PDA

View Full Version : High cap mag facts from Turners mouths

dondo
01-04-2008, 2:30 PM
I was at Fountain valley turners today and overheard the usual mall ninja gun counter banter of knockdown power and double taps by guys weighing 400 lbs. I was pawing a Springfield M1A loaded in sweet walnut and there was some conversation of using pre ban high cap mags. A turners employee said "even if you have pre ban mags for a pre ban M1A, you can only use those mags in a pre ban gun. It would be against the law to use legally owned pre ban mags in the post ban rifle." I was going to open my mouth but, it suddenly didn't seem worth it. By the looks of them they were more concerned about cramming more than ten donuts in their mouth than more than ten rounds in a magazine.

Soldier415
01-04-2008, 2:31 PM
I was at Fountain valley turners today and overheard the usual mall ninja gun counter banter of knockdown power and double taps by guys weighing 400 lbs. I was pawing a Springfield M1A loaded in sweet walnut and there was some conversation of using pre ban high cap mags. A turners employee said "even if you have pre ban mags for a pre ban M1A, you can only use those mags in a pre ban gun. It would be against the law to use legally owned pre ban mags in the post ban rifle." I was going to open my mouth but, it suddenly didn't seem worth it. By the looks of them they were more concerned about cramming more than ten donuts in their mouth than more than ten rounds in a magazine.

I guess they serve bowls of stupid for breakfast at the local diner

dondo
01-04-2008, 2:34 PM
What sucks is when you try to at least open the topic up about OLL's and Cal laws, there seems to be an anger from people. Ignorance. When I heard that I could put together an AR legally (a year and a half ago) I didnt question it. I came right here and read and whipped out my credit card. Oh well. At least some people get it.

trendar5
01-04-2008, 2:35 PM
That's almost as good as the one I heard in a local Buffoon & Guns. A lady was trying to decide between a big, "visual deterrent" first-time-owner pistol, or some pepper spray. The wizard behind the counter said she would not be legally justified in shooting an armed-with-a-gun intruder until they were within about 10 feet.

dondo
01-04-2008, 2:39 PM
That's almost as good as the one I heard in a local Buffoon & Guns. A lady was trying to decide between a big, "visual deterrent" first-time-owner pistol, or some pepper spray. The wizard behind the counter said she would not be legally justified in shooting an armed-with-a-gun intruder until they were within about 10 feet.
They should just make ammunition that explodes at 12 feet. Think of the children.

Blue
01-04-2008, 2:44 PM

:rofl2: which shop was this? The SS?

Spitfire75
01-04-2008, 5:10 PM
More importantly, the Turner's in FV has an M1A in stock???? That's my neighborhood Turner's (used to be, anyway) and they haven't had any M1As for months! How much was it?

The SoCal Gunner
01-04-2008, 5:23 PM
I witnessed a Big 5 guy offer an air rifle to a lady who wanted something to scare off the coyotes while walking her dog. Said the cops would know its not a real gun if someone called about a "lady with a gun".

BlackReef
01-04-2008, 5:37 PM
Anyone that goes to San Marcos turners, beware of the Big guy with a beard and long hair. He is a real nice, personable guy, but he told me that shaving the sear in my trigger group will give me full auto. I actually believed him (I was new at the AR game, ok? hehe) until I researched and found out what a moron he was. Some guy could have gone home and shaved his sear and blew himself up if he would have listened to the guy at Turners.

Im gonna go make some rice-a-roni now. My girl is not home to make dinner and im pissed

dondo
01-04-2008, 5:41 PM
More importantly, the Turner's in FV has an M1A in stock???? That's my neighborhood Turner's (used to be, anyway) and they haven't had any M1As for months! How much was it?
They have two M1A's loaded one with black fibreglass stock for 1599.00 and a walnut stock M1A for 1699.00. They also have 2 SOCOM 2 (with cluster rail) for 1899.00. Just put them up on the rack. They will go fast. I was going to put a down on the M1 but really, spending 2k on a rifle is the last thing I should do right now. Now a 500 dollar Henderson Defense AK47 is another story.......

psriley
01-04-2008, 6:47 PM
Nice post count.

socalguns
01-04-2008, 7:15 PM
*ahem* I believe the sear he was talking about is between your legs :D

taloft
01-04-2008, 9:09 PM
You can get full auto by shaving the sear of a semi auto. The problem lies in getting the gun to stop firing when you let go of the trigger.:eek: bad mojo.

Whenever you hear something like the preban mag issue don't get confrontational, just ask them what their source of information is or, to site the relevant pc. When they fail to produce a good source of information most people will doubt the veracity of what is being said by this person. This allows you to discredit what is being said without looking like a *****. You may save someone from fud without irritating the clown behind the counter.

ar15barrels
01-04-2008, 9:09 PM
Nice post count.

Yours too, but pentiums are faster. ;)

acolytes
01-04-2008, 9:23 PM
They have two M1A's loaded one with black fibreglass stock for 1599.00 and a walnut stock M1A for 1699.00. They also have 2 SOCOM 2 (with cluster rail) for 1899.00. Just put them up on the rack. They will go fast. I was going to put a down on the M1 but really, spending 2k on a rifle is the last thing I should do right now. Now a 500 dollar Henderson Defense AK47 is another story.......

Hey Dondo, did Pete from henderson defense email you? I put my name on the list for one of their ak's and he emailed me a couple days ago and said one was available.

Boomer1961
01-04-2008, 9:55 PM
Anyone that goes to San Marcos turners, beware of the Big guy with a beard and long hair. He is a real nice, personable guy, but he told me that shaving the sear in my trigger group will give me full auto. I actually believed him (I was new at the AR game, ok? hehe) until I researched and found out what a moron he was. Some guy could have gone home and shaved his sear and blew himself up if he would have listened to the guy at Turners.

Im gonna go make some rice-a-roni now. My girl is not home to make dinner and im pissed

Shaving the sear is ol' gun lore and now urban/internet legend.

I heard the same thing when I was a child and into firearms for the first time.

Funny thing was the first firearm I bought was an open bolt 9mm and that bit of internet legend or ol' gun lore was true for that particular firearm, and please don't ask how I know this because I was a young stupid teenager.

Bladewurk
01-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Yeah well the good old US Government actually printed a cartoon manual warning against doing this very mod to M1 Garands!:confused::confused:

Quiet
01-04-2008, 10:18 PM
A turners employee said "even if you have pre ban mags for a pre ban M1A, you can only use those mags in a pre ban gun. It would be against the law to use legally owned pre ban mags in the post ban rifle."

This is probably feed to the employees when they get "trained" to work at Turner's. Because the employees at the San Berdo Turner's said the same thing.

USN CHIEF
01-04-2008, 10:25 PM
I have been to alot of gun stores and just about every gun store has a freaking idiot that thinks he/she knows it all. Is it a California Law for gun stores to hire stupid people like that or is it store policy:confused:

Ech0Sierra
01-04-2008, 11:15 PM
I think Turner's IS the definition of Cover Your @$$. One of their clerks thought that M1As were assault weapons that were cleared by the BoF. I'd hate to see such good guns go to waste being peddled by those morons.

FreedomIsNotFree
01-05-2008, 4:23 AM
I would have baited him into even further embarrassment. You should have asked him about rebuilding magazines.

dondo
01-05-2008, 8:21 AM
Hey Dondo, did Pete from henderson defense email you? I put my name on the list for one of their ak's and he emailed me a couple days ago and said one was available.
Yes he did my good man. I am going to respond to him in just a bit. I am deciding between an AK74 or an AK47. I am going to get both but thier 74 is kick azz. I am on the list and in no complete hurry so go for it!

dondo
01-05-2008, 8:25 AM
This is probably feed to the employees when they get "trained" to work at Turner's. Because the employees at the San Berdo Turner's said the same thing.
Funny thing is, he is an "upper" echelon employee, if that means anything. Makes me want to open my own Gun/Book/Ultra cool store. Something completely different, something that blows the doors off the current fodder. Unles I attach a strip club to it, I just don't think there is enough money in it.

kermit315
01-05-2008, 9:55 AM
that sounds like the counter guy at Shooters Paradise that told me you cant get a marlin .22 in california with more than a ten round tube magazine, because they are illegal. I wanted to correct him, but though why bother, he will just blow me off anyway, and I go in there enough to shoot it isnt worth creating the friction.

ZombieKiller
01-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Well......I have something positive to say about Turner's.

They have the hard to fond green Powerbait that is always sold out at WalMart.

Hopi
01-05-2008, 11:01 AM
I agree that they should be versed in the regs., but, it seems unreasonable to ask $9/hr employees to understand these specific legal requirements.........legal requirements that aren't even correctly understood by lawyers, legislators, DA's, and the DOJ.

dondo
01-05-2008, 11:18 AM
I agree that they should be versed in the regs., but, it seems unreasonable to ask $9/hr employees to understand these specific legal requirements.........legal requirements that aren't even correctly understood by lawyers, legislators, DA's, and the DOJ.
I totally agree, however those same employees just love to give their second hand misinterpretation of said laws. I like Turners actually. I think the gun counter bullcrap is in just about every gun store, minus Ades. I like Henry over at the Fountain Valley turners so I go by there and will still buy from him.

SoCalDep
01-05-2008, 5:47 PM
I worked at Turners Reseda for a while...I liked it and worked with some good people. I also worked with some fools.

The problem is the economics as was pointed out earlier...They can't retain the good ones and they all eventually move on. The idiots seem much less inclined to leave.

I will say that I'm dissapointed with the current service at the one I frequent, and I rarely go there anymore. Too bad too. I think we need all the gun shops we can get...

Greg-Dawg
01-05-2008, 5:58 PM
That's why there's always a "WANTED" sign at the entrance.

bigthaiboy
01-05-2008, 6:16 PM
In December 2006, I was told by an employee at Turners Norwalk, that on the 1st Jan '07, a new CA law would come into force, where all new handguns being sold in CA had to have a chamber round indicator AND a magazine disconnect feature, which would mean handguns like 1911s could no longer be sold in CA, so if I wanted one, to buy one before the new year.

It's good that Turners employees are reading up on new CA gun laws, but understanding what it all actually means would be kind of useful.

JPglee1
01-05-2008, 6:26 PM

Dont feel bad, my ol' lady IS home and wont make dinner...or rather dont know how to cook dinner outside of nuking something haha

BUT she has some other nice attributes that make up for it... :rolleyes:

:D

J

Fjold
01-05-2008, 7:04 PM
I have been to alot of gun stores and just about every gun store has a freaking idiot that thinks he/she knows it all. Is it a California Law for gun stores to hire stupid people like that or is it store policy:confused:

There's Ten Percent Firearms they're an exception.

Becky would never BS anyone, Dean doesn't say anything and then there's Wes...Hmm, maybe you're correct after all?

:rolleyes:

Ech0Sierra
01-05-2008, 7:17 PM
Haha, the only people who WANT to work for medium-box gun stores (Turner's/Wal-Mart) are knowitalls who need to spread their knowledge *cough*:icon_bs:*cough.

Maddog5150
01-05-2008, 7:51 PM
Haha, the only people who WANT to work for medium-box gun stores (Turner's/Wal-Mart) are knowitalls who need to spread their knowledge *cough*:icon_bs:*cough.

yeah because heaven forbids there are people who want to work there because they need a job or get to work their way through college by being around guns .
Too bad those damn turners lackies just arnt perfect like you. :rolleyes: Also shame on them for being human.

Mac
01-05-2008, 8:08 PM

hawk81
01-05-2008, 8:45 PM
Turners salesman are idiots.:)

dondo
01-05-2008, 8:49 PM
Thats pretty harsh. Fountain valley has a couple good guys. Russ, Henry, and Brian are all good guys and keep pretty mum on the mall ninja stuff. There are some barneys though that will spin yarn all day.

Maddog5150
01-05-2008, 8:58 PM

So your saying they are all idiots?

hawk81
01-06-2008, 2:07 PM
Let me rephrase that. Most of them are uninformed and not properly trained, and they act like they are the final word, when it comes to guns. Oh and some of them think they are attorneys, and I swear they make up laws that don't exist.

Maddog5150
01-06-2008, 2:51 PM
Oh and some of them think they are attorneys, and I swear they make up laws that don't exist.

Thats like the pot calling the kettle black because NO ONE here acts like they are attorneys :rolleyes:

elroy
01-06-2008, 3:07 PM
i doubt turners even pays the kids 9$ ,, i shop at FV on occasion , and it is what it is , a sporting goods store with a bunch of guns , focused on hunting/fishing , not a dedicated gun shop , and as such they tend to have better deals than a real GS ,,, i don't go there for education or anything OLL related , but i do like the idea of the combo GS/stripbar , as a buisness model , what better way to get every last dollar out of a guy's pocket ?

FortCourageArmory
01-06-2008, 3:07 PM
It's true that the "Gun Store Know-It-All" is common in this industry. I worked at the Reseda Turners and National Guns in Northridge many years ago and we had our share of idiots. Now that I have my own store, I post a sign on the wall that reads, "Please Note...We Don't Know Everything!" Just so my customers know...... It's worked so far. :)

Richie Rich
01-06-2008, 3:11 PM

I have dealt with him before, I can assure you he was messing with you. Lets just say he is one of us.....

slowfire
01-06-2008, 3:11 PM
I miss the days when the people at the firearms counters were also shooters. Back then it was actually fun. You could ask them if they ever shot this or that and if they hadn't they'd call another employee who had. Now days, the kids behind the counter don't even own a real gun much less have much experience with them outside of Xbox and PLaystation.:(

capo
01-06-2008, 3:14 PM
The Turners in Reseda hired some retard who likes to take the rifles and play with them, and run around behind the counter playing Counter Strike with them.

Idiots.

45DAVID1
01-07-2008, 9:09 AM
They are there to sell inventory and make money. They could care less about giving good/right info as long as they are able to make the sale and get the commission. Give them a break and let them do their job. We all know whats right and whats wrong so ignore them and get what you want. If you don't like them don't go there and if you want to get bit by a tiger get blitzed and f with it!

DJDace
01-07-2008, 12:21 PM
The Turners in Reseda hired some retard who likes to take the rifles and play with them, and run around behind the counter playing Counter Strike with them.

Idiots.

I haven't seen that guy in there and I frequent the Reseda Turner's ALOT. Most of the guys that work there are pretty stand up folks. They always help my wife and I out, they order in special firearms for me well below MSRP.

What I DO find funny about that store, is that the over-priced "Custom" Remington 700 with the Leupold target knob scope finally sold for $2000 :)

retired
01-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Well, everytime I have gone into the Turner's in Riverside (now moved to Corona), I have, with one exception, had no problem with their knowledge. I bought a Ruger MK III and no one knew or was willing to show me how to dissassemble/reassemble the gun.

The mgr. wasn't there that day or he would have. I was able to get it taken care of elsewhere.

Other than that, I found some helpful and knowledgeable employees. Maddog 5150 is one of those employees. Not only did he help me when I was trying to select a surefire flashlight, when I asked him questions about certain firearms, he knew the answer or wasn't afraid to ask for help from a more knowledgeable employee.

They may not be OLL knowledgeable, but I can go elsewhere for that; tho I was told today, if it is Ca. legal, they can get it for me. Each to his own.