove box is your glovebox.

12026.1. (a) Section 12025 shall not be construed to prohibit any
citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or
is temporarily within this state, and who is not within the excepted
classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or
Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, from
transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other firearm
capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that the
following applies to the firearm:
(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the
vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than
the utility or glove compartment.
(2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any
motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the firearm,
the firearm is contained within a locked container.
(b) The provisions of this section do not prohibit or limit the
otherwise lawful carrying or transportation of any pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in
accordance with this chapter.
(c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure
container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock,
combination lock, or similar locking device.

m24armorer
01-08-2008, 6:35 PM
State law mandates I have one for transport of dangerous weapons.

I copied the same one ATF in San Jose uses in the Suburban they have. From the outside looking in everything looks normal. Open the rear doors and a long locked drawer can pull out with all the goodies.

Now I'm trying to come up with something for my old Civic.

Blue
01-08-2008, 8:32 PM
Now I'm trying to come up with something for my old Civic.

I can CNC plasma any weird plates that you need :43: