PDA

View Full Version : Mosin restoration

serjm1a1
08-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Very excited to see this new section in Cal guns. Anyway, I just put a Mosin Nagant on layaway at Ammo bros and I really want it to look as pristine as possible, any tips on refreshing ?

Cadre
08-20-2013, 3:06 PM
Very excited to see this new section in Cal guns. Anyway, I just put a Mosin Nagant on layaway at Ammo bros and I really want it to look as pristine as possible, any tips on refreshing ?

keep it simple.

Marcus von W.
08-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Refinishing is NOT restoring. It is Bubba work, plain and simple, F'ing up a historical rifle and destroying all value and collectability.

You want a tip? Here's one, the only one that matters: IT'S FINE EXACTLY THE WAY IT IS. LEAVE IT ALONE!

serjm1a1
08-21-2013, 7:19 AM
Refinishing is NOT restoring. It is Bubba work, plain and simple, F'ing up a historical rifle and destroying all value and collectability.

You want a tip? Here's one, the only one that matters: IT'S FINE EXACTLY THE WAY IT IS. LEAVE IT ALONE!

eh, still going to try and get the wood looking nice again

E Michael
08-21-2013, 7:24 AM
Ignore Marcus, he has a thing for alien sex devices.

serjm1a1
08-21-2013, 8:03 AM
Ignore Marcus, he has a thing for alien sex devices.

lol, I see.....I do see where he is coming from but Mosins are everywhere I doubt the value is going to go up

shinzen
08-21-2013, 8:49 AM
Two things you must read if you're getting a Mosin:
http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

And we can never forget the words of Ivan Chesnokov:
http://www.m1-garand-rifle.com/ivan-chesnokov.php

serjm1a1
08-21-2013, 8:53 AM
Two things you must read if you're getting a Mosin:
http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

And we can never forget the words of Ivan Chesnokov:
http://www.m1-garand-rifle.com/ivan-chesnokov.php

lol, Ivan's ok in my book! crazy bastard

mosinnagantm9130
08-21-2013, 10:49 AM
lol, I see.....I do see where he is coming from but Mosins are everywhere I doubt the value is going to go up

Mosin prices have more than doubled the last five years, so yeah....

serjm1a1
08-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Mosin prices have more than doubled the last five years, so yeah....

but there are so many I really don't think its going to keep going up, and my guess, only reason they have gone up in price is due to all the BS our government has been trying to pass

shinzen
08-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Same thing was said about the Russian SKS- I got mine when they were still going for $150....... Now it's $600 :D

serjm1a1
08-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Same thing was said about the Russian SKS- I got mine when they were still going for $150....... Now it's $600 :D

good point, well I guess its good I'm getting mine now....funny thing you mention SKS's...I started looking for one today, few years to late? lol

Chaos47
08-21-2013, 1:06 PM

Looking nice again?
It's how it should be, shellac is the proper finish.
Remember your rifle probably has been sitting around for 70+ years doing just fine till you bought it.

I agree don't do it.
If you have to refinish it, do it right and don't sand, don't stain, and use shellac.

E Michael
08-21-2013, 1:06 PM
You can buy a stock used and refinish the non matching stock that way you can always switch it back I'll look for a link when i get home

bigdawg86
08-21-2013, 1:12 PM
I just stripped the shellac off of my M91/30 because the finish was really rough. I decided that the natural appearance of the wood was awesome. It had a nice "stained character" from the original finish and wear on the gun.. Personally I don't like the shiny shellac, but I didn't want to "bubba" it either. So I stripped it and left it.

serjm1a1
08-21-2013, 1:18 PM
You can buy a stock used and refinish the non matching stock that way you can always switch it back I'll look for a link when i get home

That's a great idea, thanks!

serjm1a1
08-21-2013, 1:19 PM
I just stripped the shellac off of my M91/30 because the finish was really rough. I decided that the natural appearance of the wood was awesome. It had a nice "stained character" from the original finish and wear on the gun.. Personally I don't like the shiny shellac, but I didn't want to "bubba" it either. So I stripped it and left it.

yeah I def dont want to "bubba" my rifle, but I want it to look nice, I have seen some really nice touched up Mosins

bigdawg86
08-21-2013, 1:21 PM
yeah I def dont want to "bubba" my rifle, but I want it to look nice, I have seen some really nice touched up Mosins

With my particular mosin even the metal finish was really rough, so having a perfect refinished shellac stock mated with a beat receiver didn't work for me. So it matches, but looks "complete".

Cadre
08-21-2013, 1:23 PM
here's my bubba

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a458/seronian/DSC_0002_zps854ff06d.jpg (http://s1037.photobucket.com/user/seronian/media/DSC_0002_zps854ff06d.jpg.html)

davidb
08-21-2013, 1:41 PM
but there are so many I really don't think its going to keep going up, and my guess, only reason they have gone up in price is due to all the BS our government has been trying to pass

they are going up in price but who cares, when i got mine around 6 years ago it was $80, now theyre around $140...still not a high value gun by far and i dont see all this historical value people talk about in a rifle that was never issued, just sat in some soviet storage for decades (not talking about all mosins, just the big 5 91/30's so many people like myself bought)

do whatever you want to yours, ive been thinking shellac/russian red would look nice now that my finish is looking pretty crappy

bigdawg86
08-21-2013, 2:03 PM
here's my bubba

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a458/seronian/DSC_0002_zps854ff06d.jpg (http://s1037.photobucket.com/user/seronian/media/DSC_0002_zps854ff06d.jpg.html)

Thats pretty much how mine looks, just a dull finish with the natural wood underneath.

serjm1a1
08-21-2013, 2:05 PM
Thats pretty much how mine looks, just a dull finish with the natural wood underneath.

See, that looks really good to me, I just want to get the old flaky finish of and get a nice even look

JohnnyPark805
08-21-2013, 2:14 PM

maybe you should have bought a better rifle.

serjm1a1
08-21-2013, 2:16 PM
maybe you should have bought a better rifle.

Better as in better Mosin? or better rifle all together? I have a lot of rifles and they are all pretty nice. I want this rifle as a project, Its not like went looking for a brand new Mosin, I knew already the condition most are in.

Tom-ADC
08-21-2013, 2:20 PM

They made millions of these, its yours go for it and make it look like you want.
Maybe do a little research that a rare one didn't slip thru but chances are its just another one of a million or so.

serjm1a1
08-21-2013, 2:26 PM
They made millions of these, its yours go for it and make it look like you want.
Maybe do a little research that a rare one didn't slip thru but chances are its just another one of a million or so.

Yeah, iv looked into it, it has a hex receiver. that makes it slightly more valuable, dated 1936. Manufacture by Tula. Odds are its just one of those million that have been produced, as you stated.

nick
08-21-2013, 2:47 PM
lol, Ivan's ok in my book! crazy bastard

Nah, he's most likely a fake. That's not how Russians speak English, more of an American idea of how they do. FPSRussia, forum style, basically.

Besides, he got quite a few things wrong, which a Russian, or someone familiar with Russia, would've known better.

Still amusing though.

nick
08-21-2013, 2:51 PM
they are going up in price but who cares, when i got mine around 6 years ago it was $80, now theyre around $140...still not a high value gun by far and i dont see all this historical value people talk about in a rifle that was never issued, just sat in some soviet storage for decades (not talking about all mosins, just the big 5 91/30's so many people like myself bought)

do whatever you want to yours, ive been thinking shellac/russian red would look nice now that my finish is looking pretty crappy

Very few Mosins weren't issued (given the crunch for weapons they were in). Your Mosin was re-arsenalled, it's not unissued.

serjm1a1
08-21-2013, 2:53 PM
Nah, he's most likely a fake. That's not how Russians speak English, more of an American idea of how they do. FPSRussia, forum style, basically.

Besides, he got quite a few things wrong, which a Russian, or someone familiar with Russia, would've known better.

Still amusing though.

I was being sarcastic, guess I didn't do to good of a job lol

davidb
08-21-2013, 3:15 PM
Very few Mosins weren't issued (given the crunch for weapons they were in). Your Mosin was re-arsenalled, it's not unissued.

yeah i misspoke, most were issued, but the chance that mine saw combat is pretty much zero

serjm1a1
08-21-2013, 3:19 PM
yeah i misspoke, most were issued, but the chance that mine saw combat is pretty much zero

Whats your manufacture date on your Mosin?

E Michael
08-21-2013, 3:20 PM
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=X9130Set set of three for you to do what your heart desires :-D

serjm1a1
08-21-2013, 3:23 PM
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=X9130Set set of three for you to do what your heart desires :-D

dude, ****en awesome! thanks!

BruinGuy
08-21-2013, 3:24 PM

The chance that yours saw combat is actually extremely high, unless it was made post WWII. Even then there's a good chance.

That said, do what you want - it's your rifle. If you decide to sell it later, just don't be surprised if you can't find a buyer.

E Michael
08-21-2013, 3:25 PM
lol just noticed they are sold out, sorry. If you google mosin wood stocks you should get a few hits though.

nick
08-21-2013, 3:37 PM

A 1936? I'd say, the chances are pretty good :)

What makes you think so?

davidb
08-21-2013, 3:40 PM
Whats your manufacture date on your Mosin?

i havent looked into it since i bought the rifle but if im remembering correctly '45 or '46

i figured that close to the end of the war or the year after it wouldn't have seen action

serjm1a1
08-21-2013, 5:27 PM
i havent looked into it since i bought the rifle but if im remembering correctly '45 or '46

i figured that close to the end of the war or the year after it wouldn't have seen action

ah yeah, that sounds correct.

1337-Alpha
08-21-2013, 6:37 PM
I say mod it up if you don't intend to sell it. Those Mosin's were meant to be used and I mean REALLY used. They are built tough and it will probably outlast both of us. I'm currently working one up right now, the first step I am going to do is attaching this scope mount to the receiver:

http://www.rocksolidind.com/

After that I may throw on a bull barrel and put a new stock on it. These are fun little project guns in that you can get them cheap and build them up as you desire if you are not keeping it for historical reasons.

mosinnagantm9130
08-21-2013, 8:31 PM
but there are so many I really don't think its going to keep going up

People have said the same thing about every surplus rifle since...well, at least the 1940s.

They've been wrong every single time :D

serjm1a1
08-21-2013, 10:12 PM
I say mod it up if you don't intend to sell it. Those Mosin's were meant to be used and I mean REALLY used. They are built tough and it will probably outlast both of us. I'm currently working one up right now, the first step I am going to do is attaching this scope mount to the receiver:

http://www.rocksolidind.com/

After that I may throw on a bull barrel and put a new stock on it. These are fun little project guns in that you can get them cheap and build them up as you desire if you are not keeping it for historical reasons.

Nice, do you need to swap the bolt out for the bent bolt? or will the straight bolt work?

6mmintl
08-27-2013, 7:16 AM
Keep it in perspective, one rare one of 64 million

Varg Vikernes
08-27-2013, 7:34 AM

Right, guys were saying that when Mausers, Garands, and AK kits were $100.

serjm1a1
08-27-2013, 8:00 AM
Right, guys were saying that when Mausers, Garands, and AK kits were $100.

well then I guess its a good thing im getting mine now. I'v just recently got into firearms, about 2 years ago, so I don't go that far back

Varg Vikernes
08-27-2013, 9:16 AM
Just saying that you won't know how much that Mosin will be worth in 5-10 years.

Bobby Ricigliano
08-27-2013, 9:32 AM
Buy a beater C&R gun

Ask in the C&R threads about refinishing

Get tarred and feathered by the C&R Puritans

Rinse & repeat

serjm1a1
08-27-2013, 9:34 AM
Just saying that you won't know how much that Mosin will be worth in 5-10 years.

That's true, I just going to leave it as is. The most i'm going to do is get the cosmolin off. My girlfriend was the voice of reason, told me to leave as is to hold as much historical value as possible. That trumps cosmetics and I had to agree. Love that women.

Chaos47
08-27-2013, 12:46 PM
That's true, I just going to leave it as is. The most i'm going to do is get the cosmolin off. My girlfriend was the voice of reason, told me to leave as is to hold as much historical value as possible. That trumps cosmetics and I had to agree. Love that women.

I'm glad.
If the shellac is really flaking off like you say then you should read up on repairing shellac. The basic idea is to wet a cloth with denatured alcohol and rub the finish and move it to the places that need it. DA could totally remove the shellac or make it look worse too so you have to be careful. Some would probably consider this bubba too.

About the value, 91/30 just last year where going for sub 100 bucks now they are commonly sold for ~200. Who knows how much they will go up in the years to come, even if it is just 1 of 64 million.

serjm1a1
08-27-2013, 4:47 PM
I'm glad.
If the shellac is really flaking off like you say then you should read up on repairing shellac. The basic idea is to wet a cloth with denatured alcohol and rub the finish and move it to the places that need it. DA could totally remove the shellac or make it look worse too so you have to be careful. Some would probably consider this bubba too.

About the value, 91/30 just last year where going for sub 100 bucks now they are commonly sold for ~200. Who knows how much they will go up in the years to come, even if it is just 1 of 64 million.

Yeah, i'm just going to leave it as is. I will just do my best to preserve it.