PDA

View Full Version : Entry level recurve

Damn True
08-19-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm casually considering a recurve to muck around with in the back yard. If I find that I dig it I might think about a bit of bowhunting just to expand my season a bit.

Among the bows available in say the cabella's or basspro catalogs what would you recommend? What features should I look for? What is superfluous? I'm just under 6' ~220lbs and of average upper body strength. If that is useful in recommending size/draw.

V8toytruck
08-20-2013, 2:02 AM
Where are you located?

El Dorado Park near Long Beach has low priced classes. I think $5 for the rental and class.

smird
08-20-2013, 12:07 PM
The archery shop near me uses Chiron Polaris bows for it's classes. The can be had for about $100 new.

870classic
08-20-2013, 9:34 PM
Try renting a bow at a local indoor archery shop and try everything you can. Don't overlook longbows too.

For the Bow:
I would keep it simple to start with. (No sights, stabilizers or accessories.) I would suggest a takedown bow so you can up heavier limbs when you outgrow the draw weight of the bow. Starting off, you may want to try a bow with a draw weight of 30 - 35 pounds and work up to what you need/want. (Assume 50+ pounds for hunting.)

For the Arrows:
Look at wood, fiberglass or aluminum arrows to start with. (Carborfiber arrow shafts are too expensive and brittle to be "starter" arrows.) You'll loose or damage at least a dozen arrows before you really start getting the hang of archery.

Don't forget the finger tab/glove, arm guard, and quiver.

Welcome to the silent sport of archery.
Best regards,
Chris

ATS134
08-20-2013, 10:02 PM
I am new to archery, just started doing it because of my brother.

I am using a samick sage right now, it is a take down recurve and was around 150.I like the fact that I can change out the limb weights.

Shooting wood arrows and some beeman carbons.

Still really new to archery but it is a blast to do and is cool to see progress.

Can't wait till I can get me a thunderstick.

mexicanbear
08-20-2013, 10:53 PM
when choosing a bow its better to go a little to light then to heavy. its very easy to choose a heavy bow weight and get injured. my teacher started everyone out on 25#@28" regardless of size and weight. its most important to master form with perfect form accuracy will follow. also archery is at first and foremost a sport its all about having fun whether your hunting or just practicing

Thanatos2203
08-21-2013, 3:32 PM
For determining size and draw go to a local shop and get measured, they will also let you draw back some bows to determine what weight you are interested in.

I was in my local shop (Wilderness Archery, Rocklin) the other day and they had some nice looking Martin recurves which featured an aluminum riser like a compound. They topped out around $250 (I don't know your price range, I think that was for the Diablo Take-Down) and so you could shoot them with just a rest and then if you decide later on you want to upgrade they would be a great base for adding a sight, improved rest, stabilizer, quiver, etc. Then you could hunt with it or dramatically extend your range and consistency.

Hoyt also makes some similar recurves but they are significantly more expensive.

mexicanbear
08-21-2013, 5:40 PM
Also Depends On What Style You Decide To Shoot. I Shoot Traditional Which Is Just A Stick And A String. I Prefer Shooting With A Wood Handle It Just Fits Better Then The Narrow Compound Grips

Nevertipsy
08-22-2013, 9:18 AM
for Recurve, Samick sage and Martin jaguar are the best bang for buck for beginners. If you go compound bow, HANDS DOWN get a Infinite edge by diamond (bowtech) THAT compound is AMAZING for the price, fully adjustable, good for kids up to adults even. Hope that was able to help ^^ Oh and go to your local store to get sized up for recurve bow, then you can hit ebay for shopping.

wjc
08-24-2013, 7:45 PM
Martin's are good and GreatTree also makes some pretty good recurves.

Black Widows are also nice but may be oout of your price range/experience level at this point.

For your size I'd say a 40-45 pound at 28" draw would be ok. I'm about your size and can pull that pretty easily.

When you buy the bow make sure the limbs are not twisted or warped. That's a sure indication that someone didn't us a bow stringer to unstring it.

Oh, and buy a bow stringer. :D

OHOD
08-28-2013, 7:36 PM
I bought a PSE Razorback.
35lb.

I also bought it to muck around with and enjoy the heck out of shooting the thing. Bought some aluminum and carbon arrows to learn about them. Also bought a fletching alignment tool.

It's amazing how much you can spend on the sport. Just like guns, sky is the limit!

Whenever I go camping I bring the bow to shoot when hanging around the camp.

You can't go wrong with buying an inexpensive set up as mentioned above.
I'm happy with my PSE.
Some people will say they are crap, but hey, I just like to muck around with it.

wjc
08-28-2013, 9:02 PM
Just an FYI...

I had two PSE Sequia longbows. Both of them de-laminated a week after purchase. Could be the bow or how they were stored.

I finally got fed up with PSE and asked Willy Abbat to fix the second one.

Haven't had a problem since...

rodeoflyer
08-29-2013, 9:58 PM
for Recurve, Samick sage and Martin jaguar are the best bang for buck for beginners. If you go compound bow, HANDS DOWN get a Infinite edge by diamond (bowtech) THAT compound is AMAZING for the price, fully adjustable, good for kids up to adults even. Hope that was able to help ^^ Oh and go to your local store to get sized up for recurve bow, then you can hit ebay for shopping.

I own 9 recurves, and my Samick Sage is my go-to bow.

It's not my favorite (that would be the Pearson I have had since I was 8 years old and i'm turning 36 tomorrow).

It's not my most precious (that would be my vintage Bear Kodiak Special hanging on the wall next to me as I type)

It's not my hunting recurve (that would be my Martin X-200)

It's not my most expensive (that would be my Olympic Recurve)

It is simply the cheap, rugged, and effective bow that I can fling arrows with all day long and not care if I forget it outside in the rain because it was $120 and limbs are $40. I don't need to remember what length the riser or limbs are. I can call Lancaster or 3Rivers and say "I have a Sage, and need "X". It doesn't have a case. It's usually bouncing around in the back of my Jeep, and I've been known to occasionally leave it strung and leaning against the wall out in my shop for days (the HORROR!) :p

Samick has sold a ton of them for all the reasons above. I can't think of a reason to start with anything else. The ONLY minor concern would be if True has a long draw length because the Sage tends to stack (i'm too lazy to type out an explanation of stacking - google it). Of all the archery crap I own you would think I have a scale considering my 30.5" draw length but I don't.

blah blah blah - my vote is for the Sage.

As for the Martin Jaguar -

I absolutely disagree with anyone that recommends it for anyone. For those that don't know, the Jaguar is a takedown recurve that uses the riser from a a long ago discontinued compound bow. It does not have a proper shelf (only my Olympic Recurve has a rest), it is noisy as hell, has lots of vibration/shock. I bought mine on a whim because I had a BassPro gift card burning a hole in my pocket. I don't think I fired 50 arrows before I put it away and sold it to some poor sap on Archerytalk.

Short and sweet response - call 3RiversArchery and they will set you up. AS far as traditional gear goes they are the best and will set you up right.

rodeoflyer
08-29-2013, 10:01 PM
I'm happy with my PSE.
Some people will say they are crap, but hey, I just like to muck around with it.

Point

Shoot

Explode

:p

Bongos
08-29-2013, 10:04 PM
remember you are going to use muscles you never used before so just because you have upper body strength...doesn't you mean you can handle a 40lb bow

yoitsbruce
08-30-2013, 1:05 PM
i got a pse takedown recurve 55lb's i shoot instinctively and i get on paper easily. i see some have stabilizers and click releases. which look funny and some compound shooters are very accurate. i chose to stay as primitive as possible. the only dlwn sides in archery i have found is no cowitness in barebones recurve. posture is similar to weaver bullseye shooting. and elbows up. which i have found to effect my pistol shooting. trying to refine and deduce nuances is a pain.

Brianguy
08-30-2013, 3:16 PM
I'm interested in archery as well. Please keep those suggestions coming :popcorn:

Bongos
08-30-2013, 4:50 PM
Point

Shoot

Explode

:p

believe it or not, there is some truth this this.. a guy at my club had this happen to his Great Tree and then to his PSE..

rodeoflyer
08-30-2013, 6:09 PM
I'm interested in archery as well. Please keep those suggestions coming :popcorn:

I'll squash one myth for you right away - you would think it's cheaper than firearms because you don't have to buy ammo. It can become considerably more time consuming and more expensive. :o

wjc
08-30-2013, 7:31 PM
I'll squash one myth for you right away - you would think it's cheaper than firearms because you don't have to buy ammo. It can become considerably more time consuming and more expensive. :o

....ain't that the truth!

The only thing saving my bacon is my ability to make my own arrows, strings, etc.

BTW, Although I prefer 3Rivers...Lancaster Archery is another good online retailer.

Bongos
08-31-2013, 9:10 AM

I don't know, once you become sufficient with a bow and stop losing or breaking arrows, and you get into string making and fletching, the cost goes down significantly.. the problem is, you can never have just one bow, and eventually accumulate a collection.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll161/kh12994/photo2_zpse478f124.jpg (http://s288.photobucket.com/user/kh12994/media/photo2_zpse478f124.jpg.html)