PDA

View Full Version : Cold Steel Kukri Machete

desertjosh
08-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Does anybody know where I can buy/hold one locally in San Diego? This blade interests me, but I would like to feel it before I buy. Thanks for any input!

TheTallers8
08-23-2013, 5:53 PM
I've held one before, the handle is very rough but that will ensure a good grip. Good luck finding one there.

Volksgrenadier
08-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Seen the CS Kukri machetes at Turners before. Maybe give them a call. Believe from what I recall, blades on those are made in China.

GoodahSP
08-25-2013, 4:09 PM
Seen the CS Kukri machetes at Turners before. Maybe give them a call. Believe from what I recall, blades on those are made in China.

There are fake ones made in China. Majority of them are made in South Africa.

ADAM
08-25-2013, 6:34 PM
There are fake ones made in China. Majority of them are made in South Africa.
^^^
you have to look for them at blade forums to find the real one which will set you back 2-300 dollars

GoodahSP
08-25-2013, 6:55 PM
^^^
you have to look for them at blade forums to find the real one which will set you back 2-300 dollars

:confused: even the real Cold Steel Kukri machetes from Cold Steel itself are around $20 give or take a few dollars. Not sure where this price 2-300 dollar price is coming from.

frigginchi
08-25-2013, 7:02 PM
Under $20 on Amazon.

http://amzn.com/B000FJRR2K

ADAM
08-25-2013, 8:41 PM
watch this you will know which one i am talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=g__D5VuGGxE

GoodahSP
08-25-2013, 9:22 PM
watch this you will know which one i am talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=g__D5VuGGxE

Yes I know about that one. OP wasn't asking about that one. I've seen and held both live in person. Cold Steel in Ventura CA is a few blocks from where I work.

Mjollnir
08-27-2013, 9:17 PM
:confused: even the real Cold Steel Kukri machetes from Cold Steel itself are around $20 give or take a few dollars. Not sure where this price 2-300 dollar price is coming from.

I have never seen a true Cold Steel Kukri for less than 200.00.

Mjollnir
08-27-2013, 9:19 PM
Under $20 on Amazon.

http://amzn.com/B000FJRR2K

Not real. I Mean , yes it is a tangible item, but not a true cold steel .
It seems they have an economy line which appears to be of decent quality, but their offerings in the 200-500.00 range are what I consider when I think of Cold Steel:)

GoodahSP
08-27-2013, 9:48 PM
The OP was looking for a Cold Steel Kukri Machete

Which is this
http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/97KMS/KUKRI_MACHETE_W_SHEATH.aspx

They have a few hundred dollar plus ones that are Gurkha Kukri.

They are all real and they are all true Cold Steel.

Chaparral
08-27-2013, 11:22 PM
I got a South African made one, not the magnum kukhri but the shorter one about four years ago. I have to wear gloves with the handle if I'm putting it to any real use but it does cut, is easy on my effed up wrists and elbows and it holds an edge well enough for yard work, and believe me, I've done some serious brush clearing and small tree removal with the thing. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I'd like a real Nepalese version or two at some point, just for the heck of it.

edit: mine cost around 20 bucks and is made of 1018 steel

desertjosh
08-28-2013, 8:42 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I found one at Turners for 24.99. I didnt know Turners sold Cold Steel (ive only ever gone there for guns). This thing is a beast! After a good sharpening, it cuts deep into anything with ease. I highly reccomend this if anyone is looking for a solid machette.

Dark Mod
08-28-2013, 1:58 PM
Ive got a magnum kukri and the regular sized kukri (as well as 5 or 6 other cold steel machetes)

Its a good machete, ive found it very difficult to put an edge on it for some reason. Ive never gotten it truly sharp, but the weight forward balance of it is perfect for chopping.

I bought their jungle machete which has a very similar blade profile and comes sharpened, and was much more impressed.

desertjosh
08-28-2013, 4:36 PM
Ive got a magnum kukri and the regular sized kukri (as well as 5 or 6 other cold steel machetes)

Its a good machete, ive found it very difficult to put an edge on it for some reason. Ive never gotten it truly sharp, but the weight forward balance of it is perfect for chopping.

I bought their jungle machete which has a very similar blade profile and comes sharpened, and was much more impressed.

Ive read that they came dull, but mine came "kinda" sharp. It was late when i got home, so i just clamped one of those handheld two stone sharpeners in my vise and did a few passes. It was able to shave hair fairly well after that and I called it good. The chopping aspect is the best feature, and ive found the curved blade cuts the thinner wet limbs with basically no effort.

desertjosh
08-31-2013, 12:52 PM
Ok, I still love the machette, but i did manage to roll the edge a bit. The cheap knife sharpener I was using broke in half finally lol. So what is a good, cheap(hopefully), shapener that I can use for this and my other knives as well? Thanks!

tommyboy619
08-31-2013, 1:20 PM
For machetes I just use a file. For the knives I use the Lansky 3 stone system.

yelohamr
09-20-2013, 9:00 PM
Check out Amazon, I bought a cutlass machete and a gladius machete. The prices are less than other sites and delivered in 3 days.

CRTguns
09-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Dude... lookup Condor brand. Golok Machete. amazing thing for less than cold steel money. Don't buy cold steel till you see golok.

Bud K had them for 40 0r 50 bucks... sportsman's warehouse gets 90 for it.

chad allred
09-20-2013, 11:23 PM
I've got a 20 year old carbon 5 cold steel one and love it

CRTguns
09-20-2013, 11:30 PM
you cant get the real original carbon V blades anymore. Not the same stuff.

Condor. Carbon chrome-moly steel.

ElvenSoul
09-27-2013, 3:41 PM
Sycko 911